Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The non-fidelitious Zoo game has 34 thousand concurrent players on Steam. That's only 26x the concurrent players Star Citizen has :negative:

And 60 thousand viewers on Twitch, more than SC ever gets even during CitizensConned :suicide:

e:
https://i.imgur.com/SEZQvyG.gifv

Quavers fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

TheAgent posted:

nerds are like motorcycles, they are fun until you try to do something cool and instead end up crashing in a spectacular fashion

hello?

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

monkeytek posted:

Speaking of, I'm still waiting for my "Reeeeeeeeeeeeeee" badge. To whom do I submit to for the badge?

Jane in Accounting has been mentioned before

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Turbonerd. I really really like it man!

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

TheAgent posted:

nerds are like motorcycles, they are fun until you try to do something cool and instead end up crashing in a spectacular fashion

e: internet broke

Baxta fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 5, 2019

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

HI!

mjotto fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 5, 2019

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

quote:

Stimpire.txt

"Punch them to a pulp, against their will" - pure poetry.

Every time I read this I discover something new.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spatial posted:

The trick CIG tried to pull is pretty good.

Their engine is built on CryEngine. Lumberyard is too. Their common ancestry means if you go back far enough in time they are 100% identical. And Lumberyard is free. So to avoid giving Crytek anything, one day they decided that their development history which up until then was on top of CryEngine, was actually on top of Lumberyard the whole time, and that they're now developing in Lumberyard as a result and it's not CryEngine anymore. They try to make this look like a technical change by calling it an "engine switch" but it isn't. No code changed. What they're trying to change is their interpretation of the past.

You can see how this allows for a lot of bullshitting about what is actually being used and how it relates to whatever license they agreed to and that's the idea. They figured with this ambiguity they would slip out of their agreements with Crytek and they couldn't afford to fight it. That gambit hasn't quite gone to plan. Chris has an unfortunate history with breaches of contract so he might be getting a bit worried!

This is the first summary of this I've read that actually cuts right to the heart of the stunt CIG tried to pull. Too many people focused on whether or not Cryengine and Lumberyard "forked," were "different" and all the technical obfuscation that they wanted people to focus on. This here is what happened in a nice nutshell.

Spatial posted:

No code changed. What they're trying to change is their interpretation of the past.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

lol if you actually read the Stimpire.txt

There are truths contained in the sacred text that some are not worthy to know.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
CIG also argued at one point that sure, they are using lumberyard now 100%, but even if they were still using their old cryengine code it doesn't matter because cryengine is free now

when I'm at court I expect this to be the strategy they go for

"yeah yeah see, sure it uses cryengine still which is also lumberyard but if its not lumberyard we still haven't done anything wrong"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TheAgent posted:

CIG also argued at one point that sure, they are using lumberyard now 100%, but even if they were still using their old cryengine code it doesn't matter because cryengine is free now

when I'm at court I expect this to be the strategy they go for

"yeah yeah see, sure it uses cryengine still which is also lumberyard but if its not lumberyard we still haven't done anything wrong"

Uh

Still think they owe licensing fees regardless of whether CE is now free.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Oh for cripes sake the judge is an astronaut.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Scruffpuff: So Chris, we've heard lots about how your new fibre technology will help catapult Star Citizen forward. Is there anything you can shed some light on along those lines?

Chris: UHHHH well, uhh, well with WING COMMANDER if you remember in the OLD DAYS, there, was, uhh and in GAMES there was a like heavy CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE and people felt like they were IN A MOVIE, and when I had the idea to make another movie game I got so excited I had to CHANGE THE SHEETS, and I noticed, uhhh, there was a TAG ON THE END so I had Sandi read it for me, and it talked about THREAD COUNT and that's how I got the idea, with the POWER IN THE MACHINES today you can get into threads, or really that's the OLD WAY OF THINKING and with the newer, uhh, IDEAS I had such as THAT THING I SAW IN A MOVIE you really have to have a lot of THICK THREADS, which is how you make a FIBRE so that's really the idea behind it, it should be cool, when we have it working.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

Uh

Still think they owe licensing fees regardless of whether CE is now free.
in my silly armchair opinion, CIG broke the GLA 100%. still, its gonna come down to a jury unless CIG descides to use some of that sweet marketing investment money to pay crytek off

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
e: double shitpost

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

in my silly armchair opinion, CIG broke the GLA 100%. still, its gonna come down to a jury unless CIG descides to use some of that sweet marketing investment money to pay crytek off

That's the bit I like. Whatever they've offered, if anything, hasn't been enough. The thing is that so far the defense from Ci!G is that they aren't bound by any of that, and the plaintiffs are merely starfuckers; I've yet to see anything that attacks the core of the issue of the GLA itself.

Then there's the knowledge of wrongdoing which the discovery is aimed at.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

What about those next-gen Star Citizen faces? They sure are the best faces on PC...

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

That's not even a famous person face - ergo Star Citizen is way better.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

That's the bit I like. Whatever they've offered, if anything, hasn't been enough. The thing is that so far the defense from Ci!G is that they aren't bound by any of that, and the plaintiffs are merely starfuckers; I've yet to see anything that attacks the core of the issue of the GLA itself.

