Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Cillizza and Russillo have the same consanant-vowel pattern. In this essay, I will show that nobody should ever listen to either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

afaik the “stick to sports” mandate was really about not criticizing g/o’s internal practices especially w/r/t advertising (which, by the way, does make every gmg website a fuckin nightmare to read)

i also remember some nonsense about listicles and slideshows (which iirc is how we got that classic rock bands ranked article) and they also put in autoplay videos which literally no one but advertisers likes

Classic Rock, Ranked was a pretty classic Deadspin blog. One of the writers has mentioned before that any time they talk about something in Slack for more than 20 minutes, they blog about it to justify it as “work.” That’s also why they would occasionally just post a cool YouTube video and go “look at this poo poo!”

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

habeasdorkus posted:

It's entirely possible that Maidment was just loving terrible at his job, couldn't get Spanfeller to budge on the stick to sports thing because Spanfeller is a constantly falling upwards failson, and quit because gently caress dealing with this poo poo and blowback that he was too inept to understand and prevent. One thing in the Hang Up and Listen episode is that Greenwell protected her staff from a LOT of poo poo on the "Stick to Spurtz" front, so that they weren't fully aware of how hard it was coming down from above.

The website itself was profitable. It was losing money because of the debt the Gawker websites got saddled with from Univision. Which is why levering your company to the hilt is usually a really bad idea even with continued crazy low interest rates... but everyone does it because of how cheap it is to borrow and the tax advantages of doing so and the idea that they know how to massively grow their companies to make all that debt not an issue. loving capitalists never learn.

It’s not their money. They use other people’s money to buy an entity; if it booms for a couple years, they clean out the revenue for themselves; when it goes bankrupt, they don’t personally lose a nickel; the entity dies and they jaunt away, whistling, with their loot. On to the next!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

R.D. Mangles posted:

You can read it with a free "basic" subscription.

Oh. I have one of those!

Eric the Mauve posted:

It’s not their money. They use other people’s money to buy an entity; if it booms for a couple years, they clean out the revenue for themselves; when it goes bankrupt, they don’t personally lose a nickel; the entity dies and they jaunt away, whistling, with their loot. On to the next!

I mean, yeah, but it's no way to run a railroad...

Wait, no, that's also how they ran railroads.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

wish this was just a way to get some big time maga-chud heat but in reality Jericho likely sees himself as a Joe Rogan podcaster who is "just asking questions" and providing a "platform for different ideas." I love Jericho but the only episode I really enjoyed was the one with the Flat Earther (not Kyrie, some guy who made videos). That was good poo poo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

euphronius posted:

Noo
Noooooooooooo

Execute episode 66

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

afaik the “stick to sports” mandate was really about not criticizing g/o’s internal practices especially w/r/t advertising (which, by the way, does make every gmg website a fuckin nightmare to read)

i also remember some nonsense about listicles and slideshows (which iirc is how we got that classic rock bands ranked article) and they also put in autoplay videos which literally no one but advertisers likes

I vaguely remember when Greenwell left, Magary mentioned what happened to Kissing Suzy Kolber once Uproxx took it over - that could be why the staffers put up such a fight, given KSK's connection to Deadspin.
It was probably Spanfeller's goal - a boring site with steady traffic.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 6, 2019

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The X-man cometh posted:

I vaguely remember when Greenwell left, Magary mentioned what happened to Kissing Suzy Kolber once Uproxx took it over - that could be why the staffers put up such a fight, given KSK's connection to Deadspin.
It was probably Spanfeller's goal - a boring site with steady traffic.

Spanfeller's goal was to become ESPN, because he is insane

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Just realized we’ll never get to see Gruden’s final shade of red. How tragic.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

God drat you, Chris Jericho. You really are Judas.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

Advertisers don't like auto play video, auto play videos are used to falsely increase impressions and bilk advertisers with fake statistics.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dinosaurs! posted:

Just realized we’ll never get to see Gruden’s final shade of red. How tragic.

Ahem

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

this was legit one of their best running gags

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

A valuable resource

https://twitter.com/AlbertBurneko/status/1192166930163077128

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

BWV posted:

wish this was just a way to get some big time maga-chud heat but in reality Jericho likely sees himself as a Joe Rogan podcaster who is "just asking questions" and providing a "platform for different ideas." I love Jericho but the only episode I really enjoyed was the one with the Flat Earther (not Kyrie, some guy who made videos). That was good poo poo.

i noticed some episodes have roganesque guests so i shouldn't be that surprised

still sucks

already over 10,000 followers

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus Christ, Jericho, get off the sauce. You are puffier than you've ever been. Your gut is thisclose to popping off buttons from your shirt.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

habeasdorkus posted:

I mean, yeah, but it's no way to run a railroad...

Wait, no, that's also how they ran railroads.

They still run them that way.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my favorite dumb bill simmons quirk is that he's still putting "2.0" on everything even though no one has used that in at least 5 years which is 8 eternities in internet years

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Chris Jericho talking about how scary chimps are.

https://twitter.com/genna_buck/status/1192071690865594368

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 7, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

my favorite dumb bill simmons quirk is that he's still putting "2.0" on everything even though no one has used that in at least 5 years which is 8 eternities in internet years

Has he unveiled Nephew 2.0 yet?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i sincerely wish bill simmons still wrote columns, i genuinely enjoyed reading them and just cackling at his weird-rear end takes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

R.D. Mangles posted:

i sincerely wish bill simmons still wrote columns, i genuinely enjoyed reading them and just cackling at his weird-rear end takes

He was a funny and engaging writer even (especially?) when he was stupid which was most of the time

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

R.D. Mangles posted:

He was legitimately really good in the early 2000s when all he did was watch sports and write columns

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BWV posted:

Jericho likely sees himself as a Joe Rogan podcaster w

"Have you tried DDT?"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Glumslinger posted:

He was legitimately really good in the early 2000s when all he did was watch sports and write columns

unironically looked forward to the trade deadline column every year when i was a teenager and still think “Theo Ratliff’s Expiring Contract” is a clever bit that sort of lampooned asset driven management before that was really a thing

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Simmons also turned out to have a really good eye for writing talent, Grantland was packed with fantastic writers who did excellent work. For all the, mostly deserved, stick he gets he's still got a solidly positive Writer Above Replacement stat for his career.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Does Bill have a Kevin Smith-esque "midlife crisis, become obsessed with weed" phase coming on, or is he already there and just keeping it to himself?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Does Bill have a Kevin Smith-esque "midlife crisis, become obsessed with weed" phase coming on, or is he already there and just keeping it to himself?

He talks about weed a lot

The Glumslinger posted:

Those columns are all really loving bad, it just seemed fresh at the time because it was a perspective people weren't writing from for major outlets. I think his page 2 archive is still around, you can check them out. They suck. It's the bad opinions he has always had coupled with the same four or five jokes and references over and over and over

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

He talks about weed a lot

It's not s new thing, either, he's talked a couple times in his NBA book and columns about how he took a year off from school to be a bartender and how he smoked a ton of weed during that time

Of course, it's Simmons, so that probably means he smoked, like, a couple joints

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MourningView posted:

Those columns are all really loving bad, it just seemed fresh at the time because it was a perspective people weren't writing from for major outlets. I think his page 2 archive is still around, you can check them out. They suck. It's the bad opinions he has always had coupled with the same four or five jokes and references over and over and over

I took a memory-lane stroll through his old page 2 archive a few months ago, and yeah this is basically right, sorry to say.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I took a memory-lane stroll through his old page 2 archive a few months ago, and yeah this is basically right, sorry to say.

I did the same maybe a year ago, and :agreed:

It actually made me kind of embarrassed to remember just how closely I followed his work back then.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean the alternative at the time was Rick Reilly or local writer pieces and just upscaling the pop culture references by twenty years was a godsend. (oh word, you can compare a sports thing to an 80's movie instead of a 60's rock band?).

He's been lapped since, but at the time, I'd argue his style was novel and welcome.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kalli posted:

He's been lapped since, but at the time, I'd argue his style was novel and welcome.
He was the first major sportswriter to incorporate changes in the ways people engaged with sports (through gambling, fantasy leagues, video games, and having strong opinions about sports announcers, among other things), which made his writing seem much more relatable than the traditional sportswriter's Olympian-voice-from-nowhere approach.

e: He was also very early on the analytics train, at a time when most sportswriters were more "you can't measure a player's HEART with a spreadsheet, nerdlinger"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FMguru posted:

e: He was also very early on the analytics train, at a time when most sportswriters were more "you can't measure a player's HEART with a spreadsheet, nerdlinger"

What? He got mad about it in baseball all the time back when he still wrote about that and still regularly throws a fit if someone brings up stats that contradict any basketball opinion he formed while watching the three NBA games a year he watches now

E: he called Robert Horry one of the like 80 best basketball players of all time in his book

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 7, 2019

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah Simmons has warts and almost nothing looks good when viewed through the lens of history but let’s not undersell how novel and welcome he was.

Unfortunately I can map out a web in my mind that shows how the seismic shift in sports coverage he caused/vanguarded resulted in Barstool Sports, so in the end he sucks rear end and deserves death.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Simmons (and others on the internet at the time) shifted the discourse away from game stories and human interest pieces towards more casual, sports radio-esque and fan-centric sports argument—and because it was more casual, it naturally brought in things like gambling, fantasy, and pop culture. In that sense he used a lot of stats (rudimentary and probably incorrect now) to prove why team/player X was better than team/player Y. Although this type of column seems obvious now (I mean it's basically just blogging), this was a pretty big shift in that you'd rarely see the older generation of writers actually take up space in a printed magazine to tell you that the 2001 Lakers might have lost to the 1996 Chicago Bulls.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FMguru posted:

He was the first major sportswriter to incorporate changes in the ways people engaged with sports (through gambling, fantasy leagues, video games, and having strong opinions about sports announcers, among other things), which made his writing seem much more relatable than the traditional sportswriter's Olympian-voice-from-nowhere approach.

This part was what did it for me. Fantasy was sorta gaining traction but the fact that he'd talk about a guy being a Madden-all-star or give gambling advice for a sports fan(not a gambling addict) really made him stand out. I'd still argue he's a very easy writer to read, even if his opinions were bad and his writing devices were very redundant and shallow.

FMguru posted:

I'm not sure I'd say this, although he did talk about analytics at a time when ESPN writers in particular wouldn't. Simmons was able to disagree with something but still write about, which was nice. So I'll give him credit for engaging with analytics even if he was a stuck in his ways.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah Simmons has warts and almost nothing looks good when viewed through the lens of history but let’s not undersell how novel and welcome he was.

Unfortunately I can map out a web in my mind that shows how the seismic shift in sports coverage he caused/vanguarded resulted in Barstool Sports, so in the end he sucks rear end and deserves death.

It bothers me greatly that somewhere on the internet is a bad website that dumb people enjoy.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MourningView posted:

What? He got mad about it in baseball all the time back when he still wrote about that and still regularly throws a fit if someone brings up stats that contradict any basketball opinion he formed while watching the three NBA games a year he watches now

E: he called Robert Horry one of the like 80 best basketball players of all time in his book
I just remember being more willing to reference stats like VORP and WHIP and DVOA at a time when most sportswriters were still trotting out Wins and RBIs. He's never been a full stathead, as anyone who has ever heard him do his "body language doctor" routine or argue that the "energy in the building" determines the outcome of playoff games can testify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

General Dog posted:

It bothers me greatly that somewhere on the internet is a bad website that dumb people enjoy.

Considering their idiot readers harass my friends, egged on by Portnoy and company, it does bother me!