Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1191889158085775361

really incredibly funny that he said this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

evilweasel posted:

yeah, that's the key part: the entire republican strategy right now is about nationalizing everything as ARE YOU WITH THE LEADER OR ARE YOU A TRAITOR and if that doesn't get you 50.1% in kentucky that's, uh, not super for republicans

but it does mean that dems everywhere still need to run good races instead of just hoping trump backlash wins

Yeah that's probably the best take. If Dems think they can just coast on "Trump bad!" again, it's gonna end in tears but KY shows the opening is there if they actually run a competent campaign that pushes for poo poo people want, it can happen.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
A funny thing about the KY election is that, currently, Beshear is winning by about 10,000 votes less than the number of votes for the libertarian candidate

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This is more evidence to point to that Trumps whole “act” has lost a ton of luster among those who had ostensibly been supporters or were at least inclined to like him. I mentioned this in my post about his constant rallies for the past 3 years now backfiring on him because everything he does just doesn’t carry as much weight anymore, it’s less interesting to the average person. There’s far less of a carnival freak show factor as well.

He has his devoted cult that has tripled down on him but what else?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Holy poo poo Josh Cole has a narrow lead in VA 28

https://www.vpap.org/electionresults/20191105/election-9788/

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Not surprised, if they think trump isn’t bringing people out to vote and is possibly making poo poo worse than they will stab him the back.
Trump is still quite popular among the GOP base, even with impeachment. So if they go against Trump they get primaried out of their seat by an open fascist who (presumably) loses in the general. Likewise if they support Trump they presumably lose the general as well.

This is the death spiral, though it remains to be seen to what extent this actually plays out. In a lot of places (like, e.g., Kentucky) there are enough fascists in the general population for the GOP to continue winning, whatever happens in the governor's race tonight. The general solution nationwide for the party is to basically abandon its base and get annihilated in elections for a few years while they build a platform that is more palatable to the general population.

Well that or mass fraud and disenfranchisement. I'll leave it to you to guess which way they go.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Sydin posted:

Is Beshear a lock? He's only up by about 20,000 votes and the only counties still left to report are rural ones. :ohdear:

Yeah, seriously. Beshear is ahead at the moment, but I'm still waiting for the last 8% or so of the vote to come in and put Bevin like 3 votes ahead.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

oxsnard posted:

black felons

:ohno:

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

non-violent criminals, not 'black felons' wtf

I read earlier that the affected demographic was 75% black

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also the KY Governor has a veto over the 2020 redistricting maps, in case you need another reason to celebrate.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

oh are you under the impression that KY has a fair and equitable criminal justice system?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also the KY Governor has a veto over the 2020 redistricting maps, in case you need another reason to celebrate.

Chances that the GOP Kentucky senate will gut that power?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Do republicans have a veto-proof majority in the legislature?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The cynic in me just assumes that racist DAs will just push to shoehorn in "violent" felonies whenever they can. If you're going to end disenfranchisement, just end disenfranchisement!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1191894596109950981?s=20

yay :)

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

oh are you under the impression that KY has a fair and equitable criminal justice system?

I thought that was fairly clear from context. Apologies if that wording was awkward

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Courier Journal says (including violent offences) there are ~312k ineligible voters of whom ~69k are black. This approximates to 1:10 residents, and specifically one in four black residents.

Also: KY voting blue in statewide offices is not that unusual. Beshear’s dad was a democratic governor just four years ago.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

evilweasel posted:

CommieGIR posted:

Chances that the GOP Kentucky senate will gut that power?

Apparently it was gutted a long time ago because you only need 50% to override a veto in Kentucky.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

oxsnard posted:

I read earlier that the affected demographic was 75% black
Yeah I'm not sure what the beef with this is, but I'm unironically all ears for someone to explain.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Stickman posted:

The cynic in me just assumes that racist DAs will just push to shoehorn in "violent" felonies whenever they can. If you're going to end disenfranchisement, just end disenfranchisement!

