Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Carth Dookie posted:

The other then remarks that he just bought a Panigale and had resigned himself to losing his licence.

To be fair, given the way speed limits are enforced in Victoria that's not exactly a sign of a particularly devil-may-care attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

gently caress that bike, gently caress that guy, gently caress this town.

Which town? Just so I don’t move there accidentally.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HEY MATE I JUST PUSHED MY BIKE UP YOUR DRIVEWAY AT 8PM CANT GET IT GOING AYE IVE TRIED EEEEVERYTHING BUT IT JUST WONT START AYE?!?!?! *solemn* I think it might be the spark plug!

Bike turns on won't crank.
Remove seat.
Inspect battery terminals.
Remove security pass-card clip securing negative terminal, replace with 10mm screw.
Bike starts ok.

Smoke like a thousand bongs.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

How much did you charge?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 2, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's my neighbour :negative:

His other big achievement:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is that oil or gas? Either way :magical:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oil. He thought it needed oil for indeterminate reasons, bought a 4l can, put the whole thing in.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I know you mean he overfilled the oil filler but I'm still picturing him removing the fuel tank and pouring out a gallon of 10W40 directly into the airbox

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
K&N filter, bruh! Gotta keep it oiled!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
How many children does he have

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

How many children does he have

Either three or zero I have a hard time keeping track of which urchin goes where.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Slavvy posted:

Oil. He thought it needed oil for indeterminate reasons, bought a 4l can, put the whole thing in.

Pretend i just keyboard mashed for about 12000 characters here

How do people like this survive past age 23

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

Pretend i just keyboard mashed for about 12000 characters here

How do people like this survive past age 23

Vaccines and a lack of predators. Plus, they usually have a shitload of kids so when something does kill them they've already pissed in the gene pool

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 3, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

He's my neighbour :negative:

His other big achievement:

I would have looked him dead in the eye and said, "yeah I'm sorry but this is definitely going on the internet."

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
EICMA is a little underwhelming this year. I guess there is a pirate-themed CBR, but it just shows that all liter bikes are approaching the R1 singularity where they look exactly like the R1.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mirconium posted:

EICMA is a little underwhelming this year. I guess there is a pirate-themed CBR, but it just shows that all liter bikes are approaching the R1 singularity where they look exactly like the R1.

Jensen Beeler was slobbering over the new Husky adv concept. It’s definitely nice looking and I wouldn’t kick it out if my garage but it’s hard to get all that excited about another nerdventure concept. And I’m someone who fully believes we need more adv-ish bikes from more mfgers.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I can't get excited about concepts, maybe what, 5% of them actually make it into any kind of production? Lots of cool concepts, but we can never have them. =/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HEY MATE I SEE YOU GOT MY BIKE GOING ALL GOOD AND-what? No I've never lubed the chain what do you mean it's completely hosed? And those fork seals weren't leaking before you rode it!!!

:fuckoff:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Mirconium posted:

The Aprilia 660 twins, 890 Duke R, and Ninja 1000 (cruise control!) are all cool and exciting imo

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Yeah, the Aprilia I'm pretty happy about

That Duke is just the 790 getting Euro 5'd though, I suspect they will be pretty much mirrors of each other other otherwise.

Edit: 690->790

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 6, 2019

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mirconium posted:

I can't get excited about concepts, maybe what, 5% of them actually make it into any kind of production? Lots of cool concepts, but we can never have them. =/

Can’t really ding Husky in that department but in general, yeah. Honda CB4X concept looks amazing but it could never happen

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Mirconium posted:

That Duke is just the 690 getting Euro 5'd though, I suspect they will be pretty much mirrors of each other other otherwise.

well what does that make the 790 Duke? :confused:

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Err, 790, sorry, typo.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

M/V Rush looks like cancerous rear end

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

HEY MATE I SEE YOU GOT MY BIKE GOING ALL GOOD AND-what? No I've never lubed the chain what do you mean it's completely hosed? And those fork seals weren't leaking before you rode it!!!

:fuckoff:
Had a guy once with a Multistrada S or something like that, he removed the chain guard because he thought it was ugly. It would have thrown chain lube in annoying places, except he never lubed the chain. He didn't get the legally required inspection stickers because he thought the stickers were ugly. I agreed to owe him a free oil change because his bike got "dirty" after I worked on it because after I fixed a brake issue I test rode it on a road which was wet because it had rained earlier in the day.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

... after I worked on it because after I fixed a brake issue ...

Soft rear brake pedal?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Aghhhhhhh came so close to dropping my bike for the first time ever, and it was the stupidest, me being my usual dipshit self, reason.

Finally got motivated to do a full clean+oil of the chain as it's been a couple months of anything but just lubing it here and there. Had it up on the rear wheel stand, did my thing, then as I was rolling it off the stand and starting to lean it on over to it's usual resting position I looked down and had a moment of panic as my dumb rear end finally remembered I'd put the sidestand up while I was cleaning. Thankfully it wasn't leaning too much before the neurons finally fired, and I was able to yank it back in balance, but it was an inch or two away from inertia taking over and my scrawny rear end not being able to save it from going down for a nap.

