Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

This is saddest I've been about deadspin dying yet

By marriage yeah.

Bill being completely in aw of Kyle for smoking a lot and having a tinder profile is one of the funniest reoccurring bits on the podcast

Every anecdote Bill shares about his son reminds me of the subplot in Anchorman about Fred Willard's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
David Roth is on the new Chapo Trap House if you're interested in hearing more about Deadspin, but skip the first 17 minutes or so if you're not interested in hearing an extended riff about Liz Warren and Neon Genesis Evangelion

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
lol at Big Structural Bailey causing second impact

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1191589579779977216

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
TBH i wouldn't be surprised if Vice Sports got restarted by almost exclusively ex-Deadspinners, Roth was a high-ranking editor there before moving to Deadspin. But holy shiiiiiiittt there's no stability for online feature writers anymore, I'm probably going to go back to educational publishing and content marketing. loving capitalists!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
If Deadspinners end up restarting Vice Sports it'll actually get me to visit Vice.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I wouldn't count on Vice investing money in something

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1126291961663643648?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

wait "nephew kyle" is his actual nephew??????

Cousin Sal is in fact not his cousin however

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Paul Maidment resigned.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

lmao

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1191758701897691136?s=20

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

at the risk of beating it into the ground....

third time they've lost their entire staff in less than a week.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
incredible

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

BWV posted:

Not beaten into the ground yet. Loooool.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
:rip: to another one
https://mobile.twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1191773023499673602

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

Paul Maidment resigned.

Huh, Not surprising, I guess.

BWV posted:

:discourse:

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
yes, thank you.

https://twitter.com/timmarchman/status/1191797290798858240

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Francesa just has incredible amounts of drama all the time

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

General Dog posted:

I refuse to be lumped in with that disgusting pile of racists and xenophobes just because I’m a pro-capital authoritarian. :colbert:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Francesa just has incredible amounts of drama all the time

he is the king of sports radio

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Why aren't the deadspin writers just starting their own site? Is there a business with a lower cost of entry than an internet blog? With the industry connections and existing audience they collectively have, I really don't get why they are moping around like they need to wait for some evil capitalist to come along and permit them to work again. Here is their chance to put their money where their mouth is and actually run a journalism business the way they think it should be run.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Most people can’t afford to lay out a bunch of upfront money and then work for free for an undetermined amount of time

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Why aren't the deadspin writers just starting their own site?

Based on the couple of podcast interviews I’ve heard, it sounds like something at the scale of Deadspin would require tens of millions. So yes, it’s not cheap.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Why aren't the deadspin writers just starting their own site? Is there a business with a lower cost of entry than an internet blog? With the industry connections and existing audience they collectively have, I really don't get why they are moping around like they need to wait for some evil capitalist to come along and permit them to work again. Here is their chance to put their money where their mouth is and actually run a journalism business the way they think it should be run.

This is probably disingenuous but I'll humor myself.

1. They aren't moping around? They are almost all probably pitching and writing freelance stuff elsewhere right now.

2. Because running a site is expensive and time consuming. Salary, Healthcare, Building rent, Legal, etc etc.

You need a large amount of upfront cash to be able to get a site like that off of the ground.

3. Building something new is something that takes time, and people have to pay rent, bills, healthcare etc etc. If we lived in a country with any kind of a social safety net then sure. But lmao.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
They also didn't know this would happen so quickly - a bunch of them have said they're still in shock.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This has been a super good episode, and refreshing to hear their voices on this whole fantastical poo poo show.

Jesus wept, what a piece of poo poo. "Now that I've completely hollowed out this carcass I take my leave to poo poo on other things, adieu."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Roth interview on Chapo was pretty interesting. His take is that Spanfeller and company wasn't trying to shut anything down politically--he really is just that stupid and had no idea what he had bought or why he should listen to the people that worked there.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jiro posted:

This has been a super good episode, and refreshing to hear their voices on this whole fantastical poo poo show.

Jesus wept, what a piece of poo poo. "Now that I've completely hollowed out this carcass I take my leave to poo poo on other things, adieu."

Note: Paul Maidment died on his way back to his home planet

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the most illegal party toilet of them all

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Roth interview on Chapo was pretty interesting. His take is that Spanfeller and company wasn't trying to shut anything down politically--he really is just that stupid and had no idea what he had bought or why he should listen to the people that worked there.

