Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
My little one is back to normal now, mostly. Took about 2-3 weeks of gradually less dodgy nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

BadSamaritan posted:

I actually lucked into a really decent, sane, science-literate mommy group through The Bump, of all things. As far as pregnancy forums went they had pretty strict community standards and were happy to call woo out for what it was.

They’ve been really helpful for support and advice. Not to say there aren’t batshit groupthink groups out there, but if you can find a good one they can be really positive, especially if you don’t have many irl parent friends/relatives.

My wife is a GP and is part of a FB chat for GP mums. She loves that group and I don't blame her - the participants are generally very intelligent and obviously scientifically literate. It's very handy for getting sensible opinions and feedback on stuff, especially medical stuff obviously.

I can imagine there are a lot of terrible groups - the one described earlier made my eyes roll out of my head, even though I such things all the time.

Not just for humans either - I'm part of a dog FB group and there's much nonsense on there - home remedies and homeopathy for this and that, and posts starting with "are there any mediums in the group" (by the groud admin no less).

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Drop offs at daycare have become really hard for our 3.5 year old. He gets very upset about missing mommy/daddy, grabs our legs, and refuses to leave until he is physically dragged in while screaming. He is fine a few minutes later (they text us pictures). We have tried the llama llama school book, where mom always comes back to no avail. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas or tricks to get through this phase?

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Douche4Sale posted:

Drop offs at daycare have become really hard for our 3.5 year old. He gets very upset about missing mommy/daddy, grabs our legs, and refuses to leave until he is physically dragged in while screaming. He is fine a few minutes later (they text us pictures). We have tried the llama llama school book, where mom always comes back to no avail. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas or tricks to get through this phase?

I don’t have personal experience but I’ve heard the book The Kissing Hand has really helped kids that age.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Hi_Bears posted:

I don’t have personal experience but I’ve heard the book The Kissing Hand has really helped kids that age.
That's a good one.

Man, I loving hate that loving llama. What a lovely kid.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Hi_Bears posted:

We tried doing a kissing hand, and while it helped eased fears, our oldest would refuse to uncurl her fist to hold the kiss longer. My wife made matching "love bracelets" for herself and the kid. Each morning, they would activate their bracelets together before saying goodbye.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So the cold saga continues with my one-year-old.

He was getting better (coughing at night less), and then two nights ago he got a fever of 101. Motrin brought it down within an hour and he had no fever the next morning.
Last night before bed-no fever. Woke up at 2 am with a fever of 103. He was in a sleep and play so we changed him to shorts and a tshirt, dropped the AC down a degree and gave him Motrin. Before he even went back t bed, the temp was 101. This morning he woke up fine and with a normal temp-completely happy baby but still congested.

So tomorrow will be two weeks since the first symptoms of a cold started (runny nose, congestion).

I called the nurse advice line today and all they said was to keep the humidifier and all that stuff going, but if he goes over 100.4 at all, go to an ER to see their diagnosis.

I’m sure they get called all the time for random things, but I was pretty put off by her attitude on the phone, basically waving everything else off (the cough at night), and only focused on the fever returning.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
My wife is taking our daughter on her first plane flight in a few hours. Hopefully it'll go well. She packed a ton of stuff to keep her busy.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

So the cold saga continues with my one-year-old.

He was getting better (coughing at night less), and then two nights ago he got a fever of 101. Motrin brought it down within an hour and he had no fever the next morning.
Last night before bed-no fever. Woke up at 2 am with a fever of 103. He was in a sleep and play so we changed him to shorts and a tshirt, dropped the AC down a degree and gave him Motrin. Before he even went back t bed, the temp was 101. This morning he woke up fine and with a normal temp-completely happy baby but still congested.

So tomorrow will be two weeks since the first symptoms of a cold started (runny nose, congestion).

I called the nurse advice line today and all they said was to keep the humidifier and all that stuff going, but if he goes over 100.4 at all, go to an ER to see their diagnosis.

I’m sure they get called all the time for random things, but I was pretty put off by her attitude on the phone, basically waving everything else off (the cough at night), and only focused on the fever returning.

Honestly, again it sounds like RSV, and I’m surprised the doc hasn’t wanted to see him in case it is. RSV can last at least two weeks. Our son had it for like three weeks.

All you can do is keep the humidifier running like they said, do shower steam, etc

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

life is killing me posted:

Honestly, again it sounds like RSV, and I’m surprised the doc hasn’t wanted to see him in case it is. RSV can last at least two weeks. Our son had it for like three weeks.

All you can do is keep the humidifier running like they said, do shower steam, etc

Yeah I hear ya. There’s no labored breathing or anything like that, and today-at least so far-he seems better.

I’m just hoping it passes soon enough.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

calandryll posted:

My wife is taking our daughter on her first plane flight in a few hours. Hopefully it'll go well. She packed a ton of stuff to keep her busy.

Sending good vibes to her, traveling with kids/infants is rough. About a year and a half ago we had to travel down to see my dad before he passed, at the time they were 4 and twin 1 year olds. The double takes we got from people on our layovers were hilarious. Dealing with car seats, stroller, and everything else was a logistical nightmare.

Coincidentally that was pretty much the final thing that convinced me to start medication, because as we were driving in to the airport I could feel my anxiety ramping up like a motherfucker.

Yhag
Dec 23, 2006

I'm dying you idiot!
So I slept through my alarm clock this morning, I was woken up by my girlfriend about an hour later asking me "shouldn't you be going to work".

My 3 month old keeps waking up about 5-6 times each night. It's just a matter of giving her her pacifier and then going back to bed but apparently it has been taking its toll on me. I can't wait for her to be able to find and grab the pacifier on her own. A bit of googling makes it seem that we just have to deal with it until then.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

devmd01 posted:

Sending good vibes to her, traveling with kids/infants is rough. About a year and a half ago we had to travel down to see my dad before he passed, at the time they were 4 and twin 1 year olds. The double takes we got from people on our layovers were hilarious. Dealing with car seats, stroller, and everything else was a logistical nightmare.