Then there's the knowledge of wrongdoing which the discovery is aimed at.
I'd say crytek at this point wants the game dead and couldn't give a gently caress about monetary compensation

crytek's old lawyer hosed them over, their old salesguy hosed them over, their old devs (who they brought up from modder status, hi sean tracy) hosed them over

they want to eat the still beating heart of CIG and wash it down with a river of overpriced, unclean espresso

btw this is a fun slideshow

https://www.slideshare.net/DevCentralAMD/gs4133-sean-tracey

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I do not believe that CI and not G have that kind of cash at their disposal. Not anymore. And not with a vulture capitalist holding the purse strings. Not for this.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

I do not believe that CI and not G have that kind of cash at their disposal. Not anymore. And not with a vulture capitalist holding the purse strings. Not for this.
I think crytek would settle for $30m and an 4% yearly take on gross, their name slapped back on every splash screen and a weekly dev blog devoted to nothing but high praise for crytek and its engine

having the game shut down at this point is far more likely

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

TheAgent posted:

I'd say crytek at this point wants the game dead and couldn't give a gently caress about monetary compensation

crytek's old lawyer hosed them over, their old salesguy hosed them over, their old devs (who they brought up from modder status, hi sean tracy) hosed them over

they want to eat the still beating heart of CIG and wash it down with a river of overpriced, unclean espresso

btw this is a fun slideshow

https://www.slideshare.net/DevCentralAMD/gs4133-sean-tracey

It's sad Crytek did that crazy transition to free-to-play Zynga games and completely failed at it (as anyone would've expected).

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Pixelate posted:

Crytek dumped their shiny FB-spanking lawyers for some little feisty guys. Their takes on the main lines of attack are:

• CIG switched engines so swiftly that they're essentially still using Cryengine. Which means the GLA is still in effect. (They cited CIG's own legal filings here for bonus points).

• They spotted that CIG omitted an inconvenient comma when quoting the GLA. Claim selling SQ42 as a stand alone title contravenes that key clause.

Enough there to proceed to jury trial it seems.

CIG insisted on a 2m+ bond in case Crytek did a runner. Judge whittled it down to 500k (in part because CIG really belaboured how insolvent Crytek are...). Crytek paid...

Discovery is happening. Trial in like, June 2020 or something.

---

Some proper round ups on the latest here and here

Also, 'hello'

And "_"

And a fun recent post...

Awesome, thanks for the writeup. Looks like anything that is even remotely tied to CIG is a clusterfuck, even trial development.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Scruffpuff posted:

Scruffpuff: So Chris, we've heard lots about how your new fibre technology will help catapult Star Citizen forward. Is there anything you can shed some light on along those lines?

Chris: UHHHH well, uhh, well with WING COMMANDER if you remember in the OLD DAYS, there, was, uhh and in GAMES there was a like heavy CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE and people felt like they were IN A MOVIE, and when I had the idea to make another movie game I got so excited I had to CHANGE THE SHEETS, and I noticed, uhhh, there was a TAG ON THE END so I had Sandi read it for me, and it talked about THREAD COUNT and that's how I got the idea, with the POWER IN THE MACHINES today you can get into threads, or really that's the OLD WAY OF THINKING and with the newer, uhh, IDEAS I had such as THAT THING I SAW IN A MOVIE you really have to have a lot of THICK THREADS, which is how you make a FIBRE so that's really the idea behind it, it should be cool, when we have it working.

Welcome back, SomethingJones, how've you been? :hfive:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Then...

quote:

Recruited to Crytek in 2008 from the modding community
Not a programmer! (still quite technical)

Now...

Sean Tracy is the Technical Director of Content in CIG Los Angeles.

:laffo:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I think crytek would settle for $30m and an 4% yearly take on gross, their name slapped back on every splash screen and a weekly dev blog devoted to nothing but high praise for crytek and its engine

having the game shut down at this point is far more likely

They don't have that kind of cash. And doing that would be the deathstroke for Chris having to backstroke on all that posturing and wasting backers money on all this legal mess. I still think that Crytek want blood. Money can be made anywhere, revenge is another matter altogether. Bit I completely agree that this whole program will shut down the moment that CIG gets wind that the lawsuit is not going to go their way.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: (still quite technical)

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Then...

Now...

The incompetence triples every second.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Nah, Chris Robert has been at maximum incompetence for years.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

Nah, Chris Robert has been at maximum incompetence for years.

Oh, my sweet, sweet summer child. Incompetence is an infinite resource!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
The new Overwatch game has a Pusher Robot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQuwivoOHVE&t=117s

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

wait isn't this the police sketch for the unabomber? lol this fan base is the best

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

I'm a cuntiflas and I'm OK
I type all night and I sleep all day

He's a cuntiflas and he's OK
He types all night and he sleeps all day

I shut down threads, so quick and dumb
I like to see you barf
I put on women's clothing and eat a bar of mars

(to be sung to the melody of monty pythons lumberjack song)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mike12345 posted:

wait isn't this the police sketch for the unabomber? lol this fan base is the best

Pretty sure thats the default Cracked.com avatar

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Killcreek got old.
i mean, that's how time works but that's also john romero's wife brenda, not stevie case.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Technical Director (not a programmer, still quite technical!) of content in CIG Los Angeles

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Why the hell do I have Croteam and Crytek mixed up in my head.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/The_Blood_Claw/status/1191829678279004160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pfffffffff