Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can I get the Galaran evo of Mr Mime without getting the horrible disgusting abomination that is Galaran Mr Mime cause... jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

Can I get the Galaran evo of Mr Mime without getting the horrible disgusting abomination that is Galaran Mr Mime cause... jesus.

Love of all of him or none of him:colbert:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Macaluso posted:

Probably not.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
mr. crime

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mr. knifecrime

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

qnqnx posted:

VGC isn't gonna be any much better, even with the less stall.
That's the only thing I am looking forward this generation, the absolute mess that will be the exact same teams in VGC over and over and over

People saying that at least the smaller dex will foster creativity in Comp teams don't understand what the term meta means. It's just gonna be 6 of any 11 slightly different teams now.

If you ban 3S Chun Li people are just gonna pick Ken.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

E: OU obviously has to have a banlist anyways and I'll be glad if they finally ban Toxapex because it's been incredibly lovely for OU since its inception. Aegislash is in Sword/Shield and there is no way Aegislash should be allowed in any OU, both because of power level and creating absolutely miserable RPS situations.

I was legit sad back when Aegislash first got banned even though it definitely deserved it, because I liked to run a dumb gimmick Power Trick set on it that wasn't really very good and was probably suboptimal enough that it wasn't unreasonable for OU, but every once in a while someone would get tripped up by it and I got to feel like a genius.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

People saying that at least the smaller dex will foster creativity in Comp teams don't understand what the term meta means. It's just gonna be 6 of any 11 slightly different teams now.

If you ban 3S Chun Li people are just gonna pick Ken.
Even if there's still repetition, it will at least be different Pokemon repeating than in previous tournaments and that's interesting enough as a spectator.

Looking at the Masters, Seniors, and Juniors winning teams from the 2019 world championships, the only Pokemon among all three teams making the jump to Galar is Togedemaru. I'm excited to see who shows up next year.

EDIT: Also Charizard is cool and it is not his fault he is shown favoritism.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Even if there's still repetition, it will at least be different Pokemon repeating than in previous tournaments and that's interesting enough as a spectator.

Looking at the Masters, Seniors, and Juniors winning teams from the 2019 world championships, the only Pokemon among all three teams making the jump to Galar is Togedemaru. I'm excited to see who shows up next year.

EDIT: Also Charizard is cool and it is not his fault he is shown favoritism.

It'll be as exciting as the first few S/M tournaments which did the same thing since you could only use pokes caught or bred in Alola for it.

Which is to say...not that much different at all.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah there is always going to be a top pick meta. That's unavoidable in any competitive game. All this is gonna do is delay the inevitable for a bit and cause things to be shuffled around for a bit before it finally settles.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
competitive pokemon is at its most interesting to me when you know the person you're going to fight since it lets you run some really zany tech, whereas when you're just laddering you need to play much safer. i should enter more tournaments in gen 8, hm

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really like watching vods of draft tournaments too. i dont really enjoy the act of drafting but its cool seeing people dig super deep into some otherwise mediocre mon's movepools when planning sets since you know the very limited pool of pokemon your opponent gets to pick from any given round.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

:hmmyes:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i hope in the next game, or even a future gen we get all 16 of the renaming combo fossils. feel bad if those abominations are left like that tbh

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Johnny Joestar posted:

mr. knifecrime

*surviving edged weapons voice* Many Pokemon live on the edge of knife culture.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

KungFu Grip posted:

i hope in the next game, or even a future gen we get all 16 of the renaming combo fossils. feel bad if those abominations are left like that tbh

Add a mechanic where if you have the right pair in your party and they both level up in a battle, they evolve into the correct, non-Franekstein form.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

Nah. But GunSword and GunShield should have the opposites of what we got right now.

