Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My grandparents bought my Florida Pre-Pay 4 year state education for $3500 in 1988. Tuition is loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Beach Bum posted:

My grandparents bought my Florida Pre-Pay 4 year state education for $3500 in 1988. Tuition is loving insane.

You had better be calling them every weekend, good lord.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

therobit posted:

My guess would be that if it was from years back and they still won't let him finish school it's probably a violent sex offence.

I mean, doctors used to use anaesthesitised women for gynaecology training without their knowledge or consent in the not very distant past. They've kinda got rid of that though, and would hopefully be extra sensitive about weeding out potential sex offenders now.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Someone else has leveraged their way up on Robinhood from $4,000 up to ~$1,200,000, and there don't seem to be any sanity checks at all: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/drqaro/robinhood_free_money_cheat_works_pretty_well_1/

:thunk:

The last time something like this happened it got fixed a lot faster, and that was only for $60,000 or so, so I imagine somebody is panicking to get things fixed before opening bell. (Unless I'm misunderstanding because I never got into options trading and this is all just theoretical money or something like that.)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

I always expect the X axis of those tuition charts to go back to like the 60s or 70s, but nope, 2005.

Is there any point to saving for college for kids anymore? Seems like you might as well be pouring water into the ocean.

Some states let you lock in today's tuition for public schools if you give them the money now. Might be the best return on investment available if trends hold up.

https://www.virginia529.com/new-savers/prepaid/

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lets sell the collateral the bank has on this 100,000+ Loan, take the money and pay the bank back monthly. What could go wrong for the bank.

some redditor posted:

I cant seem to find an answer on this anywhere by googling. When you sell your home are you forced to take the entirety of the sale and put it into your mortgage? Am I able to instead keep paying my monthly payments after making the sale? I understand there would be fees and such, but would I be able to keep ht majority of the sale in my possession instead of putting it into the mortgage?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The Robinhood Margin Glitch but with your house

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
i too wish to pay a monthly mortgage for property which I no longer own, have any financial interest in, or receive any benefit from. This seems like a flawless plan where nothing can go wrong!

Surely the sick gainzzz from the bitcoin investment I plan on diverting this cash to will far surpass the "interest" rate that the bank made up with their fiat currency and printed money and something something ron paul

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Lets sell the collateral the bank has on this 100,000+ Loan, take the money and pay the bank back monthly. What could go wrong for the bank.
Sooo... this is fraud, right? I don't have a mortgage yet but I feel like you're under contractual obligation to keep the security in your possession.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
What's a lien, you say?

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
You literally cannot sell your house without paying off your mortgage. The title company will stop it because the buyers won't have clear title since your bank's Deed of Trust will still be in place. To say nothing of your escrow company. If he wasn't an idiot he'd just get a HELOC or cash out refinance.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Uh, so if you have RobinHood it seems like you should probably pull your money out if they're letting people run up a million+ on margin with no real way of recouping those costs.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

This is sad, really. I hope in my lifetime we can see tuition become much more affordable. I'm happy with my decision to take on community college and a cheap online school, but holy hell to get out of school with even $50k of debt seems ridiculous.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

i too wish to pay a monthly mortgage for property which I no longer own, have any financial interest in, or receive any benefit from. This seems like a flawless plan where nothing can go wrong!

If the bank is willing to extend that credit unsecured, there may be circumstances where this makes sense. It would imply a bunch of other assets or income and this dude is almost certainly not in that situation, but it's not automatically ridiculous.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If the bank is willing to extend that credit unsecured, there may be circumstances where this makes sense. It would imply a bunch of other assets or income and this dude is almost certainly not in that situation, but it's not automatically ridiculous.

Sorry, but it is. He's asking about keeping the MORTGAGE LOAN to do this. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of the loan product. He's not talking about selling one house that's part of a portfolio loan, he's not talking about getting a different loan. This is an idea that he got while taking a poo poo and then vomited it onto reddit.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

but it's not automatically ridiculous.

For probably over 95% of the US population, it's immediately and unabashedly ridiculous. No bank is going to extend a $100k unsecured line of credit to anyone at remotely the same interest rate/term as a mortgage, and the vast majority of people aren't remotely qualified for that big of an unsecured loan to begin with.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Dik Hz posted:

You can post in the newbie thread if you're not familiar around here. You can post here in the BWM thread and people will be happy to eviscerate you. You can also post in any of the megathreads if your issues touch on them. Or you can post your own thread and either get excellent advice or become the new superstar of this forum.

Went ahead and posted in the General Discussion thread. Please be gentle.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

uvar posted:

Someone else has leveraged their way up on Robinhood from $4,000 up to ~$1,200,000, and there don't seem to be any sanity checks at all: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/drqaro/robinhood_free_money_cheat_works_pretty_well_1/

:thunk:

Absolutely epic. 300x leverage. What could possibly go wrong?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SpartanIvy posted:

I always expect the X axis of those tuition charts to go back to like the 60s or 70s, but nope, 2005.

