Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

Getting serious pre-election depression here. Can't bring myself to feel hope. Send help.

Get out there and knock on some doors. It helps, people are surprisingly nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

rees-mogg is dead catting again. that's basically what he's for

The point of throwing a dead cat on the table is to distract people from something your side has done. What was the scandal so big that he had to do this and it be less abhorrent than what he just said?

No, this is just Moggs being so insulated and ignorant about how much of a horrible oval office him and his circle are that he didn't see the toxicity of what he was saying and is so used to people not calling him on it that he's probably genuinely surprised at the pushback. This is a man who was photographed as a guest of honour for a group that demanded that non-whites be forcefully removed from the country and the press don't even bring it up.

In other news the Conservatives have spent £174 million on building 200,000 affordable homes and four years on have built exactly zero new affordable homes.

https://twitter.com/JohnHealey_MP/status/1191615742132785152

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 5, 2019

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1190661666029146112

I'm days behind on this thread but mathematical sans-serif bold j mathematical sans-serif bold c shouldn't be doing this ableist crap. At least make your god drat political outreach accessible.

https://twitter.com/kentcdodds/status/1083073242330361856

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vlex posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? I meant the speculation on Fry/Stewart/Bailey/Attenborough/whoever.

Expecting public figures to share your values coz they did a funny once is setting yourself up for disappointment IMO.
And expecting them not to go "well that rape's a bit overrated isn't it" on a public platform is hardly a high bar to clear.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

mrpwase posted:

I used to live near Stratford-upon-Avon, and Patrick Stewart was starring in a Shakespeare play at the RST. Driving to work one day, as I was pulling out of a junction in a small village, he came roaring past at 20+ over the limit in a Range Rover and almost sideswiped me. So I have a bit of an issue with his road safety record.

Interestingly not too long after David Tennant was starring in Hamlet at the RST, and almost did the same to me at a roundabout in Stratford. So now I live in fear of white male actors who are famous for sci-fi roles that also star in Shakespeare plays :ohdear:

Never encounter your heroes. In school we visited a film studio once. The class spotted reasonable famous actor from various child friendly comedy shows and we ran up to him to say hi. He sneered at us like loving Golum and shouted "gently caress off you little shits!"

I will never forget that.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Swindon is live on sky news and is being a right bastard

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Threep posted:

I'm days behind on this thread but mathematical sans-serif bold j mathematical sans-serif bold c shouldn't be doing this ableist crap. At least make your god drat political outreach accessible.

:confused:

I copy-pasted it into the assistive reader that we use to check content is accessible and it made perfect sense of it, are there a bunch of them that would parse it as "The Tories have announced they'll bold-t bold-e bold-m bold-p..."? That sounds like bad software if it can't parse bold type.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

rees-mogg is dead catting again. that's basically what he's for

The point of throwing a dead cat on the table is to distract people from something your side has done. What was the scandal so big that he had to do this and it be less abhorrent than what he just said?

No, this is just Moggs being so insulated and ignorant about how much of a horrible oval office him and his circle are that he didn't see the toxicity of what he was saying and is so used to people not calling him on it that he's probably genuinely surprised at the pushback. This is a man who was photographed as a guest of honour for a group that demanded that non-whites be forcefully removed from the country and the press don't even bring it up.

In other news the Conservatives have spent £172 million on building 200,000 affordable homes and four years on have built exactly zero new affordable homes.

https://twitter.com/JohnHealey_MP/status/1191615742132785152

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Threep posted:

Holy poo poo that's annoying, I had no idea about this. Thanks for cluing me in!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Calico Heart posted:

Getting serious pre-election depression here. Can't bring myself to feel hope. Send help.

We can win and there's a lot of us doing our best to make that happen!

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Rarity posted:

Oof, Keir handled that terribly. How hard is it to say "US regulations deem a maggot in your orange juice acceptable"?

And lol at the double poppy, for gently caress sake

Indeed. Let's have a go.

"Yes, you can find a maggot in your orange juice, and if you do, legally you can't complain about it unless you find at least 2. And who wants to be counting the maggots in their orange juice?"

I'm unemployed Keir you can give me money if you'd like

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jesus, how safe must Mogg's seat be for him to confidently come out with this poo poo pre-election?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Steve2911 posted:

Jesus, how safe must Mogg's seat be for him to confidently come out with this poo poo pre-election?

