Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I'm convinced any UBI program tried in this country will instantly fail because it will just be sucked up by landlords.

i'm not a fan of ubi for exactly that reason. i rarely see a national rent control program proposed alongside it (much less the seizing of rental properties). hell, andrew yang has an infographic talking about how renter protections mean that your rents can't be raised because of ubi, which is totally incorrect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I'm convinced any UBI program tried in this country will instantly fail because it will just be sucked up by landlords.

UBI under capitalism is handing over the last vestiges of power the working class have and hoping that this time the capitalists will value human life

They won't.

Lambert posted:

Same, but with universal healthcare: The extra money people have because healthcare is cheaper means landlords will increase rent. Better not attempt it.

Let's see if you can guess why those two things are different.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
when universal healthcare was introduced in Britain it didnt make anyone have any more money because nobody had health insurance in the first place. if you got sick you just died, slowly and in enough pain to keep the whole street awake with your screaming

not that landlords could've jacked prices anyway because we also let people squat and went on a massive social housing construction spree

basically americans have you considered adopting policies that even a bankrupt post-ww2 european country could successfully implement

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
And now, Brexit! This is what socialized medicine leads to, do you really want that in americcuh?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
i'm really getting tired of error 502

HorseLord has issued a correction as of 15:41 on Nov 5, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

God Hole posted:

what do you think abortively radicalized him and exacerbated his mental illness

LaVeyan Satanism, a weird anti-capitalist reading of Ayn Rand, and growing up (and doing crime) in the Soviet Union in the 80's, weirdly enough.

Look it's a really complicated story.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like I'm pretty sure he hated capitalism more because it meant he had to have a boss and couldn't just beat people up and take poo poo, he was very devoted to the idea of Might Makes Right and his idea of anarchy wasn't some harmonious commune but rather Mad Max, and that was cool and good to him and why he had to beat and rape his kid, to prepare them for that.

Sure capitalism caused a chunk of this poo poo but boy is there a lot of layers to this horrible cake of a person other than that. Dude was super broken and super evil in lots of horrible ways that she's still trying to reconcile in her head over a decade and a half later.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Colonel Cancer posted:

And now, Brexit! This is what socialized medicine leads to, do you really want that in americcuh?

honestly america voting to leave the eu in solidarity with britain, despite not being a member, would be pretty funny

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i just got glasses for the first time as an adult. my wife and i have vision insurance, but i couldn't find anyone near me that took it. Anyway, $120 for an exam and a pair of cheap internet eyeglasses, i can see! huzzah! but that's not really my capitalism story today.

because i can now see things like words on small roadside signs, i noticed for the first time this morning a small political yard-sign-sized ad stating "we buy diabetic test strips" like "we but gold" or "we buy houses."

this leads me to conclude that the strips cost way too loving much and that people aren't just rationing their insulin in this hell country

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Eat This Glob posted:

i just got glasses for the first time as an adult. my wife and i have vision insurance, but i couldn't find anyone near me that took it. Anyway, $120 for an exam and a pair of cheap internet eyeglasses, i can see! huzzah! but that's not really my capitalism story today.

because i can now see things like words on small roadside signs, i noticed for the first time this morning a small political yard-sign-sized ad stating "we buy diabetic test strips" like "we but gold" or "we buy houses."

this leads me to conclude that the strips cost way too loving much and that people aren't just rationing their insulin in this hell country

If you live near one America's Best is pretty solid for uninsured vision. Even if you don't plan to get them it's $100 to join the contact club which gets you three years of appointments and 10% off contact purchases.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

HorseLord posted:

i'm really getting tired of error 502

lol if you let forum errors stop you from :justpost:ing

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I would be up for a modified UBI somewhat. Say, expanding Social Security to cover people who lose their jobs to automation.

I'm sure if you passed Yang style UBI right now it would have positive effects in the short term--as they have shown in every pilot project, simply because the middle class is fatigued and putting any money back into it helps. But it would be a sugar rush. After a few short years, rising cost of living and stagnant wages would eat the gains.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/guardianeco/status/1191368260257628161

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Huh I didn't know it snowed there at this time of the yea... oh :ohdear:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Jesus....

That's depressing as gently caress.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That...

the article posted:

Toxic Foam

jfc :stonk:

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

holy loving poo poo thats cyperpunk dystopia as hell. it looks like a movie set!

:(

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/nprbusiness/status/1191809040621305856

quote:

According to an analysis by executive compensation experts Equilar, Easterbrook's exit package totals $41.8 million, which includes six months of severance pay, shares he can cash out in the future and other equity. And that sum is in addition to $23.8 million in stock options that Easterbrook can exercise now.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

he deserves this

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Makes sense that one guy gets 50 million dollars for

*checks notes*

getting fired?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

if you dont promise a large severance package when firing someone for violating company guidelines how can you attract top talent

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hodgepodge posted:

e: it's probably worth mentioning that the nuclear family is a new experiment even for capitalism, that's why it's called "nuclear." it mostly exists to drive consumerism, ie maximizing the necessary amount of homes, vehicles, etc.

two pages back but lmao

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

duz posted:

if you dont promise a large severance package when firing someone for violating company guidelines how can you attract top talent

Article says he was fired over an inappropriate work relationship.

Clearly, McDonalds is simply staying true to the ancient Babylonian system of justice: "eye for an eye". In this case, package for package.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Feral Integral posted:

holy loving poo poo thats cyperpunk dystopia as hell. it looks like a movie set!

:(

Specifically Stalker

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Show milky foams.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Let's leave it there.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Perhaps we should improve society somewhat" I say as a corrosive mass of toxic foam lumbers through the city streets like The Blob.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kill them all btw

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

What did he really do that was terrible enough that it couldn't just be swept under the rug?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

this is what I'm saying when I say poo poo like 'bernie is cool but lacks a material analysis'. the fundamental problem is that we have rich people, whether we're talking millionaires or billionaires or business owners or landlords or even some weirdo renting tools out of the back of a pickup is completely inconsequential. they own private property and its inherently destabilizing and bad for society and like a cancer, nothing will ever be right until its gone

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sanders is a standard social democrat, he's not going to upset capitalism. He's just notable because the US is so right-wing in general.

Lambert has issued a correction as of 12:30 on Nov 6, 2019

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

What did he really do that was terrible enough that it couldn't just be swept under the rug?

relationship with a subordinate

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Lambert posted:

Sanders is a standard social democrat, he's not going to upset capitalism. He's just notable because the US is so right-wing in general.

Sanders is the compromise candidate.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Forceholy posted:

Sanders is the compromise candidate.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

If it was anything like the Intel CEO who stood down for the same reason, and got a similar severance package. Sleeping with a subordinate was just a weapon his internal rivals used to force him out.

Easiest way to climb the corporate ladder is to sabotage those standing in your way.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
remember when google glass was pretty much just an excuse for Sergey to gently caress his mistress and then it blew up in his face but nobody seemed to care anymore after a short while and it all just kind of faded

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lancemantis posted:

remember when google glass was pretty much just an excuse for Sergey to gently caress his mistress and then it blew up in his face but nobody seemed to care anymore after a short while and it all just kind of faded

lmao I don't know about any of this, got a quick synposis?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

lancemantis posted:

remember ... google glass

nope

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

lmao I don't know about any of this, got a quick synposis?

http://valleywag.gawker.com/meet-the-google-founders-mistress-1219044247

Basically he was loving the marketing manager for glass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/herr_naphta/status/1192145243786878976

Article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-sale-sat-takers-names-colleges-buy-student-data-and-boost-exclusivity-11572976621