Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1191733240706609153

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I read that piece in the Graun about the Tory instructions to candidates not to sign pledges on the NHS or climate. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/05/dont-sign-pledges-on-nhs-or-climate-tory-hq-tells-candidates

However, further on in the doc they also ask Tory candidates not to sign a pledge against voter ID - they're definitely gearing up to restrict the franchise.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

From context another report of Johnson fleeing to the safe haven of Rutland and Melton.
This is far too close for comfort for me.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Necrothatcher posted:

What does the thread think about canvassing and poppies? I wouldn't ordinarily wear one, but at the same time I don't want its absence to be a lightning rod for arguments.

Wear a white one.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

tritsch posted:

Wear a white one.

That might be a bigger lightning rod for arguments than no poppy at all.

Wear a rainbow one.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Necrothatcher posted:

What does the thread think about canvassing and poppies? I wouldn't ordinarily wear one, but at the same time I don't want its absence to be a lightning rod for arguments.

I’d just do it, I’d view getting my message across as worth the risk, rather than ending up on a tangent.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Diane Abbott will lose her seat to the Lib Dem candidate Jessflips Abbott-Fuckov, who will be wearing blackface.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Corbyn should absolutely agree to do the three way debate.

At some point someone is going to turn to Swinson and ask "what the gently caress are your OTHER policies?" and at that pint she'll dissolve like the Wicked Witch of the West.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Braggart posted:

Diane Abbott will lose her seat to the Lib Dem candidate Jessflips Abbott-Fuckov, who will be wearing blackface.

Another good ad from the twitter:

https://twitter.com/IslingtonLibDem/status/1132758930612998144

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Essentially no one is going to give a poo poo if you wear one, people will give a poo poo if you don't. As it's not really relevant to what you're canvassing about so just wear one. People like people that look like them, you're already hitting the sweet spot of white-middle class, slap a poppy on and you'll get much better engagement from lot of people.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Just caught on the Bloomberg ticker: "Theresa May is Going to Hit the Lucrative U.S. Lecture Circuit." Not sure if she's standing down and cashing in or if this is how she's intending to fund her campaign in arrears

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What could May possibly give a lecture on

She achieved NOTHING

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I thought this was a parody at first but reading through the thread they’re actually serious...and fubpees are actually buying it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Essentially no one is going to give a poo poo if you wear one, people will give a poo poo if you don't. As it's not really relevant to what you're canvassing about so just wear one. People like people that look like them, you're already hitting the sweet spot of white-middle class, slap a poppy on and you'll get much better engagement from lot of people.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I thought this was a parody at first but reading through the thread they’re actually serious...and fubpees are actually buying it.

people are more likely to vote for you if they think you're going to win so they're on the "winning team", its the strategy the lib dems are heavily leaning on and will probably feature throughout to enable Swinson's "Candidate for Prime Minister" fantasy

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

She achieved NOTHING

That's not stopped any other rich dickhead going on a book / speaking tour though

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

As much as I want the compete destruction of the Tories, I can't deny I'll take more pleasure from watching the Lib Dem dream to go up in smoke more than almost anything else from this election - they're just such arseholes

Luxury Tent Carpet fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 5, 2019

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

As much as I want the compete destruction of the Tories, I can't deny I'll take most pleasure from watching the Lib Dem dream to go up in smoke more than almost anything else from this election - they're just such arseholes

it's because the Tories at least admit to being Tories. LibDems are Tories who keep denying it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She achieved NOTHING

"Zen: How to Stay Cheerful While Always Failing"

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

She achieved NOTHING

The hostile environment. It's a highly successful policy if you're right wing, at least in the metrics that matter ;)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Anyone got any good sources/quotes from EU folks saying they'd renegotiate the Brexit Deal with Labour?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To be clear I don't think "it creates jobs" is necessarily the best argument for maintaining the ability to fry millions of people alive and start a global nuclear war, but that's just the limitation of trade unionism.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

To be clear I don't think "it creates jobs" is necessarily the best argument for maintaining the ability to fry millions of people alive and start a global nuclear war, but that's just the limitation of trade unionism.

Unions are about defending their workers not for world peace.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So just today the Tories have:

1) Insulted the victims of Grenfell
2) Released a doctored video of Keir Starmer and been called out on it
3) Leaked a briefing document forbidding Tories from signing pledges to protect the NHS or prevent climate change, but expressly allowing them to pledge to protect shooting animals for sport.

