Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Adam Kobel ran a AW 2e game on Roll20 and all the episodes are available to watch on Youtube.

The two video one-shot which later got turned into a campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7jim47nx8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53iuXfWHFcc

The game: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTj75n3v9eTmtwQ0CEhIRILKitKLrLohc

The behind the scenes videos where Adam does prep after each session: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTj75n3v9eTlCfRU_6v-afz-4uYsA14IF

He also did a game of 1e AW, but I found it didn't really interest me and so I have no idea how good it might be at showing the things you can learn on how to run the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kaja Rainbow posted:

So I'm thinking about doing quick custom homebrew pbta systems for future games I'll be running. Design the basic moves, agenda/principles/GM moves, stuff like that. No playbooks, instead I'll work with the players to design moves specifically for their characters. This is in part because some of my players prefer more freeform character generation than playbooks provide for.

The top of my docket is a Ranma 1/2 inspired game. Any suggestions for games to pillage for inspiration?

Well, this is an interesting situation. I guess great minds think alike. A while back, when I was in a darker place, I did make a game like this. It's not a pbta game though. It's more like a dog-eat-dog game or a quiet year game. However, I could help you. It's a little bit darker though. I was in a bit of a dark spot. But it does go for the concept of a queer take on Ranma 1/2.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zlG762QwK0rWPS7HhRDe7EqMxCx1Z6YaxRzwG2uy5i8/edit?usp=drivesdk

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

I played Bluebeard's Bride for the first time tonight. It's absolutely worth playing and very one-shot oriented. If you want to be the protagonist in an Edgar Allen Poe story, try it out

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Is there a master list of moves made for PbtA games out there? I seem to recall running into a website that had a shitton of Moves from various games (or maybe it was just DW and I wasn't looking too closely), and I could use that now for a bit of research. Any sort of online resource for Moves would be helpful.

E: Maybe I was just thinking of Class Warfare or some other supplement I looked at, but I seem to recall it being an online thing with handy-dandy dropdowns and stuff. I'll check when I get home

Appoda fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 3, 2019

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
So, how is Kult: Divinity Lost ? Anyone here played it?

From leafing through the book, it seems a "poor PbtA but nice Kult ruleset", specially if the rumors about the old editions are true..

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't mean for this to sound like a kiss-off, but the bar for "better system for Kult" is quite low. It was always better in concept than execution, and the concept still has major issues with regard to encouraging you to really push boundaries that are likely to upset people. Even though I have some friends who want to try Kult, I don't really know what to do with it.

Fascinating setting, but very very bad at giving you the "These people are your PCs, here's the stuff they have to deal with." Instead it seems to give you a setting and go "Make a horror campaign set in this world," like it's the setting bible for a horror author whose stories you haven't read.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Appoda posted:

Is there a master list of moves made for PbtA games out there? I seem to recall running into a website that had a shitton of Moves from various games (or maybe it was just DW and I wasn't looking too closely), and I could use that now for a bit of research. Any sort of online resource for Moves would be helpful.

E: Maybe I was just thinking of Class Warfare or some other supplement I looked at, but I seem to recall it being an online thing with handy-dandy dropdowns and stuff. I'll check when I get home

Speaking of which, if you're working on a PbtA hack, you absolutely want to make a spreadsheet with all of your moves. I need to put some more work in on the rules for this one, but here's what a hack's worth of moves look like in one place. I found it very handy for balancing playbooks and assigning them moves by primary and secondary stat.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fH5R4spssAqbVTU82enflvGG1wH2FV18ig6DH6BVhVg/edit?usp=sharing

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Finished reading Kult and oh boy, game looks awesome. Where was I all these years that didn't know it?

A god that vanishes giving a big gently caress YOU to the universe leaving behind 10 badass angels and their 10 dark counterparts to an all-out war for reality. Each with their own army/followers/cults and machinations for players to get entangled with as they wish, even becoming embodiments of those angels if they want (maybe even unwittingly! - John Rambo could be a disciple of Netzach the archon of subjugation...).

- Crazy cosmology that taps into real life religions? Check.
- Badass opponents to be shot in the face in bloodbaths to the tune of heavy metal in the background? Check.
- hosed up protagonists with dark secrets and evocative abilities (sometimes supernatural!*) ? Check.
- A Constantine the movie -like underground of intrigue full of supernatural movers & shakers? Check.

I'm in love.

*my favorite ability so far is the crazy chick archetype's whose madness allows her to arrive at any place in a couple minutes, even blindfolded or if the destination is kilometers away (which is countered by her Stability being handicapped so she is always on the brink of mental breakdown).

@Halloween Jack , what did you find difficulty in it? The GM chapter advises how to structure play around PCs Dark Secrets in a real nice way.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
I've just brewed this for Kult. Weirdly, there's no official charsheet in playbook format (only in the "classic" vertical format where you fill in the descriptions yourself). The problem here is that Kult has too many moves (and verbose ones!), so I'll probably need 3 pages to fit in all Advantages and Disadvantages.

Front

Back

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

lessavini posted:

I've just brewed this for Kult. Weirdly, there's no official charsheet in playbook format (only in the "classic" vertical format where you fill in the descriptions yourself). The problem here is that Kult has too many moves (and verbose ones!), so I'll probably need 3 pages to fit in all Advantages and Disadvantages.

Front

Back

This is great layout. You just made this? This looks professional.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kind of amazing that The Watch RPG can have a nice section explaining why trans women are women and trans men are men and thus the groups are affected by the Shadow as such and yet a professional comic writer cannot do so and defines all women by their ability to menstruate, literally.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

Covok posted:

This is great layout. You just made this? This looks professional.
Haha thanks. But all those GFX were already scattered around the corebook. I've just jury-rigged them together with a PDF editor.

Btw, I'm undecided between:

a) a 2-page, single-sheet playbook as per PbtA norm, to keep things simple. Or..

b) a 3/4-page, double-sheet playbook to include all details from the archetype (Kult is not a straight PbtA so it has much more bits & pieces that wouldn't fit a single sheet).

Any suggestions appreciated.

lessavini fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 13, 2019

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Simple is almost always better when it comes to character sheet layout.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
poo poo, wish I could have sheets that nice for my project. I'm scrub tier at graphic design stuff.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I never made sheets for anything. Not eve my own game. I am grape jelly for those sheets.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
poo poo, there's gotta be at least a dozen graphic design goons floating around here. Is there a thread for writers looking for that sort of help?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hmm. Turning over hack ideas. Check me on this?

Hot (Drama, Suggestion, Rhetoric, Electrochemistry)
Cool (Volition, Endurance, Composure, Savoir Faire, Reaction Speed)
Hard (Authority, Physical Instrument, Pain Tolerance, Half-Light, Hand-Eye Coordination)
Sharp (Logic, Visual Calculus, Empathy, Perception, Interfacing)
Weird (Conceptualization, Encyclopedia, Inland Empire, Espirit de Corps, Shivers)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm not sure how a Disco Elysium PbtA hack would work, but sign me up.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
ok, finished the Kult playbook.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-INY5oa0W1FrV0bfD9Jp7n-BJfyoVoV_

Had to make it 4-page (2 sheets) due to the game's many moving parts, but it went nice I guess.

I'm open to suggestions, specially about the order of pages for better usability at the table. Thanks in advance.

@BlackIronHeart , sorry but I'm not really a designer (more of a jury-rigger), so I can't help. But if you find out some designers hideout around here, lemme know.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

lessavini posted:

ok, finished the Kult playbook.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-INY5oa0W1FrV0bfD9Jp7n-BJfyoVoV_

Had to make it 4-page (2 sheets) due to the game's many moving parts, but it went nice I guess.

I'm open to suggestions, specially about the order of pages for better usability at the table. Thanks in advance.

@BlackIronHeart , sorry but I'm not really a designer (more of a jury-rigger), so I can't help. But if you find out some designers hideout around here, lemme know.

Don't know if you're aware of it, but I'm an admin in one of two Kult discords I'm aware of, and the more active one. Get on in here if you got it: https://discord.gg/sdUnD3

The F&F archives also have a review of K:DL, but imo it's a really bad faith take that willfully disengages with both Kult AND PbtA, so it's better skipped unless you want a dissenting opinion.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Glazius posted:

Hmm. Turning over hack ideas. Check me on this?

Hot (Drama, Suggestion, Rhetoric, Electrochemistry)
Cool (Volition, Endurance, Composure, Savoir Faire, Reaction Speed)
Hard (Authority, Physical Instrument, Pain Tolerance, Half-Light, Hand-Eye Coordination)
Sharp (Logic, Visual Calculus, Empathy, Perception, Interfacing)
Weird (Conceptualization, Encyclopedia, Inland Empire, Espirit de Corps, Shivers)

Esprit de Corps might be Hot, Encyclopedia is probably Sharp, Half-Light could be Weird, and HAnd-Eye coordination is definitely right between Hard and Cool. In the actual game its used slightly more often for hard actions than cool actions, but not by much.