I would have been so pissed at myself to have made it through two bikes, the first one as a total beginner and never having dropped either, only to scrape it up with a bonehead move like that. I'm obsessive about not having any bike I own going sideways, and knowing how I am, I usually double and triple check stuff like this.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

So I'm ashamed of how few miles I could ride this bike in the Missouri mountains before having to stop and get some sleep. Only about 5 hours of riding. I'm sitting in a hotel I shouldn't be taking a rest in. This bike is amazing compared to the one I just laid to rest, but between the wind buffeting and the unfamiliar ride position, I'm working muscles I never knew I needed to. I'm supposed to be enjoying the beautiful scenery and the gorgeous weather, dammit, not white knuckling the grips because I've never ridden in windy mountain roads before on a bike that I actually have to pay attention to because the wind will flop me to and fro. I'm from the wide, flat land of the Mississippi delta valley. I can ride days of flat boring landscape. That's what's I'm used to. This land is tearjerkingly beautiful and I can't enjoy it because I'm just learning these basic skills that I've never had previously. gently caress lovely cruisers. I'm not going to make that mistake ever loving again.

e: sorry if it wasn't clear, previous bike for years was a cruiser, present bike is not

Mushika fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 10, 2019

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mushika posted:

So I'm ashamed of how few miles I could ride this bike in the Missouri mountains before having to stop and get some sleep. Only about 5 hours of riding. I'm sitting in a hotel I shouldn't be taking a rest in. This bike is amazing compared to the one I just laid to rest, but between the wind buffeting and the unfamiliar ride position, I'm working muscles I never knew I needed to. I'm supposed to be enjoying the beautiful scenery and the gorgeous weather, dammit, not white knuckling the grips because I've never ridden in windy mountain roads before on a bike that I actually have to pay attention to because the wind will flop me to and fro. I'm from the wide, flat land of the Mississippi delta valley. I can ride days of flat boring landscape. That's what's I'm used to. This land is tearjerkingly beautiful and I can't enjoy it because I'm just learning these basic skills that I've never had previously. gently caress lovely cruisers. I'm not going to make that mistake ever loving again.

e: sorry if it wasn't clear, previous bike for years was a cruiser, present bike is not

Hey buddy, don’t be so hard on yourself. I remember the first time I tried to ride any serious distance I made it about three hours before I pulled off in a grocery store parking lot and cried because my body hurt and I was scared about what I’d gotten myself into. I napped in the grass, reset my expectations, and finished the trip at a slower pace. Take it easy on yourself and don’t push your body or your brain too hard. There will be a lot of good riding in the future.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I too am taking small steps, just went out for my 2nd ride, felt way less nervous. I want to eventually be able to commute 35-ish miles to work, but I am definitely not ready yet.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cruisers are comfortable and let you ride for days is what I’m hearing.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Mushika posted:

Maybe take some remedial classes to get more confident riding a bike designed to go around corners?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Maybe man up, Nancy

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

ought ten posted:

Hey buddy, don’t be so hard on yourself. I remember the first time I tried to ride any serious distance I made it about three hours before I pulled off in a grocery store parking lot and cried because my body hurt and I was scared about what I’d gotten myself into. I napped in the grass, reset my expectations, and finished the trip at a slower pace. Take it easy on yourself and don’t push your body or your brain too hard. There will be a lot of good riding in the future.

Thanks, but I am used to riding long distances. Straight, flat, easy distances. This ride is teaching me exactly how much I don't know, and I don't know if my lovely skills are the fault of my not pushing myself to learn them, or if riding a such a limited bike for so long prevented me from learning them. Or both. Today was actually really good. I'm exhausted and sore, but it feels good. I was able to pound out about 7 hours today of actual fun riding, comfortable enough now to actually push the bike a little and see what it (and I) can handle safely while finally being able to enjoy this beautiful area.

nsaP posted:

Maybe man up, Nancy

Maybe I'm womaning up and actually learning something and doing something about it rather than being a dullard rear end in a top hat with nothing to contribute.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Carth Dookie posted:

Maybe take some remedial classes to get more confident riding a bike designed to go around corners?

This is a great suggestion, and it has been a long, long time since I took the basic MSF course, but I don't think there is an MSF advanced course offered anywhere near me. It wouldn't hurt to take the basic one again and perhaps ask for some more specific pointers, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mushika posted:

Maybe I'm womaning up and actually learning something and doing something about it rather than being a dullard rear end in a top hat with nothing to contribute.

You have your CA nsap merit badge now, congrats and goonspeed!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I shouldn’t even be here anymore tbh I’m probably trading my bike for a raft this spring. Anyone interested in starting a paddle asylum??

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Future Nsap:
"if you can't do a J-stroke why are you even on the water. You should just give up and drown."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
ncraP