Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SirViver posted:

In general I feel ROTR has a lot of game systems or design decisions that are just not that interesting (after the first few times of using it) and waste your time for no or too little benefit. See: crafting, dialogue options requiring to be listened to the end to trigger their effect, at times being too much of a walking simulator, etc. Also the new tutorial that moved the teleporter to the top floor in the starting building seems like something that was done for development convenience without a second thought about the consequences for the player. These aren't necessarily huge issues individually, but all taken together the ratio of actually interesting things to time wasters just seems a bit off.

I haaaate the Translocator being moved to the top loving floor. It's such a pointless nuisance for no actual benefit. The tutorial's something you'll do maybe once, while the Translocator's gonna be used repeatedly and needs to be close the Honeybake Hamlet ones for convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

My own interpretation is that Apple noticed AR is still too far away to offer a good, solid, polished product, usable in the real world, which is why their team was disbanded. A partnership with Valve makes sense because if even it's done in collaboration between the two, it will be released under Valve's name so the expectations of what a iProduct has to be quality wise won't be there.
Well, Apple did actually build the iPad before the iPhone, and used Motorola to make the ROKR and learn about phones before they came out with the iPhone...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My guess is they're cribbing off whatever's useful from the SteamVR API for tracking purposes, and standardizing against it for software at the same time.

Thats unlikely to be the case even if the end result will look like that. They quit the OpenXR committee quite a while ago. My guess is this is a strategic play because they know their weaknesses in their desktop app store and the hardcore gamer market are shored up by Valve’s strength in those plus it being the only credible competitor for consumers.

I think tethering to a non Apple device is probably unlikely initially but perhaps some sort of crossbuy with Steam is...possible, though unconventional. (Edit: depends on whether they’re trying to feed their phone ecosystem or retain control over the software. Both are plausible to some degree)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Luneshot posted:

Alright, still pretty new to VR so this is going to be a dumb question.

Is there any trick to getting a headset to not slip without having it so tight that it gives me a headache? I wear glasses and I have a Rift S. I think the IPD range is fine (62) from my admittedly-rather-crude measurement with a ruler in the mirror. When I'm nudging the headset around on my face, there's a tiny spot where everything is clear, and I'd love to see everything in VR that way, but even the tiniest amount of slip from moving my head seems to degrade the view noticeably.

It stays on my face and doesn't feel like it's moving at all, but the "sweet spot" for the view not being slightly blurry seems pretty small, and I find myself adjusting the headset fairly regularly- mostly vertically, but sometimes horizontally. I've especially noticed it in H3VR, in that my dominant eye (right) is usually pretty blurry when I close my left eye to try and look down the iron sights. If I nudge the headset to the left, both eyes are sharp, but it doesn't stay there.

Apologies if this is an "explain like I'm five" level of simplicity, but any advice would be appreciated.

That's kinda how it goes, so you generally just have to find a place that's a balance between firm enough to stay in place but not so firm its squeezing your head.

Don't have a Rift S and dunno what the default is like but getting a nice leather face cover makes a big difference on comfort.

SirViver posted:

So, I gave ROTR normal mode another go and... it's getting better.

:words:

* Scribbles down notes *

interesting

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 4, 2019

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I did one of those Avengers experiences in VR recently. The kit was basically a backpack PC running a Vive but somehow they did individual finger tracking inside the game with no gloves or anything - anyone know how that's accomplished? Seemed like 90% accurate somehow!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.leapmotion.com/ probably something like this

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Speaking of, at some point I'm planning a weekend trip to The Cities to do the Star Wars experience at The VOID with some friends. Anyone been who can say if it's worth it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Owlbear Camus posted:

Speaking of, at some point I'm planning a weekend trip to The Cities to do the Star Wars experience at The VOID with some friends. Anyone been who can say if it's worth it?

Voids cool.

