Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I find it funny that Dave making one mistake generates this much discussion. Other wrestling journalists/scoops people get stuff wrong so often that no one even cares but Dave messing up one thing kicks off a huge discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

I find it funny that Dave making one mistake generates this much discussion. Other wrestling journalists/scoops people get stuff wrong so often that no one even cares but Dave messing up one thing kicks off a huge discussion.

It's because it is a very funny mistake where Seth Rollins knew it was defamatory to be accused of defending a company that thoroughly evil.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I believe rovert's point here was that Dave expends more time and energy on engaging with random nobodies on twitter than he needs to (as very entertaining as it is), and it would be better served used for his writing instead.

His implication seems to be that sniping at idiots on twitter is straight up making Dave not do his job at all.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

He makes a lot of mistakes.

Discounting for volume and the changeable nature of Wrestling. I am sorry.

Meltzer substantially took from a Wreddit post that's the actual story with the Rollins deal no deflection can turn away from that. Open to Meltzer's explanation if he gives one.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

rovert posted:

He makes a lot of mistakes.

Discounting for volume and the changeable nature of Wrestling. I am sorry.

Compared to other scoopsfolk? I'd love to know who is more accurate. Even Casey hosed up this week.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've occasionally went at people with a few hundred, or, maybe a thousand fewer followers than me from time to time. Sometimes you just wanna rock and roll so you rock and roll. It doesn't actually hurt your actual main creative endeavors most of the time.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Nice brag, Rick, we can't all be superstars

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rovert posted:

Open to Meltzer's explanation if he gives one.

I can only imagine Dave is gonna talk about it on whatever the next WOR is, which is.... tomorrow right?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

Compared to other scoopsfolk? I'd love to know who is more accurate. Even Casey hosed up this week.

1 in a 100 situation. And even that wasn't lifted from Wreddit, had 20 people vouching for it and may likely still happen.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Casey spends a lot of time engaging on twitter. He’s not what he used to be. I knew the slip with Statlander was coming but didn’t want to say anything.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I can only imagine Dave is gonna talk about it on whatever the next WOR is, which is.... tomorrow right?

"I don't even know why people are mad" "You are an exceedingly attractive woman."

IN GENERAL.

I am very unhappy with the Observer, Torch and PWInsider's coverage of the Wednesday Night Wars

We are nth weeks into AEW Dynamite and Meltzer hasn't delivered any spicy scoops. When there's been lots of mid-show segment changes, a fight or two, talent unhappiness etc.

Fan of the product(s). But there's been a lot of teething issues yet none get reported.

Like do you expect it to be seamless? Look at the launch of WWF Raw in 1993, WCW Nitro in 1995, NWA TNA in 2002 etc. Read the newsletters at the time and detail offered vs. now.

Running Wednesdays only is a radical change yet I don't see that talked about it.

And simply wrestlers are never happy.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

casey is 97.3% accurate all-time while meltzer is 90.4% accurate all-time and dropping. do you want to stop trying to make a clown out of someone for discussing it now

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rovert posted:

"I don't even know why people are mad" "You are an exceedingly attractive woman."

IN GENERAL.

I am very unhappy with the Observer, Torch and PWInsider's coverage of the Wednesday Night Wars

We are nth weeks into AEW Dynamite and Meltzer hasn't delivered any spicy scoops. When there's been lots of mid-show segment changes, a fight or two, talent unhappiness etc.

Fan of the product(s). But there's been a lot of teething issues yet none get reported.

Like do you expect it to be seamless? Look at the launch of WWF Raw in 1993, WCW Nitro in 1995, NWA TNA in 2002 etc. Read the newsletters at the time and detail offered vs. now.

Running Wednesdays only is a radical change yet I don't see that talked about it.

And simply wrestlers are never happy.

then make a fuckin name for yourself, scoopsman, and break that poo poo yourself if you know about it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rovert posted:

IN GENERAL.

Hey rovert, this isn't an insult, I literally have no loving idea what this means? Can you explain please because I legitimately, honestly don't have a clue what you're trying to say here.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Alaois posted:

then make a fuckin name for yourself, scoopsman, and break that poo poo yourself if you know about it

All I ask is for Meltzer to take a break from "you know people used to say the same thing about Rey Mysterio as they do Marko Stunt" on Twitter. And blow the dust off the typewriter and rotary phone. And see how that works out.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rovert posted:

All I ask is for Meltzer to take a break from "you know people used to say the same thing about Rey Mysterio as they do Marko Stunt" on Twitter. And blow the dust off the typewriter and rotary phone. And see how that works out.

you can't findom me for scoops, irishman

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

yea ok posted:

Nice brag, Rick, we can't all be superstars

I bet you're more superer than me, friend.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
And load up the fax machine in case Japan calls.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Hey rovert, this isn't an insult, I literally have no loving idea what this means? Can you explain please because I legitimately, honestly don't have a clue what you're trying to say here.

