Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

corbynLiterallyNoPleasingYouPeople.jpg

e: dog tax (late spooky edition)

Luxury Tent Carpet fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Let's do it.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
STOP POLITICISING POLITICAL
ISSUES :byodood:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Only took a couple years to realise that you need to dumb it down to this level for the stupid loving clown public.

Buddy we still can't get them to figure out that bus was lying.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

They're like scientologists or some poo poo, totally brainwashed by premium grade meltery

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why won't jeremy corbyn push the big button on his desk labeled "stop brexit" please jeremy I know it's there why do you hate the eu jeremy just press the button

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

OwlFancier posted:

Why won't jeremy corbyn push the big button on his desk labeled "stop brexit" please jeremy I know it's there why do you hate the eu jeremy just press the button

Too busy pushing the other big red button labelled ‘IRA antisemitisms for white doctors’

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man having to be kinda polite on Twitter as you try and turn FPBE brain spiders to Labour is real painful sometimes

https://twitter.com/imauniqueuser/status/1191694525523210245?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BrexNo

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Raeg posted:

AREN'T YOU USING THE NHS FOR POLITICAL GAIN is the new hotness

Keep politics out of politics!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

a lovely king posted:

Is there any point to a Help To Buy ISA?

Keep in mind the bonus cash can't be used for the deposit or fees, its meant to go toward capital.

Or do what I did and have the system gently caress up in your favour: the ISA was in my name, the mortgage in mine and my wife's. Despite every single policy being through HSBC they couldnt resolve this and just paid us the cash :toot:

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

a lovely king posted:

My girlfriend's dad has been pressuring her into opening a Help-To-Buy ISA lately because they're shuttering them at the end of the month. Does anyone in here have experience with them and are they a good idea? I can't help but feel that there's a catch or something, what with it being a Tory scheme and involving housing. I've been looking online but all I can find is articles on money saving blogs and sites and I've got a lot of skepticism for them.

Is there any point to a Help To Buy ISA?

if you can afford a quid a month it's worth doing on the infinitesimal chance that you can get a 25% bonus on it for your first home

Doccykins posted:

Help to Buy ISA
Blurb:
Savers open an account with a lump sum of anything from £1 to £1,200 and then pay in up to £200 a month via direct debit. When the saver comes to purchase a first home the government will add on 25% of the value of the ISA. The benefit over the LISA is a H2B ISA functions as an instant-access savings account with no withdrawal penalty if you use the funds for anything other than a house deposit, and tends to have some of the most lucrative interest rates available for instantly accessible cash savings.

Catches:
  • The original Help to Buy ISA scheme closes to new applicants in November 2019
  • You must not have ever been the owner of a property via purchase or inheritance previously
  • You can only put in up to £200 a month via a direct debit, making the annual contribution limit £2,400.
  • Interest is paid on an annual basis on your account anniversary date
  • You must have at least £1,600 in the ISA for the minimum bonus of £400 at the time of purchase
  • The maximum bonus is £3,000, paid on an account value of £12,000 or above
  • You must purchase a property for a sale price of below £250,000, or £450,000 if the property is located in a Borough of London
  • The ISA must be closed by your solicitor at completion.This means you can't use the ISA funds or bonus as part of your exchange deposit

For both Help to Buy and Lifetime ISAs if you are buying a house with a partner, both of you can contribute your ISA savings towards the property and get government bonuses on both accounts, but the property price can still not exceed £250,000 in the case of a Help to Buy ISA or £450,000 for a Lifetime ISA or London purchase.

Note if you do utilise both the H2B and Lifetime ISAs you can only use one of the bonuses each when buying your first home

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Man having to be kinda polite on Twitter as you try and turn FPBE brain spiders to Labour is real painful sometimes

Jeremy why won't you use the crystal ball next to the stop brexit button to pull your deal out of the future so we can read it jeremy WHY WON'T YOU SHATTER THE LAWS OF CASUALITY FOR ME JEREMY

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1191696425463230464

BBC to Tory party revolving door keeps spinning.

Recognise the name?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/nov/19/bbc-knickers-on-nick-conrad-rapist-ched-evans

quote:

The BBC has apologised after a radio presenter said women should “keep their knickers on” during a discussion on convicted rapist Ched Evans.

Nick Conrad, a talk show host on BBC Radio Norfolk, made the comments in a live debate about the former Sheffield United striker, who has provoked an outcry after returning to train with the club.

Conrad said: “I think women need to be more aware of a man’s sexual desire; that when you’re in that position that you are about to engage in sexual activity there’s a huge amount of energy in the male body, there’s a huge amount of will and intent, and it’s very difficult for many men to say no when they are whipped up into a bit of a storm.

