Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ha, the store page still says "pre purchase, Warcraft 3 reforged edition releases on or before December 31st 2019". Seems somewhat unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

Ha, the store page still says "pre purchase, Warcraft 3 reforged edition releases on or before December 31st 2019". Seems somewhat unlikely.

I thought we were both getting a release date and a delay today. Surprisingly neither happened. They even teased a release with that anniversary talk.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I'm sure I'm not the first person to comment on the Paladin Portrait but what the hell am I looking at

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Direct comparisons:

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm sure I'm not the first person to comment on the Paladin Portrait but what the hell am I looking at

IDK what's up with the portraits, the actual 3D animated ones look mostly fine but the static 2D portraits used for players or hero icons look awful, like somebody did some weird photoshop pass on them and made them all look airbrushed

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Dread Lord status: dope
Everything else status: broke

Okay, maybe the blademaster is also dope. But he needs to up his lat & delt game to match the old one. And they made a weird art choice to make all the heads way smaller.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Direct comparisons:

IDK what's up with the portraits, the actual 3D animated ones look mostly fine but the static 2D portraits used for players or hero icons look awful, like somebody did some weird photoshop pass on them and made them all look airbrushed

Uther just needs those neck guards removed. It makes his head look smaller than it is

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I think the new, hyper derailed models look so weird against the maps/flora designs largely looking too similar

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I look forward to playing the half assed release on December 31 11:59 pm pacific time when it comes out.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Undead and nelfs will be paid dlc in Q2 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Dreadlord, more like Fatlard

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Apparently they've scrapped some, if not all, of the Reforged campaign features - such as redoing the in-engine cutscenes (look at the Culling demo on Youtube to see what I mean), the revised lore, and rerecording the voice work?

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 3, 2019

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

loving good. A lot of the camera angles from the original game were extremely well-framed. DoubleNegative's LP showed my favorite one:

Arthas, on that hill, in shadow, in the pouring rain, framed against that stormy sky, far away from his mentor and best friend?

Holy gently caress. I was so hype to see it when I got my hands on the demo at last Blizzcon, and then:

No rain, no shadow, no emphasis on distance or framing. Just a slow zoom-in of Arthas's face with some sick peasants in the background. :geno:

Kith fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 3, 2019

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I get the sentiment that the original may have some better shots, but the reality was they sold us a game that was going to have "4+ hours of in-game cinematics."

The reality is that Warcraft 3: Reforged just became Warcraft 3: Reskinned, and I'm not even convinced I like the new skins.

I guess what is harder to tell is whether people actually wanted #nochanges (Super doubtful given the original still exists, unlike WoW Classic) or whether they saw that as a convenient excuse to ship a game that is basically just the outsourced models now.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, I was looking forward to the updates. I can still play original WC3 whenever and while I'd miss the original voices, it would've been neat to compare the two.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The new models are pretty looking on their own merits however I can't help but feel a certain chunkiness and weight has been lost, particularly on the Grunt. It looks like an Orc that has been working out to look good for his modelling shoot rather than a tough as nails melee fighter.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I want a patch to make the original loving game playable again. According to Blizzard's forums, I'm not the only one with this problem and there is no fix for it.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I checked the dropdown on my client and I have access to the beta even though I pre ordered the cheaper option. Feels super rough. Barely any animations in the menus. Even the options page feels janky. The game keeps crashing as soon as I place the first building.

I know they have a date up there but I kind of wish they would just delay the game. I don't see how this is going to be ready in time with all the feedback coming in. The new models look cool but need a lot more color and contrast.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

DrBox posted:

I checked the dropdown on my client and I have access to the beta even though I pre ordered the cheaper option. Feels super rough. Barely any animations in the menus. Even the options page feels janky. The game keeps crashing as soon as I place the first building.

I know they have a date up there but I kind of wish they would just delay the game. I don't see how this is going to be ready in time with all the feedback coming in. The new models look cool but need a lot more color and contrast.

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

Undead and nelfs will be paid dlc in Q2 2020

They will be $20 each, but to make up for the wait everyone who pre-purchases either expansion will receive 5 Phat Lewtboxes™ free!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Big Mad Drongo posted:

They will be $20 each, but to make up for the wait everyone who pre-purchases either expansion will receive 5 Phat Lewtboxes™ free****!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Please
They're called Legendary Warchests

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, curious what your peoples' take is on this.

Person on youtube with hacked reforged beta makes videos showing various campaign and custom maps. Extracts a single map file from one such custom campaign for that purpose. To show what it looks like in Reforged.

Mapmaker sees this and is *furious*. At first it's unclear whether he just hates Reforged, or if he thinks the guy is claiming he made the map or something. Turns out extracting the single map from the campaign triggers the "You edited my content and published it and I am not okay with it" response.

Personally, I feel that flipping out over someone just taking a single mapfile out of a campaign to record a video of playing it is silly and frankly unreasonable; he didn't touch the map itself. But what are your takes on this?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Person on youtube with hacked reforged beta makes videos showing various campaign and custom maps. Extracts a single map file from one such custom campaign for that purpose. To show what it looks like in Reforged.

