Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My guess is they all want to be Plinkett

Like... a more loathsome version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Data Graham posted:

Nah everything has become a front in the culture war.

The fact is not helped by non alt righters fully participate in this egging them on.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Data Graham posted:

They even did a Plinkett review of TLJ and somehow those guys managed like 45 minutes of criticism without once crying about leftists stealing Star Wars

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

oldpainless posted:

It was a bad movie
True or not that is absolutely, positively not what drove these internet nerds insane.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I'd also maintain that the Plinkett TPM review was the inciting event for the insane number of dumpy NEET bloa-teed youtube "film critics" who think that knowing what A/B shot means is basically USC film school

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They even did a Plinkett review of TLJ and somehow those guys managed like 45 minutes of criticism without once crying about leftists stealing Star Wars

it helps that the RLM guys have a pretty decent grasp on film theory on top of being provincial nerdlingers

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

E: drat new page.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like these are the same people who obsessively follow the joker box office to prove how it owns the libs

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

I really do believe the purple hair played a major role in it.

Like, speaking as a moron who's occasionally a little bit too close to some of this, I admit that when I first saw that character's design, it was a bit of a shock.

Then I thought about it for like two seconds and was like "Oh right, they're in loving space, why is hair colour even a thing that could matter lol"

I'm not gonna listen to eleven loving hours of three uneducated morons chatting about it.

I've got a friend who used to drink the Yudkowsky kool-aid, hard. At one point I asked him what a good intro would be, because I wanted to actually engage with the bullshit he was spewing about Rationality and Reason and all the other thinky masculine tokens that never seem to coalesce into anything substantial when we were chatting. He admitted Yudkowsky had a problem with not shutting up, but the minimum to engage with his ideas was like "read these two books and this whole wiki of interminable blog posts" and lol nope not gonna bother with that.

A point raised in a recent Innuendo Studios video was that this poo poo doesn't actually make sense and a lot of the reason that it takes the form of these multi-hour rants is that if your point actually makes sense, you can usually explain it once and then it'll stick; if it doesn't, you have to repeat it endlessly, something YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord are all set up to helpfully accommodate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P55t6eryY3g

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

zoux posted:

We're.....we're about to start arguing about Star Wars aren't we

The arguments don't even really start until someone brings up whether the Starship Enterprise (pick one) could beat a Star Destroyer in a fight. :allears:

Rarer examples of the same phenomenon include pitting an X-Wing against a Colonial Viper, or even the Galactic Empire (from Star Wars) against the Galactic Empire (from Foundation).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

it's always a 5+ tweet bigoted rant in response to "actually I'm a she" or "could you not say that, it's a slur, say this"

It really is always an overreaction on the part of the bigot being reminded they're not the center of the universe.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I swear, neon hair to fash is like a red flag to a bull. All these great pillars of rationality and heroic pragmatism loving losing it over hair dye

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

As someone who's only a casual star wars fan (I've seen the movies and played the pod racing game that was on the N64), can someone explain to me what it was about the Last Jedi that drove all these nerds absolutely insane?
Even more than any of the specifics--it's hardly a flawless movie--TLJ was very clearly made to pass the torch from the old guard to the new and the "new" is Disney continuing the confirmation that they believe the merchandise markets of the future are no longer centered on pampered white suburban manchildren.

The main antagonist is a thinly veiled caricature of a "bad" Star Wars fan and the main protagonist is a slightly more subtle caricature of a "good" Star Wars fan, and the movie dunks on the antagonist for being an easily-roused brat every chance it gets.

It loving rules on that basis.

luxury handset posted:

it helps that the RLM guys have a pretty decent grasp on film theory on top of being provincial nerdlingers
Well, as long as they have a script. Their little off-the-cuff review shows are mealy-mouthed death marches of saying nothing in the longest possible amount of time. I honestly have trouble believing it's the same guys half the time.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Instead of posting homegrown have some of this.

Not that this needs background but have some anyway because it makes it worse. NSWPol have been making a lot of news lately for illegally strip searching minors. A lot of them. We're talking girls as young as 12 here.

