Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The Perfect Drug video was kind of Goth but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You’re gonna tell me pretty hate machine isn’t goth? Aight

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Calling The Perfect Drug video "kind of goth" is like calling the ocean "kind of wet"

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The ocean is only wet if you're not completely in it, hence the perfect drug is definitely goth as well as much of Reznors catalog

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You’re gonna tell me pretty hate machine isn’t goth? Aight

When I think of goth music, I think of Siouxsie, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, etc. None sound like PHM. PHM is more like Depeche Mode with an edgy whine to it.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

depeche mode is goth too

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Goth music, no.
Goth culture, yes.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Everyone I knew growing up who was into NIN, and industrial in general, was a goth. I've always associated them with goth culture.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
NiN is glam goth rock aka dark pop/ pseudo industrial it's not hard to understand this

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

goths are very into industrial rock and ebm and a bunch of other corny spin offs from industrial, it's fairly bizarre to claim otherwise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dr Tran posted:

Goth music, no.
Goth culture, yes.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
There is no """"goth culture""""" without goth music so it's goth music

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Donovan Trip posted:

There is no """"goth culture""""" without goth music so it's goth music

Prove it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's scary jazz.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Closer But It's Ghostbusters By Ray Parker Jr

Happy Halloween y'all

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

was coming here to post this because it's amazing.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fO0c5cQ1B8

Came Back Haunted could probably work too?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy Halloween!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAbDvqPFXvQ

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Ok, I stand corrected. I'd assume Gothic Rock (the term used in the clue) meant rock that sounded like it came from the Victorian Era. Perhaps I described the clue poorly or I’m a bone headed moron (it’s the latter). I’m sorry.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what is the status of reptile when he brings out peter murphy to sing it

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

PHM came out when I was in 6th grade, and I’ve been a fairly big fan since shortly after (later even got a lovely SIN tattoo on my calf that’s annoyed me for 21 years), and honestly the first time I ever heard anyone call NIN goth was in this thread. No argument tho. It fits, I guess.

Every past few years I think about making this version a ringtone, and every year I think about it too late and put it off until the next year.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 1, 2019

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
How goth NIN is varies over time but he's usually, at most, goth adjacent. But just look at the video for March of the Pigs.
https://vimeo.com/3554852

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

empty baggie posted:

PHM came out when I was in 6th grade, and I’ve been a fairly big fan since shortly after (later even got a lovely SIN tattoo on my calf that’s annoyed me for 21 years), and honestly the first time I ever heard anyone call NIN goth was in this thread. No argument tho. It fits, I guess.

Every past few years I think about making this version a ringtone, and every year I think about it too late and put it off until the next year.

and now ringtones are out.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The only thing I remember about early NIN discussion was about how it wasn’t industrial. I remember hearing mad fights during freshman lunch in the early to mid 90’s about how Trent was ripping off Einstürzende Neubauten, and kmfdm and throbbing gristle were so much more authentic. It’s even more amusing now looking back but I guess the outcasts in my NE TN school system valued industrial far more than goth. E: keep in mind this is before the internet and I’m sure most of those people hadn’t actually heard those bands, just secondhand info. I know I had always heard of einstürzende neubauten but never actually heard them until college.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 1, 2019

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Everything must be labeled and pigeonholed. Even artists that go out of their way to avoid it.

I'm okay with rock, industrial, alternative, goth, electronica, really anything but dance. Don't call NIN dance music.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Why call it dance music when it’s clearly techno!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

empty baggie posted:

The only thing I remember about early NIN discussion was about how it wasn’t industrial. I remember hearing mad fights during freshman lunch in the early to mid 90’s about how Trent was ripping off Einstürzende Neubauten, and kmfdm and throbbing gristle were so much more authentic. It’s even more amusing now looking back but I guess the outcasts in my NE TN school system valued industrial far more than goth. E: keep in mind this is before the internet and I’m sure most of those people hadn’t actually heard those bands, just secondhand info. I know I had always heard of einstürzende neubauten but never actually heard them until college.

that stuff happened a lot with 'industrial' because industrial mutated into a bunch of different things including dance and guitar music that didn't have much to do with its original usage. and different groups of people like different branches of it and don't think the others are real. try telling an ebm person about this sick industrial band nurse with wound and they probably won't like it. so the people saying it wasn't really industrial were right in the sense that nin doesn't have much to do with throbbing gristle or spk or non.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Emo

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

loving awesome

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
loving Awesome Man
loving Awesome Man
loving Awesome Man
loving Awesome Man

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Genres are better when you can just throw however many you want in there, like tags on a blog post, rather than a category to file something under.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
NIN is actually a genre of music referred to as "fistfuck"

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Pontificating rear end posted:

NIN is actually a genre of music referred to as "fistfuck"

fistfuck actually was the name of an early power electronics/performance art band featuring stephen stapleton's wife and a lot of bondage gear.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Island Nation posted:

Trent is a question (with a picture) on tonight's Jeopardy involving American Gothic. The clue writers seemed to think Industrial=Goth

No one recogized him.

https://twitter.com/notmarkcameron/status/1189330030557454336?s=21

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Obviously they missed it because Alex called NiN "hard rock"

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

Everything must be labeled and pigeonholed. Even artists that go out of their way to avoid it.

I'm okay with rock, industrial, alternative, goth, electronica, really anything but dance. Don't call NIN dance music.

But they were on Dance Party Usa :razz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVtrLrTWwE

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Well he only said "gothic feel" and I think we can agree that Trent Reznór got some gothic feels

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

But they were on Dance Party Usa :razz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVtrLrTWwE

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

got a delayed shipment notification with an unknown delivery date for the Watchmen Vol 1 vinyl, sounds like Amazon oversold it like crazy so I just canceled it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Episode 3 had some of the best score work by Trent and Atticus

Goddamn