Mapmaker sees this and is *furious*. At first it's unclear whether he just hates Reforged, or if he thinks the guy is claiming he made the map or something. Turns out extracting the single map from the campaign triggers the "You edited my content and published it and I am not okay with it" response.

Personally, I feel that flipping out over someone just taking a single mapfile out of a campaign to record a video of playing it is silly and frankly unreasonable; he didn't touch the map itself. But what are your takes on this?

Its okay when I mod blizzard's game, but it is not okay for you to mod my mod!!!

IDK yeah that seems unreasonable. Like, I would get if you took one of his maps out of the campaign and included it in your own campaign, that'd be dirty. But just using it as a test map for a video :v:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
WC3 map creators get very protective. See, for instance, all the old map encryption software. This is, on some level, understandable given the way maps were sometimes redistributed with no changes except author names. But it's all very silly given these are mods of mods as Zaphod mentions. Granted I'm a copyright abolitionist so.

Some of the more ambitious maps were impossible to open in (unmodified) World Edit anyway because they wouldn't open not due to encryption, but due to some custom script bullshit that was written with external tools.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My favorite thing is that the map maker is mad someone... played his map? Like the guy apparently didnt edit it, he just played a map from the campaign?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

On one hand the map maker guy is a psycho but on the other hand the YouTube guy is a YouTube guy.

Verdict: death to both parties.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
All I want from Reforged is:
1. Performance that isn't worse than the original game
2. A Battlenet tab like SC2's, completely different from WC3's garbage battlenet

It is incredible that Blizzard is struggling to just release a functioning game. I think it'd be fine if they delay it to finish it. However I think it's more likely they'll say "UH SURPRISE IT'S FINISHED" and release it a week after announcing the date (or without even announcing a date first) so that they can rake in enough money to actually finish it next year.

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

bnet 2.0 is awful, what are you on about

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
They are already talking about ladder coming in a post release patch. I think we'll get the bare bones on Dec 31 and see lots of updates in the first few months of 2020

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting: When Blizzard said they would not be re-recording old dialogue, that doesn't mean anything about not recording NEW audio. While it's unlikely for existing characters to get any new lines that weren't recorded (whether they were used or not) for the original game, new characters being added in the Reforged Campaign, such as Anasterian, may in fact get some dialogue. After all, they had to record new unit quotes for stuff like the Female Death Knight skin.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Is there a specific place they want feedback on features? I'd really like a countdown before the match starts after the map loads. The load times are super inconsistent and then all of the sudden you are thrown in without warning.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
There are official forums for Reforged. Not sure if you need Beta access to post there. You probably do. But then, if you've pre-ordered it, you quite likely have Beta access by now. Or will soon.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Played three games of this. I say "games" when in actuality each time it crashed halfway through a combat so... Beta!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

This is totally gonna be done by December.

Seriously though, what the hell has stopped blizzard from owning up that this is way tougher than expected and that it won't be out on time? It's so patently obvious that's the case there's no reason to hide it now.

Unless the suits are going to force it to release come hell or high water, because there is no way spending more than projected on development could increase revenue overall.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FoolyCharged posted:

This is totally gonna be done by December.

Seriously though, what the hell has stopped blizzard from owning up that this is way tougher than expected and that it won't be out on time? It's so patently obvious that's the case there's no reason to hide it now.

Unless the suits are going to force it to release come hell or high water, because there is no way spending more than projected on development could increase revenue overall.

Honestly I hope they either finish the loving thing, or cancel it and refund everyone's money. But I definitely don't want them to drop a half-done game and release dozens of patches trying to fix it later

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

It's fine, it's a remake so that means it's done as soon as all the art is done since all they gotta do is put the assets where they were before and just copy/paste the code. They'll have it done in no time.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Honestly I hope they either finish the loving thing, or cancel it and refund everyone's money. But I definitely don't want them to drop a half-done game and release dozens of patches trying to fix it later

This very much appears to be the strategy they're taking.

Even if the game had a fully formed multiplayer ready to go now, it would still be lacking roughly half the content they promised when preorders were made availible.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The people that estimated and were going to do Reforged were laid off probably.

The two interns and one artist remaining on the project are trying their best.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Gildiss posted:

The people that estimated and were going to do Reforged were laid off probably.

The two interns and one artist remaining on the project are trying their best.

I really think something like this happened. There just wasn’t any progress on the project for a long time and higher ups only recently realized they had given an end of year deadline. There must have been some breakdown in communication in the company and stuff like that is usually caused by people leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Much of WC3 was outsourced anyway. It's always been a relatively small project as Blizzard's actual staff and resouces are concerned.

I personally don't think the updated character models fit into the world of WC3 at all. They're too clay-sculpted and the textures too realistic. It clashes real hard with the flat terrain and otherwise simplistic map geometry.

When I first saw some of the beta character portraits I thought "These look like the models on early 2000's graphics card boxart".