“And it’s the old adage about if you yank a dog’s tale then don’t be surprised when it bites you.

“Or you can’t keep snakes in the garden and think they’ll only bite your neighbours.”

He went on to suggest feminists had “hijacked” or “jumped on” the debate and appear to be “anti-men”.

That's where you know him from.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Why did I worry that my Internet posting would preclude me from being elected when dude who went on the radio to blame rape victims clearly doesn't think that'll be a problem

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

Why did I worry that my Internet posting would preclude me from being elected when dude who went on the radio to blame rape victims clearly doesn't think that'll be a problem

are you outing yourself as a tory?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
"Quick we need something! Anything! Raid through Theresa's bin- ah this'll do!"

Government pushes ahead with plans for 'festival of Brexit' posted:

Boris Johnson’s government is pressing ahead with a controversial post-Brexit festival of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, inherited from Theresa May, but which the new prime minister had been urged to shelve.

Dean Creamer, a delivery director for the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, has been put in charge of planning for the £120m project – dubbed the “festival of Brexit” by critics – which is due to take place in 2022, the Guardian has learned.

However, figures from arts institutions have privately expressed concern about the project, which some say is likely to alienate remain-supporting visitors at museums and galleries that are expected to take part.

There had been previous warnings that the idea – announced by May in 2018 as an initiative that would “strengthen our precious union” – could inflame tensions in Northern Ireland, coming a year after the centenary of Irish partition and on the 100th anniversary of the start of the Irish civil war.

The festival was billed as a showcase for “the UK’s unique strengths in creativity and innovation” with echoes of the 1851 Great Exhibition and the 1951 festival of Britain.

A pledge was made to deliver “an exciting programme” of events on arts, culture, design and technology in the same year as the Queen’s platinum jubilee and to “amplify” key anniversary celebrations including the BBC’s 100th birthday and the 75th anniversary of the Edinburgh international and fringe festivals.

But one person in the museum sector – one of the stakeholders identified by government planners – said: “A lot of museums are quite wary of the whole thing. There’s also a sense that if it is a festival of Brexit then it turns into an ethical issue. Half of the audiences would be completely hostile to Brexit.”

In response to a freedom of information request by the Guardian, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) said it had established a festival of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 2022 programme board, which met regularly. Members included representatives from the Treasury and Cabinet Office. A delivery body with a budget of £120m is being appointed.

Another senior figure in the culture sector said there had been talks with officials at the DCMS, but added: “Nothing has really flowed to the institutions who might be interested in it. There is infrastructure in place but everyone is waiting until the general election to see what happens next.”

They added that the person in charge of planning was Creamer, who has a track record of infrastructure projects.

The same source predicted: “The real challenge will be to get an artistic director. It really depends on how they seek to brand it. We expect that there would be a major effort to make it a consciously national and non-metropolitan endeavour.”

It is thought the idea of the festival will appeal to Johnson’s love of set-piece events such as the Olympic Games, which he was able to capitalise on during his time as mayor of London.

But the Lib Dem MP Layla Moran, the party’s spokesperson on DCMS matters, said: “I’m astounded that the government is going ahead with what is basically a Brexit festival despite everything that is going on. It is a complete waste of money at a time when funding cuts to our schools, hospitals and local services continue despite government announcements to the contrary.

“The Conservatives are trying to distract us with bread and circuses, but it won’t work.”

Lord Ashton of Hyde, who at the time was parliamentary under-secretary of state at the DCMS, told the House of Lords in March that the festival was an exciting opportunity to celebrate creativity and innovation across the UK, and the museum sector was expected to play an important role.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aberdeen South has a vacancy for a candidate.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

are you outing yourself as a tory?

MODS THIS IS ABUSE

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

MODS THIS IS ABUSE

yes its abuse from a mod

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

You know exactly why. And he's already being torn to shreds so there's every chance he'll not get the chance.

