Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Cool cool cool. Yep, avoiding spoilers like the plague. I saw the vending machine but I’ve yet to find any coins. I’m sure that’ll come. I like the new areas to explore and I like that the main character has more personality to start with than Makoto did.

Just- good god, I have zero idea of what the hell is going on. It’s fantastic. When we saw that one character (you know the one), my gf and I could not stop laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I've been enjoying Outer Worlds, so here are a few tips to get the conversation started:

- There is loot everywhere. Jump on boxes, leap up on roofs, crawl under tables, check behind every corner; you're bound to come across a little yellow or red box containing bits, equipment, ammo, and mods.

- Your Lockpick skill is tied to character Intelligence. If you build a low intelligence character, expect to use a lot more Mag-picks opening locked doors and chests.

- Mag-picks are scarce early on. You can wear equipment with bonuses to Lockpicking, eat food that boosts Mind Attributes, or travel with companions who have the lockpicking skill to lower the number of Mag-picks needed to open containers. This can mean the difference between using 4 Mag-picks per lock or using 0 Mag-picks per lock.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Truman Sticks posted:

I've been enjoying Outer Worlds, so here are a few tips to get the conversation started:

- There is loot everywhere. Jump on boxes, leap up on roofs, crawl under tables, check behind every corner; you're bound to come across a little yellow or red box containing bits, equipment, ammo, and mods.

- Your Lockpick skill is tied to character Intelligence. If you build a low intelligence character, expect to use a lot more Mag-picks opening locked doors and chests.

- Mag-picks are scarce early on. You can wear equipment with bonuses to Lockpicking, eat food that boosts Mind Attributes, or travel with companions who have the lockpicking skill to lower the number of Mag-picks needed to open containers. This can mean the difference between using 4 Mag-picks per lock or using 0 Mag-picks per lock.

Building on this: choosing to go sub-average in a stat is always a detriment, but doing so with Intelligence unlocks [Dumb] dialogue options, many of which are funny, one of which is required for a trophy/achievement (if you're into that sort of thing).

Nothing like a person who isn't quite all there declaring that an army of automechanicals is coming to wipe everyone out and bringing an apocalypse (they aren't), and just responding

'[Dumb] Well, gently caress me.'

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I picked low int for the dumb options and I’m having a ball. It’s less fallout 1/2 “you can only communicate in grunts” and more “you cannot process irony”, it’s fun.

I can also pick most locks without using lock picks. I forget if it’s because I maxed perception, stealth, or both, but I’ve been able to do it since level 1 so it’s possible. I’m also playing on story difficulty, but I don’t think that affects lockpocking skill checks, does it?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I picked low int for the dumb options and I’m having a ball. It’s less fallout 1/2 “you can only communicate in grunts” and more “you cannot process irony”, it’s fun.

I can also pick most locks without using lock picks. I forget if it’s because I maxed perception, stealth, or both, but I’ve been able to do it since level 1 so it’s possible. I’m also playing on story difficulty, but I don’t think that affects lockpocking skill checks, does it?

Intelligence affects your lockpicking skill, but as far as I can tell (and this applies to all attribute-skill relationships) only affects the number of skill points you start with - like, if you have 30 points in lockpicking and have low intelligence, you'll be as good as someone with high intelligence that has 30 points in lockpicking.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Truman Sticks posted:

To add on to this

- Combat starts off somewhat difficult but a few hours into the game it becomes trivially easy. You can and will find basic weapons that will instantly double your DPS and turn the game into a cakewalk, and you can find ammo everywhere. Because of that it is wise to keep your combat abilities at level 40 and dump the rest of your points into more fun non-combat skills.

- You can break down and repair items right in your menu, although it is generally less efficient than doing it at a bench.

- The easiest way to get lockpicking/hacking supplies is to upgrade your skills until you can buy restricted items in stores and then just buy out every vending machine you come across, since the tools are cheap.

- This a personal thing, but I would advise against stealing. It's pretty easy to do, especially since pickpocketing has no chance of failure unless visually spotted once unlocked, but it breaks the game even further to the point where it isn't fun.

- Companions do not have an ammo supply, they just use the weapons continually. Got a cool flamethrower that burns through ammo? Give it to your companion.