Presumably he can do what he proposes by executive action (a pardon or the like), what you are suggesting needs legislation.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Republicans defeated by democrats in governor race. Having rallied to no avail, Trump is rendered KY jelly.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Presumably he can do what he proposes by executive action (a pardon or the like), what you are suggesting needs legislation.

That makes more sense, thanks!

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

evilweasel posted:

Kentucky only requires a simply majority in both houses to override a veto, lol.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Courier Journal says (including violent offences) there are ~312k ineligible voters of whom ~69k are black. This approximates to 1:10 residents, and specifically one in four black residents.

Also: KY voting blue in statewide offices is not that unusual. Beshear’s dad was a democratic governor just four years ago.

Our national political discourse over the last 3.5 years can be distilled down to with or against Trump. I wonder if there's ever been a time where so much political identity has been centered on one person. Just like 2018 with record Dem turnout (along with solid GOP numbers.) It doesn't seem like nothing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what the beef with this is, but I'm unironically all ears for someone to explain.

Referring to people disenfranchised for prior crimes as 'felons' is dehumanizing in and of itself, and while pointing out that it predominantly affects black people is fine, paired with 'felons' it kinda plays into bigoted stereotypes. I assumed oxnard didn't actually mean to imply those things, but part of the reason D&D exists is to learn how to better talk about issues.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Despite the caveats you can tack on this in KY it's nice to see a win for a non-chud. Good stuff.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

Referring to people disenfranchised for prior crimes as 'felons' is dehumanizing in and of itself, and while pointing out that it predominantly affects black people is fine, paired with 'felons' it sounds like something that plays into bigoted stereotypes. I assumed oxnard didn't actually mean to imply those things, but part of the reason D&D exists is to learn how to better talk about issues.

Duly noted. Thanks for the feedback, I mean it

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Video schadenfreude

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1191894907801214977?s=20

https://twitter.com/krystalball/status/1191895564780294144?s=20

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 6, 2019

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Every time I feel a bit of hope, I check this thread to re-learn why victory is meaningless and surrender to the howling void is inevitable.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

im curious about the MS governor race now. i know jim hood has been the attorney general forever, hopefully he's popular enough to win the governorship

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

fool_of_sound posted:

Referring to people disenfranchised for prior crimes as 'felons' is dehumanizing in and of itself, and while pointing out that it predominantly affects black people is fine, paired with 'felons' it sounds like something that plays into bigoted stereotypes. I assumed oxnard didn't actually mean to imply those things, but part of the reason D&D exists is to learn how to better talk about issues.
I mean I read it as saying "felon" because they have felony convictions (and it's assumed that many of those convictions are bullshit). "Felon" is pretty neutral to me and so I wasn't aware of this - I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Weirdly enough none of the networks seem to be calling the KY Gov race despite 98% of the votes being in.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Cole flips the 28th! Thank you Fredericksburg!

https://twitter.com/vahousedems/status/1191896894521380865?s=21

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

theflyingorc posted:

The dumb thing about "Oregon Trail generation" is that a lot of schools kept those crappy Apple IIs or Tandys around until like 2000, so it's just a bunch of Gen Xers not realizing that Millennials also played Oregon trail.

You realize they made multiple versions of Oregon Trail for like 30 years right? Its heyday came with the late-80s version for Macintosh/DOS/etc, which is the one most of us probably remember playing.

KillHour posted:

CNET doing good work.

https://www.cnet.com/news/no-one-should-buy-the-facebook-portal-tv/

When a tech review article on CNET of all places tells people not to buy your stuff because you're too evil, you done hosed up.

Holy poo poo the comments on that are psychotic. Prolly the first time people blow up a CNET article’s comment section.

Rigel posted:

It would definitely mean something, but the Dems nominated perhaps the best candidate they possibly could for the race (from the KY Beshear dynasty, proven already he can win statewide, good candidate, etc), so he's going to greatly outperform what a generic Dem would do. If he narrowly wins tonight, that means any other Dem would have lost.

It would be more interesting if Beshear wins by like 10 points.

