Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

sorry, your character is lawful neutral at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

trucutru posted:

Is double lawful good++ an alignment?

Don't use floating point values for your alignment. That's just asking for trouble.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ikanreed posted:

As long as we're in the alignment 9 hells, here's my awful take.

Law-chaos is your default reaction to those more powerful than you

Good-evil is your reaction to those less powerful than you

i like this and will think on it more.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's weird to think of yourself as blackwater in a fantasy setting, since what's notable about blackwater isn't that they're an amoral band of people who kill for money and have a tendency to make whatever they're involved with worse. It's that they're all that in an era where that is no longer considered acceptable in the mainstream.

Specifically, if you go back just 400 years, not even all the way to the medieval period that most fantasy settings nestle in, Europe was crawling with mercenary groups making war for paychecks, and for whom it was standard practice to extort villages for loot just while passing by, to say nothing of what they did when actually on the offense. Armies in those days would have to forage for food wherever they went, which meant just as much stealing from locals as it did hunting or gathering. People didn't like it, but that was the deal with war, and modern concepts of peaceloving or pacifism did not hold much political sway over the romanticism of war and combat. That's how the classic RPG murderhobo party is plausible in the first place.

And speaking of the classical romanticism about war, a lot of that went into D&D, and without even getting into the particulars of how natives would've been depicted in media during Gygax's formative years, the base concept that there are people out there where the best solution is just to murder them dead without even building up a narrative around it is a fairly loaded concept. The concepts of "these are bad people so they must be killed by the heroes" and "these people were killed by the heroes, therefore they must have been bad" are closer than you'd think.

People hated mercenaries back then too. The word "mercenary" even means "amoral and self-interested" when used as an adjective.

Throughout history most cultures have treated mercenaries as no better than bandits, because that's what they were. You're right that "that's how it was" but that doesn't mean it was "acceptable." It was just another sucky thing that they had to deal with.

Blackwater's big innovation was simply to stop calling themselves "mercenaries."

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 5, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Clarste posted:

People hated mercenaries back then too. The word "mercenary" even means "amoral and self-interested" when used as an adjective.

Throughout history most cultures have treated mercenaries as no better than bandits, because that's what they were. You're right that "that's how it was" but that doesn't mean it was "acceptable." It was just another sucky thing that they had to deal with.

Blackwater's big innovation was simply to stop calling themselves "mercenaries."

This actually isn't historically accurate. Mercenaries played a very important role in Medieval Italian politics and weren't bandits.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Gee, I sure hope Rich is Lawful Good. :ohdear:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Gee, I sure hope Rich is Lawful Good. :ohdear:

Going byGygax, wouldn't that mean he's not okay?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AnoHito posted:

Going byGygax, wouldn't that mean he's not okay?

Going by Gygax apparently nobody is okay.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Raenir Salazar posted:

This actually isn't historically accurate. Mercenaries played a very important role in Medieval Italian politics and weren't bandits.

that was one segment of one period of one region, with histories written primarily by very specific classes of people

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

ikanreed posted:

As long as we're in the alignment 9 hells, here's my awful take.

Law-chaos is your default reaction to those more powerful than you

Good-evil is your reaction to those less powerful than you
Just wanted to say I really like this, it's very succinct and efficient.

e: though saying that, someone can be very structured and organised but not think a whole lot of their boss.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 5, 2019

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

In 5e law Vs. chaos is pretty much "laws help maintain the status quo" Vs "the status quo is unimportant"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Apparently Gygax thought that neutral good was a higher tier of good than lawful good.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apparently Gygax thought that neutral good was a higher tier of good than lawful good.

Yeah, that's how those forums posts seem to come across to me at least, especially with him clarifying that a Neutral/Chaotic Good character wouldn't go full Judge Dredd on anyone they think might be evil.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I generally go with lawful <--> collectivist and chaotic <--> individualist.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

I generally go with lawful <--> collectivist and chaotic <--> individualist.

What was Bakunin's alignment?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

trucutru posted:

Chaotic Good

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mister Olympus posted:

that was one segment of one period of one region, with histories written primarily by very specific classes of people

And the original post was being overly general to the point of inaccuracy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

trucutru posted:

I'd put Mikhail Bakunin's alignment, in a D&D world I DM, as Lawful.

Collectivist anarchism would be Lawful, while despotic autocracy would be chaotic.

Some quick an dirty links collectivism, individualism, I didn't actually read those specific articles further than the bullet point lists but they seem to illustrate the concept well enough.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd put Mikhail Bakunin's alignment, in a D&D world I DM, as Lawful.

Collectivist anarchism would be Lawful, while despotic autocracy would be chaotic.

Some quick an dirty links collectivism, individualism, I didn't actually read those specific articles further than the bullet point lists but they seem to illustrate the concept well enough.

If people who want to abolish all laws are "lawful" and people who put law and order above everything else are "chaotic," I don't think your system works very well...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AnoHito posted:

If people who want to abolish all laws are "lawful" and people who put law and order above everything else are "chaotic," I don't think your system works very well...

because I consider that treating metaphysical Law a being "follow laws, whatever they are" to be kinda stupid and needed something that made more sense as a a civilization-shaping dichotomy.

Having the side of Law be the one that emphasizes cooperation, cohabitation and harmony (the kind of things that laws are made to facilitate and organize), and the side of Chaos be the one that emphasizes freedom, individuality and independence, made sense to me. If that doesn't make sense to you, that's fine.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A despotic autocrat makes their own laws and usually breaks existing laws freely. Anarcho-collectivists do everything by a prolonged process of meetings and tenuous social agreements. Makes sense to me!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I find myself wondering what character is going to have great chemistry with grayview.

Probably Belkar, right?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

And the original post was being overly general to the point of inaccuracy.

Not really. Being an important part of politics and being scum that tends to steal from normal civilians aren't mutually exclusive. Especially if the way that you're an important part of politics is in killin' and stealin', or at least threatening to do so. That's what I was getting at with more contextually acceptable. People put up with mercenaries when they're a necessity despite being awful.

It's a lot like how the police serve a fairly important purpose in how the world works, so some people will make any excuse for their behavior and praise them to no end despite, you know, all the killing.

Or maybe more comparably, it's how gangs wind up being respected or even idolized by the communities they're part of despite their violence and extortion. They end up keeping the order.

In an ideal world you'd want to have things not falling into chaos without a bunch of violent jerks with no accountability to anyone, but we're pretty far from that right now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AnoHito posted:

Yeah, that's how those forums posts seem to come across to me at least, especially with him clarifying that a Neutral/Chaotic Good character wouldn't go full Judge Dredd on anyone they think might be evil.

Makes sense. Neutral Good considers Good more important than any other considerations. Neutral Good is All Good.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Cat Mattress posted:

Sounds like you're describing the good-evil axis, tbh. Individualism is selfishness; collectivism is altruism.

Which is why I've always advocated for one-axis alignment. Any serious attempted to make a sensible formulation of this nebulous, ill-conceived law-chaos idea ends up recapitulating the good-evil axis, one way or the other.

Do you have examples of characters/historical figures/archetypes that would be chaotic good and lawful evil?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
alignment discussions are awful but John Brown chaotic good seems pretty solid

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DontMockMySmock posted:

Sounds like you're describing the good-evil axis, tbh. Individualism is selfishness; collectivism is altruism.

Which is why I've always advocated for one-axis alignment. Any serious attempted to make a sensible formulation of this nebulous, ill-conceived law-chaos idea ends up recapitulating the good-evil axis, one way or the other.

Do you have examples of characters/historical figures/archetypes that would be chaotic good and lawful evil?

Gygax's original vision was also a single axis, actually, but it was Lawful-Neutral-Chaotic; from what I hear he didn't want the Good-Evil axis at all, and it was added in Basic despite alignment being there from the beginning (and then later removed before getting added again). Though, in the one-axis system Chaotic was pretty evil, to the point that the book outright said, "chaotic behavior is usually the same as behavior that could be called 'evil'", and was all about the individual over the group, seeing no value in honor or honesty, and so on, in addition to the usual lack of respect for authority and emphasis on freedom.

Meanwhile, Lawful seemed to be the closest equivalent to "good", buuut it was also the sort of Lawful described previously, which most people would also call evil. It still got the most positive presentation though, with self-interest being a major Neutral motivation while Lawful people were the ones who actually cared about the collective. The axis was basically Lawful "Good" - Neutral - Chaotic Evil, just without the explicit good and evil labels. (In the names; as above, the descriptions were more willing to make that judgment.)

From what I hear from others, supposedly Gygax personally wasn't entirely consistent on whether Lawful or Neutral was "best", but given how even here people have been trying to say that the stuff I linked earlier actually just means that Neutral Good is the most Good (ignoring that Gygax was still including genocide under any form of "Good") I have a feeling that people saying pretty much the same thing about the old one-axis system were doing so for similar reasons. All the old content I've read personally seems to favor Law pretty clearly.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 5, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The original Lawful-Neutral-Chaotic axis was supposed to be more of civilization-nature-raiders, like you see in, say, Warhammer and a lot of other older western fantasy. Law is pro-society, progress, and when possible, peace. Neutral is made up of isolationists or primitivists who reject civilization but aren't aggressive invaders. Chaos are raiders and destroyers who steal rather than produce.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

god drat you can't ignore mods? how else can I escape alignment chat?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You can ignore anyone if you do it the old-fashioned way!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tokenbrownguy posted:

you just hope, beyond hope, that Rich is okay :ohdear:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

tokenbrownguy posted:

You're just gonna mute the whole thread if you tried.

Your only choices are
A. Give in. Explain to us why neutral evil is meaningless under a Kantian worldview
B. Complain.
C. Goblins.
D. Raise literally any other subject you find interesting and be ignored.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ikanreed posted:

D. Raise literally any other subject you find interesting and be ignored.

Could a vorpal sword be so vorpal that it cuts itself in half

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Wolfsheim posted:

Could a vorpal sword be so vorpal that it cuts itself in half

Only if you're your own opponent.

The description of the sunder action mentions no other requirements to take the action(that aren't covered by the weapon being a sword)

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

ikanreed posted:

Only if you're your own opponent.

The description of the sunder action mentions no other requirements to take the action(that aren't covered by the weapon being a sword)

Listen, pal, nobody, but nobody, hates me as much as I do.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You just need to send "Is no surprise to me I am my own worst enemy"

Cause every now and then I break the living poo poo outta thee

You can forget about the magic sword you lent me drunk

I didn't mean to sunder that

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DontMockMySmock posted:

Not necessarily. Collectivist societies have their own problems, caused by the repression of individualism. Basic example: arranged marriages.

Roland Jones posted:

(ignoring that Gygax was still including genocide under any form of "Good")
It's important to remember that D&D grew out of tabletop wargames, so combat was always a central part of the game, and having conveniently "always evil" races of monsters to fight against is therefore practical to remove moral issues and motivate the players' characters.

You can make a dilemma out of baby orcs because we have progressively humanized the orcs (they started as inherently evil corrupted creatures, to the point that they had to be "reinvented" with a different name, e.g. the "darkspawn" from Dragon Age), but what about, say, baby face huggers? Would genociding all xenomorphs be acceptable for a Good character?

The way how the various monstrous races in D&D have been made less monstrous through the iterations of the games, ending with orcs and goblins (and kobolds and gnolls and so on) becoming acceptable choices for player characters or for NPCs in civilized areas (Eberron has goblins in all major cities, generally as an underclass but tolerated) reflects evolving sensibilities, and is kind of behind the arc for the goblins in OOTS: born as a cannon fodder race, but wanting to no longer be treated as such.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

ikanreed posted:

You're just gonna mute the whole thread if you tried.

:frog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cat Mattress posted:

Not necessarily. Collectivist societies have their own problems, caused by the repression of individualism. Basic example: arranged marriages.

Arranged marriages aren't limited to or a defining feature of collectivist societies, though? They were a thing all over history, particularly among nobility. That's a terrible example.

quote:

It's important to remember that D&D grew out of tabletop wargames, so combat was always a central part of the game, and having conveniently "always evil" races of monsters to fight against is therefore practical to remove moral issues and motivate the players' characters.

You can make a dilemma out of baby orcs because we have progressively humanized the orcs (they started as inherently evil corrupted creatures, to the point that they had to be "reinvented" with a different name, e.g. the "darkspawn" from Dragon Age), but what about, say, baby face huggers? Would genociding all xenomorphs be acceptable for a Good character?

The way how the various monstrous races in D&D have been made less monstrous through the iterations of the games, ending with orcs and goblins (and kobolds and gnolls and so on) becoming acceptable choices for player characters or for NPCs in civilized areas (Eberron has goblins in all major cities, generally as an underclass but tolerated) reflects evolving sensibilities, and is kind of behind the arc for the goblins in OOTS: born as a cannon fodder race, but wanting to no longer be treated as such.

Gygax quoted an actual genocidal person from history and referenced an actual genocide to support his point. He used real historical examples to justify the notion of killing children for their race being a Good, rational thing to do. "Nits make lice."

I don't think that fantasy RPGs require the PCs to be able to kill babies without feeling guilty for it to work, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't a feature of wargames either.