- The inhaler system is a bit confusing. Using an inhaler will take one of the health restoring items, but any other consumables that gets put into the other open slots will also have their affect applied. Additionally, it does not appear to consume that item when used, only the health one. So if you have only one of a good consumable then slap it in your inhaler and vape your way to victory. (e. Wrong)

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 30, 2019

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

- The inhaler system is a bit confusing. Using an inhaler will take one of the health restoring items, but any other consumables that gets put into the other open slots will also have their affect applied. Additionally, it does not appear to consume that item when used, only the health one. So if you have only one of a good consumable then slap it in your inhaler and vape your way to victory.

Wait what? This is amazing and NEVER EXPLAINED. Does that also give the buff to your companion with the relevant companion ability from the 20 or 40 pt skill?

Also how do you get more vape slots?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

- The inhaler system is a bit confusing. Using an inhaler will take one of the health restoring items, but any other consumables that gets put into the other open slots will also have their affect applied. Additionally, it does not appear to consume that item when used, only the health one. So if you have only one of a good consumable then slap it in your inhaler and vape your way to victory.

Incorrect. It will use all items in the slots.

If you use up an item, it will try to replace it with another with the same effects. So, like, an item with Carbohydrates as a descriptor will be replaced by another Carbohydrates item.

Arcturas posted:

Wait what? This is amazing and NEVER EXPLAINED. Does that also give the buff to your companion with the relevant companion ability from the 20 or 40 pt skill?

Also how do you get more vape slots?

New slots are added by raising your medicine skill.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Getting State of Decay YOSE. Was anything changed from the old version or new things get introduced I should know about?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Incorrect. It will use all items in the slots.

If you use up an item, it will try to replace it with another with the same effects. So, like, an item with Carbohydrates as a descriptor will be replaced by another Carbohydrates item.

New slots are added by raising your medicine skill.

Okay, I was using them like that and they didn't seem to be disappearing, I probably just didn't notice the game swapping in equivalent things.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to start the Resident Evil 2 remake and while there is a lot of good stuff on the wiki, I would like one thing cleared up: is there a "canon" route like Claire A/Leon B this time around? Does it matter what order I play them in?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Scalding Coffee posted:

Getting State of Decay YOSE. Was anything changed from the old version or new things get introduced I should know about?
Whoa, I want to know this too; I loved State of Decay, Lifeline was one of my favorite expansions to any game ever, and though Breakdown is not really my jam I can imagine being excited to give it all a shot again if enough new was added.

Maybe someday the sequel will be available on a service that does not make me sigh so hard that I lose interest in buying it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

anilEhilated posted:

I'm about to start the Resident Evil 2 remake and while there is a lot of good stuff on the wiki, I would like one thing cleared up: is there a "canon" route like Claire A/Leon B this time around? Does it matter what order I play them in?
Most people treat the series continuity as still being Claire A/Leon B, but I have no idea whether that's just a fan thing or if Capcom has actually an opinion on that.

Otherwise, the "canon" is sorta interchangeable in the same way that it was in RE2 Classic - the first run for one character and the second run for the other character fit together in terms of story sequence.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Most people treat the series continuity as still being Claire A/Leon B, but I have no idea whether that's just a fan thing or if Capcom has actually an opinion on that.

Otherwise, the "canon" is sorta interchangeable in the same way that it was in RE2 Classic - the first run for one character and the second run for the other character fit together in terms of story sequence.

It's been a while since I looked into it, but I think the semi-official stance is that neither Claire A/Leon B or Leon A/Claire B are completely canon. What happened in the overall plot of the series is a mix of the two that can't actually be done in game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's been a while since I looked into it, but I think the semi-official stance is that neither Claire A/Leon B or Leon A/Claire B are completely canon. What happened in the overall plot of the series is a mix of the two that can't actually be done in game.