Even wearing red gets you strung up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Steve2911 posted:

Not as safe as you'd expect

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Guavanaut posted:

:confused:

I copy-pasted it into the assistive reader that we use to check content is accessible and it made perfect sense of it, are there a bunch of them that would parse it as "The Tories have announced they'll bold-t bold-e bold-m bold-p..."? That sounds like bad software if it can't parse bold type.
It's not bold type, neither Twitter nor unicode has a feature to let you write "bold type". It's mathematical symbols. Some screen readers no longer read them as mathematical symbols at all because of rampant misuse to look cool on social media, but the mess in the video is how a screen reader doing things by the book will treat them.

edit: Windows Narrator just skips the mathematical symbols entirely

Threep fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 5, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Steve2911 posted:

10k majority.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jesus loving Christ I'd forgotten about this.

The only hope I've got on this any more is that since every workplace makes their employees go through fire safety training videos on a yearly basis so even if you just barely pay attention to it you'll know that what White Nationalist Jacob Rees Moggs says is ether completely ignorant or aggressively cynical. Otherwise everyone with a modicum of power will be trying to sweep this story under the rug as fast as possible.

One place I worked, I was a fire marshall for the top 3 floors (approx 100 people at least) of the 15-storey building. The fire escape was complicated as it involved going down to a lower floor of the building occupied by a different organisation, through their floor then out onto the roof of an adjoining building. So every year, I would arrange 3 walk-throughs of the fire escape route (different days different times to accommodate those who had regular weekly fixed appointments). The first time I did it, we had got to the third (and last) arranged walk-throughs and a quantity of the senior directors/managers had not done it, not enough time, too busy. Anyway, the Chief Exec overheard me trying to get them to come out (with my cajoling noises of 'a fire isn't going to stop and ask you if you're too important or busy to be burned to death') and he put his coat on and went round to each and every refusenik, pointed at them within 2 inch of their noses and said 'Do you know how to get out of this building in the event of a fire? No. Get your coats on.' Seeing as he and I had 'bad vibes' I was surprised and grateful for his support!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

c0burn posted:

Her main thing seems to be trying to paint Johnson and Corbyn as the same which is... interesting.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Hey, if you guys are doing your election podcast, can you please mention the Momentum digital volunteers thing that I have inadvertently become the thread ambassador for? Here’s a radio-friendly URL for the sign-up form: https://tinyurl.com/momentumvol.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Miftan posted:

10k majority.

Doable. Hopefully local campaigners rub this in his face relentlessly. Utter scumbag.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Steve2911 posted:

:crossarms:

I think the smarter of the plebs will understand that it is to their benefit to support their betters. And by smarter plebs I mean in the sense that my border collie is smarter than my Ethiopian Flappenpoodle! :smug:

Braggart fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 5, 2019

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
the problem with Mogg's constituency is you've got the lib dems heavily focused on splitting the remain vote even though they only got 4k in 2017

quote:

North East Somerset
Majority 10235

Con 28992
Lab 18757
LD 4461
Green 1245
Other 588

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

c0burn posted:

quote:

Q: What is your message to leave voters? How would you bring the country together if a Lib Dem government revoked article 50?

Swinson says she understands the challenge this would be. As a Scot, she knows what it is like being in a divided country.

Many people have been unhappy with the way things have been going. A Lib Dem government would address those problems. That is how to bring the country together.

"What will you do about the people who aren't happy?"

*waves hand dismissively* "we'll solve that"

"Yes but how?"

*waves hand faster*

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Gonzo McFee posted:

have u visited the united kingdom in 2019??

the point of a dead cat is to rechannel public discourse. now everyone's talking about that silly old caricature jacob rees-mogg, honourable gentleman for the 19th century, gosh isn't he rude, should he be censured or does he have a right etc. etc. rather than, say, systemic conservative party failings that caused Grenfell or johnson's failure to brexit or farage's attack on the tory flank or everything else. just like that time he laid down in the house of commons and people starting talking about decorum

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

c0burn posted:

Now they have Jeremy, and he's making hers sound as energetic as a funeral wake.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Barry Foster posted:

It does seem to be memory holed that posh cunts coated the pov building in loving napalm because it looked nicer

gently caress l hate them. I hate them so much I can't sleep at night, just so I have more time in which to hate them. I hate them so much it gives me energy

this!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1191678374999146503?s=20

Jo Swinson just confirming what we all already knew, she's a Tory.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

Clarkson was best friends with David Cameron and was invited to Thatcher's funeral where he wept like an infected bellend. They're all tories.

Anyway, here's Jacob Rees Moggs giving out advice that would get even more people killed in a fire.

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1191651843484606464

The advice the fire department gives is the correct and best advice you can give when fire breaks out in any high rise building. If the building had been up to code then the fire would have ran into several fire doors which are thick enough and strong enough that it can take about 30 minutes to burn through. There's obviously the risk of the fire moving up through the ceiling through radiation but even that takes time and hopefully enough time for the fire department to get there in time. If people start trying to flee it means hundreds of people rushing around, trampling each other, opening fire doors, feeding oxygen to the flames and potentially accelerating the burning process and getting far more people killed.

