Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Action Jacktion posted:

then they went back to their regular job of killing lots of other animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

infernal machines posted:

what is that damned reptile up to now?

right click, end process,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl5ljaNNu7I

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

drat, UNIROYAL going hard for the YOSPOS market

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Greenpos is wrongpos

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Greenpos is wrongpos

And that's why it's the best

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Greenpos is wrongpos

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

NoneMoreNegative posted:

drat, UNIROYAL going hard for the YOSPOS market

uniroyal computer cat VS radio shack cue cat

who ya got?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

prefect posted:

how the hell did a deer get five miles out in the ocean?

It was a European deer trying to make a transatlantic crossing.

In a roe boat.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

electricity is just like water until you remember it's actually flowing out of the drain and back into the tap

if you put electricity thru two different resistors in parallel, calculating the current thru each comes from a bizarre formula right? that doesn’t make any sense

does water do the same?

i guess the actual equivalent in water wouldn’t just be flow restriction, because resistors also use energy into heat? so it would be like flow restriction with water but also holes in the pipe for water to escape

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
rip freckles, thought of swimming and died

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/KSxIhhl.mp4

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

has anyone else been getting bad gateway errors upon replying today?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Good Sphere posted:

no, just you

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Good Sphere posted:

thats no error

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Good Sphere posted:

yes. it's "fixed" for now

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah it's gonna happen again though, I haven't fixed the underlying issue. It's the same thing as last time, I gotta find what's deadlocking my script against the unindexed posts table. I get how it's related to redirects now - making a post involves inserting into a table that my script is removing from, they contend for the same table. I just don't see how it's locking up. (It is InnoDB for whoever was asking, thank god, but that means I don't know what's wrong.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

if you put electricity thru two different resistors in parallel, calculating the current thru each comes from a bizarre formula right? that doesn’t make any sense

does water do the same?

i guess the actual equivalent in water wouldn’t just be flow restriction, because resistors also use energy into heat? so it would be like flow restriction with water but also holes in the pipe for water to escape

they made me take EE in college but I don't remember this

I do remember learning that analyzing AC circuits is literally the only real-world application of imaginary numbers

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

infernal machines posted:

yes. it's "fixed" for now

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah it's gonna happen again though, I haven't fixed the underlying issue. It's the same thing as last time, I gotta find what's deadlocking my script against the unindexed posts table. I get how it's related to redirects now - making a post involves inserting into a table that my script is removing from, they contend for the same table. I just don't see how it's locking up. (It is InnoDB for whoever was asking, thank god, but that means I don't know what's wrong.)

thank you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

echinopsis posted:

does water do the same?

idk, the math doesn't seem that weird to me. it's basically saying "more of the current will flow through the one with less resistance to current flow, and the exact amount depends on the ratio between the different paths." i doubt you can use the exact same equations for fluids but the principle is quite similar. given a hose that forks into a large pipe and a small pipe and an infinite water supply, more water will come out of the large pipe.

re the second point don't confuse current flow with heat transfer. electrons are not converted into heat -- every electron that goes in one side of the resistor pushes another one out the other side. the heat comes from both the current and voltage (i.e. the power) so it's more like the energy of the water banging around inside the pipe is turning into sound and vibration, not that water is getting lost through the walls.

e: VVVVVV yeah the water analogy only works for very simple concepts because there are a lot of things that electricity can do that water can't. try to avoid thinking of it that way if possible

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 5, 2019

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

echinopsis posted:

does water do the same?

V = IR

also when i was first getting into circuits someone 'helped' me by telling me to think of water whenever solving a circuit and that was by far the most toxic advice i ever got in college. it works for a while until you start getting into mildly complicated circuits and then hoo boy are you hosed

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

does water do the same?

Conductance sums in parallel. C = C1 + C2 + C3 + ..., time water works the same way.

Resistance is the inverse of conductance, R = 1/C.

Put the two equations together and you get R = 1 / (1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...).

Then plug that and the voltage across the entire network into Ohm's Law V = IR and solve for I to get I = V * (1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...)

(C is usually capacitance or something idk, whatever the correct letter is)

e: oh yeah analyzing each individual resistor is a bit more complicated i guess

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'm the double-width Aimbot button

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Tagging myself: the throw the printer on the floor button

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

NoneMoreNegative posted:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

wait wait wait

Goatke

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I had no idea ACE made keyboards

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Klauser posted:

I had no idea ACE made keyboards

lol I don't have my glasses on and I thought it was an rear end brand keyboard

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
smh if you've never zoned out to ABB or 3M cable splicing videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYcxteyZcRo

simble
May 11, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

wait wait wait

Goatke

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Cocoa Crispies posted:

we finished testing ur mom's dildo

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Greenpos is wrongpos

GREENPOS SUPREMACY MOTHAFUCKA

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm the question mark key.

No, the other question mark key.

Lenny Nero
Apr 14, 2007

I'm the magic man...The Santa Claus of the subconscious

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I enjoyed this linked video too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJi_Ms8L3E

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

they're hydraulic computers. when liquid is forced through them, it gets pumped into paths that correspond to computations just like electricity in a circuit and comes out the other end in a pattern that represents the answer.

Sure but they're also called valve bodies and part of nearly every automatic transmission. Most of that output is directly actuating band brakes and wet clutches.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

NoneMoreNegative posted:

im the key that specifically calls out things to the left of me as bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Man