Guys, we can only use so much ammunition. Pace yourselves!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

straight-to-japan mushroom jet
is this one of those anime sex things

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Crosspost from CSPAM because loving hell:

Dravs posted:

This sounds about right...

quote:

A former general election candidate for the Brexit Party has stood down after it emerged that she believes she comes from the star Sirius and that aliens are already working with world governments.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/jill-hughes-claims-to-be-from-sirius-1-6356375

Too many quotes in here to highlight

quote:

Jill Hughes, who was the party's prospective candidate for Batley and Spen, also believes in "elves/fairies/mermaids/unicorns and all things elemental and otherworldly", and that her horse was reincarnated as another horse.

quote:

"The E.T's, some of them less than apple pie wholesome or positive pumpkins, are already here working with our world governments, but that's all hush-hush for now," she said.

quote:

Hughes claimed to be a "No.1 bestselling author" and that she is "one of the UK's leading wealth mentors" but Hope Not Hate could find little evidence for these other than noting that Hughes had been one of 15 contributors to a spiritual self help book called "Inspired by the Passion Test".

Absolutely. Batshit. Insane. BREXIT

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

*laughs in wobbly*

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

jabby posted:

So just today the Tories have:

1) Insulted the victims of Grenfell
2) Released a doctored video of Keir Starmer and been called out on it
3) Leaked a briefing document forbidding Tories from signing pledges to protect the NHS or prevent climate change, but expressly allowing them to pledge to protect shooting animals for sport.

Guys, we can only use so much ammunition. Pace yourselves!

Aye, with that and the brexit announcement from labour entirely overshadowing the pisstories campaign launch its been a pretty nice day

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Pro nuclear/military engineering advocates like to pretend that there's nothing better all those engineers could be doing with their qualifications and that shutting them down means huge numbers of job losses. There's no reason a government scaling back the military couldn't fund any number of infrastructure and technology programmes that create something positive for society rather than megadeath weapons which in the best case scenario are never used and are simply a waste of time and money.

You might even get more people into the precious stem fields if their job prospects are something other than oil or death.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Interesting comparison of trend lines then and trendlines now https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1191611249987129344

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tesseraction posted:

I'm pretty sure nuclear annihilation is bad for workers but ymmv

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

As the Liberal Democratic candidate for wherever this is - I don't know I'm still struggling to take off my parachute - I understand that people keep wanting to pathetically fixate on the 2010 coalition when we allegedly formed a government with the Conservatives. Well, I am hearing these foolish concerns and can assure you that I will not go into a coalition with Labour. I will go into a coalition with Jo Swinson, and she will go into a coalition with whoever makes the best offer. Now, can someone cut me down from this tree? I'm getting dizzy.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

sebzilla posted:

Anyone got any good sources/quotes from EU folks saying they'd renegotiate the Brexit Deal with Labour?

The Taoiseach;

"Any change to the political declaration is possible, but the Withdrawal Agreement is closed and the only way that that could ever change would be if there was a fundamental change in red lines from the next UK prime minister or the next UK government.

"For example, a decision to stay in the customs union or to stay in the single market, and I think that was well understood by him," he said.

E: forgot source
https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0530/1052606-varadkar-corbyn/

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 5, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm pretty sure nuclear annihilation is bad for workers but ymmv

Let me play Death Stranding this weekend and then I'll get back to you.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Necrothatcher posted:

If they're the sort of person that wants to pick an argument with you because you haven't got a poppy on then you were probably never gonna convince them of much anyway so dunno if you need to compromise or whatever.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Had to share this tasteful piece of merchandise my football club have put out.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

Interesting comparison of trend lines then and trendlines now https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1191611249987129344

Over that 20 week period the Tories went up about 3% and Labour up about 12%

If the same happens this time it'll be painfully even again. We really need either a quicker boost than 2017 or a Tory drop.

Hoping for a BXP surge :hotpickle:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

It is an unrealistic fantasy to imagine that history could repeat itself. Corbyn will lose his seat, Jo will become Prime Minister and No Deal Brexit will be rebranded as Remain+

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Over that 20 week period the Tories went up about 3% and Labour up about 12%

If the same happens this time it'll be painfully even again. We really need either a quicker boost than 2017 or a Tory drop.

Hoping for a BXP surge :hotpickle:

The Tories are the crashing out party, support for that it's what <20%? Add on the fact that they're going to gently caress the NHS and workers rights, they're absolutely going to lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I'm getting very frustrated about people saying labours Brexit policy isn't clear, because the counterpoint is the Lib Dems and no one seems to know if they are now planning to revoke without a recurring or if they still support a referendum, and if they do what there terms of their referendum would be. Have they actually firmly set out their policy anywhere?