Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ManBoyChef posted:

They really don't care about reality. How do you debate people that fundamentally disagree about what reality is? It just seems like we are talking past each other and there is no way to convince these folks that they may be wrong and to follow the evidence. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I'd like to be able to talk to my family about politics at some point but its so frustrating when we can't agree on what is real.

They're cultists. There's no reasoning with cultists.

(edit) tax from 1960:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Boomers are the weird one because they're they're the only one that has a concrete event that marks the start of the generation and everyone else has been arbitrarily kludged into vague 20 year periods around them, occasionally based around important events but always after the fact.

The Silent Generation were children during the depression, they take salt and ketchup packets home from McDonalds.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
excellent, champing at the bit to go to war in mexico, a great idea

they're really accelerating all their horrific republican bullshit these last couple weeks.

edit: hamsterpile tax

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 5, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shbobdb posted:

Chinese zodiac man. You get an animal and an element based on what year you were born. You can go a lot deeper if you want to, it's astrology so there is a lot of stuff. If we're going to deep dive into where "Gen X" ends and "Millennial" begins with a "Xennial" bridge why not just use astrology? It all has the same accuracy. Possibly more! I laughed when I saw that fire dogs need to be careful not to over eat junk food.

Have to post now because this is one of the rare opportunities where I can point out that the stars spoken and I am a golden metal cock.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lol if trump manages to imperialistically destroy the cartels and accidentally do a service to everyone

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Lol if trump manages to imperialistically destroy the cartels and accidentally do a service to everyone

I’d be less surprised if he invites them to the White House and things end with him complementing how good they are at business, hoping to make great deals with them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

bobjr posted:

I’d be less surprised if he invites them to the White House and things end with him complementing how good they are at business, hoping to make great deals with them.

just as likely tbh

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I have been staring at this tweet and if :ironicat: was a tweet, this would be it

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveHiltonx/status/1191714569804226563

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

ManBoyChef posted:

They really don't care about reality. How do you debate people that fundamentally disagree about what reality is? It just seems like we are talking past each other and there is no way to convince these folks that they may be wrong and to follow the evidence. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I'd like to be able to talk to my family about politics at some point but its so frustrating when we can't agree on what is real.

In my own uniformed opinion this kind of display is an older, more group-focused form of politics. Like the conflicts between catholics and protestants from the 16th century onwards, where the arguments over man's relationship to god where mostly a shorthand for ethnic and cultural conflicts. The notion that politics is predominantly a rational discussion between different interests over how to organize society based on a common understanding of material reality is something we've taken for granted in modern times, to the extent that it's ever existed. In inter-group conflicts (ethnic, tribal, cultural whatever) facts and material reality are less important than demonstrating group solidarity and identification.

TLDR: these people are flaunting Trump's lie that the call transcripts exonerates him because the truth isn't the point, their goal is to signal to everyone that they're on team white supremacy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Boomers are dotarded

https://twitter.com/CalebHowe/status/1191555242653048833?s=20

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

WoodrowSkillson posted:

As long as people want drugs for whatever reason, and those drugs are illegal and their supply commands an insane price and markup, there will be cartels. Hth.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I wonder how many congress people are solidly gen X at this point.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I took a look through podcasts on Patreon and my grift game clearly needs work:

Also tax

pacerhimself fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 5, 2019

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

I wonder how the family and friends of those people who were killed in that shootout feel about these tweets.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

His speeches have grown by leaps and bounds this fall. He’s fun to knock for. And he’s way more fun when he’s got a room of electricians to tell his injury story.

GOP has sent a gazillion mailers on him in response to his self-oppo-dump on Twitter, and they may fire up their base. Combined with a lack of VA Dem support, he’s possibly the most vulnerable guy on the slate today. The question becomes whether or not he’s shifted the paradigm entirely, doing it his way. I hope he has.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

ManBoyChef posted:

Approximately one-third of the population of the United States has been psychologically conditioned into becoming cultists- and while Trump is riding that tiger for the time being, after he falls there will be someone else. (So long as there are cultists, they will find a cult leader to support.)

I don't know what can be done about such a gigantic portion of our population existing as cultists. In order to deprogram from cultism requires extensive work on the part of the person as well as extensive social support from the community- we would need Star Trek levels of full luxury gay space communism to deprogram that many people at once.

We need strong leadership putting forth a coherent vision of a better future (that these individuals can latch onto) so that they have a reason/motivation to begin the long process of deprogramming themselves. Hope is the ultimate antidote to Narrativism- we need leftist leadership preaching a coherent vision of the future that inspires hope.