Alt: base the game around 'signature skill' ideas, 2 per category, orient around suggestion cop, electrochemistry cop, hand-eye cop, visual calculus cop.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Don't know if you're aware of it, but I'm an admin in one of two Kult discords I'm aware of, and the more active one. Get on in here if you got it: https://discord.gg/sdUnD3

The F&F archives also have a review of K:DL, but imo it's a really bad faith take that willfully disengages with both Kult AND PbtA, so it's better skipped unless you want a dissenting opinion.
That's cool, I'll pay it a visit. Thanks!

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Another Rhapsody of Blood question: if an explorer fails to Strike when fighting an Acolyte, is the Opening still there or do they need to make a new one?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Double Plus Undead posted:

Another Rhapsody of Blood question: if an explorer fails to Strike when fighting an Acolyte, is the Opening still there or do they need to make a new one?

It’s still there, unless when it was set up (by Line It Up, at least) the player picked that it was temporary and fleeting.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So I want to play Tremulus - I'm hankering for a rules-lite story game for weird fiction-y stuff. I have very little PbtA experience (one brief PbP game as a player, seemed cool).

From what I understand, playbooks and their action sets are absolutely critical to pushing the themes and conventions of a game, they necessarily give a game its shape.

From what I also understand, the standard actions in Tremulus are very generic and could use with an overhaul more in keeping with eldritch horror.

So if I were to hack and make my own Tremulus variant (or even a full on new PbtA thing) would it be as simple as having detect eldritch magic (roll + sharp) supplant read a person (roll + sharp)? What mechanically should I look for and avoid in designing/redesigning playbooks?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Or should I just accept my fate and use Black Stars Rise or Lovecraftesque?

Counsel me you schweens

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 21, 2019

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Flavivirus posted:

It’s still there, unless when it was set up (by Line It Up, at least) the player picked that it was temporary and fleeting.

Ah, thanks!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

lessavini posted:

@Halloween Jack , what did you find difficulty in it? The GM chapter advises how to structure play around PCs Dark Secrets in a real nice way.
I'll use Vampire as a point of comparison. Vampire talks up "personal horror" and encourages you to build your game around that. But it also gives you social structure and material concerns to band the PCs together and set them against others. Your PCs can be very different people with very different concerns, but they'll usually stick together and have overriding common goals, because that's how coteries work.

Kult is like "So you play hosed-up characters with Dark Secrets who come together as a group for...reasons. Here's a big detailed setting. Tell stories built around the Dark Secrets in this setting."

Also, this is perhaps not the fault of the game per se, but the Awakening/Mental Balance system has always been talked up to me as a cornerstone of the system. It's something that's actually kinda hard to engage with, and can really get in the way of the group's activities. Your PC stops being playable long before you reach Awakening. It was badly done, and strikes me as something you should either build the campaign around or just not touch at all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So, what PBTA game has the best combat moves? So far I've played Dungeon World and Monster of the Week.

Dungeon World I felt had OK basic combat moves, but I don't like the hitpoints and damage rolls since they mean you can succeed on your attack and still do nothing.

Monster of the Week I disliked because it feels wrong to get hit regardless of how well you roll (especially with a ranged weapon), and armour rules meaning you can screw up a fighting move and take no damage or other disadvantage as a result.

Is there a PBTA for me? It feels like a total success on a combat move should mean victory with no loss (EG: Damage the enemy in some way, don't get damaged at all yourself) while mixed success might be the "exchange harm" type stuff I see in Monster of the Week and Apocalypse World.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gort posted:

Is there a PBTA for me? It feels like a total success on a combat move should mean victory with no loss (EG: Damage the enemy in some way, don't get damaged at all yourself) while mixed success might be the "exchange harm" type stuff I see in Monster of the Week and Apocalypse World.

Monsterhearts. Also if you go into a fight prepared in Apocalypse World and roll well it's pretty easy to reduce most incoming fire to 0 harm. The problem with the 10+ rolls that you might have spotted is that the MC (and hence the bad guys) don't get to roll at all, so there need to be threats even if you never roll.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Fellowship :colbert:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Gort posted:

It depends on the game. Monster of the Week has it that way because the monsters you fight are very deadly. You're not supposed to just go in fighting them on equal ground - even with 10s, you'll get worn down. Likewise, Seizing By Force in Apocalypse World is both of you getting your blows in on each other and that's dangerous. Unless you're the Gunlugger or Faceless, SBF means you're willing to take Harm to achieve your goal and maybe you'll be able to reduce a bit of it if you roll well. If you don't want to take Harm, get in a position to Go Aggro or even Sucker Someone first.

Other games, like Monsterhearts or Urban Shadows, do let you hurt people and not get hurt on a 10+. Masks lets you choose to not get hurt on a 7-9, but you have to forgo the other benefits you could get.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Being able to reliably inflict one-sided Harm should be the result of planning, not rolling. :colbert:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I like speed of 77 for having the combat moves be “deliver a beat down“ or “smoke his rear end“.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Gort posted:

So, what PBTA game has the best combat moves? So far I've played Dungeon World and Monster of the Week.

Dungeon World I felt had OK basic combat moves, but I don't like the hitpoints and damage rolls since they mean you can succeed on your attack and still do nothing.

Monster of the Week I disliked because it feels wrong to get hit regardless of how well you roll (especially with a ranged weapon), and armour rules meaning you can screw up a fighting move and take no damage or other disadvantage as a result.

I feel like there's a subtle difference in scale in PbtA moves vs older games. If you think of rolling Seize by Force as equivalent to a D&D to-hit roll, then yeah, I totally get that it seems stupid that you automatically get hit back. If you think of it as abstracting a half-dozen old school turns into a scuffle, it makes a little more sense. I don't play much D&D, but if the opposition gets 4-6 turns to try to hit you, how often are they really going to miss every single one? It seems pretty unlikely that a PC would make it through enough turns to settle the object of the fight (take definite hold of it), punish the enemy until they fail a morale check (dismay, impress, or frighten your enemy), or just plain beat them down, without ever once taking a point of damage.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I'm developing a PBTA game where you can learn the kamehameha so basically what I'm saying here is that I'm confident to take the title of "best combat moves" when it's complete.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Gort posted:

Bear in mind that in PBTA, an entire combat encounter in other games is usually compressed into one or two rolls. (The exceptions are typically massive ongoing battles, like the road war moves in AW.) How often do you one-shot a combat encounter without taking any damage or expending any resources in other games?

PBTA also emphasizes naming every character, even if they're pretty one-dimensional. So you're not rolling for each guy you take out unless that guy is at least kinda important. If you're fighting a dozen mooks, it's treated as a single (if overwhelming) challenge, and you have rules like AW's rule for fighting a gang.

A dedicated combat playbook like AW's Gunlugger can indeed walk away from a lot of fights with little or no Harm. But for almost everybody,

Ilor posted:

Being able to reliably inflict one-sided Harm should be the result of planning, not rolling. :colbert:
And even the planning part--like working your way into a sniper position, or setting up an ambush, can be abstracted into a single Move. So it's not some vague process of playing Mother May I with the MC.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My worst thing as a GM, and that's not an easy title to win, is failing to notice when it's time to waive the fight and just say, "oh crap, yeah, you just killed that guy a lot." It's not fatal to a session but I think skipping over a whole fight scene against someone who has no chance of winning ends up being better for pacing and drama.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
In some games, like cartel which focuses on emotional consequences, attacking a helpless foe can still have drawbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
There's another distinction between 1st Edition AW and 2nd Edition AW, which is that in AW1 you had the "peripheral battle moves." These entailed a "battle" situation where there was a mechanical system for applying Harm at every tick of the clock, and most of the peripheral moves were about altering or mitigating this automatic Harm. AW2 dispensed with this, and instead Vincent's advice is that invoking the AW2 "battle moves" simply means that now you're "in battle," and that this means the consequences should be more dire and "pushed off into the snowball." I've come to understand what he was going for here (mostly from lengthy discussions about it on the sadly-defunct AW forums), but my biggest complaint about AW2 as a ruleset is that this "in battle" concept isn't really ever explained or demonstrated in the rulebook itself.

I also think that the "take definite hold of it" option under seize by force works best when the thing you're seizing is very well-defined and granular in nature. You want to take definite hold of the briefcase handcuffed to Roflball's arm? Awesome, you chop the dude's hand off, though in the process he stabs you a couple of times." But now, having invoked a battle move you are "in battle." So sure, you've got the briefcase, and maybe Rolfball is now lying on the ground cradling his bleeding stump - but all hell has broken loose and Rolfball's guys are shooting and yelling and your guys are shooting and yelling and it's utter loving pandemonium. What do you do?

You certainly can have an entire battle decided from start to finish in a single roll to seize by force, but I think much of the scope of the move is going to depend on the fictional position and the pace of the story.