"I don't even know why people are mad" = The Sam Roberts couldn't have a tape trader thing

"You are an exceedingly attractive woman." = Peyton Royce-gate

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

rovert posted:

He's 60 years old and his phone rings all night long with people trying to give him info. I do understand where you're coming from but expecting him to be in the locker rooms digging up stories or whatever like it was 30 years, or even 20 years ago, just isn't realistic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rovert posted:

"I don't even know why people are mad" = The Sam Roberts couldn't have a tape trader thing

"You are an exceedingly attractive woman." = Peyton Royce-gate

Thanks, the context was completely eluding me. I will say the latter one was pretty loving gross on WWE's end for wilfully misunderstanding what he said (which to be fair he said in a weird and stupid way) so they could fake being morally outraged at him.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Rick posted:

He's 60 years old and his phone rings all night long with people trying to give him info. I do understand where you're coming from but expecting him to be in the locker rooms digging up stories or whatever like it was 30 years, or even 20 years ago, just isn't realistic.

Very fair. He's surprisingly in touch for his age.

But lifting from Wreddit blind isn't it I am sorry.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

rovert posted:

He writes a novella-length newsletter every week and podcasts for about 90 minutes like four or five times a week.

No one in the scoops game is generating that kind of output with the accuracy he does. It's just a fact. Most scoopsbois trip up after 60 characters to the point that their scoops are not only inaccurate but unreadable

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think you’ll find that the scoops people know the scoops, they just can’t report them until someone else reports them first because of the sanctity of their sources.

You’ll be shocked when you learn what happened with Kylie Rae that I knew about but couldn’t tell you.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Lmao excuse any typos in this post crying so hard from the laughter. Good poo poo

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

:goodshit:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

People still taking rovert seriously in 2019, how about that.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

He writes a novella-length newsletter every week and podcasts for about 90 minutes like four or five times a week.

No one in the scoops game is generating that kind of output with the accuracy he does. It's just a fact. Most scoopsbois trip up after 60 characters to the point that their scoops are not only inaccurate but unreadable

I agree more than I disagree but again lifting from Wreddit isn't it and below his established standards. The Saudi situation isn't a minor story in the Here & There section.

I don't expect him to be on the clock 24/7 but fighting on Twitter has taken away from his newsletter by a lot.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

People still taking rovert seriously in 2019, how about that.

One of the three ad hominem attacks prior to this post for no reason. If three people can't offer a counterpoint I must be in the right.

rovert fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 6, 2019

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
itc we discuss ethics in wrestling journalism

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

born on a buy you posted:

itc we discuss ethics in wrestling journalism

That's not the issue at all. Nice meme though. It is Meltzer fighting with people with sub 6 followers on Twitter endlessly.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

rovert posted:

I agree more than I disagree but again lifting from Wreddit isn't it and below his established standards. The Saudi situation isn't a minor story in the Here & There section.

I don't expect him to be on the clock 24/7 but fighting on Twitter has taken away from his newsletter by a lot.

One of the three ad hominem attacks prior to this post for no reason. If three point can't offer a counterpoint I must be in the right.

You aren't gonna change him and you aren't gonna change anyone's opinions of him so the pages and pages of you arguing with people are about as efficient as his tweeting at nobodies.

You should have just spent the time writing your newsletter.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

rovert posted:

The quality of the newsletter hasn't changed since he got Twitter, if anything it's improved and he's moved most of his editorializing to the podcasts. We all have WON archives here to compare.

On top of that I think it strains credibility that he lifted the story wholesale from Reddit. He almost certainly had some kind of secondary source on the story that fed him bad info, and that's only if you believe Seth.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Psychepath posted:

You aren't gonna change him and you aren't gonna change anyone's opinions of him so the pages and pages of you arguing with people are about as efficient as his tweeting at nobodies.

You should have just spent the time writing your newsletter.

Fair point.

flashy_mcflash posted:

The quality of the newsletter hasn't changed since he got Twitter, if anything it's improved and he's moved most of his editorializing to the podcasts. We all have WON archives here to compare.

On top of that I think it strains credibility that he lifted the story wholesale from Reddit. He almost certainly had some kind of secondary source on the story that fed him bad info, and that's only if you believe Seth.

I disagree. Meltzer is better composed in the written word than rambling at 3am.The newsletter depends on the week. If he does a deep dive on the Joey Mercury ROH stuff I'd be impressed. Instead, it will be a wall of quoted text and nothing added to it.

You can compare the Meltzer version to the Wreddit version for yourself. It wasn't independent research.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Rovert write a newsletter and release hours of podcasts each week.

Make a video version for more money or whatever.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Am I the only one that read that retraction with a huge amount of sarcasm and Dave being a dick about Seth bitching? It's such a minor detail!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Rovert write a newsletter and release hours of podcasts each week.

Make a video version for more money or whatever.

I'd prefer and pay Meltzer to do that. And to provide an account from a major WWE meeting that wasn't majority lifted from Wreddit. Hot take I know. Drop the MMA section to do that if needs be.

rovert fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 6, 2019

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

rovert posted:

I'd prefer and pay Meltzer to do that. And to provide an account from a major WWE meeting that wasn't majority lifted from Wreddit. Hot take I know. Drop the MMA section to do that if needs be.

Well I'd prefer to pay you to do it!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I really don't understand why you don't start putting together something yourself if you have sources and seem to know info before/when Meltzer does. Your entire life already appears to be wrestling.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

He wrote a whole book about the v-trigger??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Trumps are so divisive and toxic at this point it seems like a massive unforced error to associate with them even if it is basically a press tour event for his dumb ghostwritten book.