Naturally there's going to be a bunch of posts after this wherein certain posters try and assure themselves that this is a generational problem that will go away if they just ignore it long enough; IE it's only the Boomers that are the problem and once they die the problem will solve itself. This is absolute nonsense- it's just another way for centrists to shove their head in the sand and ignore a real problem.

Zoomers are being mass indoctrinated into the cultist mindset through exposure to social media, because social media algorithms have figured out that Narrativists obsessively engage with/consume media. The social media algorithms are intentionally spreading the cultist mindset because it drives engagement metrics , and if you think what Facebook is doing to your Gramgrams is bad you should really take a look at what YouTube is doing to 12 year olds. The majority of Zoomers who are becoming cultists are not of a form that is politically aligned yet, it's mostly squabbling over the media spaces that are important to them (e.g. their is an entire Narrativist subculture based around policing relationships in fan fiction on Instagram), but it's only a matter of time until they adopt a politicized form.

This problem ( a huge portion of our population has become cultists via media exposure) may very well be the problem that future Generations remember this period of history for.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 5, 2019

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

pacerhimself posted:

Also tax

All that money and they’re using the RHPS typeface.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
E: hot patootie, crappy server made my post do a bit of a time warp.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

pacerhimself posted:

Also tax

TrueAnon is a pretty amusing podcast about Epstein co-hosted by Brace Belden AKA PissPigGranddad. It's probably the opposite of what you're inferring

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

pacerhimself posted:

Also tax

Blindboy boatclub is great and deserves everything he gets.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The La Baron compound sounds not very good.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1191720680015970304

quote:

And 30% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents say they’d like to see the party nominate someone else as its 2020 presidential candidate

lol jesus

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

The Silent Generation were children during the depression, they take salt and ketchup packets home from McDonalds.

My great-aunt was loaded but was a newlywed during the Great Depression. She washed and reused tin foil and ziploc bags.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

Approximately one-third of the population of the United States has been psychologically conditioned into becoming cultists- and while Trump is riding that tiger for the time being, after he falls there will be someone else. (So long as there are cultists, they will find a cult leader to support.)

I don't know what can be done about such a gigantic portion of our population existing as cultists. In order to deprogram from cultism requires extensive work on the part of the person as well as extensive social support from the community- we would need Star Trek levels of full luxury gay space communism to deprogram that many people at once.

We need strong leadership putting forth a coherent vision of a better future (that these individuals can latch onto) so that they have a reason/motivation to begin the long process of deprogramming themselves. Hope is the ultimate antidote to Narrativism- we need leftist leadership preaching a coherent vision of the future that inspires hope.

Naturally there's going to be a bunch of posts after this wherein certain posters try and assure themselves that this is a generational problem that will go away if they just ignore it long enough; IE it's only the Boomers that are the problem and once they die the problem will solve itself. This is absolute nonsense- it's just another way for centrists to shove their head in the sand and ignore a real problem.

Zoomers are being mass indoctrinated into the cultist mindset through exposure to social media, because social media algorithms have figured out that Narrativists obsessively engage with/consume media. The social media algorithms are intentionally spreading the cultist mindset because it drives engagement metrics , and if you think what Facebook is doing to your Gramgrams is bad you should really take a look at what YouTube is doing to 12 year olds. The majority of Zoomers who are becoming cultists are not of a form that is politically aligned yet, it's mostly squabbling over the media spaces that are important to them (e.g. their is an entire Narrativist subculture based around policing relationships in fan fiction on Instagram), but it's only a matter of time until they adopt a politicized form.

This problem ( a huge portion of our population has become cultists via media exposure) may very well be the problem that future Generations remember this period of history for.

Humans are pre-programmed to sort into tribes. The mental damage being done by our current "worship the rich" consumer culture combined with the ready availability of social media is going to be a terrible, terrible thing for future generations.

I also believe that this goes beyond right vs left. Because the current nature of our society allows for people to only seek discourse with like-minded people, people do not learn how to interact with opposing or contrasting viewpoints so we never learn how to deal with them. This is part of how we ended up in the partisan hell we are in now, and it's only going to get worse going forward. Single-issue groups and voters completely incapable of and unable to compromise and figure out how to move forward as a society.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 5, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This is definitely an outlier poll but

Yikes

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

It's all meaningless outside of some specific demographic contexts and everyone hates the label they end up with. Dumb poo poo like "Oregon Trail Generation" exists because some people really don't want to be called millennials, even though 1980+ was always solidly Not Gen X.

Oregon Trail Generation instead of millennial is really weird to me because the original game came out in 1971, and as Gen-X, I played it in like 4th grade on an Apple IIe.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Remember a world without computers: Gen X

Much of Gen X knew of computers, but the tail end likely interacted with them when they were young enough that it was always a 'part' of their lives.