Yeah they made a big deal at how the "Trump got booed during the world series" was a good article. They really were just tone deaf and wanted desperately to show that their ideas (and no one else's) would work.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Roth wrote about the mets for baseball prospectus

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/55016/managing-the-unmanageable/

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Deadspin isn't an internet blog, it's an advertising business that was losing millions of dollars per year until recently. Sure, they could probably kickstart a blog, but turning it profitable, especially for an editorial staff of that size, is a huge task

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Jiro posted:

It's entirely possible that Maidment was just loving terrible at his job, couldn't get Spanfeller to budge on the stick to sports thing because Spanfeller is a constantly falling upwards failson, and quit because gently caress dealing with this poo poo and blowback that he was too inept to understand and prevent. One thing in the Hang Up and Listen episode is that Greenwell protected her staff from a LOT of poo poo on the "Stick to Spurtz" front, so that they weren't fully aware of how hard it was coming down from above.

NicelyNice posted:

Deadspin isn't an internet blog, it's an advertising business that was losing millions of dollars per year until recently. Sure, they could probably kickstart a blog, but turning it profitable, especially for an editorial staff of that size, is a huge task

The website itself was profitable. It was losing money because of the debt the Gawker websites got saddled with from Univision. Which is why levering your company to the hilt is usually a really bad idea even with continued crazy low interest rates... but everyone does it because of how cheap it is to borrow and the tax advantages of doing so and the idea that they know how to massively grow their companies to make all that debt not an issue. loving capitalists never learn.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I would really appreciate if a BP subscriber could post that Roth article here. The tags alone are amazing. "Mountainous Dumps on the Infield," "Pink Men in Blue Dress Shirts," "Our Big Wet Owners," "Marge Schott."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

I would really appreciate if a BP subscriber could post that Roth article here. The tags alone are amazing. "Mountainous Dumps on the Infield," "Pink Men in Blue Dress Shirts," "Our Big Wet Owners," "Marge Schott."

You can read it with a free "basic" subscription.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

It's entirely possible that Maidment was just loving terrible at his job, couldn't get Spanfeller to budge on the stick to sports thing because Spanfeller is a constantly falling upwards failson, and quit because gently caress dealing with this poo poo and blowback that he was too inept to understand and prevent. One thing in the Hang Up and Listen episode is that Greenwell protected her staff from a LOT of poo poo on the "Stick to Spurtz" front, so that they weren't fully aware of how hard it was coming down from above.

The website itself was profitable. It was losing money because of the debt the Gawker websites got saddled with from Univision. Which is why levering your company to the hilt is usually a really bad idea even with continued crazy low interest rates... but everyone does it because of how cheap it is to borrow and the tax advantages of doing so and the idea that they know how to massively grow their companies to make all that debt not an issue. loving capitalists never learn.

They learn : it’s the whole point. That is the end they seek. It’s what mitt Romney does for a living for example.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

It was interesting to hear how the stick to sports stuff was equally about pumping out more generic sports content as it was avoiding politics/journalism. Obviously it's a zero sum game because a writer copy/pasting an AP story takes time away from calling Trump a Cheeto but it just seemed like the Herb's vision for the site was leveraging Deadspins editorial brand to expand into more ESPN/Bleacher Report style content. Now you might think that flooding the site with click bait trash would dilute and eventually destroy the very editorial voice that made Deadspin what it was, but that's only because you are a normie and not a Visionary Leader Expert Biznus Man from private equity.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Noo
Noooooooooooo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

BWV posted:

It was interesting to hear how the stick to sports stuff was equally about pumping out more generic sports content as it was avoiding politics/journalism. Obviously it's a zero sum game because a writer copy/pasting an AP story takes time away from calling Trump a Cheeto but it just seemed like the Herb's vision for the site was leveraging Deadspins editorial brand to expand into more ESPN/Bleacher Report style content. Now you might think that flooding the site with click bait trash would dilute and eventually destroy the very editorial voice that made Deadspin what it was, but that's only because you are a normie and not a Visionary Leader Expert Biznus Man from private equity.

afaik the “stick to sports” mandate was really about not criticizing g/o’s internal practices especially w/r/t advertising (which, by the way, does make every gmg website a fuckin nightmare to read)

i also remember some nonsense about listicles and slideshows (which iirc is how we got that classic rock bands ranked article) and they also put in autoplay videos which literally no one but advertisers likes

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

yea they definitely were not happy about the deep dives into the companies hiring practices and potential gender discrimination. And as Barry (I think said), the writers at Deadspin are admittedly poo poo disturbers (in a good way). I was referring more to what Greenwell was saying on that podcast where it seems they were committed to transforming Deadspin into something entirely different all the while thinking the fundamental aspects of the brand/site would not be eroded.

It's a classic private equity/rich guy gently caress up where they buy something and say "sure this thing works, but what if we did this AND this AND this AND that" as if a lack of vision and leadership (and not that these changes are self destructive) is whats preventing these things from happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

euphronius posted:

Noo
Noooooooooooo

as bad as that is

https://twitter.com/donaldjtrumpjr/status/1191837259399651328