Of course all of this goes out the window when your tory council puts extremely flammable cladding on the side of your building that allows the flames to cover the entire structure within minutes all for the sake of £5000 and the property values of a bunch of rich cunts who didn't even plan on living in the flats opposite. Can't really express how disgusted I am with all this. This is a complete whitewash to protect the tory party and that loving idiot councillor who's parents didn't drill enough holes in his head.

The standard that Grenfell was built to was that fire (and smoke) could not spread between flats for an hour, even every other flat in the building was on fire. LPS has its issues but the degree of compartmentalisation it offers is *amazing*.

The reason for remain-in-place as policy is because the designers knew that evacuation of a high-rise residential building - no matter how generous the size of escape routes, etc - is impossible because a) there's literally no way of telling how many people are in the building at any given moment and if they're all out, b) not everyone will be able to hear an evacuation alarm, c) of those that can not all are able to respond to it due to disability or even temporary injury, and d) of those that hear it and are able to respond, many are not willing to evacuate for all sorts of reasons.

People evacuating are also of course going to be in the way of rescuers trying to do their jobs - not just on the stairwells but milling around outside because where else are they going to go?

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Eschenique posted:

I did at a job at a rental complex once and they had this huge steel firedoor that couldn't be locked. It opened with hand cranked "bars" So the landlord installed a smaller metal/plexiglass door inside the frame with the steel door just permanently open ajar. And then put a lock on the smaller door.

I assume that permanently loving with the bigger door would have gotten him into trouble and that the smaller door was probably not very legal either. If someone bothered to enforce anything on landlords.

What the hell? Why would you even do this unless the intention is to create a deathtrap?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

have u visited the united kingdom in 2019??

the point of a dead cat is to rechannel public discourse. now everyone's talking about that silly old caricature jacob rees-mogg, honourable gentleman for the 19th century, gosh isn't he rude, should he be censured or does he have a right etc. etc. rather than, say, systemic conservative party failings that caused Grenfell or johnson's failure to brexit or farage's attack on the tory flank or everything else. just like that time he laid down in the house of commons and people starting talking about decorum

Nah, throwing a dead cat on the table will be when he parades his dumb kid in front of protesters to distract from the heinous poo poo he's said.

Anyway the BBC are already describing it as a gaff rather than him being candid about what he actually believes for once so it'll be memory holed soon.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I don't think it matters too much on whether this latest mogg turd is technically a dead cat or not when the entire mass media essentially serves as a 24/7 animatronic pet cemetery themed revue

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Comrade Fakename posted:

Hey, if you guys are doing your election podcast, can you please mention the Momentum digital volunteers thing that I have inadvertently become the thread ambassador for? Here’s a radio-friendly URL for the sign-up form: https://tinyurl.com/momentumvol.

that poo poo is perfect. like, I’m coming into this as a listener totally uninformed - presume you are spreading this to as wide an uninformed audience as possible

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
our union local had a vote on strike action but we didn’t hit the 50% turnout threshold

sad

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Purple Prince posted:

What the hell? Why would you even do this unless the intention is to create a deathtrap?

I assume because the bigger door (like 1,5 x 2 meter opening) Couldn't be locked in any way. And he probably got the smaller door on the cheap

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Rarity posted:

Oof, Keir handled that terribly. How hard is it to say "US regulations deem a maggot in your orange juice acceptable"?

And lol at the double poppy, for gently caress sake

I guess he just didn't know the US regulations (and maybe thought it was hyperbole)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Guardian liveblog headings writer getting opinionated

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Nah, throwing a dead cat on the table will be when he parades his dumb kid in front of protesters to distract from the heinous poo poo he's said.

Anyway the BBC are already describing it as a gaff rather than him being candid about what he actually believes for once so it'll be memory holed soon.
Latest gaff for Johnson as he slips up and screams White Power at a homeless African man for 10 consecutive minutes. What could this mean?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah... Not to be a debbie downer but you might want to check with the climate change thread for a perspective on if that's still in the cards. The tl;dr is that it really isn't.

Though I personally think air travel should be the last to go for a number of reasons, using it for vacation travel is an incredible waste at this point.

Oh don't worry. I live in deliberate ignorance of that, because I am already enough of an anxious mess!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah I tweeted to Sparrow about that lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Qwertycoatl posted:

Did Corbyn say that or is she pinocchioing again?
Just off to a medical appointment so can't check right now.