The former Chairman of Northern Rock speaks

https://twitter.com/mattwridley/status/1191450530670923781

Like having the guy who brought you plague blankets tell you off for poor hygiene.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Jared O'Mara II here we come!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesmerga posted:

STOP POLITICISING POLITICAL
ISSUES :byodood:
Unacceptable issues to politicize:
  • The NHS
  • Education
  • Benefits
  • Food bank use
  • Brexit
  • The Environment
  • Politics

Acceptable issues to politicize:
  • Jeremy Corbyn's antisemitism
  • Diane Abbott's innumeracy
  • That time Kier Starmer kicked a rabbit
  • Labour doing something I also did but it's bad this time
  • Foreigns what want to move here while being foreign
  • Bum top tank boys
  • Paper flowers

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Maybe it's just my goonish face-blindness but you can't tell me that isn't Theresa May.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Unacceptable issues to politicize:
  • The NHS
  • Education
  • Benefits
  • Food bank use
  • Brexit
  • The Environment
  • Politics

Acceptable issues to politicize:
  • Jeremy Corbyn's antisemitism
  • Diane Abbott's innumeracy
  • That time Kier Starmer kicked a rabbit
  • Labour doing something I also did but it's bad this time
  • Foreigns what want to move here while being foreign
  • Bum top tank boys
  • Paper flowers

*in waffen-ss uniform* oh suuuuure everything's political now

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Unkempt posted:

Maybe it's just my goonish face-blindness but you can't tell me that isn't Theresa May.

Honestly :rolleyes:
Remove the "Straight Acting" line, and it's clearly just Andrea Leadsom.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

disappointing ratio on that tweet

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bum top tank boys sounds like a polygon youtube series.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Why won't Jeremy make his Brexit policy clear.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Hang on a minute he's a No Deal Brexiteer lmao, so his 'known' is cliff edge.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

LMBO

None of pledged starter homes built, says watchdog:

BBC posted:

A government plan to create 200,000 new homes in England for first-time buyers has resulted in no homes being built, the National Audit Office has found.

Announced in 2014, "starter homes" were meant to be aimed at those under the age of 40 and sold at a 20% discount.

But legislation to take the project forward was never passed.

Labour called the policy a total failure, but the government said it had a "great track record" for house building.

Former prime minister David Cameron committed to the scheme in the 2015 Conservative Party manifesto as a way of tackling the affordable housing crisis.

The project was also supposed to support the wider growth and regeneration of local areas, and some town centres.

The homes were meant to be built across the country by the end of the decade and more than £2bn was set aside for the first tranche of 60,000 dwellings.

According to the National Audit Office (NAO), between 2015-16 and 2017-18, the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) spent almost £174m on acquiring and preparing sites originally intended for building starter homes.

These were in places such as Plymouth, Bury, Basildon, Stockport, Bridgwater, Cinderford and Bristol.

But the spending watchdog said the sites were all now being used for housing more generally, only some of which was affordable.

'Dashed expectations'

It said the scheme had faltered because the necessary legislation and planning guidance had never been put through Parliament, despite expectations it would happen in 2019.

As a result, even new homes conforming to the intended specifications cannot be marketed as starter homes, which has made getting developers on board challenging.

The NAO said the government also no longer had a budget dedicated to the starter homes project.

These days it feels like the government will lie just about anything just to get some positive press. This might have been started by Big Dave but I don't imagine for a second that any of the promised newly-introduced legislation that the Tories are churning out right now will fare any better. Shame that the media will unquestioning parrot whatever bullshit they come out with.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I hope this takes off as a trend. Might write up my austerity misery story and put a copy up.

https://twitter.com/Prolapsarian/status/1191468873935024128?s=20

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I don’t know what a bun top tank boy is, but my curiosity is piqued.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

I hope this takes off as a trend. Might write up my austerity misery story and put a copy up.

https://twitter.com/Prolapsarian/status/1191468873935024128?s=20

Just gonna leave to a bunch of tories going around permanently hard while reading the misery.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesmerga posted:

I don’t know what a bun top tank boy is, but my curiosity is piqued.
Hipsters that join the Stalin Society.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Also did anyone catch the first reason Jo Swinson can’t support corbyn? Because he won’t nuke anyone. Swinson confirmed to be red-faced balding gammon man in disguise.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Purple Prince posted:

That's the point of a fire door! Putting any kind of lock on it immediately makes it into a deathtrap.

Fire doors can be lockable. If you live in a block of flats your front door (and bathroom door) are fire doors which are lockable. If you work in a half-way modern building you almost certainly pass through several locked fire doors on your way to the bog.

The point is whether or not they can be unlocked in a hurry, in the dark, by someone who doesn't know before they get there how to open them, without keys or any other kind of tools. That's why all of those examples either have a turnwheel or similar device to unlock them, or for electronic doors a clearly-marked emergency open button or lever (and they must fail unlocked). The speed with which they can be opened depends on the amount of people the building is designed to have behind one of those doors, which is why you start to see panic bars and similar devices on large buildings.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mrenda posted:

Keep politics out of politics!

How did you manage to get your hands on the Lib Dem manifesto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao