Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Steakandchips posted:

I really want some heated gloves but loving hell the prices on them...

They are worth every dollar you spend on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Rode highways for over an hour, focusing on gripping as lightly as possible. Much less trouble, still a bit of a weird feeling in my hand and wrist. Think I figured a couple of things out though.

First, yes, I am still gripping too tight. Forcing myself to relax (weird phrase) and have a lighter touch helped a lot.

Second, in order to make a straighter line with my forearm/wrist/hand, I need to hold my elbows closer in to my sides.. Perhaps wider bars would help, but I think I can do this just be re-learning posture.

Third, my gloves are definitely too big, which is causing me to tighten my grip every time the leather slips around between my fingers/palm and the throttle. Took my glove off (yeah I know), problem didn't disappear but became heaps better. Put my glove back on, problem reappeared. The shop assistant where I bought them told me they were the right size, but having checked the manufacturer's size chart and measured my hand, I find that I should probably have gone with L or XL, and almost certainly not a 2XL. So new gloves this weekend when I go to the city. I'm gonna try on a bunch, but I like the look of Dainese Blackjacks.

Do you do the thing where you shake your arms to see if they’re all floppy? They should be. Try doing that and see if it helps with loosening your grip further.

You should grasp the throttle like it is the handle of a screwdriver where the tip is pointing into the bars. This means your elbows will be way further out. Look, for example, at all these dudes.
[img] https://i.imgur.com/ak8ZJRs.jpg[/img]

Their elbows are way in the air.

Having properly fitted gear is so important. I personally like [url= https://www.racerglovesusa.com/collections/mens-motorcycle-gloves ]racer gloves[/url] but there are a bunch of brands out there that are good and fit is definitely #1.

Kastivich posted:

They are worth every dollar you spend on them.

Well worth it at twice the price.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Talkin’ about a Suzuki SV650. Good bike? I may look into hunting one down when I do get to that point where I can sensibly upgrade.
I haven’t ridden one but the SV650 is widely recommended as a well-rounded do-anything second bike. Here’s a typical review, if a bit more breathless than most: https://jalopnik.com/the-suzuki-sv650-is-the-answer-to-everything-on-two-whe-1790626299

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

I haven’t ridden one but the SV650 is widely recommended as a well-rounded do-anything second bike. Here’s a typical review, if a bit more breathless than most: https://jalopnik.com/the-suzuki-sv650-is-the-answer-to-everything-on-two-whe-1790626299

From best to worst:

MT07
Sv650
Ninja 650
Cbr650

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The Honda is so pretty tho

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

From best to worst:

MT07

I don't see myself looking for something else for a very long time. I love mine.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

builds character posted:

Do you do the thing where you shake your arms to see if they’re all floppy? They should be. Try doing that and see if it helps with loosening your grip further.

Seconding this, it's a test that helped me when I was first on the freeway and stiff arming the bike.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was pleased to see that I fell into this habit by the end of the season. Still not perfect inasmuch as I'm still stiff-arming, but I find myself doing the shake every few minutes.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rode for like 6 hours today.

Went into the mountains.

It was intense, but I didn't die. After maybe 20 minutes I was zooming around corners having a shitload of fun. Descending was harder than going up. I'm never going to be able to stop doing this now.

E: Yeah, I've been flapping my arms. Also focusing on gripping with me knees and being very gentle hyolding the bars. No pain or numbness in the turns or around the towns today, only on the long straight highway sections. Alleviated it by adjusting my speed up and down every couple minutes, taking my hand off the throttle every 10 minutes and shaking it out, and repositioning my hand on the bar frequently. Given that it's only happening after 20-30 minutes at a constant high speed, I'm starting to think it's the unchanging vibration of holding the same RPM that's causing it, and that my throttle hand is affected more because of an old arm/shoulder injury.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 5, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bah, had my bike towed today. While my regular parking spot is technically illegal, I've only gotten one ticket this year and have seen the parking wardens walk past and ignore it multiple times.
I don't mind the odd ticket, but this kinda sucked. Luckily the impound is only 10 mins walk from my home.
Still..With 2 tickets + getting it released from the impound, I'm still looking at less than $1/day for parking for the year.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I park not-right in my parking garage but the motorcycle spaces are unlit, on a hill and directly around a corner where you might get hit while backing into a space because everyone here drives their suburban luxury tanks way too fast. People who park in them also have had their bikes stolen more than once.

I’ve been having a problem with pain in my left hand the day after long rides in city traffic, not from gripping the bars but from how far I have to reach with my fingers to squeeze the clutch lever, which is already pretty stiff. Is it normal to swap out a stock clutch handle for something with adjustable play?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

I park not-right in my parking garage but the motorcycle spaces are unlit, on a hill and directly around a corner where you might get hit while backing into a space because everyone here drives their suburban luxury tanks way too fast. People who park in them also have had their bikes stolen more than once.

I’ve been having a problem with pain in my left hand the day after long rides in city traffic, not from gripping the bars but from how far I have to reach with my fingers to squeeze the clutch lever, which is already pretty stiff. Is it normal to swap out a stock clutch handle for something with adjustable play?

They all have adjustable play my dude, you can slack off the cable adjustment somewhat to do what you're asking but it's not an ideal way.

The ideal way is replacing the levers with aftermarket adjustables. Unfortunately decent levers cost hundreds of dollars, the only alternative is the ubiquitous $25 eBay adjustables; despite having them on my bike I don't recommend them as the clutch pivot-cable eye distance is always wrong, the brake MC cam is always wrong so they feel funny on most bikes out there.

Here's a pro tip: halve your clutch usage by only using it on downshifts. Makes riding way smoother and more fun too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: IDK wtf.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Descending was harder than going up.

I think everyone finds that's the case, you can modulate speed easier on the uphill just by using the throttle, among other reasons. I had to learn in an area that's all hills, including some steep downhills, and while they sucked at first, you'll get used to it.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
It's hard to keep your torso upright just with your core on a downhill grade :'(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

I think everyone finds that's the case, you can modulate speed easier on the uphill just by using the throttle, among other reasons. I had to learn in an area that's all hills, including some steep downhills, and while they sucked at first, you'll get used to it.

I still struggle with this because going uphill gives such a reassuringly loaded feel from the front and rear, whereas downhill feels like I've got no grip at all.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

help I haven't been on my motorcycle in 24 hours I think I'm in withdrawal

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
And that's why I got a small winter bike and winter gear. I can't handle not riding from mid october to late march..

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Supradog posted:

And that's why I got a small winter bike and winter gear. I can't handle not riding from mid october to late march..

WR250R with studded tires with ACAB stenciled on 'em?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

FBS posted:

help I haven't been on my motorcycle in 24 hours I think I'm in withdrawal

Your back on a bike and the weather is going to be absolute crap, though the weekend should be clearish, maybe.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Mirconium posted:

WR250R with studded tires with ACAB stenciled on 'em?

close, nx250

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That kicks rear end. Where do you live?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Supradog? I'm surprised he bothered with all that winter bike gear stuff. He probably gets snow like once or twice a year, where he lives.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yeah nah, Oslo, Norway do get snow, but not usually not until after new year. If you wanna go anywhere interesting though it may be snowy from mid November. Frost and salted roads is another thing entirely and that's everywhere here from late October. You don't want salt on your pretty summer road bike.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 6, 2019

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Rode for like 6 hours today. I'm never going to be able to stop doing this now.

Isn't that the most awesome feeling? I remember when I was first starting went on some long rides and felt like I was doing the most glorious thing and thinking, "why didn't more people do this?"

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Moral_Hazard posted:

Isn't that the most awesome feeling? I remember when I was first starting went on some long rides and felt like I was doing the most glorious thing and thinking, "why didn't more people do this?"

Honestly the last hour was very loving tough to get through (it's >1 hour of straight boring highway from my town to anything) and if there was nothing interesting on the other end I wouldn't want to do it, especially when tired out. The first 5 hours were ok through great though, and the turns... holy poo poo, it's a good feeling.