Is there any point to saving for college for kids anymore? Seems like you might as well be pouring water into the ocean.

Psh like anyone can save money for college funds, it all goes to those kids' medical insurance now

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, doctors used to use anaesthesitised women for gynaecology training without their knowledge or consent in the not very distant past. They've kinda got rid of that though, and would hopefully be extra sensitive about weeding out potential sex offenders now.

Why use the past tense?

https://www.elle.com/life-love/a28125604/nonconsensual-pelvic-exams-teaching-hospitals/

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Got about a third through that before I rage quit. "But it's the best way we have to practice!"

HOW ABOUT ASKING PEOPLE BEFORE YOU PUT THINGS IN THEM

And this is coming from someone who is always fine to let a student practice, even on IV sticks.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009

BonerGhost posted:

HOW ABOUT ASKING PEOPLE BEFORE YOU PUT THINGS IN THEM

No one tells patients anything about what happens under anesthesia because it's a ton of stuff even for any one surgery, and no one goes into that much detail for how surgeries work.

"And are you okay if this med student takes this metal hook and pulls your heart to the side while the surgeon operates on your esophagus?"

"And are you okay if we run through the length of your bowel with our fingers looking for other tumors?"

"And are you okay if this anesthesiologist puts their hand inside your mouth and temporarily dislocates your jaw to place a breathing tube in?"

"And are you okay if the first assist inserts the stapler in your rectum for the bowel anastamosis?"

"And are you okay if the medical student puts a rod in your vaginal to manipulate your uterus during surgery so we can see what we're doing?"

Like, you can make the claim that we should ask people specifically about putting things in their vagina but asking surgeons to get specific consent for putting anything at all into a person (and these are all real and incredibly invasive things!) is like... I dunno, you can maybe see why that might be difficult?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Blink twice if no.

OK, sounds like we agree

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Can you understand how someone with a vagina may not like the idea of another person they've never met putting their fingers into their vagina, even if it's for a medical purpose, if they have a choice beforehand? Especially if they're someone for whom strangers hands in their vagina is a very, very scary proposition? We're not talking about heart surgery here.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Oh my, what a bad post

Amara
Jun 4, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Can you understand how someone with a vagina may not like the idea of another person they've never met putting their fingers into their vagina, even if it's for a medical purpose, if they have a choice beforehand? Especially if they're someone for whom strangers hands in their vagina is a very, very scary proposition? We're not talking about heart surgery here.

Of course!

I'm actually a vagina haver myself. I'm not saying the current behavior with vagina exams is right.

I'm specially objecting to the idea that consent should be a blanket easy concept, which is what I quoted. Consent is actually a difficult moral question in a lot of medicine. Be outraged at the vagina exams sure but don't blanket apply that to the rest of surgical consent.

"Just consent every time you stick something in someone else!"

For example, it's rare but not super rare that an abdominal or uterus surgery might injure the ureters. The surgeon thinks at the end of the surgery "gosh there's like a 1% chance I injured these things, but if I did that's really bad. I could stick a metal rod up the patient's urethra to check, but I haven't consented them for that..."

This is not an emergency. We can wake the patient up. Give them a day to recover from anesthesia. Ask them about putting a camera up their urethra. Subject them to anesthesia again if they consent. Or we can just do it now because it's the best idea medically.

All I'm saying is it's not as easy as "JUST ASK PEOPLE BEFORE YOU PUT THINGS IN THEM".

Amara fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 5, 2019

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Amara posted:

All I'm saying is it's not as easy as "JUST ASK PEOPLE BEFORE YOU PUT THINGS IN THEM".

no this is the internet; everything is black and white

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Amara posted:

No one tells patients anything about what happens under anesthesia because it's a ton of stuff even for any one surgery, and no one goes into that much detail for how surgeries work.

"And are you okay if this med student takes this metal hook and pulls your heart to the side while the surgeon operates on your esophagus?"

"And are you okay if we run through the length of your bowel with our fingers looking for other tumors?"

"And are you okay if this anesthesiologist puts their hand inside your mouth and temporarily dislocates your jaw to place a breathing tube in?"

"And are you okay if the first assist inserts the stapler in your rectum for the bowel anastamosis?"

"And are you okay if the medical student puts a rod in your vaginal to manipulate your uterus during surgery so we can see what we're doing?"

Like, you can make the claim that we should ask people specifically about putting things in their vagina but asking surgeons to get specific consent for putting anything at all into a person (and these are all real and incredibly invasive things!) is like... I dunno, you can maybe see why that might be difficult?

Did you read the linked article? These examinations offer no personal benefit and are performed solely for teaching purposes, not because a bunch of residents are already all up in your vag looking for and/or removing poo poo. Yes they should absolutely get consent, or better yet, use a conscious volunteer.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Did you read the linked article? These examinations offer no personal benefit and are performed solely for teaching purposes, not because a bunch of residents are already all up in your vag looking for and/or removing poo poo. Yes they should absolutely get consent, or better yet, use a conscious volunteer.

Look, I'm not on board with the vagina exams under anesthesia without consent.

I'm just annoyed at the "all consent is simple" concept. Maybe I misinterpreted the post.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Turn left thread nooooooo

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/drytjr/my_car_got_towed_but_i_dont_want_it_back/

My car got towed, but I don't want it back. posted:

Just like the title says. It got towed cause the registration was super expired. I've been trying to figure out a way to get rid of it for ages and my complex finally towed it. I have some stuff still in there, but I'm willing to cut my losses on that. Are there any legal ramifications to me just leaving it? Also, I live in Texas if that makes a difference.

Edit: I also just realized it's not street legal. Will they even let me take it with the expired registration?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sirotan posted:

Consents in academic medical centers usually (definitely in mine) include a clause about trainees/students being involved in care and procedures. A pelvic exam may be a part of that.

I just want my BWM content. :(

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

E: ^^^ I get all my care at a teaching hospital and I've always been asked for consent for student involvement. Couldn't tell you from memory what the forms say.

Amara posted:

Of course!

I'm actually a vagina haver myself. I'm not saying the current behavior with vagina exams is right.

I'm specially objecting to the idea that consent should be a blanket easy concept, which is what I quoted. Consent is actually a difficult moral question in a lot of medicine. Be outraged at the vagina exams sure but don't blanket apply that to the rest of surgical consent.

"Just consent every time you stick something in someone else!"

For example, it's rare but not infrequent that an abdominal or uterus surgery might injure the ureters. The surgeon thinks at the end of the surgery "gosh there's like a 1% chance I injured these things, but if I did that's really bad. I could stick a metal rod up the patient's urethra to check, but I haven't consented them for that..."

This is not an emergency. We can wake the patient up. Give them a day to recover from anesthesia. Ask them about putting a camera up their urethra. Subject them to anesthesia again if they consent. Or we can just do it now because it's the best idea medically.

No, actually, it is that easy. If you think that getting meaningful consent for a procedure cannot be achieved without asking permission for every instrument or technique used, you need to go back and take whatever medical ethics class you failed the first time. I have had several major surgeries and procedures, and in each case my doc gave me a rundown of what it entailed, complications that could arise while I was under, and got permission from me to both perform the procedure and enact other measures if necessary. What's really going to blow your mind is that any surgeon with a couple brain cells to rub together can anticipate possible and likely outcomes (such as cytoscopy following anything near the bladder) and get consent for those necessary procedures too! In fact, that's exactly what happened when I had a hysterectomy: my doc got permission for the manual pelvic, the hysterectomy, and cytoscopy afterward.

If you want to have students performing procedures and exams for practice, you have to ask the people whose bodies they're using. The article correctly points out that students are not practitioners so they aren't even legally covered by procedure consent forms that state "other practitioners". If you use your brain for 30 seconds you'd also realize that a student getting their practice in serves the patient no benefit and is thus not part of the procedure. If any of my several doctors can ask me if it's ok to have a student in the room when we're all fully clothed, these surgeons can drat sure get consent from patients to use their bodies as practice dummies.

Consent is a tricky issue and one that is usually not approached in a meaningful way, but there is nothing tricky about this practice. This is an extension of the way medical pros often don't respect bodily autonomy, specifically that of women and minorites.

E2: and the BWM is all of you, the taxpayers, who've paid for me to get rid of organs, get cameras shoved up my butt, and get corpse pieces grafted to my body. Thanks guys

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 5, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
You see Amara it’s simple?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

double post

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Is there a medical ethics thread instead of a bad with money thread?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I DO NOT CONSENT TO THIS DERAIL

THAT'S MY PURSE I DON'T KNOW YOU

SA-Anon
Sep 15, 2019
**Edit**
I posted in the wrong drat thread.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Oh no, paperwork to sign at the hospital giving consent to additional things being put inside you? That’s the least simple thing a hospital could ever have to do, it’s an impossible ask.

I’m bad with money. I bought a house with 10% down and a chunk of that is from a 401k loan.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

but it's not automatically ridiculous.

It is for the several reasons that he and apparently you don't get that have been brought up in this thread. To be loving explicit:

- They encumber the deed to the property to secure the loan so you cannot transfer it without removing that encumbrance. By paying off the loving loan.
- The loan is offered using the purchased property as collateral. Once sold the debtor can no longer have it seized as collateral. Ever notice how the terms of unsecured loans and mortgages are different in both amounts offered and interest rates?
- Interest rate arbitrage is almost always a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Speaking of terrible ideas, it looks like Robinhood still hasn't fixed their infinite leverage bug.

"After realizing I only had a few thousand dollars to gamble, I decided why not try this new "glitch". After seeing people on the almighty wallstreetbets, wager a timid 50k or so on average with this new feature available, I thought it was only a clear choice to raise the average for the good of all. That's how I found myself long over $1.7M in AMD shares and selling around $1.6M worth of calls. I was leveraged over 500x which now makes a great argument against my Forex trading friends and the weak margin they offer there."