No idea that exp, but the void itself is cool.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've done the star wars one. It's fun to try once but I wouldn't pay another 40 bucks to try it again, even if it was a totally different 'experience'.

High fiving your storm trooper buddies is the highlight for sure.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Shine posted:

H3VR's Take & Hold is fun as poo poo, goddamn. He really polished it up since the original WIP I played.

Yes, I think H3VR Take & Hold is the best thing there exists in VR right now. The timing/difficulty/locomotion (armswingers)/reloading and feeling of exhilaration when you finish a hold with 200 hp is really something special.

I've been trying to work with the remote rendering solutions with Quest (ALVR seems broken right now, the new Virtual Desktop is super sharp but I'm having judder). I think my ideal game VR would be Take and Hold with small arena scale physical locomotion during the holds (I've got around 37x27 in my backyard, and a private lockable park that much bigger very close). I think I have enough space for most of the holds (if I reset my play space carefully before every hold), and physically running then ducking behind cover to reload/find the enemies would be amazing.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 4, 2019

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
H3VR is great but the short comings of the design and apparent complexity of the underlying code base that makes adding things like separating certain actions to be trigger or grab input only unfeasible is starting to frustrate me that I can't mod H3VR and fix these things myself.

It's driving me dangerously close to starting my own VR Gun sim project like Zaphod42 is. I wanna experiment with something between Boneworks and H3VR. Having deep gun simulation and environmental interaction while also making it not a horrific chore to enjoy the drat thing.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

JonTerp posted:

H3VR is great but the short comings of the design and apparent complexity of the underlying code base that makes adding things like separating certain actions to be trigger or grab input only unfeasible is starting to frustrate me that I can't mod H3VR and fix these things myself.

It's driving me dangerously close to starting my own VR Gun sim project like Zaphod42 is. I wanna experiment with something between Boneworks and H3VR. Having deep gun simulation and environmental interaction while also making it not a horrific chore to enjoy the drat thing.

Yeah, I know that feeling. I haven't followed H3 development from the start, but it seems to me that it really started out as just a small project about dicking around with guns in VR, that then unexpectedly grew massively in size and scope, as tends to happen. Some of the "can't be done" answers Anton gives to certain requests just raise little red flags in my developer brain, and from a software engineering point of view very much hint at missing abstractions, most likely caused by some functionalities having being added too hastily in a too hardcoded/non-extensible way on top of a framework that wasn't properly designed for it. Not that it really could've been from the start unless you can predict the future, but part of good design is making it so that later modifications remain feasible as requirements change. Like it's really baffling how it's apparently completely impossible to make configurable grip and release force thresholds, or grip point offsets, or magazine hold angles (so that the alternate pistol mag angle isn't useless on the Index), or making it so that engaging the grip action ahead of time will just snap to the object/climb grip area once it intersects, but I guess that's just the way it is now.

I think the other major difficulty at this point - and I believe that's maybe more of the reason why your request in particular won't be done - is that H3 has become too large, meaning too many guns and items for Anton and the other devs to properly handle. Any change that requires adding metadata information, like in the case of your request tagging each item whether it is "small" or "large" (or inventing proper, more generic categorizations) to differentiate which grip point would be allowed to interact with it, is now just too much work for something that may only be useful to a small number of players.

I really like H3 but it could be improved in so many ways :sigh:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Truga posted:

https://www.leapmotion.com/ probably something like this

Exactly that, most VOID locations are heavily customized Rift CV1s with a Leap Motion v1 stuck on the front. I've been hearing about upgraded HMDs at the newer venues though.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Interesting, thanks.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

SirViver posted:

Yeah, I know that feeling. I haven't followed H3 development from the start, but it seems to me that it really started out as just a small project about dicking around with guns in VR, that then unexpectedly grew massively in size and scope, as tends to happen...

Yeah. That’s exactly how I feel. Anton going “that’s unfeasible” made my Technical Producer brain go “wait what?”.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anton's been pretty open in devlogs and some discussion replies about feature creep being a problem. They have actually rebuilt old code a few times now though (it's why muzzle brakes, underbarrel launchers, and bayonets exist), it's just a real undertaking for their small team to pull off. Especially for anything that requires individually tweaking all the guns.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anton's been pretty open in devlogs and some discussion replies about feature creep being a problem. They have actually rebuilt old code a few times now though (it's why muzzle brakes, underbarrel launchers, and bayonets exist), it's just a real undertaking for their small team to pull off. Especially for anything that requires individually tweaking all the guns.

It's a classic example of over scoping. I feel like Anton and his team have done a good job with the situation they're in but man. They need to move on.

They need to wrap up dev on H3VR by putting final touches on Take & Hold and finishing the MEATS mode. Then get a fresh-ish start on a new game. Develop a better framework, write some tools to make managing their 100s of guns feasible for their team size, or better yet, don't add 200 guns when you can count the number of team members on a single hand. New income from a fresh game is also huge for overall growth of the team.

VR dev is a nightmare right now because everyone wants you to support their headset / input method of choice, no matter how jank and bad they are. VR teams have it ROUGH to put it mildly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

Yeah when is Oculus link releasing anyway

November?

Probably they will announce the beta at 11:59pm the day of Thanksgiving, sell an absolute poo poo ton of them Friday, and then two weeks of buggy link issues before they get it sorted, six more months before it gets out of beta

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

November?

Probably they will announce the beta at 11:59pm the day of Thanksgiving, sell an absolute poo poo ton of them Friday, and then two weeks of buggy link issues before they get it sorted, six more months before it gets out of beta

No, they've said the Beta is before the cable releases. I'm guessing it'll be a few weeks prior to catch the kinds of weird bugs that only pop up by letting thousands of people play with and break something leading up to the cable's release.

Also Lenovo's set the Black Friday price for the Rift S at $350USD. Any takers on Oculus massively undercutting that for the Quest's price?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Stormland is supposed to have a release date of November 14th right? Who's hyped for that? I think it's the highest budget VR exclusive thus far?

There's 20 mins of gameplay without commentary and all my non-VR friends were really impressed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28lM5Hxf78U

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Calipark posted:

It's a classic example of over scoping. I feel like Anton and his team have done a good job with the situation they're in but man. They need to move on.

Yeah, as H3's early access has worn on, I've found myself wondering if Anton has a cutoff point in mind, where the game would effectively be "done". I'm with you in that finishing up T&H and a few of the other modes would be enough.

Starting over from scratch is a daunting proposition, but there have got to be things he wants to do at this point that the existing codebase makes either impractical or impossible. Best to do it soon, before H3 reaches saturation and the sales start drying up.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.
at first i didnt understand H3VR, then i started playing with it more and enjoying it more. Then i started watching his dev logs and fell in love. I'd gladly Throw money at him to give him an opportunity to start his code new and fresh with his new knowledge.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
OK, I finally took some time and did a Quest Wifi Streaming Latency comparison with ALVR Experimental v7 against the latest Virtual Desktop 1.7.0 (with the new Sliced / Forveated Encoding)

Monitor is an Alienware AW3418DW running at 120hz Gsync on, driven by an RTX 2080

On Virtual Desktop I used the sideloaded app and streamed the desktop.

On ALVR I launched Steam VR and used the "Desktop" feature on this. It may have a large difference vs running an actual VR game, but I don't know of a way to count frames in VR.

Comparison video used was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzYIrNpGB80

Results:

code:
HEVC Virtual Desktop:

26.16 monitor
26.11 oculus

23.98 monitor
23.93 oculus

22.86 monitor
22.83 oculus

264 virtual desktop:

24.76 monitor
24.71 oculus

27.48 monitor
27.45 oculus

18.76 monitor
18.71 oculus

alvr 15mbit hevc:

16.06 monitor
15.93 oculus

13.86 monitor
13.73 oculus

9.78 monitor
9.66 oculus

alvr 15mbit 264:

16.58 monitor
16.45 oculus

15.41 monitor
15.25 oculus

13.18 monitor
12.98 oculus
I was very surprised to see that in both cases, frames from the PC desktop were displayed sooner on the Quest than they were displayed on my monitor. Most reviews state that the Alienware has between 3.75 and 5.3 milliseconds of input lag so I don't understand how the Oculus can beat it to rendering. Anyway, seems like ALVR is still faster. Virtual Desktop seems to be much higher quality, however. Even VR games with high bitrate visuals (like the extreme particle displays in Tetris Effect) didn't slow Virtual Desktop down or cause any compression artifacts like they sometimes do on ALVR. I had a hard GPU crash on the PC while playing 30 minutes in on Virtual Desktop, I'll see if that reoccurs.

If anyone has a high-speed camera, and/or can write a simple desktop VR app to count up in frames, we could get an even more accurate comparison.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 5, 2019

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Calipark posted:

I 1000% disagree. They need to keep working on H3VR as people are playing it. It's one of the highest played VR games, if it can stay that way it will also stay one of the highest selling games.

Stopping development to work on a VR sequel is monetary suicide. I do think they should consider raising the price, or at least commit to $20 is the lowest it will ever be no matter what (don't wait for a sale).

VR is growing and if you can stay one of the best selling (or played) VR games, for years to come you will make buckets of money. The Holopoint developer stopped the development of Holopoint to make a sequel. Did you know he made Holopoint Chronicles?

Success is so hard in VR, that he shouldn't step away form what success they have. Adding and adding has converter many pirates into buyers, and many buyers into fans, if he can keep adding and adding for years and getting more and more purchases he'll be successful.

I think he could consider starting to make new things DLC instead of free, but the VR market is growing and there are new potential buyers every day, so keeping the product steady could pay off very well.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 5, 2019

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I was very surprised to see that in both cases, frames from the PC desktop were displayed sooner on the Quest than they were displayed on my monitor. Most reviews state that the Alienware has between 3.75 and 5.3 milliseconds of input lag so I don't understand how the Oculus can beat it to rendering. Anyway, seems like ALVR is still faster.

Which ALVR were you using? I tried beta 5 from Github recently and it hardly was functional (only one controller, no buttons work).

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Stick100 posted:

Which ALVR were you using? I tried beta 5 from Github recently and it hardly was functional (only one controller, no buttons work).

That one is broke, use this fork:

https://github.com/JackD83/ALVR/releases

I still haven't figured out a way to get it perfect without totally disabling Windows Firewall and unplugging my modem, but drat is it perfect when I do.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Zero VGS posted:

Stormland is supposed to have a release date of November 14th right? Who's hyped for that? I think it's the highest budget VR exclusive thus far?
This is your annual reminder that any game released in November inevitably requires months worth of patches to be reasonable and you're better off just waiting

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Stick100 posted:

I 1000% disagree. They need to keep working on H3VR as people are playing it. It's one of the highest played VR games, if it can stay that way it will also stay one of the highest selling games.

Stopping development to work on a VR sequel is monetary suicide. I do think they should consider raising the price, or at least commit to $20 is the lowest it will ever be no matter what (don't wait for a sale).
Switching to a DLC model is an obvious in-between solution. It doesn't have to be onerous $$ for every skin/gun/whatever - big "sequel-like" expansion packs could be a thing people are happy to pay for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ShadowHawk posted:

Switching to a DLC model is an obvious in-between solution. It doesn't have to be onerous $$ for every skin/gun/whatever - big "sequel-like" expansion packs could be a thing people are happy to pay for.

Fuuuck no. That's just more work for no gain and an unhappy playerbase that's been splintered. Especially as they now have to code everything with the idea that it works with or without the expansion(s), multiplying their workload into several simultaneous builds to maintain during development and testing.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fuuuck no. That's just more work for no gain and an unhappy playerbase that's been splintered. Especially as they now have to code everything with the idea that it works with or without the expansion(s), multiplying their workload into several simultaneous builds to maintain during development and testing.
Well, the gain would be the revenue

Like, obviously it's better for players if they keep getting constant updates for a game they already own without paying

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ShadowHawk posted:

Like, obviously it's better for players if they keep getting constant updates for a game they already own without paying

You already have enough of a time getting people with the same game in vr together to play as is. Could you imagine 4 friends with piece meal dlc? Yeah oof.

(I realize h3 isn’t mp, just saying, could you imagine lol)

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

You already have enough of a time getting people with the same game in vr together to play as is. Could you imagine 4 friends with piece meal dlc? Yeah oof.

(I realize h3 isn’t mp, just saying, could you imagine lol)

That issue is easily fixable by only requiring the host (or any player) to own the DLC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ShadowHawk posted:

Not versus the effort required to manage multiple builds for a small team going forward. That gets larger with every expansion pack.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rectus posted:

That issue is easily fixable by only requiring the host (or any player) to own the DLC.

Yeah that is easy except in the history of all games on any system no one has done it yet.

Why buy the dlc if you only play multiplayer with friends and one of them owns it. It’s better (monetarily) to take the call of duty route and fragment your player base on DLC and make them pay to play. It’s lovely, absolutely, but also it forces players into DLC purchases

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah that is easy except in the history of all games on any system no one has done it yet.

Paradox games do it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why buy the dlc if you only play multiplayer with friends and one of them owns it. It’s better (monetarily) to take the call of duty route and fragment your player base on DLC and make them pay to play. It’s lovely, absolutely, but also it forces players into DLC purchases

There are a bunch of games that do that, not even just Paradox games. I think even Nintendo does that iirc? So it's not even a PC-specific thing to do that.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
It's a shame Anton hates Oculus because H3VR on a Quest port would be pretty awesome.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Player fragmentation within a single product only matters for multiplayer games. H3VR will never be multiplayer. I think the DLC model could work very well with H3 for monetization, though it's of course a bit tricky to apply this after the fact. As long as DLC only contained content (weapons) and maybe game modes it'd really be no different than now, where players just don't use the content/modes they're not interested in.

I'm also not really sure about "completing" H3 and starting new vs. continuing to build on it, though I'm leaning towards the latter. Starting a second game sure would do away with all the code base design mistakes, but would also actually lead to user base fragmentation in a tiny niche market, and now your small team suddenly has to deal with two problems, because H3 doesn't just magically go away. I think what would be more realistic is Anton and his team freezing feature development for half a year or so just to refactor the code base into something that is more maintainable/extensible. Maybe sprinkle in some tiny fixes or easy features to keep player engagement up, but just continuing to post devlogs with a little bit of detail what is being worked on would probably accomplish most of that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It's a shame Anton hates Oculus because H3VR on a Quest port would be pretty awesome.

Lol, that's not why it's not on Quest. H3VR takes the simulation part of it being a gun sim game seriously, and it's doing some heavy physics calculations to realistically model how all the firearms behave. Which the Quest just does not have the power to handle.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

OctaviusBeaver posted:

If I recall he mentioned in the subreddit he wasn't going to make a Quest port because the weaker hardware would require essentially a new game built from scratch with sacrifices to the physics and whatnot he didn't want to make, not because of any Oculus hate.

Like the game is a goofy detailed gun simulator that happens to have gameplay built on it. There's some things it's just not going to be, but to be honest I personally don't care since I've long since got my money's worth and continue to have fun with it

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Adding to the other examples, Payday 2 did this while still managing to sell absolute fucktons of DLC. And that game was even trivially hackable, a script to unlock all the DLC for the standard mod engine could fit in an original tweet.