The opposite of Dracozolt, with tiny lanky yellow legs carrying a massive a super beefy dragon torso.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 6, 2019

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Stats for the fossils:

Only two abilities between the four. Seems the head determines the ability.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 6, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
it's somewhat telling, to me, that the pokedex entries describe the new fossilmons as though those were actually what they were in the past

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yessss the one I want appears to be a speedy physical attacker.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Bleck posted:

it's somewhat telling, to me, that the pokedex entries describe the new fossilmons as though those were actually what they were in the past

If you were an evil genius at trial what would you do, acknowledge that you created a genetic abomination in violation of the Cartagena Protocol or blame it on Arceus

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bleck posted:

tbf it does explain why they went extinct.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's intentionally a joke about how people write the entries and how some scientist who made an abomination isn't going to admit that they hosed up

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Bleck posted:

Yep!
it's now explicitly canon that a least some of the dex entries are either speculation or just bs written by the child protags

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blaziken386 posted:

Yep!
it's now explicitly canon that a least some of the dex entries are either speculation or just bs written by the child protags

that's what the drifloons want you to believe

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I wanna have my cake and eat it, too. One of the scientists is all-in on never being wrong and boldly claims how these horrific freaks were totally resurrected perfectly. Their assistant is a nervous wreck that knows they hosed up but can't admit it because they'd be fired and never work in the field ever again.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's intentionally a joke about how people write the entries and how some scientist who made an abomination isn't going to admit that they hosed up

The joke is on us because there are no properly revived fossils, doesn't seem there will be ever and we will be saddled with a joke that wears thin in under five minutes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

qnqnx posted:

The joke is on us because there are no properly revived fossils, doesn't seem there will be ever and we will be saddled with a joke that wears thin in under five minutes.

it's a cool concept and they're neat designs. jesus, lighten up.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

qnqnx posted:

every post you’ve made in here loving sucks rear end dude

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Joestar posted:

What do you think this is? A kid's game??

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

Why is that every post from you is so defensive about the games?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Johnny Joestar posted:

Blaziken386 posted:

Yep!

And one of those dex entries contradicts itself within the same entry. "Can run really fast except it needs to be underwater to breathe."

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

qnqnx posted:

It's necessary to balance out your boring negativity.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

qnqnx posted:

lmfao get a grip you loser

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It's necessary to balance out your boring negativity.

Hard to be positive about the games, given everything we have seen so far.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
It's a good joke and I also wanna see how they talk about these Frankenfriends in-game. Gonna have a team of them with Dead Coral

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

qnqnx posted:

You'd know about jokes that wear thin fast, yeah.

Araxxor posted:

And one of those dex entries contradicts itself within the same entry. "Can run really fast except it needs to be underwater to breathe."

All of them are really dodgy. Even beyond that one, you have a Pokemon that apparently was perfectly able to keep its own food but died because it was too slow, when catching prey should be unnecessary, a Pokemon whose upper and lower halves are of completely different sizes and this is brushed off as normal, and the one that died because it couldn't breathe, which clearly has nothing to do with its head being upside down.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

qnqnx posted:

the last gameboy i owned opened like a flip-phone and one of the last official pokemon-related things i did on it that i remember was catch groudon with a net ball because i'd run out of basically everything else. i mostly just like finding out what the new designs are and find it exciting to wait for cool new info about something that i might never even play myself, because gamefreak tends to do fun stuff and it's not really unheard of for someone who doesn't actively play the games to enjoy the fan-based interaction that comes out of learning about new generations.

this tends to skew my opinion about everything to do with gen 8 in that i'll readily admit i'm going to be more positive about it because i don't have a bunch of carried-over pokemon that i want to transfer onward that i won't actually be able to. if i somehow got a switch and a copy of the game i'm sure i still wouldn't care about having to start fresh, either. i personally don't see the need to drag a bunch of dumb negativity into this thread because anyone who wants that can go literally anywhere else on the internet where people are hopping mad and more than willing to let others know.

all of this is way too many words to answer you in the first place when in reality i could just say this: get bent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rime of the ancient pantomimer