Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Sliced the bottom of my toe off last week so I've been taking a break until it healed. Reluctantly started back up again today and made myself do a bunch of planks to make up lost time. Big mistake but i needed a good cry.

Also, i think they added a vibration sensitivity setting and you can turn it to high so you can feel the joycons vibrating while doing off screen exercises, the vibrating signals how long you hold.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Today was a day of bad decisions:
Raise difficulty by one
Decide to ace leg gym
Discover the next track is all squats
Realize I need to do wide squats for the enemies

I have no legs anymore, halp.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Saxophone posted:

I'm 37 and just had a kid and that whole "uh, huh, I kinda want to be around to see this kid graduate and get married and do life things" thing. I'm definitely in the obese category, but my job is very physical just not particularly cardio-y. So I'm really strong, just fat-strong and winded easily.

Quick question though, I keep hearing about squats. My knees aren't great, how hard is this game on them? I know not as hard as continuing to be 300 pounds is gonna be on them, but still, I want to lose some weight before I start doing anything to stressing on myself.

Also, I'm about ten years your junior but in the same weight class. I also have some knee issues due to a small injury way back, and while there are a lot of squats in this game you are only doing body weight stuff so it shouldn't be too strenuous. Of course it's hard to say what is too much for you.
As far as I know the game has decent accessibility options though, and you could also see a doctor or maybe a physical therapist and ask them.

Gluteus Maximus
Oct 20, 2007

OH LAWD, HE COMIN'
TO TOWN

organburner posted:

Today was a day of bad decisions:
Raise difficulty by one
Decide to ace leg gym
Discover the next track is all squats
Realize I need to do wide squats for the enemies

I have no legs anymore, halp.

You know what's also a bad decision?

Wearing a weighted vest.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
my 4yo hangs on me while i do squats now. thanks, kiddo. he also loves playing this game in general!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Gluteus Maximus posted:

You know what's also a bad decision?

Wearing a weighted vest.

Sir, that's my actual fat body, not a vest.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

40 active minutes, jesus. I can barely do 20 total. In fact I’m skipping today because my commute is packed and lovely and an hour long and it’s mostly standing and walking.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

my ankles hurt. probably because i run stupid. are folks playing this barefoot or in sneakers or what?

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I don't know man. First it was the butt, then calves, but now my ankles are screaming bloody loving murder as well. I guess as with Listerine, the hurt means its working?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Lazy_Liberal posted:

my ankles hurt. probably because i run stupid. are folks playing this barefoot or in sneakers or what?

I've been playing on a yoga mat in socks

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i haven't played in the last two days cause I had been attempting to do a 7 day fast and was feeling more and more out of it on day 4 and 5. I'm eating again so I'll probably restart tonight. I dunno if it was the fasting or if the game setting is just too easy for me, but last time I played I barely got to moderate intensity exercise despite doing a 30 minute session. I'm p sure I'm on difficulty 20 or higher, but maybe I need to set the difficulty even higher...

or maybe I need to do more of the exercises that kill me, like squats, wide squats, and planks

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

i get to the stage where im having to pause momentary between reps unable to force another inch out and my legs are burning (with typical lactic acid soreness) and im sweating and breathing a bit intensely but my heart rate never goes above 65%. im either disproportionately cardiovascularly fit or the game is giving me advance warning of a heart disorder

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

That happens to me too, and i just assume my thumb is too fat for a proper read.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The game puts a good strain on me sometimes, usually in the longer "vehicle sections" (not canoeing) because i have like 2% muscle mass in my arms. And my first chair pose had me shaking uncontrollably afterwards, but i made it through.

Now I got planking though, and... that doesn't seem healthy. The first time i pushed up, i just felt an excruciating burning pain in my lower back that made me reflexively collapse. Nothing like the muscle strain that all other exercises in this game put on me so far, just a red hot glowing knife straight to the spine. I tried two more times with the same result before i gave up and got out of the rest of the exercise by joycon waggling, since i didn't find a way to abort it.
This one will go straight on the "never use again" pile, sadly. I say "pile" but it's really only that one so far. I'd like to use it, but feeling like Batman after he met Bane with just 1 repetition is not gonna work out.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have been having a tough time getting into a regular exercise routine (apart from going to yoga class every Friday night) and I must say that this game has been very helpful for exactly that. I have to stop myself after a half hour though so I don’t push myself too much, but the RPG elements make me want to keep going!! I’m relatively healthy so the game hasn’t been too difficult, in fact I think I’m going to increase the difficulty because the battles are too easy. I also find that my RPG efficiency brain is making the battles kind of boring because I pretty much only stick to the most effective attacks so most of my battles right now (world 5 I think?) consist of a lot of Bow Pulls and Planks. My favorite is the Knee Lifts though because it’s basically skanking and all of my years of going to punk/ska shows have prepared me to excel at it.

My only question is, is there a way to jump higher? Do I just have to squeeze the ring really hard? I find that there are a lot of secret paths in levels that I just can’t jump high enough to reach, I just jump headfirst into the higher path lol

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Xad posted:

I've been playing on a yoga mat in socks

gonna try out the yoga pad then! thanks.

also wow wide squats

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My only question is, is there a way to jump higher? Do I just have to squeeze the ring really hard? I find that there are a lot of secret paths in levels that I just can’t jump high enough to reach, I just jump headfirst into the higher path lol

My guess for now is it will be a clothing set, but I have not gotten around to finding out either way.

