Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Does ki fueled strike do anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well it's trip someone and do extra damage, rather than just trip someone. (Which anyone can do.)
A trip + 1d6 damage once per short rest, compared to +2 damage on every attack. Assuming an average of 12 damage per attack, if you make more than 10 attacks per short rest you're better off taking Duellist and just giving up an attack to shove a guy.

change my name posted:

Being able to change maneuvers every day instead of... never is a big improvement.
It's a big improvement on something needing a huge improvement while the already massively superior options get an even bigger improvement. Also limited to one archetype unless you give up your fighting style and as per above, don't do that.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 4, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

change my name posted:

Being able to change maneuvers every day instead of... never is a big improvement.

If only there were more than 3 maneuvers worth using.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Conspiratiorist posted:

Hey, some of the new ones from this UA are pretty good.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

rodbeard posted:

Does ki fueled strike do anything?

It works with the spell-like abilities you get from Four Elements and Shadow, for example. At this point it'd be easier to allow using a bonus action for an extra unarmed strike, no questions asked, but that's 5e for you.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

We just got a bunch of new ones that are pretty good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Splicer posted:

A trip + 1d6 damage once per short rest, compared to +2 damage on every attack. Assuming an average of 12 damage per attack, if you make more than 10 attacks per short rest you're better off taking Duellist and just giving up an attack to shove a guy.

It's a big improvement on something needing a huge improvement while the already massively superior options get an even bigger improvement. Also limited to one archetype unless you give up your fighting style and as per above, don't do that.

It depends on what you are taking. As well the UA introduces new fighting styles and the ability to swap them on a level up. If you don't like the extra maneuver you can swap it out later.

Toshimo posted:

Has any UA actually been published in a book, yet?

Pretty much everything in Xanathar's Guide was in a UA.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 5, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Fighter: has the option to get a single superiority die and a single maneuver.
Paladin: has the option to get two cleric cantrips.
Ranger: has the option to get two druid cantrips.

This is fair and balanced. :hmmyes:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

To be fair I don't think any Paladin would actually take that option because Cleric cantrips are probably not worth the loss of Defense/GWF.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Baller Ina posted:

The first level Ranger variants seem to be a better choice than the UA Ranger they already put out and kiiiinda makes it into a real class, maybe? Definitely got my degenerate multi-classing mind buzzing at least.

Hunter's Mark not requiring a spell slot or concentration is a huge deal. Maybe now the Ranger will actually bother casting some other spells.

e: Even at the most basic level, freeing up concentration means you can have Hunter's Mark for 1d6 and Flame Arrow for another 1d6 active at the same time for a nice 2d6 damage boost.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 5, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Backing up a bit, what the hell is going on with Spiritual Weapon anyway? It's the only useful-amounts-of-damage-over-time spell I know of that doesn't require concentration to keep up; it basically just turns your bonus action into a reliable amount of force damage. And clerics don't have a whole lot competing for their bonus action that I've seen (they have some bonus action healing, but hopefully you don't need that most of the time), so it just seems like such a no brainer to have out in every fight pretty much from as soon as you get second-level spells.

Speaking as a wizard, I would love to have that spell. The wizard equivalent is Flaming Sphere and it really doesn't compare. Sure it has AoE and still burns stuff even if you don't move it...but those really don't make up for needing to spend concentration on the spell.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Ranger spellcasting gets a pretty nice boost all around, between Hunter's Mark, some decent utility spells that don't go against your regular total known, and being able to switch out one spell every day. The new fighting style seems like a trap, though, and do they have all that many spells that would make the druidic focus thing relevant?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I can't wait to beg my GM to let my level 5 ranger use those UA changes.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

How bad would it be if you just gave all of these 'replaces' features as 'enhancements'?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Some of these seem good, some seem worthless.

That said a Ranger who wants to do some stick fighting could grab Shillelagh and attack with Wisdom instead of Str or Dex, which could be useful if they are also getting Wis mod uses of Hunter Mark concentration free per day.

I mean its not how I would have done it, but its better than it was.

I haven't actually gone in and compared the old UA Ranger to all these alternate class features. So no idea which is actually better.

The armor invocation is great, though it requires Pact of the Blade but I would probably want to be a Pact of the Blade if I was going to use it anyway.

