Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

bloody ghost titty posted:

What kind of blender do you use for the emulsification? I’ve always made coarse sausage and wouldn’t know where to begin making a paste.

Yeah I don’t, I use a food processor and do it in small batches. Typing “blend” was a misnomer. But you have to purée that poo poo in the food processor forever while adding ice to keep it cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EDIT:

Delayed double post due to SA hosting weirdness.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 3, 2019

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Aw Narayana Reddy of Grandpa Kitchen passed away. Seriously my favorite YouTube cooking show and all the recipes are delicious. and he cooked these communal meals for his village.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Liquid Communism posted:

He seems like a lot less of an rear end in a top hat since his divorce and remarriage. I think he's just very Type-A and was just miserable and taking it out on the world.

Quitting drinking for a year also really thawed him out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

al-azad posted:

Aw Narayana Reddy of Grandpa Kitchen passed away. Seriously my favorite YouTube cooking show and all the recipes are delicious. and he cooked these communal meals for his village.

That dude was a cool dude

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJTFxMxHi34

If nobody makes a holiday cooking thread I’ll probably make one tonight

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJTFxMxHi34

If nobody makes a holiday cooking thread I’ll probably make one tonight

I love the lemon seed just running into that mashed potato butter.

I am curious about a turkey confit.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

More changes at SE, and 100% more sponsored BS.
new header bar:

And now they're going hard on "dining out" because clearly, all we've been going to SE for is "where to eat" in places we don't live:

It was good while it lasted.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
It basically lasted until Kenji went lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Serious Eats was never worth anything outside of Kenji, it doesnt really change how I use the website.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

No Wave posted:

Serious Eats was never worth anything outside of Kenji, it doesnt really change how I use the website.

I hate when I grab a recipe off there, then see it was from some other untrusted rando and not Kenji. I generally realize that when the ingredients lack fish sauce.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

There's roughly 4 names I trust from SE:

Kenji, Daniel, Sohla (now at BA), and Stella.

Anyone else and there's a solid chance the recipe is fundamentally broken. Even more so if the recipe is older than 2014ish.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Kenji's risotto recipe is so good but then he folds whipped cream into it at the end. Guy can't help himself.

His cassoulet's great but I think the piece he's missing is that it should be cooked in a dutch oven lid on under a broiler. Unfortunately my broiler is broken so I can't prove it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Kenji's risotto recipe is so good but then he folds whipped cream into it at the end. Guy can't help himself.

The gently caress

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The gently caress

"I like to whip my cream first to introduce a bit of air into the mix for a lighter risotto"

So at least it's not like it is sweetened cream.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

No Wave posted:

His cassoulet's great but I think the piece he's missing is that it should be cooked in a dutch oven lid on under a broiler. Unfortunately my broiler is broken so I can't prove it.

My broiler has been broken for like 2 years and I just keep buying bigger and better torches. I should just get it fixed eventually. Or borrow my brother's Boring Company not-flamethrower.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

No Wave posted:

I will go to my grave saying that Kenjis' vegan risotto (using miso and sake) is better than most 'standard' risottos, up to and including his regular one. It's so loving stupid good and I could eat it like six days a week for a year and never get tired (the one day off is the 24 hours straight I spend sleeping from my all-risotto diet)

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/pressure-cooker-miso-risotto-recipe.html

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Nephzinho posted:

My broiler has been broken for like 2 years and I just keep buying bigger and better torches. I should just get it fixed eventually. Or borrow my brother's Boring Company not-flamethrower.

You can get a weed torch for like 20 bucks, attach that bad boy to a full size propane tank and broil everything forever. And organic weed control.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

toplitzin posted:

More changes at SE, and 100% more sponsored BS.
new header bar:

And now they're going hard on "dining out" because clearly, all we've been going to SE for is "where to eat" in places we don't live:

It was good while it lasted.

that's just going back to their roots, when A Hamburger Today, Slice, and all the others had local writers in many cities doing reviews and restaurant writing. honestly, that's as much what SE was founded on as recipes/cooking content. (then they brought in some big "consultant" and got rid of all local verticals and forums)

I don't particularly care about those cities they're covering right now, but in general you can trust their writers for that kind of coverage. and I believe the "sponsored" stuff really doesn't affect the content much on this one, except maybe they can only list places that accept credit cards? I dunno

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SE's vegan ramen was pretty top notch and if I wasn't a carnivore I would make it more often.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I'm thinking about using my injector to inject cranberry sauce directly into my turkey this year so when my father in law carves it, it'll look like he's cutting into weird cranberry boils. What could go wrong?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Croatoan posted:

So I'm thinking about using my injector to inject cranberry sauce directly into my turkey this year so when my father in law carves it, it'll look like he's cutting into weird cranberry boils. What could go wrong?

Well it would ruin the delicious stock you should be making from the carcass, for one.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

"Oh my god, this meat is PINK it's undercooked we need to put it back in the oven for another three hours!"

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Pink meat best meat.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
i'd like to know the real political and business history of how in the gently caress an inedibly bitter swamp berry became a holiday staple paired with turkey, of all things. What amazing marketing campaign in 1950-something convinced every housewife of the day that this nonsensical food is something that should be made mandatory on every american table for one meal per year

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

fart store posted:

i'd like to know the real political and business history of how in the gently caress an inedibly bitter swamp berry became a holiday staple paired with turkey, of all things. What amazing marketing campaign in 1950-something convinced every housewife of the day that this nonsensical food is something that should be made mandatory on every american table for one meal per year
Cranberries were a staple for the native populations before European colonists arrived, and they were associated with the Pilgrim diet as far back as the earliest written records of the Pilgrim diet, which are from the mid-17th Century, around a century before George Washington issued the first National Thanksgiving Proclamation.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

fart store posted:

In the bog

I saw a creature, naked, bestial,

Who, squatting upon the ground,

Held his cran in his hands,

And ate of it.

I said, “Is it good, friend?”

“It is bitter—bitter,” he answered;

“But I like it

“Because it is bitter,

“And because it is my cranberry ”

Like SubG mentioned, cranberry consumption goes way back. It is a fruit native to the northern US alongside blueberries. In late fall in Massachusetts, cranberries are ready to eat. Seems a natural fit with Thanksgiving imo

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

fart store posted:

they're in season, calm down

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

WHat the aCTUAL FYCK is with all these gof drat APLES AND PUNPKINS ALL OVER ERVERYTHING! THANKS BIG PHARMA

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SubG posted:

Cranberries were a staple for the native populations before European colonists arrived, and they were associated with the Pilgrim diet as far back as the earliest written records of the Pilgrim diet, which are from the mid-17th Century, around a century before George Washington issued the first National Thanksgiving Proclamation.

Don't forget they were made much more palatable in the 17th century when we had cheap sugar being imported from the Caribbean where it was literally more efficient to work slaves to death rather than treat their medical needs.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

SubG posted:

yeah i don't doubt natives ate the things. I've been baffled since childhood that cranberry sauce is served with thanksgiving dinner, though. Like, even as someone who's been familiar with it for as long as I remember, it makes so little sense. It doesn't work with anything else on the table, IMO, and I've never understood why it has persisted for 250 years.

There was probably hardtack and deer liver and weird little bitter gourds and poo poo on pilgrims' tables. Why was cranberry a better survivor?

Croatoan posted:

Don't forget they were made much more palatable in the 17th century when we had cheap sugar being imported from the Caribbean where it was literally more efficient to work slaves to death rather than treat their medical needs.

And I didn't realize that sugar was so plentiful so early in new-world history. I know that cranberries as we know them are like 2 parts sugar to 1 part cranberry. I wonder how natives prepared them before colonists came along.

I bumbled across this
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/this-man-made-the-first-canned-cranberry-sauce-180947862/

It's not super informative, but it at least explains where the corrugated cranberry log-in-a-can came from (the 1940s when everything was getting the can treatment)

OMGVBFLOL posted:

WHat the aCTUAL FYCK is with all these gof drat APLES AND PUNPKINS ALL OVER ERVERYTHING! THANKS BIG PHARMA

:thumbsup: sorry i apparently personally attacked you. i forgot you are literally a cranberry

Hauki
May 11, 2010

fart store posted:

literally a cranberry

mods, please

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

fart store posted:

And I didn't realize that sugar was so plentiful so early in new-world history. I know that cranberries as we know them are like 2 parts sugar to 1 part cranberry. I wonder how natives prepared them before colonists came along.

:thumbsup: sorry i apparently personally attacked you. i forgot you are literally a cranberry

they're actually not bad when very ripe and fresh. don't get me wrong, they're still tart as hell but they're edible, especially as an ingredient in a larger dish

also apology accepted :yayclod:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

fart store posted:

Like, even as someone who's been familiar with it for as long as I remember, it makes so little sense. It doesn't work with anything else on the table, IMO, and I've never understood why it has persisted for 250 years.

You don't see how a sweet, tart, acidic, cold side works alongside hot roasted meat, buttery mashed potatoes, and thick savory gravy?

It's a great palate-cleanser for everything on the rest of the plate.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Cranberry sauce is terrible, spicy mustard is the best thing to have with turkey.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Cranberry sauce rules what the gently caress

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cranberry sauce is the best when it's jellied, of uniform consistency, and has the ridges from the can imprinted on the side of the cranberry sauce log

don't @ me

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cranberry sauce is garbage but that's ok because so is turkey.

If you want to discuss it further, call your mom and ask her to put me on.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cranberries are delicious as gently caress. I am ambivalent about cranberry sauce at thanksgiving, though.

Cranberry mustard is also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I love mixing cranberries, and their superior Canadian cousin chokecherries, into my home made preserves. Adds so much more complexity to the flavours.