So here's what they've decided to post.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

The arguments don't even really start until someone brings up whether the Starship Enterprise (pick one) could beat a Star Destroyer in a fight. :allears:

Rarer examples of the same phenomenon include pitting an X-Wing against a Colonial Viper, or even the Galactic Empire (from Star Wars) against the Galactic Empire (from Foundation).
You forgot Borg Cube vs. Death Star holy poo poo

Inceltown posted:

Not that this needs background but have some anyway because it makes it worse. NSWPol have been making a lot of news lately for illegally strip searching minors. A lot of them. We're talking girls as young as 12 here.

That is the flex of a bunch of thugs who know people ain't gonna do poo poo :ughh:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

I absolutely love Noel Fielding but I'm not sure I want to watch him on a baking show, I could see that being bad

My mom only knows him through the baking show and loves him

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The fact that such a bad movie has become some kind of faux woke centerpiece is kind of the bigger issue than whatever some lovely online nerds say

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

The fact that such a bad movie has become some kind of faux woke centerpiece is kind of the bigger issue than whatever some lovely online nerds say
:goonsay:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's only a centerpiece for people who hate it. It's a shibboleth for assholes. If you liked it or didn't like it you're fine, if you have a power point presentation about how terrible it was, you're a loving rear end in a top hat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It's only a centerpiece for people who hate it. It's a shibboleth for assholes. If you liked it or didn't like it you're fine, if you have a power point presentation about how terrible it was, you're a loving rear end in a top hat.

No I’ve seen people internalize it and engage the people that care way to much about a Star War movie on their level completely undermining themselves.

Though woke corps are only going to get worse as the money they can make from rubes increases

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

No I’ve seen people internalize it and engage the people that care way to much about a Star War movie on their level completely undermining themselves.

Though woke corps are only going to get worse as the money they can make from rubes increases

Post links (preferably IOSM links) or drop this please

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inceltown posted:

Aussie cops are OK by me

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well, at least we're in the right thread for dumb poo poo like this, so it has that going for it.

Which is nice.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

enigmahfc posted:

Well, at least we're in the right thread for dumb poo poo like this, so it has that going for it.

Which is nice.

What if acceptance, kindness, and representation, but... too much?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Aussie cops are OK by me

loving ACAB

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

Which is nice.

Oh cool home grown IOSM you don’t get to see it often but this topic is the perfect one to bring out the biggest believers in faux progressives

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

loving ACAB

Sometimes it can be ambiguous if someone is doing the normal OK or the racist one. Not here.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I choose to believe that Woke Corps is an actual, singular organization like Peace Corps, and it improves my reading of this comment.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh cool home grown IOSM you don’t get to see it often but this topic is the perfect one to bring out the biggest believers in faux progressives

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tired: Zombie
Wired: Woke Corpse

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The Woking Dead

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TLJ was lame but equally lame to every other Star War's movie

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

T-man posted:

if anyone ever disagrees with me they have to read my entire post history all the way from the simcity 4 lp i started in to wherever i posted last or their point is wrong

thousands of quality posts for ya bud

I get this a lot from the Jordan Peterson / Shapiro fan club at work.

" Oh, you think Ben Shapiro is wrong? Well have you listened and catalogued every single podcast he has ever done ? Well then you're taking his words out of context. I have shattered you with LOGIC".

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
folks if we don't engage critically with charlesthehammer and his fifteen hour video lecture that has approximately two hours of tired star wars is actually bad commentary in it (as well as a barely disguised fap session at hour 7) we're not being civil and we might push him toward extremism

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I get this a lot from the Jordan Peterson / Shapiro fan club at work.

" Oh, you think Ben Shapiro is wrong? Well have you listened and catalogued every single podcast he has ever done ? Well then you're taking his words out of context. I have shattered you with LOGIC".

Yeah, this is why I always ask how much of someone's work I need to engage with in order to discuss them, and if the answer is "all of it" then they're not really producing arguments, they're producing bad feelings

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

zoux posted:

Aussie cops are OK by me

They all look the same.

Sorry, something something Star Wars.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

zoux posted:

Aussie cops are OK by me

They're such friendly folks

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

mng posted:

They all look the same.

Sorry, something something Star Wars.

please don't say that it's very reverse racist against cops-americans

please nobody call me the b-slur for this post, i just think that our boys in blue deserve respect o7

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is there a non-racist reason to be flashing the ok sign at a camera?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/igd_news/status/1191837363481255937?s=21

Oh man

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That one sounds like it could be a mildly entertaining movie in 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

So LBJ is no longer the guy who pushed through the Great Society, but a basketball player?