I wanted an Invocation that could give a Warlock heavy armor, though I would prefer summon-able not actually material armor. But hey if you can find some plate, maybe magic plate, you can now wear it and maybe not need to focus on Dex for a Hexblade Pact of the Blade.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

What house rules do you guys use?

I really like the change to crits from 2d8+modifiers to 1d8+8+modifiers. Means that all crits are at least decent. They got a 1/20 chance to activate, they should feel great.

I like changing potions from d8+X as a bonus action into 8+X as a standard action to make it a reliable, but tactical choice where they have to decide to use it or not.

I also like this one for shields as giving up a hand for 1AC while being a solid choice, is extremely boring and flavorless:

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1m6NT0iDz

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of that UA stuff is good QoL improvements or minor buffs for classes that need it, but what the gently caress is the deal with giving casters new spell options and greater freedom and versatility to respec the ones they know alongside it?

How does every D&D designer refuse to buff martials without buffing casters at least as much? It's completely insane, like they're terrified of making some weird Mages Local 419 angry and having the entire playerbase go on strike

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Letting spellcasters swap out spells is good, it means that players who make mistakes and aren't experts fix their poo poo over time, and it means if you do some weird build, you don't have to skip necessary things and be useless for half the game because you'll get them for free later. Even spellcasters should be fun at all the levels.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Kaal posted:

I mean that all sounds great, but there is definitely such a thing as players being overly genre-aware. Gandalf tricking his way into keeping his magic staff is fun. Him treating every moment with Saruman as a prelude to inevitable betrayal would be less so. Imagine if Gandalf's party with Bilbo just consisted of him sitting safely at a table in the corner, refusing to try any of the Hobbit's smokeleaf. Why'd he even bother attending?

At a certain point, insisting that "my character refuses to take any risks and is always prepared for battle" stops actually being roleplaying.

I get what people here mean when they say that the PCs meta actions I presented earlier are actually genre-defining to the extent that they are allowing stuff from LOTR to come to life before them and giving them an opportunity for character development. But the flip side, like this comment, says, is that the PCs try waaaay too hard to avoid risk even when it is not really necessary. When I am just trying to let them soak in information or roleplay, which can make the game really drag if they treat all of those moments like potential disasters. From a DMs perspective, PCs use an extraordinary amount of time on unimportant moments but ignore really cool bits you planned for them through their strategies. Which the DM respects and loves about PCs, but can also really frustrate us. But yes, it is sometimes us railroading you, which we sometimes have to do if we want to create a certain atmosphere. Removing armor and weapons is a very simple way to make the PCs feel vulnerable and make them flex their creative muscles or maybe depend on characters that thrive in that environment (Sorcerers, Monks) a bit more than usual. Few other methods can do that. The thing is, yes the players should be afraid to some extent. But IMO should try to make up for it with decision making rather than METAS PARANOIS condition that pisses off DMs to no end.

Relevant: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=615

Midig fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 5, 2019

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Midig posted:

I really like the change to crits from 2d8+modifiers to 1d8+8+modifiers. Means that all crits are at least decent. They got a 1/20 chance to activate, they should feel great.

I like changing potions from d8+X as a bonus action into 8+X as a standard action to make it a reliable, but tactical choice where they have to decide to use it or not.

I also like this one for shields as giving up a hand for 1AC while being a solid choice, is extremely boring and flavorless:

I've been using the "extra dice from crits are always max value" rule for a while and it's been a positive change, knowing for certain that a crit is going to be a substantial chunk of damage means that seeing that 20 feels like a big deal, like it's supposed to.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

In my experience people scream about 20s no matter what the context or effect of them is

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Has anyone run an Oblex encounter before? It has the ability to create 1d4+1 minions attached to its body, but do they share the same HP pool or each have their original stats? (The Oblex is a giant slime that can eat people and then recreate them, memories and all, from its mass)
Also curious about its eat memory ability, and whether the affected creature gets its memory back after a long rest since their stats go back to normal.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

change my name posted:

Has anyone run an Oblex encounter before? It has the ability to create 1d4+1 minions attached to its body, but do they share the same HP pool or each have their original stats? (The Oblex is a giant slime that can eat people and then recreate them, memories and all, from its mass)
Also curious about its eat memory ability, and whether the affected creature gets its memory back after a long rest since their stats go back to normal.

They are all the Oblex, so in a fight the actions can come from any one of them, but they don't get extra actions. And the person whose memories were eaten will get their memories back after a rest, this (the memory restoration) is included in the text of the Eat Memories ability

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Lol my gaming club took an official no 5e policy tonight as part of starting a new set of games because of Mearls, Zak, and the Pundit. Great job on making this the rapist abuser Nazi edition Wizards.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Madmarker posted:

They are all the Oblex, so in a fight the actions can come from any one of them, but they don't get extra actions. And the person whose memories were eaten will get their memories back after a rest, this (the memory restoration) is included in the text of the Eat Memories ability

Ah, okay, so that actually makes it way weaker than I thought, since I thought each simulacrum could act independently.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Midig posted:

We have a bunch of them and are always trying out new things. Max damage on one die of a crit is a good baby step.

Other ones we've tried that we like and have kept:
Heavy armor gives damage reduction against physical damage like Heavy Armor Mastery of its AC-14 so full plate for example gives 4 points of DR. Seems to make strength builds more viable vs Dex just being king.

Declaring an attack as dealing non lethal damage if you want to capture people etc.

If you have over 15 str, add +2 to your Con score, over 17 add +3 to Con . Also just gives strength builds a little help., and helps bridge the Str/Con split that this thread has pointed out is dumb.

We've also started using scaling advantage/disadvantage dice like bless/bane for different things instead of just advantage on a d20. Add/subtract a d4/d6/d8/d10 to your roll depending on circumstances/abilities-d8 is pretty normal, d4 for flanking. We mostly like that, but it is definitely still in the trial phase.

I have considered switching initiative to being Wisdom/perception based like PF2e instead of DEX to make Dex less universally amazing, but we're in the middle of a campaign now and that's big change for characters that were built with one set of rules in mind.

I also heavily mod all the monsters to give them interesting things to do and give them higher ACs so they aren't total punching bags that can survive more than 2 rounds.

I'm not really sure we're actually playing 5e anymore but we like it a whole lot more this way.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One thing to consider about house rules that try to correct Dex Supremacy is that they should emphasize buffing Strength rather than nerfing Dexterity (i.e. removing Dex to initiative). Dexterity is a great stat, but it's only overpowered relative to Strength; the three mental stats are used for spellcasting, which are the most diverse and powerful suites of abilities in the game by far, while Constitution is just as important a secondary stat as Dexterity. It's less that Dex is OP and more that Str is bad.

Dexterity really only feels like it's a god stat if it's also your class's primary, and all the Dex-primary classes (Rogue, Monk, Ranger) are on the bottom half - and arguably the very bottom - of any sane tier list.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

change my name posted:

Ah, okay, so that actually makes it way weaker than I thought, since I thought each simulacrum could act independently.

Yeah, however, you can run the monster however you want really, if you are trying to make it a more difficult encounter, just give it the extra actions. However, what makes the Oblex dangerous is its out of combat capabilities, of impersonating someone perfectly and using that to lure the PCs into hazards, and ambushes, and traps. Have fun impersonating some poor sap who the PCs free from a cage in the dungeon, and have this person suggest that the fiend who is responsible (who also happens to match the description of the BBEG that the PCs are after) is here, just beyond this door (which is actually a trap that opens into a pit with a gelatinous cube in it or something).

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 5, 2019

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

One thing to consider about house rules that try to correct Dex Supremacy is that they should emphasize buffing Strength rather than nerfing Dexterity (i.e. removing Dex to initiative). Dexterity is a great stat, but it's only overpowered relative to Strength; the three mental stats are used for spellcasting, which are the most diverse and powerful suites of abilities in the game by far, while Constitution is just as important a secondary stat as Dexterity. It's less that Dex is OP and more that Str is bad.

Dexterity really only feels like it's a god stat if it's also your class's primary, and all the Dex-primary classes (Rogue, Monk, Ranger) are on the bottom half - and arguably the very bottom - of any sane tier list.

You could probably just remove Constitution and change all the Con checks into Str checks. A stat that everyone has 14 in might as well not exist at all.

If players want to be abnormally tough for their class they can take the "tough" feat.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I like the variant stuff but there's some wonky stuff in there, like the Ranger's spells being the wrong levels and Intercept allowing you to parry attacks coming at you. The former is definitely unintended, the latter probably should be but I'm down with just trading out +1 AC for gently caress you levels of damage reduction every turn.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

professional game designers posted:

Quickened Healing
As an action, you can spend 2 ki points and roll a Martial Arts die. You regain a number of hit points equal to the number rolled.