SpeakSlow posted:

Y'all are lucky as hell. Gen-X got the full brunt of Boomer gaslighting and it hosed us up bad.

Have you SEEN the 90s? Neon colors, heroin and meth. loving hell.

Yea, I guess. A very simplistic way to look at it is Boomer parents doted on and treated their kids like the world would belong to them when they grew up.

As early as high school, the high hopes and dreams of Gen-X were crushed by the realization it was all bullshit and there's nothing we could do to change poo poo because Boomers would never relinquish control.

So we, for the most part, gave up and that's how we got grunge/alternative music.

There were a lot of other fashions that were good, though, and should be brought back.

Plus it's a crime New Jack Swing and Hip House went away.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 5, 2019

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

So My grandmother-in-law lived through the great depression and totally takes ketchup packets home from McDonalds. We found one that we were able to place in the 80s in around 2008. It was opened and it was black and gross.

If you ever need a substance to instantly trigger a gag reflex, a 20+ year old ketchup packet will do the trick.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Doctor Butts posted:

Oregon Trail Generation instead of millennial is really weird to me because the original game came out in 1971, and as Gen-X, I played it in like 4th grade on an Apple IIe.

Much of Gen X knew of computers, but the tail end likely interacted with them when they were young enough that it was always a 'part' of their lives.

Yea, I guess. A very simplistic way to look at it is Boomer parents doted on and treated their kids like the world would belong to them when they grew up.

As early as high school, the high hopes and dreams of Gen-X were crushed by the realization it was all bullshit and there's nothing we could do to change poo poo because Boomers would never relinquish control.

So we, for the most part, gave up and that's how we got grunge/alternative music.

There were a lot of other fashions that were good, though, and should be brought back.

Plus it's a crime New Jack Swing and Hip House went away.

The ending speech of SLC Punk is the spirit animal of Gen X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HDXVeXqJFo

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Neo Rasa posted:

Have to post now because this is one of the rare opportunities where I can point out that the stars spoken and I am a golden metal cock.

Now I just need your inner animal (guides are available online) and the name of your elementary school.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Shbobdb posted:

So I'm a water dog.

Trump is a fire dog. Critical weakness: Junk food. Checks out.

Bernie is a metal snake. Very auspicious.

Hillary is a fire pig. I am sure you could make some sexist hay out of that one.

Warren is an earth ox. Very lucky.

I like these. How did you determine them?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

OB_Juan posted:

I like these. How did you determine them?

Look at a list of Chinese years I assume.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

My work is asking me to do things and I am like "You know there is a loving election in VA right now right? You think I am going to do poo poo today?"

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Prester Jane posted:

The ending speech of SLC Punk is the spirit animal of Gen X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HDXVeXqJFo

I feel like the appeal of this movie to everyone who loved it hosed up any sort of understanding of anarchy that could be had for a generation.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
On the one hand, astrology is not a thing I'm into or care about. On the other hand, metal monkey is pretty rad.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Doctor Butts posted:

This is interesting- was is part of your schooling or did you have access to a computer separately and played it?

My take on the Oregon Trail Generation is that starting in the late 80s, everyone who had a computer class in elementary or middle school played that game at some point. I know not everyone had those classes, but it's still a large part of the population that has the shared experience of playing it in class, not outside of it.
So it's a generation that was basically in elementary school right as computers were being stuck in a bunch of schools around the country. Not solidly gen x, not solidly millennial.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is definitely an outlier poll but

Yikes

National polls are misleading.

We should be looking at polling for battleground states. Trump is in trouble in some, but for many it is only Biden who is leading Trump comfortably. Warren and Sanders are behind or even in many battleground state polls.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

syntaxrigger posted:

So My grandmother-in-law lived through the great depression and totally takes ketchup packets home from McDonalds. We found one that we were able to place in the 80s in around 2008. It was opened and it was black and gross.

If you ever need a substance to instantly trigger a gag reflex, a 20+ year old ketchup packet will do the trick.

It's always seemed crazy to me that one ~6-year period of privation during one's youth can imprint you so hard that 80 subsequent years of life as a functioning adult in a prosperous country can't teach you different habits.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Data Graham posted:

It's always seemed crazy to me that one ~6-year period of privation during one's youth can imprint you so hard that 80 subsequent years of life as a functioning adult in a prosperous country can't teach you different habits.

That's Trauma®

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1191470625883185152

Pete's supporters are a buncha white-rear end dorks

Edit:

GET hosed NAZI SCUM

https://twitter.com/AntiFashGordon/status/1191501555834540033

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

syntaxrigger posted:

Ok but how did it taste?