If my plans come together then from next year I'll be about 20 minutes from the Great Ocean Road on the non-city side which will be much different.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 6, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been riding a couple months now and I’m pretty sure I’m ready for a liter because this is calling me.

I’d have 2500 miles to learn how to ride it before I got home.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

I’ve been riding a couple months now and I’m pretty sure I’m ready for a liter because this is calling me.

I’d have 2500 miles to learn how to ride it before I got home.

Guuuuuh the colours alone are worth it, absurd mileage a bonus.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

80s and early 90s sportbikes are the best. FZR400 still top 2 for me.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just got a new (to me) motorcycle.

Honda CBF 125 2014 in red:

This should help me get some practice while I work on getting my unrestricted A license.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I rode the faired version during my rider training. Really enjoyed it. ‘Grats!

I remember I was virtually never able to find neutral on it. Even the instructors told me to kill the engine and then shift up to N and re-start it to save hassle. That’s my only negative comment.

E: and of course during the actual practical test I found neutral instead of 2nd while doing a timed event :P

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 7, 2019

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah that's what I rode for my initial training too. I couldn't find neutral either. Even the instructor missed it a couple of times. But the bikes were visibly beat to poo poo and I don't imagine they were all that well maintained. So much fun though.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I rode the faired version during my rider training. Really enjoyed it. ‘Grats!

I remember I was virtually never able to find neutral on it. Even the instructors told me to kill the engine and then shift up to N and re-start it to save hassle. That’s my only negative comment.

E: and of course during the actual practical test I found neutral instead of 2nd while doing a timed event :P

Thanks mate. Haha, yes, I hope I'll be able to find Neutral on it!

I haven't actually ridden it yet since the place I bought it from doesn't do test rides (annoying, but this is only an issue for this first bike, once I have my full license, I'm more than happy to ride further away to other shops that do offer test rides).

FYI, while learning for my CBT, I rode a Sinnis 125.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Yeah that's what I rode for my initial training too. I couldn't find neutral either. Even the instructor missed it a couple of times. But the bikes were visibly beat to poo poo and I don't imagine they were all that well maintained. So much fun though.

My training bike would not shift into neutral from first. You had to shift up to second, roll the bike forward just a bit and gently tap down.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rode for an hour doing figure 8s, U turns, slow ride, emergency stop, practiced rev matching on downshift, etc. Then went round the busy part of town at the busy time of day to ride in traffic which was kinda scary.

Booked in the next part of the learner process for 2 weeks away.

No hand or wrist pain at all despite me constantly catching myself white knuckling it. Weird.

E: Also changed the oil and oil filter yesterday. So much loving easier than on any car I've ever done it on.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 8, 2019

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It's more taxing on the hand and wrist to hold a static position against a slight load for a long time than constantly changing it up while gripping more tightly. Doesn't mean you should be gripping too tightly, of course.

My riding school bike had a clutch so heavy my left hand would be numb after like 10 minutes of low speed exercises. (in Norway, our riding test includes a slow section that requires the bike to travel slower than it would at idle in 1st gear, to test for clutch+throttle control and low speed balance).

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

pun pundit posted:

It's more taxing on the hand and wrist to hold a static position against a slight load for a long time than constantly changing it up while gripping more tightly. Doesn't mean you should be gripping too tightly, of course.

My riding school bike had a clutch so heavy my left hand would be numb after like 10 minutes of low speed exercises. (in Norway, our riding test includes a slow section that requires the bike to travel slower than it would at idle in 1st gear, to test for clutch+throttle control and low speed balance).

Same in Finland, that was fun in sub 10 degrees celsius and rain when I was practicing it, but aced it in the test.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pun pundit posted:

I remember having to do this on an ex250 with a clapped out clutch basket. The pull was fine but it has no friction zone, just totally binary on or off.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Do learner bikes really creep at all though? Most 250s I know would just stall at idle in 1st...

Or is the concept that there is a "theoretical" speed at which it would creep judging by the final drive ratio, and then you're supposed to get to it by feathering the clutch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If I let my clutch out super super slowly I can sometimes get the bike to creep in 1st for like 20 or 30 metres before it stalls.