Every time I hear Beshear’s name I can’t help but picture Alexander Siddig as KY governor and then I get sad when it’s not the case.

BonoMan posted:

Voted today in Mississippi but the stupid machines don't have a way of confirming how it saw your ballot (it's just a paper ballot that's scanned by a machine). It only checks to see if you are sure about the races you left blank. Who decided that's a good system?

Racists who want to steal elections.

Mantis42 posted:

Protecting pedophiles to own the cons.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I don’t know why this post got probated when at least twelve other posters have called out the same thing.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Instead of just running guns and money to central American death squads, the United States can cut out the middleman and put leftists in mass graves themselves. What do you think happens to that military mission of mercy once another weak corporatist gets voted out for Trump II?

Right, better to do nothing at all and bury our heads in the sand while we continue to fortify our country and deport the poo poo out of everybody trying to stay alive. Because the Zetas are wicked leftist and hella woke.

Remember that Obama’s deportation machine hit peak operating efficiency right as hundreds of thousands of El Salvadorans were fleeing cartel rape gangs.

There’s nothing leftist about isolationism. Che Guevara understood that, even if it’s ultimately what delivered him to the death squads. As climate change progresses that’s going to become even more apparent.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

Trump lost Kentucky. KENTUCKY in an election year :allears:

He's dead meat. The GOP Senators are going to start running political calculus regardless of what Lindsey bitches about or McConnell says

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

bobjr posted:

Weirdly enough none of the networks seem to be calling the KY Gov race despite 98% of the votes being in.

Because it's within 10k votes.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Ice Phisherman posted:

My BP? Not sure what that means.

This kind of behavior is extremely common in corporate media though. It's not what they say, what they're for or against. It's what they don't say. What they're not allowed to say without lighting their careers on fire. If you're on a hot mic, you can say pretty much anything. You are allowed to do that because eventually you'll be on live television. The problem is that if you offend power, the people who sign your checks or the people who have their ears, you will find yourself out of a job.

The talking heads are the millionaire class who serve the billionaire class. This is true of all corporations who create media. The purpose of corporate media is to launder the abuses of power whether that's political power or corporate power or religious power. Really, whatever power block that corporation is a part of, but there also exists class consciousness and if you offend the class consciousness of the elites you're pretty well hosed.

The thing about people "not caring" about Epstein is that people weren't informed about Epstein. It's not difficult to form a narrative about a billionaire pedophile who is connected to most other Western movers and shakers from across the bullshit ideological spectrum. We view the people in power as on this or that side. Bill Gates as some philanthropist billionaire. Donald Trump as a fascist upon his gold plated toilet. The Clintons as elite middle-right centrists. Jeff Bezos as the richest man in the world never to pay taxes.

All of these people and more are connected to Epstein or Ghislaine Maxwell, his ex-fixer and they're terrified that their involvement with him will cause a mob to jail them, if not rip them apart in the streets for raping little girls. It's an indictment not of some left or right win politics. These people are the people who pull the levers of power. Who throw the political footballs and introduce new ones. Those are distractions.

Donald Trump and the Clinton family and Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos are all autocrats and they have more in common with one another than they do with you or me. It's a small community and they're all directly linked to Epstein, all of them after his first conviction for acting as a broker to the powerful to rape teenage and preteen girls. It was still running for over a decade and the people who run the media are complicit because they did their best to sing us back to sleep after Epstein's murder.

I believe that if the full details of Epstein's involvement were made then people would lose faith not in some nebulous left or right or centrist wing of politics. It would be everyone because there are so many people involved. It would be like breaking kayfabe, where professional wrestlers who pretended to hate each other for so long hugged on stage and suddenly the lie was over. Wrestling was fake.

Well I'm telling you that politics as most of us know it is fake. The left/right/centrist spectrum is bullshit. Corporate media's purpose is to soothe us to sleep so elites can maintain their power. For those who won't stay asleep, they plug them into narratives that make us fight one another to waste our strength and attention. For those who understand that the elites are the enemy, not normal people, those people are either ignored or demonized.

Capitalism subsumes all critiques, even those that critique capitalism. That our elites are all or at least mostly involved in a no poo poo elite pedophile cabal is an all hands on deck moment because it threatens to bring the might low and might even create a reckoning. It could bring the American experiment crashing down around our ears and honestly, I'm not too put out about that if this is who runs everything. These people point from their thrones, pretending to be on this side of that, doing their best to divide us so they can rule us. They want to divide us, to turn us into atomized, self-loathing nihilists who vote for the corrupt because they're convinced the other guy is just as bad. But that's a recipe for exactly what happened in the USSR, where people stopped believing in it and so it effectively ceased to exist. No riot, no protests, just a collapse of the narrative that was nation.

There are some things that you need to believe in a thing to make it true. Some things that work on faith. Nations are one of these things. Borders are imaginary and in the United States, there is no dominant ethnic group. Whiteness is imaginary, for we come from no common ethnic group. Race in general is imaginary and only serves to divide us so elites might steal our labor, slave and slavemaster alike, though one enjoys evil privileges over the other, they are still both held captive by who owns them if not through bondage and violence, then through contenting one with the dark delights that are cruelty to sate the fact that they are also oppressed, though unequally.

We are not born to be whipped nor born to whip others. We are taught to do so. Taught to hate and degrade. Taught to suffer because raising our voice comes with the possibility of pain and death.

Elites cease to be without race to divide us, without class, without the arbitrary politics that we are indoctrinated to believe in largely by them. It is an ongoing divide and conquer strategy as old as time that builds nations and empires also causes them to collapse not only under their contradictions, but under the weight of decadent elites who want more for the simple sake of having more at your expense and mine.

The structure of existing political thought under neoliberalism falls apart if examined critically and neoliberalism dominates what passes for left and right the world over. It is riddled with contradictions and can only be accepted through complicated sleight of hand. If our system is examined without that sleight of hand we see the scam and scam artist. We begin to form a critique and capitalism subsumes this critique of itself into itself and weaponizes it against those who would seek to tear it down. They seek violence, the last refuge of the capitalist. They seek to divide and conquer, turning one group of people against the other. To create slave master and slave as a class once again so they can rule them both. To cause people to glut themselves on violence so they can discharge all of the anger and frustration and fear and rage caused by capitalism. One ape slaps another, who in stead of striking backs, slaps a smaller ape. All down the line, slapping the small until the last ape curls into a ball and hopes that it is not beaten again.

We are not so evolved. We are not so enlightened. We are still savage. The only way out that I know is through forming class consciousness, tearing down elites and not installing more of them, for we'd just repeat the cycle again. We'd have our triumph, but it would be fleeting. It's not individuals that we need to defeat. It is a system. An intellectual virus that causes us to accept a monopoly state violence, because the state would not exist without it.

This system is ripe to collapse under its contradictions, but I believe that we need to go further. And like the binding of Isaac, we need a substitute. To say no, we will not do violence to our fellow man another more. That shall not be the bedrock that we manufacture our political consent. And to me, the answer is simple. Bread. Simple bread. To build consent based on care for one another, not on violence. Because if our political systems are forever built on violence, we will never break this cycle. We will always come back here. We will always struggle with fundamental questions because our system is fundamentally flawed. There will never be justice or peace because how we manufacture consent is through violence.

I know I am dragging this from five pages back, but this seriously explains my worldview so well that you brought a loving tear to my eye. Bra-loving-vo.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

What's with the write-in candidate leading in VA-30? I assume they are garbage since their opponent is a Democrat.

EDIT: It turns out the thing that is with them is an error on the vpap website; they are indeed Republican.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I AM DRUNK OFF MY rear end BUT WE GOT VIRGINIA GOOOOOONNNNSSSSSS! gently caress YEA. gently caress RIGHT OFF CHUDS. COME AND GET SOME!

THIS IS MY DAY MOTHERFUCKERS! I HAVE MY loving DAY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i do love how it really is all about him and "losing face" or whatever.