Ahh yes this is a thing I am likely to use

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Merge str and con

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyA6qseI1ew&t=4745s

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

It depends on what you are taking.
Usually when someone says something like this they provide a counter-example.

Mendrian posted:

How bad would it be if you just gave all of these 'replaces' features as 'enhancements'?
It would in fact be good, as can be observed by the caster classes getting all their new stuff for free.

Ramos posted:

I like the variant stuff but there's some wonky stuff in there, like the Ranger's spells being the wrong levels and Intercept allowing you to parry attacks coming at you. The former is definitely unintended, the latter probably should be but I'm down with just trading out +1 AC for gently caress you levels of damage reduction every turn.
Fortunately it's still in UA so this horrifically overpowered oversight can be errataed instead of "clarified".

A lot of that UA stuff is good QoL improvements or minor buffs for classes that need it, but what the gently caress is the deal with giving casters new spell options and greater freedom and versatility to respec the ones they know alongside it?
That's what I'm saying. The shittiest, most mealy mouthed possible implementation of "every martial gets superiority dice" aside, if these had just be thrown down in isolation I'd be all "holy poo poo did they hire a new person who actually saw a sport once or something". But as it is it's like Tiny Tim getting the splinters polished off his crutch while Scrooge strides down the street in a new mech suit.

How does every D&D designer refuse to buff martials without buffing casters at least as much? It's completely insane, like they're terrified of making some weird Mages Local 419 angry and having the entire playerbase go on strike
That's literally how they view the 4e era so...

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

Almost all the fighter and barbarian stuff is instead of, almost all the caster stuff is as well as.

Ryuujin posted:

Some of these seem good, some seem worthless.

That said a Ranger who wants to do some stick fighting could grab Shillelagh and attack with Wisdom instead of Str or Dex, which could be useful if they are also getting Wis mod uses of Hunter Mark concentration free per day.

I mean its not how I would have done it, but its better than it was.

I haven't actually gone in and compared the old UA Ranger to all these alternate class features. So no idea which is actually better.

The armor invocation is great, though it requires Pact of the Blade but I would probably want to be a Pact of the Blade if I was going to use it anyway.

I wanted an Invocation that could give a Warlock heavy armor, though I would prefer summon-able not actually material armor. But hey if you can find some plate, maybe magic plate, you can now wear it and maybe not need to focus on Dex for a Hexblade Pact of the Blade.
I'm particularly in favour of those Warlock additions, the Ranger options and new manoeuvres are also pretty interesting.

Of course, when or if a new book comes out, good luck ever getting that poo poo into an AL game. PHB+1 is a joke. I can understand not wanting too disparate power levels and the GMs not having to put up with knowing every book, but primary casters get the most toys anyway, which this UA is showing again.

Arivia posted:

Lol my gaming club took an official no 5e policy tonight as part of starting a new set of games because of Mearls, Zak, and the Pundit. Great job on making this the rapist abuser Nazi edition Wizards.
That is legit good on y'all.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

Merge str and con
Death To Ability Scores. You basically do if you play a Hexblade with that new armour invocation. And solve the Dex issue.

Just mainline Charisma for your attack and damage, Con for staying power, wear heavy armour, be Sauron.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dinictus posted:

Death To Ability Scores. You basically do if you play a Hexblade with that new armour invocation. And solve the Dex issue.
Shhh, you gotta let them pull the thread themselves.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

One thing I don't get with the new invocations is why there hasn't been a UA invocation for pact of the chain that lets the familiar scale with level the way the beastmaster Ranger's pet does? Is there some mathy game balance reason that familiars should never get to have scaling AC and proficient attacks?

Octavo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 5, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Rangers have so little going for them as it is, being the "pet class" is about all they have. That shouldn't be made redundant. That'd be my reasoning anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Rangers have so little going for them as it is, being the "pet class" is about all they have. That shouldn't be made redundant. That'd be my reasoning anyway.

The thing is that WotC keeps adding pact of the chain invocations that seem to try to make the familiar viable for combat without caring that the thing can't hit targets and will get crushed once the party gets any distance from level 1. I think if you burn two invocation slots and a pact boon on a feature, it should be functional even if it makes rangers cry.