Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

to the phil ochs i mean

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Everybody knows about Mississippi, goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ25-U3jNWM

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mississippi is just the worst loving place. I've probably spent a grand total of a week of my life in that poo poo state, and I want every minute of it back.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I wish I had a dollar for every minute I spent in Mississippi.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I dunno what Utopic states you Mississippi hating jerks are from but maybe take it easy on the Magnolia state. They're obviously struggling real bad.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I dunno what Utopic states you Mississippi hating jerks are from but maybe take it easy on the Magnolia state. They're obviously struggling real bad.

I was in the Mississippi Guard.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'm from Louisiana. Mississippi can gently caress off.

McNally posted:

You poor poor bastard.

gently caress

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

McNally posted:

oh

oh wow

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McNally posted:

This is a safe space. Show me on the doll where the Guard touched you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn’t Virginia one of the states where the democrats were prevented from getting a majority by some flipping to republican?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

McNally posted:

I'm sorry man, that had to be hell.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn’t Virginia one of the states where the democrats were prevented from getting a majority by some flipping to republican?

Name drawn out of a hat because there was an exact tie, but yes.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, the seat went to a tie-breaker (coin flip IIRC) and the GOP won the seat.

The Dem candidate ran again for the same seat and won with 58% of the vote :lol:

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I hope Virginia gets some real poo poo done this year. If they have time left over, I hope they legalize a weed

E: 2019 has damaged me... I'm imagining Gov. Northam finding a way to gently caress this up

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Sites are claiming KY gov went Dem.

Does this mean if Mitch McConnel (R - Turtle) dies he can appoint a Dem to finish the term?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I did an internship where I lived at Shiloh Battlefield in Tennessee and worked in Corinth, Mississippi right across the border.

There were a lot of burned out or abandoned houses along my commute.

joat mon posted:

I expect it's the difference between local and national races. Local stuff, signs are more important to getting your name out there than ads or mailers. For national stuff, I expect the word is gotten out by ads and news, and signs are more for voters to show their support.

Local races, you want as many people as possible people to have signs to get your name out, so it's an expense (and a good one) National races, your name's already out there and I guess the idea is that people will pay to show their support to support other parts of the campaign. Sort of like free baseball tickets to get people into the park, but fans will pay for shirts and ballcaps.
Still, the idea of charging for signs is weird.

Lawn signs are actually pretty bad for advertisement (It's very easy to ignore them and even if you don't, all you might remember is a name not connected to party or policy). And as a practical concern, they're big and bulky—so not only is it hard to store and distribute them, but they also take up a lot of room that would be better spent on more effective physical advertisements, like mailers and door hangers.

The only area where lawn signs really have a place is motivating your own supporters and volunteers. Even if they're highly unlikely to get people interested in your candidate on their own, supporters like having them because it's an easy way to tell people who you're voting for, and it can be encouraging to drive through an area and see tons of lawn signs for your preferred candidate (And, conversely, discouraging when you can see a ton of opposing lawn signs and relatively few of your own).

If you want my guess, Sanders' campaign wants their supporters as motivated and active as possible—so if they make lawn signs as cheap as they can possibly provide, it means more people are going to pick them up and dump them everywhere, which in turn makes people think that support for Sanders is higher than they might otherwise believe, which continues to motivate supporters and get them doing other, productive things like knocking on doors or passing out mailers.

It's not the strategy I'd pick, but maybe it's working for them? Obviously just the idea of cheap lawn signs is motivating people here, so it's doing some work at least.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nystral posted:

Does this mean if Mitch McConnel (R - Turtle) dies he can appoint a Dem to finish the term?

Yes.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Nystral posted:

Yup.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Fuckit. Here's where you can see how the Mississippi race goes.

https://data.clarionledger.com/mississippi-general-election-results-2019/

Jim Hood's supposed to be a good guy. But so was Ray Mabus. Mabus turned out to be a Stennis wannabe who hollowed out the surface fleet manpower and caused the Fitz and McCain collisions just so he could pump more money to Ingalls Shipyard.

Fuckit. I dunno. I just want some good stuff to happen to where I grew up.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

McNally posted:

Lol you saluted the Confederate flag

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Lol you saluted the Confederate flag

I didn't, actually.

To my recollection I never once had to salute any flag while I was doing Guard stuff.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Handsome Ralph posted:

Lee Carter also held onto his seat :toot:

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Kentucky to go blue next year based on tonight's result, but it sure as gently caress does not bode well for the GOP.

Stealth GIPer?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

double

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So much for the tolerant left.

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1191916709529227264?s=19

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
gently caress and hell yeah.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Nystral posted:

Even if he did, I'm sure it is turtles all the way down.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

You know all the really evil ones like Mitch and Kissinger live for a gorillion years. It's part of their pact with the great evil spirit they dedicate their blood sacrifices to.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

gently caress yeah

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

can we get the johnny mnemonic future instead

Star Trek Mirror Universe, sorry. It's all goatees, skimpy women's uniforms, and war crimes from here.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lmao the Democrat won the Governor's race in Kentucky and his Republican opponent immediately started shrieking about voter fraud and refuses to concede

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fallom posted:

lmao the Democrat won the Governor's race in Kentucky and his Republican opponent immediately started shrieking about voter fraud and refuses to concede

Democrat wins: "MEXICAN CARAVAN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT VOTER FRAUD!!1!!"

Republican wins: "THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Godholio posted:

Star Trek Mirror Universe, sorry. It's all goatees, skimpy women's uniforms, and war crimes from here.

Well, two out of three ain't bad

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

BigDave posted:

The modern Republican party's election strategy is "fake it 'til you make it".

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fallom posted:

I mean, certainly those 1000s of absentee ballots I drove down to Louisville isn't a crime is it?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

A Bad Poster posted:

The modern Republican party's election strategy is "fake it 'til you make it".

Pretty sure Eric Trump has that tattooed above his dick in mistranslated Chinese.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

BigDave posted:

They actually say it either way. Trump cried for over a year about illegal bused in immigrants that voted for Hillary.

It's always bused in too.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

That Works posted:

From reading earlier in the week Bevin losing KY isn't quite an indictment about Trump. Apparently dude and his admins were just tremendous assholes to everyone and burned a lot of bridges etc. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome to see a D win in KY and I think Trump weakening might have played a part, but probably a pretty small part compared to Bevin shooting himself in the dick. Do we have any local KY people that know more of the story?

Good news all the same, wins a win :toot:
I'm Kentucky affiliated and yea this is it. The guy drew the ire of pretty much every teacher in KY by taking their pension fund and then calling them lazy, pedophile enablers when the teachers used their sick days to protest against him.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

bird food bathtub posted:

This is a safe space. Show me on the doll where the Guard touched you.

Uh. I mean. Have you not been paying attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah these types are the future of the GOP.

Either way, looks like Washington voters struck down affirmative action AND voted for gutting their transportation.

It's my home of record, but trying desperately to become a place I wouldn't want to come back and live in.