Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
any time i do ab guard my right shoulder starts screaming when i release the pose so i guess my body is broken, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Countblanc posted:

any time i do ab guard my right shoulder starts screaming when i release the pose so i guess my body is broken, nice.

I hope you're not pulling too hard. It's more just pressing the ring against your stomach while you flex your abs, the game mentions where to target.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When do you get Planks and what style is the exercise?

I've done planks in the past and I'm trying to conceive of this whole rug burn issue

You get them by levelling up iirc, probably around world 4?

And the actual exercise is: going into a plank position and then lifting your hips up and holding it, then going down as one rep

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Xad posted:

the actual exercise is: going into a plank position and then lifting your hips up and holding it, then going down as one rep

i would describe my planks as humping the carpet

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

It is Wednesday, I did world 1 on Saturday, and only now are my thighs starting to recover. Haven’t played since. Maybe I’ll try default mode and see if it’s less painful on my thighs.

For me, the first world was the worst, mainly because you have a limited selection of abilities, which means you do a lot of squats and knee presses.
As soon as you can mix things up, its a lot easier.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would be glad to do planks but the tracking on those knee presses did not feel great so I am cautious.

I have been taking it slow and just finished World 3

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Ugh I wish I could install this directly on the Switch; I buy plenty of physical games because it's cheaper to share games amongst my clique of Switch-owning friends, but this is exactly the sort of thing that should rest in the system in perpetuity.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When do you get Planks and what style is the exercise?

I've done planks in the past and I'm trying to conceive of this whole rug burn issue
I was actually hoping it would be holding planks for X seconds or something, but its basically plank position -> hips up -> plank position. I can't figure out how to do this without moving my elbows even slightly against the carpet.

If you can figure out how to go from a proper plank position into hips up in the air without shifting your weight that's on your elbows (and have the game detect it properly), i'm all ears.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I got a better exercise mat so now I can plank!

5 times and then my feet slip why the gently caress is it so many reps holy poo poo.

You can easily cheat though... But that defeats the entire purpose of the game!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I am not ashamed to say I sat down for a chair pose at the end of my day 2 session because god drat this game whips my rear end. Show up every day and do what you can, and don’t go so hard you can’t come back the next day. Your first week will go by and suddenly you don’t hurt so much because your body is getting better at healing itself.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Argue posted:

Ugh I wish I could install this directly on the Switch; I buy plenty of physical games because it's cheaper to share games amongst my clique of Switch-owning friends, but this is exactly the sort of thing that should rest in the system in perpetuity.

Agreed, it's mildly annoying have to constantly switch carts back and forth for a daily workout. Oh well, this is what I get for going 99% physical I guess.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

organburner posted:

You can easily cheat though... But that defeats the entire purpose of the game!
indeed

unearned points are shame points

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
liking the game the just wrapped up day 2, my dog is really confused what I am up to

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Had my first real day of it. Did the first stage, took a break because my joycon batteries died. Came back awhile later for stage two. Decided that even in my terrible shape I wanted a bit tougher workout so upped the difficulty from 10 to 17, finished the world.

Think I need to start setting down a mat for floor exercises. Years of poor posture and a flabby untoned rear end make sitting in the right position for leg-chest presses real uncomfortable on the tailbone.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Had my first real day of it. Did the first stage, took a break because my joycon batteries died. Came back awhile later for stage two. Decided that even in my terrible shape I wanted a bit tougher workout so upped the difficulty from 10 to 17, finished the world.

Think I need to start setting down a mat for floor exercises. Years of poor posture and a flabby untoned rear end make sitting in the right position for leg-chest presses real uncomfortable on the tailbone.

Get a mat, some other later exercises will greatly benefit from not being done on a hard floor.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Warrior Pose 3 hurts my ankle.

On the plus side, I think I've finally got rid of all kinds of squats in my active skills.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i am very unfit

i am going to try an do an extra minute every day

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Only got about one level, so 10ish minutes in yesterday since roommates had family visiting and using the living room. The amount of squats from doing it on silent mode still enough to make my legs ache afterwards.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I bought a Switch and this for the sole purpose of losing weight.
I was mulling over getting an exercise bike, but with my weight and it costing 800+ euros I thought I'd give this a try first.
Haven't tried it yet, need to make room in my small gaming room. But soon.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Doing planks convinced me that I need an exercise mat.

This is serious exercising.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Um does doing the defense ab guard better or worse have an effect on damage taken? I just lost to bossman from full health with a double punch that took 2 hearts each even with the guard up.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Um does doing the defense ab guard better or worse have an effect on damage taken? I just lost to bossman from full health with a double punch that took 2 hearts each even with the guard up.

If you're even a couple levels under the recommended you're going to take a ton of damage. The window for defense is pretty tight so make sure you're upgrading outfits and keep stock on defense up smoothies.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Feels weird to have your 4 year old beg you to exercise just so she can watch you play the game.

I have no idea why she enjoys it so much but it is good motiviation!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

Feels weird to have your 4 year old beg you to exercise just so she can watch you play the game.

I have no idea why she enjoys it so much but it is good motiviation!

Yep! My 3 year old has been the same. Constantly bugging me to “lets go run and bop monsters!”

Definitely helps with the motivation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nearing the end of world 4 and hit level 25, I really like the core exercises they have unlocked (I had been a fan of planks even before this game), also I'm especially looking forward to more yoga poses.

Coincidentally I am also at difficulty 25, maybe I'll try to raise the difficulty with each level up?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Did my first day of this on Saturday and my legs are still killing me. I hate squats with my life. Planning on doing it day on/day off, at about half an hour each time.

For a man who hates cardio, watching numbers go up is a weirdly more compelling reason to exercise than "Otherwise your heart will burst at forty".

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't understand the ab guard; I definitely feel it in my arms and never my stomach, like it says I should.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Argue posted:

I don't understand the ab guard; I definitely feel it in my arms and never my stomach, like it says I should.

As best I can tell, it's about making sure that you aren't resting it on any bones (too high or too low can do this) and are pressing out with your abs as you push in.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Argue posted:

Brace your stomach like you are expecting to be punched in the gut. Hold that the whole time.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

also don't worry, you'll feel the MEGA AB GUARD

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Flint_Paper posted:

Did my first day of this on Saturday and my legs are still killing me. I hate squats with my life. Planning on doing it day on/day off, at about half an hour each time.

For a man who hates cardio, watching numbers go up is a weirdly more compelling reason to exercise than "Otherwise your heart will burst at forty".

Very much same for me, except that my compelling reason is watching videos of pulmonary embolism/deep vein thrombosis surgeries and realizing that holy gently caress I am going to die painfully if I don’t do something.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm 37 and just had a kid and that whole "uh, huh, I kinda want to be around to see this kid graduate and get married and do life things" thing. I'm definitely in the obese category, but my job is very physical just not particularly cardio-y. So I'm really strong, just fat-strong and winded easily.

Quick question though, I keep hearing about squats. My knees aren't great, how hard is this game on them? I know not as hard as continuing to be 300 pounds is gonna be on them, but still, I want to lose some weight before I start doing anything to stressing on myself.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Saxophone posted:

I'm 37 and just had a kid and that whole "uh, huh, I kinda want to be around to see this kid graduate and get married and do life things" thing. I'm definitely in the obese category, but my job is very physical just not particularly cardio-y. So I'm really strong, just fat-strong and winded easily.

Quick question though, I keep hearing about squats. My knees aren't great, how hard is this game on them? I know not as hard as continuing to be 300 pounds is gonna be on them, but still, I want to lose some weight before I start doing anything to stressing on myself.

As a person of half that mass I can't really comment on squats vs. knees but they're a lot of work in the quads. If you have to lift heavy things you probably already squat to do so (lift with your legs!), so go off that.

That said, the game does do an initial calibration on your range of motion (which I believe you can recalibrate at will). It takes a lot of motion for me to activate the high-knees or sprinting in the jogging sections, but my son was a lot less enthusiastic in his calibration and it detects those with a lot less from him.

On cardio, I do think the game could use some longer levels, or with the battles lumped at the end so you spend more time on the aerobics like jogging or the twisty-abs rowing. Some sessions I'm sore but feeling good, others I'm sweating and chugging water from the cardio. I guess that's a good thing since you're supposed to vary your workouts?

Anyway, get it, get fit. Make numbers go up, including your lifespan. It's a total win.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Saxophone posted:

It's heaviest on squats if you're doing silent mode where you do like, quick shallow squats instead of running in place. As another near 300-ish pound goon though, I haven't had much issue with my knees beyond when I over-extended a little my first day of dynamic stretching (which to be fair was one day after walking a long distance dragging luggage). Really feeling the burn in the quads but my joints themselves have felt fine. I kind of do pretty short stretches though, like 10 minutes on the in-game timer at once, until I build up better stamina.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saxophone posted:

I'm about 265, but walking and standing all day. I have had no issues, if that helps any.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

I'm a tiny dad and my knees hurt the first few days but now (two weeks in) it's my ankles that hurt instead!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

At level 65 the skill tree expands, and you can pay skill points to unlock, get this, Plank Lv. 2.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

SelenicMartian posted:

At level 65 the skill tree expands, and you can pay skill points to unlock, get this, Plank Lv. 2.

how are you 65 already?? I'm like... 17

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I'm at level 40 after doing 15-20 minutes of active time sessions for about 10 sessions.

I might try to do the leg gym again today... Maybe... Mountain climber loving kills me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I've been doing this daily since the release date, sometimes for 40+ active minutes. Now I go easy, because Warrior 3 hurt my ankle :argh: