Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Do you know what kind of latencies you get using the Boss ME-80 as a USB interface vs the Soundcraft mixer? Because I'd check that in your DAW of choice (or use the Oblique Audio RTL Utility if the DAW doesn't say or has inaccurate latency reporting) and then go with either the Boss or the Soundcraft based on the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Buying a Focusrite interface and BIAS Peak is probably the correct answer but I just don’t like playing a software amp that much because I’m a crank. That said, Peak sounds great and will do everything you described quite well.

Why are we so broke brained? Software would be so convenient!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Software is hella convenient. Also probably more budget friendly.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

I am watching myself become a curmudgeon in some ways and it is both hilarious and horrifying. I think it’s mostly because I don’t really understand what is going on under the hood so I fear it.

My solution was to buy a nice preamp with a recording output and a basic solid state power amp. It’s more limiting than software but not necessarily in a bad way.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I just don't really get why you'd go software in 2019 when for the price of a decent interface and a software license you can get a Katana/THR10/VOX ADIO AIR/Fender GT 40 and have a decent interface, a range of different tones AND a practice amp you can use without fiddling with a computer.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

Software is hella convenient. Also probably more budget friendly.

It definitely is, can’t argue there. Even if I’m not into it I’m really glad new players have so many options nowadays. The idea of plugging a guitar into a computer and getting anything near “mediocre” even seemed like a hilarious dream scenario to me back in the mid 00s.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I am watching myself become a curmudgeon in some ways and it is both hilarious and horrifying. I think it’s mostly because I don’t really understand what is going on under the hood so I fear it.

My solution was to buy a nice preamp with a recording output and a basic solid state power amp. It’s more limiting than software but not necessarily in a bad way.

I still really like your setup you settled on. Smart. And yeah I don’t know. I love technology in general. I love thinking forward. But with guitar, hm. I have to have real knobs and things that heat up and look cool and make me feel distinctly connected to my art form and the history of it. Seeing racks of axefx etc gear is as exciting as sometime telling me about their new server hardware. It’s cool for sure and I’m glad things are evolving and people enjoy it but that world doesn’t excite me. I have to chase what gives me that special unique connection and fuels creativity. For me, even though my needs (one man band future studio dork) technically fit a software/modeling based approach best, I need my classic amp/pedalboard/guitar trio.

I actually find the balance of practical vs rewarding very interesting in the music field. I find myself moving towards an interesting blend of those. If you chase the practical you can find yourself in a sterile empty room. Focus on exciting and you may very well end up lost in the process.

Don Dongington posted:

I just don't really get why you'd go software in 2019 when for the price of a decent interface and a software license you can get a Katana/THR10/VOX ADIO AIR/Fender GT 40 and have a decent interface, a range of different tones AND a practice amp you can use without fiddling with a computer.

It is what it is, everyone has their own preferences. I agree on my end though. The THR is my “modeling” amp and it’s perfect with how focused it is + not dependent on computers.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I'm also a shameless THR stan (my jam being the 10x). Little snot-green brat has probably saved my bacon way more times than I care to name, especially this year that I returned as a recording engineer. And while it's pretty good on its own without a computer, if you use the USB connection and have the THR Editor up and ready, the amount of Q.O.L. adjustments it allows you to zero-in to are loving insane.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is something like a THR/mustang/katana/etc useful for recording? I know I see “recording” in a lot of the ad copy, but how much better are they than the modeling amps of even a few years ago?

I see a lot of love for the THRs but they also seem to be a bit older compared to stuff like the VOX. Is there a thread consensus on a preference?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not to do shameless self-promoting again, but here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzVwtI4DoUo

This is the record we spent most of 2018 and the first half of 2019 working on (mostly composition; recording was done across 5 weekends, so it was about 10 days of actual recording). Most of the guitars on the record (and some of the keyboard sounds) were recorded with 3 main amps:
  • 1 Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb 25 head going into a 2x12 Orange hybrid (option to have open back or closed back) cabinet using a TC Electronic Sentry and mostly a Xotic BB+ on the front.
  • 1 Yamaha THR10X
  • 1 Boss Katana head going into a 2x12 Boss Cabinet or sometimes directly from the back.
70% of the guitars is just the Katana and the THR. I tried to use the Mesa at least for most of "Gloom of Chaos" (the 3rd song), but the clean parts is all the Katana. It's loving insane that these two amps that literally cost us around 500 bucks both did most of the heavy lifting, while my goofy 2k rig was just used here and there for "flavor".

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is something like a THR/mustang/katana/etc useful for recording? I know I see “recording” in a lot of the ad copy, but how much better are they than the modeling amps of even a few years ago?

I see a lot of love for the THRs but they also seem to be a bit older compared to stuff like the VOX. Is there a thread consensus on a preference?

I can only speak for the Katana, but it's super useful and easy as hell. USB out the back right into the computer and life is good.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, I'm also a shameless THR stan (my jam being the 10x). Little snot-green brat has probably saved my bacon way more times than I care to name, especially this year that I returned as a recording engineer. And while it's pretty good on its own without a computer, if you use the USB connection and have the THR Editor up and ready, the amount of Q.O.L. adjustments it allows you to zero-in to are loving insane.

You can send audio to it too. That's convenient.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

You can send audio to it too. That's convenient.
Yeah. Again, 70% of every rhythm guitar you're hearing on the record I linked above (plus the keyboards) were done either through a THR10x or a Boss Katana 100 going straight into the computer to Cubase 9. It was insanely convenient.

All of my demos now are made like this: Guitar >> (Maybe) Some Pedals >> THR10x >> MacBook running Cubase 9.5.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I was going to listen to it on the THR but I can't find my ding dang USB cable.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Vox Adio Air GT is pretty nice to record with. Just install the driver off the website, set up the desired inputs and then load your patch and go. I think it can do re-amping if you're able to feed it a DI source too.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Is there any reason why my amp's bias would constantly drift *downward*? I keep thinking that my power tubes are dying (and maybe they are, I do play with the master volume dimed for 4-8 hours a day, but the obvious signs of power tube failure are absent), but it seems like it's just that the bias drifts down from 25mv (er, 25ma, my amp has a resister across the bias probe so I can read it in mv) to 20ish mv/ma after a few weeks. Do I just need new tubes or is this an amp component issue?

The amp, for what it's worth, is a Ceriatone Son of Yet. Hotrod plexi preamp into a 6v6 power section.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gnumonic posted:

Is there any reason why my amp's bias would constantly drift *downward*? I keep thinking that my power tubes are dying (and maybe they are, I do play with the master volume dimed for 4-8 hours a day, but the obvious signs of power tube failure are absent), but it seems like it's just that the bias drifts down from 25mv (er, 25ma, my amp has a resister across the bias probe so I can read it in mv) to 20ish mv/ma after a few weeks. Do I just need new tubes or is this an amp component issue?

The amp, for what it's worth, is a Ceriatone Son of Yet. Hotrod plexi preamp into a 6v6 power section.

Join the Ceriatone Facebook group. Nik will respond to you immediately.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ceriatone/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gnumonic posted:

How are you playing guitar 8 hours a day? Are you in a conservatory? I’m not criticizing it, I’m legit curious.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol how did I miss that? 8 hours a day of dimed plexi holy gently caress.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Uh, I'm a grad student (in not-music) and I'm on a dissertation research fellowship at the moment, so I basically write/read for 8 hours then shred for 8 hours then go to sleep. That's not necessarily 8 hours of productive practice (tbh half of it is mindless phrygian dominant shredding). I don't play for 8 hours every day but I get antsy if I don't play for at least 3-4 and 6-8 is probably typical. Oh and I'm playing into a loadbox -> IR loader so it's mostly silent. Neighbors would kill me otherwise.

On an amp note, I replaced all the tubes and re-biased it and then.... it died. I think I might have blown the output transformer. LED lights up, tubes heat up and glow but the amp makes *no* sound now. Not even any background hiss (and the amp is noisy as gently caress so it would be noticable), tried two different cabs and loadboxes and it's not outputting anything. Perhaps I should have listened to the manual for my torpedo captor and not dimed the amp into a loadbox. I assumed that the point of that was "don't dime a 100w amp into a 100w loadbox because the peak wattage might be higher than the loadbox can handle" but I didn't really research it at the time and just assumed that if nothing blew up after a few days I'd be fine.

Might have to find a mail-in repair place. There's gotta be *someone* in my area who can repair the drat thing but the local music stores seemed really reluctant to touch an amp they'd never seen before (despite the fact that I have schematics for it).

Time to explore amp sim software in the interim. I have a DSL20HR as a backup amp but (and I mean this in the nicest possible way because the DSL is a great amp for the price) it sounds like complete rear end compared to the Ceriatone (for shreddy stuff on a strat with Yngwie pickups, it's fine for death metal chugging).

Edit: If my rich uncle ever gets around to dying I should go to conservatory though. I'm in a weird place where I have pretty amazing technical skills yet feel like I'm a really lovely musician due to lack of experience playing with people/lack of experience applying music theory.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 6, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gnumonic posted:

Edit: If my rich uncle ever gets around to dying I should go to conservatory though. I'm in a weird place where I have pretty amazing technical skills yet feel like I'm a really lovely musician due to lack of experience playing with people/lack of experience applying music theory.

Berklee College has very good online and shortened-semester courses from what I hear. I know somebody who did a two or three week intensive and loved it.

And at least my area (Boston) is absolutely rotten with Berklee grads who teach beginner-to-masterclass level in pretty much whatever instrument you can think of. See what’s around in your area. Even dropping ~$500 on ten lessons with a pro teacher is a great investment and you’ll definitely notice the growth.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Electric Bugaloo posted:

And at least my area (Boston) is absolutely rotten with Berklee grads who teach beginner-to-masterclass level in pretty much whatever instrument you can think of. See what’s around in your area. Even dropping ~$500 on ten lessons with a pro teacher is a great investment and you’ll definitely notice the growth.
Aww man, I miss the Daddy's Junky Music on Mass Ave down there. There were some other smaller, mom & pop music shops too, but I assume they've all been replaced by Dunkin Donuts, Bank of America, or Chipotle by now.

But yeah, I def took lessons as a teenager in Malden, MA, and my teacher was a GREAT Berklee grad. Back then (early 90s,) lessons were $12 a session!

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Berklee College has very good online and shortened-semester courses from what I hear. I know somebody who did a two or three week intensive and loved it.

I'm pretty far from Berklee but I'm somewhat close to the Musicians Institute and it turns out there are 3-4 guitar grads from there who teach in my town, gonna hit one of em up and basically just ask if I can pay for "lessons" that are more or less jam sessions in genres/styles I'm not familiar with. Thanks for the suggestion, looking forward to learning some new things.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Been looking for a cheap practice amp for my house and stumbled across this Yamaha B30-115 combo that doesn't work. I know my way around a schematic and am no stranger to fiddling with this kind of thing, but I am unfamiliar with symptoms afflicting amplifiers. Is this description enough to give anyone a clear "stay away" or "yes that's easy" diagnosis?

quote:

here we have a cool old Yamaha 115B Amp. Right now it powers on but does not make any sound. It sounds like the pots are quite dirty as the only sound it does make it some loud crackling/popping when you turn the volume knob. In working condition these are super solid amplifiers, so if you're handy with repair this might be a slammin' deal!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Turned on my Fender Bassbreaker 15 today and it didn’t turn on.

I remembered that I was sitting down to play on Friday and turned the standby on, but never got around to it and left it on for about 16 hours.

When I tried today it wouldn’t even turn on to standby. Blown fuse.

Took it to my amp tech and he put a new fuse in it. But it started to hiss/crackle even without a guitar or cable plugged into it.

I think this is a hint for me to buy a new tube amp. I think I need a bigger amp for my rock/blues band gigs, and a more at home amp for staying at home.

The BB15 was my home and gig amp and after a couple years of gigging maybe it’s just given out.

What’s the standard gigging amp recommendation for blues/rock guys? The BB15 was my first tube amp so I’m still learning the good amp worlds.

Also, while my bassbreaker is out(dead?) should I get something like a Boss 50 or something for home/light practice use?

I know it’s anathema for a tube amp thread, but I figured I’d ask opinions.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
It probably just needs a tube replaced, likely a preamp if it's hissing. If your Tech just shrugged his shoulders when he turned it on and it was hissing you probably need a new Tech while you're at it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I don’t think it’s dead forever but I am worried about quality control issues with the early bassbreakers in which I own one.

I have full confidence in the tech, but because my amp is down I got full permission to buy a new amp........!!!!!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The katana ii 50 looks freakin great and you should probably get one based on the YouTube reviews alone.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

The katana ii 50 looks freakin great and you should probably get one based on the YouTube reviews alone.

Moreso than the new THR revisions?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Moreso than the new THR revisions?

I liked the models on the THR quite a bit more. I liked being able to send audio out to the THR via USB a lot. I also found it just a little too quiet for my ears.

The Katana 50 is a great value and the FX are pretty great. I did like the models more once I paired them with the onboard OD’s. It’d definitely be more capable of keeping up with a drummer. The 100-watt version has a lot more IO options, but if you were up in that range I’d take a look at the Blues Cube and Nextone series as well.

So there’s a place for both I think. I think it’d be easier to know which would be better for you if you could even play just one.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah they do have a different use case.

You're not going to be able to use anything with a 12" speaker in a 2nd floor apartment, or a house-with-a-baby setting the way you're going to be able to use a THR/Katana Mini/Vox ADIO etc. They sound brilliant at really low volume on account of having tiny drivers that hit their efficiency curve at much much lower volume levels. The Katana does have a low wattage mode, but a 12" driver needs to be moving a certain amount to produce the low frequencies. This is why older hi-fi systems had Loudness buttons, to compensate for the larger drivers in vintage hi fi setups not being able to hit their optimal frequency response curve at lower volumes. At least, that's how I understand it.

Also the new models allow you to tap straight into the power section with a DI box, pre-amp or modelling pedal which is cool. My Peavey combo lets you do this via the effects return, but the master volume control doesn't work.

I am glad I got my ADIO, but seeing what the Katana can do makes me wish I'd waited for the new models. The one thing the THR and ADIO don't have that the Katana does is dirt pedal models. I have stuck a bunch of pedals in front of the ADIO though, including a tubescreamer, an EP boost, chorus and a compressor, and it takes them nicely. But that's not the same as being able to dial up a blue driver or a DS1 on demand without plugging anything in.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
hey everyone, i gotta question on biasing my tube amps.

Plate Voltage is measured from Pin 3 on the output tubes of a 6L6 amp, with my other connection to ground, and from pin 8 i'd measure the mA that would be the bias I'd be setting. 1 ohm resistors are in there somewhere. Electrocuting myself is optional.

I've got a gig ready MIG-50H, and another in need of adjustment, along with a EH MIG-50 that might have to be retubed.

Is there anything else I should know before i proceed with this? I feel like there still something I'm not clear with but I cant tell what. I'm not looking to get a collection of amp specific tools for my multimeter, and I'm already aware my particular pair of amps likes to run really high plate voltages.

I use JJ's 6L6GC exclusively.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Hey guys, I'm having this issue with my 80's Peavey Butcher where I'm getting next to zero sound. If you dime the pre and post gain, you get low practice amp levels of sound. I've rolled a tube through the preamp and it didn't do anything, hit the volume pots with some cleaner, same. Does that sound like a capacitor issue? I don't think that's a transformer thing since there wouldn't be any output at all, right?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Check the speaker?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Siivola posted:

Check the speaker?

Nah, my Laney runs the same cab just fine.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know this might read really dumb, but are you sure you're properly plugged in? Sometimes I think I have a problem with one of my pieces of gear becoming dead-weight, but then it turns out the speaker cable wasn't plugged in (disturbingly common when we go to rehearsing places) or I neglect to plug one cable because I'm so used to connecting to my Yamaha and then just playing away.

I'm dumb like that. :doh:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is this the right place to ask about amp sim plugins? I've been using GuitarRig for years and it's been great, but it hasn't been updated in forever so I figure there's gotta be something either better or cheaper out there now. Any recommendations? Something on the cheaper side would be ideal. My dad is looking for a sim plugin and getting GuitarRig outside of Komplete (which he doesn't need) seems like a bad move in 2019.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Wark Say posted:

I know this might read really dumb, but are you sure you're properly plugged in? Sometimes I think I have a problem with one of my pieces of gear becoming dead-weight, but then it turns out the speaker cable wasn't plugged in (disturbingly common when we go to rehearsing places) or I neglect to plug one cable because I'm so used to connecting to my Yamaha and then just playing away.

I'm dumb like that. :doh:

It’s the same through any of the 4 outputs. I tried all of the “dumb” solutions :-(

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Splinter posted:

Is this the right place to ask about amp sim plugins? I've been using GuitarRig for years and it's been great, but it hasn't been updated in forever so I figure there's gotta be something either better or cheaper out there now. Any recommendations? Something on the cheaper side would be ideal. My dad is looking for a sim plugin and getting GuitarRig outside of Komplete (which he doesn't need) seems like a bad move in 2019.

There are many good free amp / cabinet plugins out there. Generally you want an amp sim, then a cabinet Impulse Response (IR) loader, and then a mess of IRs to load. The amp plugins will sound like butt by themselves until you run them through a cabinet sim.

I used to use the LePou stuff a lot, and it is pretty good: http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?dev=LePou

Not sure if your dad is into metal, but if he is, Ignite Emissary is good: http://www.igniteamps.com/#emissary as is their cabinet IR loader: http://www.igniteamps.com/#nadir

You can find over one gajillion free IR packs by googling "guitar IR download" or similar. A decent one to start with is here: https://shop.kalthallen.de/?page_id=423 (click the IR Library link to DL it.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
Hey everyone, hoping I can get some help here. A few years ago I got a Bugera 1990 Classic for $200 since I couldn't afford the JCM900 I really want. It's had its issues, but the sound has been great. Recently I was playing through it and the power just cut out. Now I can't get it to power on no matter what I try. I found a video on YT about adding a heatsink to one of the voltage regulators and have the stuff to do it, but the issue in that video was it would turn off and then back on again. Mine's completely dead. I've got an amp repair place in my town but they charge $60 to diagnose the issue then there's parts and $60/hour for labor, so if it takes 2 hours to fix I've already bought a new one. Anything I can try to bring it back to life? At this point I only want to get it working until I get the JCM900 I should have in the first place but that's several months down the road due to monies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Check the fuse by the power cord, usually a little barrel shaped thing.