Claire A/ Leon B is definitely canon, because Sherry's father infects her with the G-Virus in Claire A ONLY, and this is brought up in Resident Evil 6 as something that definitely occurred.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The canon could very well be changed if ReMake 3 comes out, as this is still the company that retcons so much of the old franchise. Retcom

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Claire A/ Leon B is definitely canon, because Sherry's father infects her with the G-Virus in Claire A ONLY, and this is brought up in Resident Evil 6 as something that definitely occurred.
That's true for classic RE2, anyway. RE wiki says that in the remake, Claire vaccinates her off-screen, but the infection still happens, so the canon is even more of a mixture, but I have absolutely no idea how they can even tell, so... :shrug:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How limited are trait points in Remnant: From the Ashes? Can I randomly sprinkle them on whatever looks nice at the time, or is it like Souls stats where I need to sit and carefully think about what kind of build I want to be heading towards?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Scalding Coffee posted:

Here you go, looks like just a bunch of tweaks. They fixed the graphics is the main thing, they were insanely shonky before even with high specs.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Omi no Kami posted:

How limited are trait points in Remnant: From the Ashes? Can I randomly sprinkle them on whatever looks nice at the time, or is it like Souls stats where I need to sit and carefully think about what kind of build I want to be heading towards?

XP needed to gain a level caps at 1,500, and each area has one or two skill books that instantly give you a level as well.

Throw points at whatever looks neat, but keep in mind that all traits cap at 20 so you'll eventually cap out your main things and start spreading out.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

XP needed to gain a level caps at 1,500, and each area has one or two skill books that instantly give you a level as well.

Throw points at whatever looks neat, but keep in mind that all traits cap at 20 so you'll eventually cap out your main things and start spreading out.

Awesome, that's a great balance- thanks! :)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Scalding Coffee posted:

Mods on the Nexus are hard split between YOSE compatible and OG release compatible.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Anything for Pathologic 2? I know it's very similar to the first game but I was wondering if there are any specific gotchas I should know about

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Here are some tips for Noita that explain the (currently very badly documented, but also really important) spellcrafting system a bit:

First, off, there are three kinds of effects: projectile modifiers, casting modifiers, and projectiles. Projectiles are things like Magic Missile. Casting modifiers affect how many spells are cast with a single click of the wand. Projectile modifiers give the next projectile spell that is cast a particular effect. These can be stacked.

What this means is that in order from left to right, all modifiers will be applied to the next projectile spell that is cast, and only to that spell. However, because "the next spell that is cast" can be a very loose definition when things like multicasts are involved, this means you could apply three modifiers to one cast of five spells that are cast all at once. Every single one of them will then, for example, have an effect that makes them bounce off walls, spread fire behind them, and electrify the first thing they hit. For your next cast, these effects will no longer happen.

Cast On Hit (the yellow star) is a possible kind of special effect that happens the first time a projectile hits a solid object that it cannot pass through or an enemy, whichever applies to the projectile in question. What this means is that it will automatically cast the first spell to its right at the location of the projectile at the moment the effect is triggered. If that spells is a Bomb, then it will dump a bomb at that location. If it's a quad-cast Black Hole, then it will automatically spread out Black Holes either based on ricochet calculations or on the specifics of the multicast effect. To those follow-up spells, projectile modifiers apply as usual, so you can have a Spark Shot (trigger) lead to Fire Trail and Electrified and then quad-cast Magic Arrows.

You can chain-link spells with triggers so that one cast will basically go down the entire chain every time the new spell hits something. This is possible to mix with multicasts as well, but I'm not quite sure how those behave yet.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Anything for Borderlands 3? Currently kinda disappointed with how low Fl4k's pet damage is, but maybe I'll just finish the game 1 time for the story only.

I haven't played BL2 & 1, and not having a 2-way TP to offload all my extra stuff is quite troublesome. And no auto pickup. Still very early in the game though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
If I'm going to play through Pillars of Eternity II only once, what character class should I be if I want to see the most stuff?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Fat Samurai posted:

If I'm going to play through Pillars of Eternity II only once, what character class should I be if I want to see the most stuff?

I don’t think class matters at all when it comes to missing anything. Personally I think one of the casting classes, mage and cipher specifically, come with the most toys to play with.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

neosloth posted:

Anything for Pathologic 2? I know it's very similar to the first game but I was wondering if there are any specific gotchas I should know about

If you dipped into the first one then you're pretty much set, it's more or less a remake of it. All the same survival tips apply still

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

If I recall correctly, Cipher gets the most class specific dialogue options. Its also the signature unique class of the series.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Crowetron posted:

If I recall correctly, Cipher gets the most class specific dialogue options. Its also the signature unique class of the series.

That was certainly true for 1, not sure about 2

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, 2 spreads it around a lot. Also, don't be afraid to play a combat class - they get plenty of tricks that set them apart from classic DnD fighters. Monk, for example, is one of the most fun classes in the game, with some really crazy abilities.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

This might be a tall order but anything for Disco Elysium and/or The Outer Worlds?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Crowetron posted:

This is true, see:

Mystic Stylez posted:

I did some research and unless they patched more things in after Dec/2018, it seems these are the number of times class specific conversation options show up on Deadfire:

I don't have the spreadsheet where I found it but if you do some light googling you will come up with it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Disco Elysium
There's not much to say for DE, there are no "trap" skills and no way to be "good" or "bad" at the game since there's no combat system. Make a character that sounds good to you and roll with it. The only difference between characters will be which dialogue choices they have to pick to finish the game.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Mystic Stylez posted:

This might be a tall order but anything for Disco Elysium and/or The Outer Worlds?

For Outer Worlds besides what's been said earlier on this page:

* There's an option under Game Options that's on by default that makes it so you see a weapon's base damage, turn that off so you can see weapon damage as it's affected by your skills and such
* In the journal section there's a codex that has a lot of valuable explanations in it, like how damage types work: kinetic isn't good against armor, shock is good for robots, plasma isn't good for mantisaurs but great for other things, corrosive is good for armor, although in my experience it seems to be good for everything, N-ray damage ignores armor and is basically poison that'll spread to other enemies but isn't good for inorganic enemies.
* The only game breaking glitch I've run into was fixed by loading an earlier save, a quest got messed up and wouldn't move to the next bit/dialogue options didn't update. The game autosaves a lot but it's a good idea to manually save every once in a while just in case
* Flaws get offered in certain contexts, they're optional, and you get a perk point for taking them, be aware of what the stipulations are, like if it's some conditional thing like "you're afraid of robots so these stats will be lowered" or if it's just a 24/7 debuff, like permanent concussion which takes your mind stats down 1 for the rest of the game and will reduce the points for the skills those attributes affect. Also the fear of robots flaw apparently applies if you're using the robot companion.
* Don't feel apprehensive about using mods on weapons and armor, yeah you don't get them back, but you get a LOT of mods in the game, you could easily play it safe and only use mods you have copies of and still have most of your gear modded out.
* Don't sell stuff to Vending machines, the merchant skill/faction bonus doesn't apply, vending machines can't haggle, so you'll lose money if you do this. Go for it if your over encumbered but just so you can move again, don't sell your whole stash.

That's about it, I think it'd be pretty hard to make a bad character for instance, and the way level ups work with skills leveling up multiple ones at a time up to 50 really helps too. Oh, you might wanna play on Hard instead of Normal, the game is pretty easy otherwise, and yeah, it'll be really hard for the first few hours but it doesn't take to long too balance out. That's probably been said and it's up to personal preference.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

Don't stress about how much time your actions take in Disco Elysium. It's not a big deal.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mystic Stylez posted:

Play Outer Worlds first!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

quote:

Also the fear of robots flaw apparently applies if you're using the robot companion.

Hahaha. Oops

Also note that weapon mods weigh .5 pounds each, so if you’re hoarding them that can add up quick. Don’t be shy about using or selling them if you don’t like them, you pick up loads

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

In Disco Elysium, you can heal during scenes when you take critical damage and would otherwise die. Simply click on the number above your health before it slowly drains away and you'll be fine.

You can pass time by reading books or sitting on the bench outside the hotel. You probably won't need to.

At some point you will have to pass a Shivers test to progress. There will be a lot you can do to shift it in your favour but bare it in mind.

You will at one point be asked to investigate 3 locations. You can only investigate one of them outside of the main game plot. The rest will trigger as you play.

You must get enough cash together to get your room situation sorted on days 1 and 2 at the very least, afterwards you have several options for lodging. Start worrying about it at like, 7PM. There are lots of ways to get the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hahaha. Oops

Also note that weapon mods weigh .5 pounds each, so if you’re hoarding them that can add up quick. Don’t be shy about using or selling them if you don’t like them, you pick up loads

In addition to this as far as I can tell while mods can be 'pristine' or whatever the gem icon indicates it doesn't affect the bonus they give, but they're worth more. That modifier is +value and +durability only, I believe.