Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

CannonFodder posted:

Well I just learned a new word today.

I offer my most enthusiastic contrafibularities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Sausage!?!?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
is there a greatest hits of line graphs in particular? I want to use some for a class. I'm definitely including the original Florida stand your ground one.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

morallyobjected posted:

is there a greatest hits of line graphs in particular? I want to use some for a class. I'm definitely including the original Florida stand your ground one.

specifically bad ones, or line graphs in general?

if the former, big fan of the National Review's since deleted "the only climate change graph you'll ever need"

the stand your ground chart was based off of the o.g. "iraq's bloody toll" which i think is an interesting counterpoint because the figure/ground stuff works much better for it than in the florida chart

Tree Goat has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Nov 5, 2019

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Such a classic. I like the leap from "only need two points to draw a straight line" to "only need two points to draw a curve".

Edit: in addition to the heavy cherry picking going on, of course.

jjack229 has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Nov 5, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

jjack229 posted:

Such a classic. I like the leap from "only need two points to draw a straight line" to "only need two points to draw a curve".

Edit: in addition to the heavy cherry picking going on, of course.

Please do not mock the :laffo: curve

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

morallyobjected posted:

it might have been a bar chart but gunchart.jpg is a classic

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I still have to stop and stare at that graph every time. It just is so ridiculous.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

morallyobjected posted:

Pretend I went to the effort of cropping this properly:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone actually seen the article that is from? For all I know, it could be saying the reality doesn't mach the tax revenue predicted by the model and showing this graph.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone actually seen the article that is from? For all I know, it could be saying the reality doesn't mach the tax revenue predicted by the model and showing this graph.

I don't know what article that specific graph is from so yeah it might be aiming to debunk it, but the concept depicted is one that a lot of "experts" take seriously.

Experts in quotes there because it's peak Reaganomics where they're starting from a conclusion ("high taxes are bad") and working backwards to create the data to support it. Nobody who actually understands economics takes it seriously.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Even the concept of the Laffer curve is a big "citation needed". It's just the idea that at a 0% tax rate, you'll get 0 tax revenue, and at a 100% tax rate, nobody will bother to work, so there will still be 0 tax revenue. People draw whatever shapes they want in between. The idea that people would just sit around if they didn't have a direct profit incentive (or, in the case of the graph shown earlier, if corporations didn't have a direct profit incentive) seems very dubious to me. Give me a living stipend and something interesting and meaningful to do, I'll work extra hard if I like what I'm doing regardless of whether it directly benefits me.

Karia has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Nov 6, 2019

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I'm pretty sure that chart was from The Economist, so no, they thought they were dropping truth bombs.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Well, it mentioned the American Enterprise Institute as a source.

'Nuff said.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Any model that doesn’t fit the data as well as a simple linear regression is garbage.

Also, Karia, your avatar is hypnotic.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

https://twitter.com/bsblcardvandals/status/1191418883334238212

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
This is one of my favourite Twitter accounts:

https://twitter.com/amazing_graphs/status/1191423274699411456

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

foobardog posted:

I'm pretty sure that chart was from The Economist, so no, they thought they were dropping truth bombs.

It doesn't fit their style, the Economist will always have a little red rectangle in there.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Count Roland posted:

It doesn't fit their style, the Economist will always have a little red rectangle in there.

it's from the wsj https://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/2007/07/a_laughable_laffer_curve_from.php

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is funny and it's not exactly a scientific study, but at the same time I find it to be deeply disturbing. These are people with serious potential health issues. I kind of want to see the stats for 2019.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phlegmish posted:

This is funny and it's not exactly a scientific study, but at the same time I find it to be deeply disturbing. These are people with serious potential health issues. I kind of want to see the stats for 2019.

It’s unlikely to be the same people.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

It’s unlikely to be the same people.

It also doesn't show magnitude. I'm sure the conference has grown, so it's possible they sold the exact same number of Medium shirts both years but are selling like 10x the shirts overall.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Weirdly, 101 is narrower than 111 in Helvetica according to that. And I guess kerning multiple of the same number makes it such that 497 is wider than 999 and such. Neat.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Phlegmish posted:

you are aware that obesity keeps going up in developed countries, right? it's not that notable of a chart

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/zebulgar/status/1192198379859636225

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If that's what 20% of a house looks like, I can't imagine what a whole house looks like.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ariong posted:

If that's what 20% of a house looks like, I can't imagine what a whole house looks like.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That's not a house, that's an entire swarm of hice!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Eessh, get some chemo on that thing, that can't be healthy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ariong posted:

actually its a house king

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think that's called a mansion

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Ariong posted:

I've been calling them heeces this whole time...

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Jesus In A Can posted:

I've been calling them heeces this whole time...

Weirdly enough it's actually "hodes"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Hausen”, please.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ariong posted:

It's five times taller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I thought it was "hooses".