Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ungulateman posted:

Liliana's Triumph. Angrath's Rampage. Blessed Alliance. Languish. Ugin.

Perilous Vault, Descend Upon the Sinful, Ravnica at War, Urza's Ruinous Blast and Merciless Eviction can also do it but are not playable/played.

Ugin is the only card I've seen played from that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Why is Thirsting Bloodlord an uncommon from m20 and also 4 bucks each?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Sickening posted:

I think it's a planeswalker deck card?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

it's from the planeswalker theme deck

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ungulateman posted:

Liliana's Triumph. Angrath's Rampage. Blessed Alliance. Languish. Ugin.

Perilous Vault, Descend Upon the Sinful, Ravnica at War, Urza's Ruinous Blast and Merciless Eviction can also do it but are not playable/played.

I stand by my statement. I'm looking at the PTQ lists and the most recent 5-0s and I don't see alot of the ones you mentioned, except Languish in sideboards, and Settle the Wreckage maindeck in some control lists. Unless you see a Bogles takeover, I don't think edict effects are going to be working in Pioneer.

Although going through the lists I did see this thing of beauty: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pioneer-ub-112645#paper

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sickening posted:

A 4 mana lord is still a tribal lord for a very popular tribe and is only in a planeswalker deck, pretty good work on WotC's part.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That card is unplayable dogshit, FYI

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

That card is unplayable dogshit, FYI

So are a lot of cards people want to play with, like Relic of Progenitus in Pauper.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GoutPatrol posted:

Although going through the lists I did see this thing of beauty: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pioneer-ub-112645#paper

I'm quoting myself because I can't stop thinking about this. How many of the wins came from snap concedes with Dark Deal on the stack? What chat messages were written when someone tried playing Cruise and in response got a Thief in?

This is like the American Psycho scene and it gets with me sweating.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm quoting myself because I can't stop thinking about this. How many of the wins came from snap concedes with Dark Deal on the stack? What chat messages were written when someone tried playing Cruise and in response got a Thief in?

This is like the American Psycho scene and it gets with me sweating.

One of those wins was me - turns out Jeskai Ascendancy can't beat 4 Narset 4 Notion Thief and then a bunch of counterspells discard and wraths.

Though I also managed to draw 40 cards by grinding through a long game 2 and totally missed on Fry, so that was unpleasant.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Wasteland and Port do that too.

what I'm saying is print Wasteland and Port and magic is saved from itself.

I played with Port when it was legal in Standard. Don't print Port. gently caress Port and everything about the gameplay it represents. If Port is the only answer that exists for Pioneer's mana control then just burn the loving format down now.

Land Destruction that is affordable and viable early but doesn't auto-include mana fixing is probably a necessary evil for the future of the format but neither Wasteland or Rishadan Port (gently caress port) are what one would call a 'healthy' answer for the format.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
"Upkeep Port your Port" is a phrase I hope to never hear uttered again

Edit: time to post some content. Here's a fun brew I've been having incredibly good results with:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2424469#paper

I went to Eternal Weekend this week and went undefeated across three pioneer challenges, and have been tearing up the lgs tables with this. A small sable size to be sure, but that's all any of us really have right now I suppose. A proactive Thoughtseize deck seems like one of the best things to be doing in this format.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 5, 2019

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

While I am a broken man for liking the rebel mechanic during when masques was in standard, rashidian port was a terrible loving card, full stop. Absolute garbage and just served to draw out games and color screw multicolored decks.

You would randomly win and lose games due to how many of the 4 ports you drew, vs. How many your opponent drew.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Drewjitsu posted:

While I am a broken man for liking the rebel mechanic during when masques was in standard, rashidian port was a terrible loving card, full stop. Absolute garbage and just served to draw out games and color screw multicolored decks.

You would randomly win and lose games due to how many of the 4 ports you drew, vs. How many your opponent drew.

Not to mention the coin flip being the most impactful part of port mirrors. Also Lin Sivvi owned, hell yeah

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mr. Locke posted:

Land Destruction that is affordable and viable early but doesn't auto-include mana fixing is probably a necessary evil for the future of the format but neither Wasteland or Rishadan Port (gently caress port) are what one would call a 'healthy' answer for the format.

I wouldn't be surprised if good land destruction is just one of those things that WotC thinks is an antiquated part of Magic and not worth printing in a future Standard environment (outside of lands where it costs you a resource as well). What was the most-recent playable land D spell? Mwonvuli Acid-Moss? Maybe Crumble to Dust?

E: This is somewhat similar to my theory that we're not getting any Constructed-playable mill spells anytime soon, because Wizards ostensibly designs current sets to be good for Limited and having too good of a Mill deck ruins The Limited Experience or whatever.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 5, 2019

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

C-Euro posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if good land destruction is just one of those things that WotC thinks is an antiquated part of Magic and not worth printing in a future Standard environment (outside of lands where it costs you a resource as well). What was the most-recent playable land D spell? Mwonvuli Acid-Moss? Maybe Crumble to Dust?

Does Agent of Treachery count?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
They don't print land destruction cards that are more efficient than Demolish - and they shouldn't - but Field of Ruin is exactly the sort of format-agnostic nonbasic land card hate that should just always be in standard :shrug:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ungulateman posted:

They don't print land destruction cards that are more efficient than Demolish - and they shouldn't - but Field of Ruin is exactly the sort of format-agnostic nonbasic land card hate that should just always be in standard :shrug:

I definitely agree that field of ruin or something similar should be in all standards.

Port and Wasteland are rancid cards and just crank the variance in magic up, while creating terrible games.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ravager Wurm could’ve have just eaten any land and it still wouldn’t have been half as strong as Nissa but Gruul/x decks would’ve have a way to race Golos Field decks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ungulateman posted:

Agreed, Field should be one of those evergreen Standard cards. But it wouldn't surprise me if that's the high watermark for land destruction for the foreseeable future.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Did they just print a saga that Armageddons? Like only a few years ago?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

they said PLAYABLE land destruction

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Tectonic Rift was playable!

(In the wishboard of a Golos deck and mainly for the blocking part)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Does Oko really need to be banned in Pioneer?

Can you imagine the poo poo show if they banned oko in pioneer before they banned him in standard lol

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Paul Zuvella posted:

Can you imagine the poo poo show if they banned oko in pioneer before they banned him in standard lol

I'm inclined to believe that they won't ban Oko in any format until they've also banned Oko in Standard, and that they won't ban Oko in Standard while Eldraine is the most current Standard set.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cactrot posted:

I'm inclined to believe that they won't ban Oko in any format until they've also banned Oko in Standard, and that they won't ban Oko in Standard while Eldraine is the most current Standard set.

Banning Standard is certainly a brave alternative, if stupid

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Standard has effectively been banned because literally no stores in my general area are running standard events anymore

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Well this is something I guess.

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1191764883790061568?s=19

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Cactrot posted:

Didn't take long for me to be wrong about this.

https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1191765428999270400

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait can you still play Brawl in some arcane way like you can Historic

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Now we can't complain about Oko not being banned!

Now you can see No Okos once a week!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Edit: Whoops

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

On Wednesdays!

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Direct challenge? But that doesn’t enforce ban lists anyway.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So Oko's kind of banned, but only in a very slim format that's playable once a week, and only on Arena. I'm sure that's only going to have a huge upward swing on the already sky high price of him. I should have gotten my set at launch for the Sultai tokens deck I wanted to play. The deck is trash, but I could have easily gotten my starting cash out by just selling the Oko playset.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

rkajdi posted:

So Oko's kind of banned, but only in a very slim format that's playable once a week, and only on Arena. I'm sure that's only going to have a huge upward swing on the already sky high price of him. I should have gotten my set at launch for the Sultai tokens deck I wanted to play. The deck is trash, but I could have easily gotten my starting cash out by just selling the Oko playset.

Oko's actually come down quite a lot, you can get LP copies on tcgplayer for ~$34. Still dumb, but seeing as he was $60 not 2 weeks ago, it's better I guess?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Oko's actually come down quite a lot, you can get LP copies on tcgplayer for ~$34. Still dumb, but seeing as he was $60 not 2 weeks ago, it's better I guess?

Is it his Oath of Nissa getting the axe or everyone and their grandmother(s) expecting a standard ban?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Is it his Oath of Nissa getting the axe or everyone and their grandmother(s) expecting a standard ban?

I don't understand how someone couldn't expect a standard ban at this point. Its going to break a metagame record in the next pro tour.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Not oath, it’s been a steady slide from the peak. I think it’s a combo of people being worried he gets banned everywhere, and supply steadily increasing as people open packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Someone posted a modern burn decklist on Twitter with oko in the side and I'm gonna scream

I would post it but my phone and Twitter don't get along very well when it comes to links