In world 6 now and things have gotten a little more cardio running simulation, which I'm happy for. I've been busting a sweat way more easily between all the wide squats, overhead squats, and the level silent running.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
For me there was one where Ring explicitly said "looks like we can't jump that high yet" or something along those lines, so I think it's definitely a power.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

That power may be the reason several earlier worlds still have locked side quests, even when you get as far as world 8.

There are clothing sets for faster jogging and easier knee lifts. They are separate sets.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Folks who have been playing consistently since launch - have you noticed any loss in weight or inches?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Tesh posted:

Folks who have been playing consistently since launch - have you noticed any loss in weight or inches?

I got this a week after launch and play for around 20 minutes of active time per day (Though sometimes shorter or easier levels) and I'm noticing a difference with my belt. I haven't stepped on the scales though, I'll need to start doing that though I still need more time to get good data on that.

But eating right is also important if you are aiming for weight loss.

My mobility has definitely increased .

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

organburner posted:

But eating right is also important if you are aiming for weight loss.
This is my problem. I don't mind going to the gym or doing Ring Fit every day but it can only help so much when I stuff myself full of cookies afterward and have sugary cereal for two out of three meals a day.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remember that at certain points the buildup of dense muscle while burning fat will make it seem like the pounds aren't coming off, definitely focus on any improved mood or mobility as positive effects!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alternate option for helping mood. Try hormones. But that only applies in certain cases. :gaysper:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Tesh posted:

My arms are noticeably firmer, and my boobs are slowly morphing into a chest from constant ring presses. I've been losing weight steadily without ring fit but wasn't doing the work to tighten up my skin. I took a before picture and I'm hoping in a couple months it'll look dramatically different, but I can already see some changes.

Also i love to eat late at night, and so my new cheat food has been hard Cheddar cheese. Satiates that need to chew, and is literally nothing calorie wise. I swear i poop better the next day too.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 7, 2019

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

my mood and sleeping have deffo improved which i didn't even think about when i started 17 days ago.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Welp. My sleep got worse and, consequently, my mood also did

(only like 11 or 12 days tho)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No change. Not surprising.

I dunno if the core gameplay and the ancillary RPGness of the game is enough to capture my attention. I’m not exactly itching to play. There’s not much of a draw to it outside of “you might lose some weight and feel better”.

Does the game change meaningfully/get more interesting as you continue?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

it's fun to scream at bosses while you wide squat. if that's not appealing, perhaps just dance would be a good option for home cardio.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I trade off on days with this and an elliptical. I use the elliptical mainly to keep my heart rate up, this game has way too many pauses and breaks for that. But this is working my arms harder then I expected.

Also, the person who invented the mountain climber exercise should be sent to the Hague.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

Also i love to eat late at night, and so my new cheat food has been hard Cheddar cheese. Satiates that need to chew, and is literally nothing calorie wise.

Is that right?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Det_no posted:

Is that right?

Cheese is pretty calorie dense and filling, and most of the calories are from protein, but its still 110 cal/oz.

I get Tillamook cheese slices from Costco, they have a 50 pack of .8oz slices that I bring to work. They do a surprisingly good job of making me less hungry as a midmorning snack.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i'd like it if most of the starting exercises weren't "just fuckin destroy your legs"

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

Cheese is pretty calorie dense and filling, and most of the calories are from protein, but its still 110 cal/oz.

I get Tillamook cheese slices from Costco, they have a 50 pack of .8oz slices that I bring to work. They do a surprisingly good job of making me less hungry as a midmorning snack.

That's interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind, thanks goons.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
almonds are a much better calorie dense food to munch a couple of to help sate hunger vs cheese

are you guys really recommending cheese? I shouldn't even recommend almonds.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Peanuts* and almonds and other nuts are excellent snacks. I also like to eat trail mix. A lot of companies now make protein granola bars, I eat the nature valley ones a lot they’re good.

*yes I know peanuts are legumes and not nuts

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The Walrus posted:

almonds are a much better calorie dense food to munch a couple of to help sate hunger vs cheese

are you guys really recommending cheese? I shouldn't even recommend almonds.

I'll say i would eat nuts but I'm allergic, so i do cheese.

I've had cheese for a late night snack for the last 4 months and I've lost 60+ pounds doing so. Not saying it's for everyone, i know lactose and other things, but for me, i feel better the next day when i get my cheese.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

UPDATE:

I can tighten my belt another notch since I started.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
That's fantastic! Congrats!!

I usually do ringfit in the evening, but I'm usually awake pretty early just goofing off on my phone so this week I decided to swap that out for a morning session of ringfit.
It ends up being ~15 minutes of activity, but I feel good about getting that extra time in

Also woOOogh World 8 put me through the wringer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bushisms.txt posted:

I'll say i would eat nuts but I'm allergic, so i do cheese.

I've had cheese for a late night snack for the last 4 months and I've lost 60+ pounds doing so. Not saying it's for everyone, i know lactose and other things, but for me, i feel better the next day when i get my cheese.

I mean yeah, cheese is great in moderation, and obviously really good, and if it's better than whatever you were eating for a midnight snack before then it's great! But it's really easy to overconsume - an actual serving size is like a one inch square cube.

Between this game and Pistol Whip in VR my legs are officially hosed at the moment. I can't go up stairs without wincing.