Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe we should keep an eye on our own sun from now on :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
this game is probably one of the best i played this decade and im really happy i went for it as soon as it was possible for me, without much knowledge going in. some questions:

1) in the nomai shuttles, does moving the ball to the right side of the fork actually do anything, or have some sort of stated function for nomai pilots, at least?

2) i thought the third statue was activated by solanum, but apparently not? does it exist just compute the trajectories of the probe throughout time, and isnt connected to any person?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Flac posted:

2) i thought the third statue was activated by solanum, but apparently not? does it exist just compute the trajectories of the probe throughout time, and isnt connected to any person?

Yes. It's the link that sends the probe's results back in time so it can either try another one or report success.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 6, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Flac posted:

Correct. Solanum can't be the third statue, because he's dead.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

i'm guessing she's alive on the moon at the eye bc of quantum possibilities magic basically

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Flac posted:

1) in the nomai shuttles, does moving the ball to the right side of the fork actually do anything, or have some sort of stated function for nomai pilots, at least?

That's the landing sequence. I found this out when it tried to land me back on Ember Twin... while I was in the path of Ash. Freaked me right the gently caress out, it did.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

oh my god what. im gonna have to try that for myself sometime

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Flac posted:

i'm guessing she's alive on the moon at the eye bc of quantum possibilities magic basically

Yeah, you can get her to say she believes the same thing

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flac posted:

If you move the moon around and go look at the south pole you'll find her corpse in all moon orbits except the one near the Eye, which was the only one out of range when the ghost matter core ruptured. This is how she became the 6-to-1 odds Shrodinger space sheep.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

just tested what ablative said myself and it doesn't make the ship land exactly, as far as i can tell, but it makes it stop accelerating come to a sudden stop? i don't know why i didn't notice that when i was experimenting with the shuttles, but maybe i just didn't pay attention. begs the question of how in the hell did the nomai hit their targets, much less land these things? i had the thought that they go so far as to calculate the rotation of the planet they launch from with the trajectory of it AND the object they wanted to land on, but that is insane. especially when you consider not only that solanum got to a moon that must've been incredibly difficult to track in its orbiting patterns, but they got to a comet that had just entered the solar system

Flac fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 7, 2019

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Flac posted:

just tested what ablative said myself and it doesn't make the ship land exactly, as far as i can tell, but it makes it stop accelerating come to a sudden stop? i don't know why i didn't notice that when i was experimenting with the shuttles, but maybe i just didn't pay attention. begs the question of how in the hell did the nomai hit their targets, much less land these things? i had the thought that they go so far as to calculate the rotation of the planet they launch from with the trajectory of it AND the object they wanted to land on, but that is insane. especially when you consider not only that solanum got to a moon that must've been incredibly difficult to track in its orbiting patterns, but they got to a comet that had just entered the solar system

It comes to a halt and then slowly begins descending. I think you have to be within some certain radius of a planet? I know I've landed on Timber Hearth and nearly Hollow's Lantern with them. I thought it just stopped me when I ran into the Ash Twin, too.

As for how they managed it, well, they had effectively infinite attempts thanks to the return channel, and they were nothing if not excessively patient.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Flac posted:

i had the thought that they go so far as to calculate the rotation of the planet they launch from with the trajectory of it AND the object they wanted to land on, but that is insane

this definitely comes up in some nomai writing (i forget where exactly—in the orbital tracker ruins on the attlerock, maybe? definitely not that, but this is a good excuse for me to play again): they are ridiculously good at orbital calculations, and one of them is such a nerd about it that another gives them poo poo for doing it for fun in their spare time

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 7, 2019

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Ablative posted:

It comes to a halt and then slowly begins descending. I think you have to be within some certain radius of a planet? I know I've landed on Timber Hearth and nearly Hollow's Lantern with them. I thought it just stopped me when I ran into the Ash Twin, too.

gave it one more try last night and you were right, my mistake. turns out that brittle hollow is not the best place to test this, as i assumed the shuttle was stopped completely just to get pulled into the planet's gravity and go in the black hole, rather than land anywhere on the surface. least in my couple of attempts.

CaptainViolence posted:

this definitely comes up in some nomai writing (i forget where exactly—in the orbital tracker ruins on the attlerock, maybe? definitely not that, but this is a good excuse for me to play again): they are ridiculously good at orbital calculations, and one of them is such a nerd about it that another gives them poo poo for doing it for fun in their spare time

it's been some time but i don't remember finding this....i haven't completed the log though, so i wouldn't be surprised. does anyone else have an idea where it appears?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Flac posted:

? i had the thought that they go so far as to calculate the rotation of the planet they launch from with the trajectory of it AND the object they wanted to land on, but that is insane.

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure that's basically what we do in the real world. Just without the railguns or teleportation.

Barry Bluejorts
Jun 30, 2013

Now please touch your finger to the tip of your nose.
Pillbug
Don't remember if I posted in this thread, but I'll be recommending this game to people forever. Gonna become "that guy". First game in years to give me that childlike wonder at the universe it built.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Got around to starting this tonight. I really like the art and am about to launch and explore the rest of the solar system. Unfortunately I noticed I was getting pretty motion sick. I’ve never had a game do this to me and figure it’s related to the curving view from the small planet. Want to try again tomorrow when I’m not exhausted and half asleep. It’d be a shame if I can’t finish or play for longer periods.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Dinosaurs! posted:

Got around to starting this tonight. I really like the art and am about to launch and explore the rest of the solar system. Unfortunately I noticed I was getting pretty motion sick. I’ve never had a game do this to me and figure it’s related to the curving view from the small planet. Want to try again tomorrow when I’m not exhausted and half asleep. It’d be a shame if I can’t finish or play for longer periods.

Can't remember if there's an option for it, but adjusting the FoV so it's wider can alleviate this.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Thanks for the suggestion. Doesn’t look like there’s an option in the settings, but it’s not as bad tonight.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I've put a good amount of hours into this game so far. I like it, but I'm getting overwhelmed by the fact that I've seen a large amount of random things, but nothing is really "clicking" or coming together yet. I've seen a lot of like, random pieces of machinery that I bet I'll have to remember what they do and how to use them and use them all in a certain order, and it's daunting because I haven't even found the through-line through which these things are supposed to connect. There's only so much "going down to a random planet in hopes I find something new" I can do, even if the ship log points you in certain directions.

Here's a question: I found the anglerfish skeleton that supposedly can give you a hint on how to get past them in the dark bramble. The shop log says that only my scout can get into that cave, but I also read a nomai log that said children were found in there. So does that mean there is a secret entrance into there, or does that mean the children were as small as my scout and so there's no larger way in? And ALSO, is the hint that the fish can't see if you if you don't move? Because I've gotten pretty far in there by just drifting down, thought eventually I HAVE to move a little and then I get eaten.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Here's a question: I found the anglerfish skeleton that supposedly can give you a hint on how to get past them in the dark bramble. The shop log says that only my scout can get into that cave, but I also read a nomai log that said children were found in there. So does that mean there is a secret entrance into there, or does that mean the children were as small as my scout and so there's no larger way in? And ALSO, is the hint that the fish can't see if you if you don't move? Because I've gotten pretty far in there by just drifting down, thought eventually I HAVE to move a little and then I get eaten.

There's a hidden entrance that's large enough for you to enter. Toss your scout in to illuminate the room, and as long as it's there you'll be able to see the lit-up entrance in the tunnels below.

The anglerfish hint is not about sight, but sound. You have make absolutely as little noise as possible around them. Use minimal thrust.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 24, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

So I've put a good amount of hours into this game so far. I like it, but I'm getting overwhelmed by the fact that I've seen a large amount of random things, but nothing is really "clicking" or coming together yet. I've seen a lot of like, random pieces of machinery that I bet I'll have to remember what they do and how to use them and use them all in a certain order, and it's daunting because I haven't even found the through-line through which these things are supposed to connect. There's only so much "going down to a random planet in hopes I find something new" I can do, even if the ship log points you in certain directions.

Skeleton: The ship log is only based on what you've personally confirmed, and you've only found windows on the cave you can fire the scout through so far. Keep exploring the Ember Twin city, there are clues about how the kids got into the cave there.

Fish: This is info you will get if you succeed at the above, but: The fish are blind and track by hearing so they are attacking the sound of your thrusters. Use the minimum level of thrust possible (1 bar on the dashboard thingie) to get yourself on a course to drift past them and don't thrust again until they're well behind you.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

If your computer's log says there's more to do at a location there is. If it didn't say that, you don't need to return. The game is about collecting information.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 24, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also your log will tell you everything you need to know, you don't actually have to remember anything. Though obviously it'll help to remember things generally.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Word of warning for anyone interested in playing this on PS4 right now. There is a crash on save bug that corrupts and deletes your save data on the PS4 right now that happens frequently enough that it happened to me twice in one weekend. Once after about an hour of play and another after 4.

Very mad about this and figured id warn other people. According to their twitter account its known and they have been trying to fix it since OCtober 31

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

I think this is due to a patch released recently that was meant to fix that save corruption issue some people had since October, and judging from how often I'm seeing the issue come up now, I think it made it worse. Really sucks.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Flac posted:

I think this is due to a patch released recently that was meant to fix that save corruption issue some people had since October, and judging from how often I'm seeing the issue come up now, I think it made it worse. Really sucks.

I am extremely bummed. The first time It happened I had only explored 2 planets and did not feel like I lost much. The second time really crushed me. This is legitimately one of the coolest video games of all time and for something to have a crash bug, let alone one that corrupts and deletes a save like this is 2003 is absolutely unacceptable. I almost feel like I should make a stink and try to get my money back.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

I am extremely bummed. The first time It happened I had only explored 2 planets and did not feel like I lost much. The second time really crushed me. This is legitimately one of the coolest video games of all time and for something to have a crash bug, let alone one that corrupts and deletes a save like this is 2003 is absolutely unacceptable. I almost feel like I should make a stink and try to get my money back.

It doesn't excuse it but this is actually one of the least-destructive games to have a save corruption bug in. I ran into a save-destroying bug when I was like 80% done with the game and it barely affected my progress because everything important that you're picking up is in your head. I had to set aside the OCD of completing the info map in the ship's computer but I was able to move right ahead and finish the game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Triarii posted:

It doesn't excuse it but this is actually one of the least-destructive games to have a save corruption bug in. I ran into a save-destroying bug when I was like 80% done with the game and it barely affected my progress because everything important that you're picking up is in your head. I had to set aside the OCD of completing the info map in the ship's computer but I was able to move right ahead and finish the game.

Well, yes but

a) completing the log is fun
b) there are things you need to do when you start a new game that is very annoying to do over and over again
c) I have no idea when its going to happen again
d) I don't remember every little story detail that the log tracks and that's the poo poo im really interested in

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 10, 2019

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

These guys won IGN's adventure game of the year. Also got 48% of the vote from readers.

https://www.ign.com/videos/2019/12/10/mobius-reacts-to-outer-wilds-winning-igns-best-adventure-game-of-2019

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Awesome. Would love to see them win best indie game at the keighleys tomorrow but that's for sure going to goose game :eng99:

(nothing against goose game but goose game is kinda done & over with in 2 hours, but Outer Wilds is a game that's gonna stick with me forever)

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Holy poo poo

If you end the cycle by jumping into the black hole that’s created at the center of the ash core when the sun explodes

Then on the next cycle there’s a second copy of you hanging out in the ash core that you can have a conversation with

https://twitter.com/willsmith/status/1205409522602299394?s=21

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Holy poo poo

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What the gently caress??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Omg I'm about to leave work now

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's just amazing.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Apparently it was added in a patch? But drat, that's cool. I wonder how it resolves the paradox. My guess is your other self goes into the black hole to keep the loop closed. I wonder if there is extra dialog if you remove the core then talk to yourself.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

ymgve posted:

Apparently it was added in a patch? But drat, that's cool. I wonder how it resolves the paradox. My guess is your other self goes into the black hole to keep the loop closed. I wonder if there is extra dialog if you remove the core then talk to yourself.

If you watch the VOD when he dies, he gets the paradox ending. I'm not sure if that happens if you leave the warp-core alone though, and I'm curious what happens if you do it a second time..

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i don't think i understand how that's triggered—there's a black hole at the center of the ash core? like, the warp core you have to take?

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainViolence posted:

i don't think i understand how that's triggered—there's a black hole at the center of the ash core? like, the warp core you have to take?

Yes. It opens as the sun goes nova at the end of the loop. Sounds like the black hole was always there, but a recent patch made it possible to enter it. Sounds like any death after doing that will trigger the paradox ending, except for entering it again.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

ohhh, that makes sense, i guess i just never paid close enough attention. coooooool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Lightly spoiler image, related to current discussion. Also amusing.

E: Oh my gods I forgot how good the failure state from this condition was. The credits are great too. One of the devs has "ACTUALLY IN A TIME PARADOX, SEND HELP" in their accomplishments.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 14, 2019