Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Rhyno posted:

It's weird as hell to see them walking along the river in downtown Chicago where I've walked hundreds of times.

Literally every day I walk through millennium station at least once on my way to or from work, and I always think of the bat bike from Dark Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GreenNight posted:

Yeah in Arrow when they were like "Oliver, this is big we need to get help". And he mentions Diggle and Canary. Yeah big help. Didn't even mention Barry.

I mean think of all the bodies they'd need to clean up afterwards? More than usual.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Every Arrowverse show should be able to utilize speedforce.gif to get out of explaining poo poo.

For Batwoman it seems like it's gonna be costumeforce.jpg

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

For Batwoman it seems like it's gonna be costumeforce.jpg

At some point it will be lesbianforce.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

lesbianforce

there's an off color joke to be made here but I'm just going to walk away

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So wait, is that Tobin Bell as the dude who kidnapped Beth? Because he really sounds like Tobin Bell and it looks like they de-aged him like they did with Kate’s dad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That kid playing Beth did some really good work there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Dodgson's reason for joining up with Alice isn't wrong, but he definitely backed the wrong pony.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/carolinedries/status/1188626252174770176
So I guess that Arkham breakout was Elseworlds.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I only just noticed that Dodgson's name is... well, Dodgson.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I kept waiting for the evil guy in this episode to be revealed as the Mad Hatter as an explanation for all the Alice poo poo, but no, I guess she just really took to that book. Or maybe Professor Pyg to explain all the creepy face/skin stuff. But no, he was just a real hosed up guy I guess.

Also I get that she was basically tortured to the point of having a mental break, but it's kinda bullshit that Alice is blaming this all on Kate because she didn't feel "a twin thing" even though she totally did and Beth just didn't respond in any way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

With the vocal mimicry maybe he's this world's Clayface.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

For a moment there I thought they were working up to reveal that Alice was actually the grown-up Mouse with a face skin graft and imitating a female voice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Selachian posted:

For a moment there I thought they were working up to reveal that Alice was actually the grown-up Mouse with a face skin graft and imitating a female voice.

That would have been a far better twist, but they seem like they're pushing her into irredeemable territory now so maybe it's all kind of moot that she really is Beth.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

With the vocal mimicry maybe he's this world's Clayface.

I imagine that'd piss off a lot of fans if that was the case. "Mouse" will probably be False Face.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

That would have been a far better twist, but they seem like they're pushing her into irredeemable territory now so maybe it's all kind of moot that she really is Beth.

It would have been an interesting twist, but making the main villain a psychopathic man pretending to be a woman has all sorts of nasty implications, so I'm glad they didn't go in that direction.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God drat this plot sucks. I really hope this isn't the entire season.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I didn't mind Alice before, but the more we learn about her the more underwhelming she becomes, especially since it seems she's probably the big bad of the season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Now they've confirmed she's Beth, they should have just stopped the plot and moved onto someone else. But I feel like they're going to milk the "IT'S BETH!!!! :cry:" thing for a long time.

Also did anyone else find the scene with Mary and her mom weirdly ADR'd? The dialog was weirdly out of synch, and it was really off putting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Also did anyone else find the scene with Mary and her mom weirdly ADR'd? The dialog was weirdly out of synch, and it was really off putting.

Oh thank God I'm not the only one. That scene made me think I had DVR problems.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

It felt like they changed the dialogue after they filmed the scene so the audio didn't sync with their mouth movements.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It felt like the Dub on the Godzilla Final Wars DVD I had.

I wonder what was changed?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Where did Alice get all these disposable henchmen willing to die for her, anyway?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

Where did Alice get all these disposable henchmen willing to die for her, anyway?

It's Gotham, there's kind of surplus supply of henchmen willing to follow any given super villain without question. Also the implication in the background seems to be there's a lot of disaffected lower class youths who've basically lost everything to the rich and powerful of Gotham and would follow any charismatic figure who promised them a measure of payback.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

nine-gear crow posted:

It's Gotham, there's kind of surplus supply of henchmen willing to follow any given super villain without question. Also the implication in the background seems to be there's a lot of disaffected lower class youths who've basically lost everything to the rich and powerful of Gotham and would follow any charismatic figure who promised them a measure of payback.
Hey, wouldn't it be cool if Batwoman was fighting criminals in the poor and rich districts and trying to help people in that brooding Batman way?

You made Gotham distinctly more interesting than old Starling City and you're wasting it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

twistedmentat posted:

It felt like the Dub on the Godzilla Final Wars DVD I had.

I wonder what was changed?

Based on where they were filming I'd guess there was just a bunch of wind making the dialogue hard to hear on the original recording. They seemed to be saying the same words, it was just weirdly flat and slightly out-of-sync

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ShakeZula posted:

Based on where they were filming I'd guess there was just a bunch of wind making the dialogue hard to hear on the original recording. They seemed to be saying the same words, it was just weirdly flat and slightly out-of-sync

That's the most likely reason, it was just so jarring.

nine-gear crow posted:

This concept is way more interesting than what they're doing currently.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

twistedmentat posted:

This concept is way more interesting than what they're doing currently.

I mean, that concept kind of is what they're doing. The class divide in Gotham (and specifically the Crows' role as enforcer of that divide) has been explicitly cited by both Dodgeson and Alice as being their motivation, and when Alice gave her big speech to her henchman in the second episode that was pretty much the gist of it. It's come up in Kate's civilian storyline as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ShakeZula posted:

I mean, that concept kind of is what they're doing. The class divide in Gotham (and specifically the Crows' role as enforcer of that divide) has been explicitly cited by both Dodgeson and Alice as being their motivation, and when Alice gave her big speech to her henchman in the second episode that was pretty much the gist of it. It's come up in Kate's civilian storyline as well.

True, but its taking a back seet to Kane family drama now. Unless they reveal something else, Alice's total motivation is due to being taken from her family.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

So wait, is that Tobin Bell as the dude who kidnapped Beth? Because he really sounds like Tobin Bell and it looks like they de-aged him like they did with Kate’s dad.

Pepé Le Pew from iZombie.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I like some aspects of the show, but one of the things that makes it hardest to like for me is that every encounter between Kate and Beth ends with: "ok, nice tussling with you, see you later". Like in this episode, Kate, Alice and Sophie were armed in the Mexican stand off. That's two guns against one. I feel like there should have been at least something happening to distract Kate and Sophie, not just Alice going "ok, this is going nowhere, I'm outta here". At least have an accomplice enter the room with another gun or have Alice throw a smoke bomb or whatever to stop Kate from arresting her.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

kjetting posted:

I like some aspects of the show, but one of the things that makes it hardest to like for me is that every encounter between Kate and Beth ends with: "ok, nice tussling with you, see you later". Like in this episode, Kate, Alice and Sophie were armed in the Mexican stand off. That's two guns against one. I feel like there should have been at least something happening to distract Kate and Sophie, not just Alice going "ok, this is going nowhere, I'm outta here". At least have an accomplice enter the room with another gun or have Alice throw a smoke bomb or whatever to stop Kate from arresting her.

I'm with you 100% on this. I still enjoy the show, but Alice at this point needs to get locked up for a while in Arkham.

I think she's a fine season long villain, but she's in so much of every episode and we've got so much of her backstory at this point. There's not really any intrigue left AND she's basically irredeemable between the number of people she's killed and her motivation switching from "my dad and sister didn't come look for me" to "my dad and sister looked for me constantly and even found me but I didn't sense twin magic powers so I hate them".

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think one issue with front loading the season so much was that tehy weren't sure about getting renewed for the back half of the season iirc, so Alice's story was presumably meant to be tied up in a whole season, but even then there's just way too much of her and not enough of Gotham or anyone else. Luke, as much of a sidekick as he is, has basically gotten zero characterization. Same with the step-mother. Mary, otoh, has gotten a lot with what little she's had.

Hopefully it gets better in the back half of the season. Or maybe it'll pull a Legends and lean into an element that they should've been doing from the beginning. But at this point it's rough.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, its super annoying to have "well, i guess we'll just let her go because the plot demands we keep them around" constantly in CWDC shows. Do they think this all makes Alice sympathetic? Or feel sorry for Mouse? Oh no his face is all hosed up, we should feel okay that his father kidnapped a girl and held her against her will so he can have a friend! gently caress that.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, its super annoying to have "well, i guess we'll just let her go because the plot demands we keep them around" constantly in CWDC shows. Do they think this all makes Alice sympathetic? Or feel sorry for Mouse? Oh no his face is all hosed up, we should feel okay that his father kidnapped a girl and held her against her will so he can have a friend! gently caress that.

No. She's fundamentally broken. The "twin magic" scene was just further evidence of her constantly moving the goal posts to make everyone else feel guilty. She's stringing them along and making them second guess themselves, but this has been her game from the beginning. She's using their guilt to blind them.
She's accepted the fact that she irredeemable, but keeps them questioning themselves because it protects her and makes them sloppy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm digging this show, but like most Batman media, it's struggling to keep up with the times.

Paying lip service to real-world class struggles is nice, and having Kate try to be an ethical billionaire? Okay, I guess. But once large sections of society at large started realizing that street level criminals are the result of systemic issues and not a moral failing, the writing was on the wall that Batman might have to change and the genesis of that sea change was over fifty years ago at this point, helped along every time new voices gain footholds in the culture as the old mentality clings on for dear life and lashes out like mad every decade or so.

I'm actively rooting against every rich person on this show, and the show is like "correct, yes, they're bad," but we're still rockin' that billionaire solving the city's woes by punching the feral poors aesthetic.

From the comics on down, we need a new vision for what Batman is. Grant Morrison tried, but they rebooted the whole universe on him right toward the end.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

I'm digging this show, but like most Batman media, it's struggling to keep up with the times.

Paying lip service to real-world class struggles is nice, and having Kate try to be an ethical billionaire? Okay, I guess. But once large sections of society at large started realizing that street level criminals are the result of systemic issues and not a moral failing, the writing was on the wall that Batman might have to change and the genesis of that sea change was over fifty years ago at this point, helped along every time new voices gain footholds in the culture as the old mentality clings on for dear life and lashes out like mad every decade or so.

I'm actively rooting against every rich person on this show, and the show is like "correct, yes, they're bad," but we're still rockin' that billionaire solving the city's woes by punching the feral poors aesthetic.

From the comics on down, we need a new vision for what Batman is. Grant Morrison tried, but they rebooted the whole universe on him right toward the end.

It's the Dark Knight Rises problem all over again. Oops, we made Bane's motives actually justifiable, quick, turn him into another madman with a bomb, that'll fix everything!

This is why Hush worked really well for the brief time he was on screen--it was Kate kicking the poo poo out of an actual rear end in a top hat billionaire who was putting the lives of people he didn't actually care about at risk so he could settle a dumb personal score with another billionaire and Kate just swings in and is like "gently caress off garbage person!"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Are either Kate or her father billionaires? Running a security company seems solidly in the millionaire range. Kate seems to be doing the socialite thing, but until she said she was going to do that housing thing, she seemed pretty disowned and not rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I think by law if you take over Wayne Tower you control all the Wayne money.