Coincidentally that was pretty much the final thing that convinced me to start medication, because as we were driving in to the airport I could feel my anxiety ramping up like a motherfucker.

Thanks, they made it safely with my daughter falling asleep during the descent and landing. My wife said there was a bunch of crying but our daughter likes to move around and is not used to being confined unless it's her car seat. We'll see how she does when we both fly back with her on Monday, hopefully she'll be a bit better with both of us there.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Yhag posted:

So I slept through my alarm clock this morning, I was woken up by my girlfriend about an hour later asking me "shouldn't you be going to work".

My 3 month old keeps waking up about 5-6 times each night. It's just a matter of giving her her pacifier and then going back to bed but apparently it has been taking its toll on me. I can't wait for her to be able to find and grab the pacifier on her own. A bit of googling makes it seem that we just have to deal with it until then.

My baby woke up every 2-3 hours until she was 6 months. Now at nearly 7 months, a good night will be a stretch of 6 hours, then up every 2-3 after that. There has only been one night where she’s slept for 8 in a row. I have a couple friends with babies the same age who are sleeping for 10-12 hours straight.

It will get better, 3 months is still so young, then there’s the 4 month sleep regression...

I got a membership to the local aquarium. She loves looking at the jellyfish and the shark tank in particular. She’s the perfect age where it can hold her attention for 1-2 hours, and we can go every week and she’s just as fascinated. Highly recommend the aquarium for babies.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Koivunen posted:

My baby woke up every 2-3 hours until she was 6 months. Now at nearly 7 months, a good night will be a stretch of 6 hours, then up every 2-3 after that. There has only been one night where she’s slept for 8 in a row. I have a couple friends with babies the same age who are sleeping for 10-12 hours straight.

Incidentally, conversations with these kinds of friends on sleep are infuriating, so avoid at all costs.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

femcastra posted:

Incidentally, conversations with these kinds of friends on sleep are infuriating, so avoid at all costs.

gently caress

It makes me homicidal

We did good last night. I was only up twice, for a total of one hour combined.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I know the ultimate answer is : go to the pediatrician, and we have/are, but maybe someone has encountered this before or has some advice.

My 15 month old waivers from regular turds to diarrhea on a poop by poop basis. Its a crapshoot whether or not what its going to be. He was having a really bad bout of it last month where it was pretty much diarrhea mostly. He doesn't have any other symptoms. He's a very happy baby. He's also not going constantly throughout the day. He poops his usual once or twice a day. He's still gaining weight. He eats a poo poo-ton so when he does poop, its significant.

We saw the doctor and they said they didn't think it was anything contagious, probably just teething or from us giving medicine to help with his teething (he has 4 molars coming in. One is finally fully through and I think another one is almost though). It swung back to mostly turds or in-between consistency with actual diarrhea a couple times a week.

We try our best to not let him put stuff he's not suppose to in his mouth. He does go to daycare so who knows there. He does have a milk allergy, but the allergist said its pretty mild and even told us we could give him baked food with some milk in it. We stopped that when this starting ramping up last month.

Could it just be a reaction to the rando dirty thing he put in his mouth? Could it be a new allergy? Teething? Do pro-biotics actually work? I've heard new research says its bunk/anti-beneficial. We were going to start keeping a food and poop log to see if we can find a correlation before we go back to the doctor. I don't know if it matters but he does drink a poo poo ton of water / oat milk. At night he probably drinks about 24oz of it at least some nights.

I swear parenting is just worrying about your kid's input and output. Children: Black box testing.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Alterian posted:

I know the ultimate answer is : go to the pediatrician, and we have/are, but maybe someone has encountered this before or has some advice.

My 15 month old waivers from regular turds to diarrhea on a poop by poop basis. Its a crapshoot whether or not what its going to be. He was having a really bad bout of it last month where it was pretty much diarrhea mostly. He doesn't have any other symptoms. He's a very happy baby. He's also not going constantly throughout the day. He poops his usual once or twice a day. He's still gaining weight. He eats a poo poo-ton so when he does poop, its significant.

We saw the doctor and they said they didn't think it was anything contagious, probably just teething or from us giving medicine to help with his teething (he has 4 molars coming in. One is finally fully through and I think another one is almost though). It swung back to mostly turds or in-between consistency with actual diarrhea a couple times a week.

We try our best to not let him put stuff he's not suppose to in his mouth. He does go to daycare so who knows there. He does have a milk allergy, but the allergist said its pretty mild and even told us we could give him baked food with some milk in it. We stopped that when this starting ramping up last month.

Could it just be a reaction to the rando dirty thing he put in his mouth? Could it be a new allergy? Teething? Do pro-biotics actually work? I've heard new research says its bunk/anti-beneficial. We were going to start keeping a food and poop log to see if we can find a correlation before we go back to the doctor. I don't know if it matters but he does drink a poo poo ton of water / oat milk. At night he probably drinks about 24oz of it at least some nights.

I swear parenting is just worrying about your kid's input and output. Children: Black box testing.

Does he have a lot of fruit? Our Ped called it toddler diarrhea, and said sometimes something will look like diarrhea and not be, and that’s what toddler diarrhea is. They said nothing to be concerned about, if I remember right it’s associated with eating lots of fruit. We balance it out with lots of veggies and it’s a long shot but could be the deal maybe.

Edit: I know you’ve got more than one, so maybe you heard the term before, and may know better than me what that actually is. First time I heard the term was yesterday.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I'm wondering if it's lactose intolerance or allergy to milk proteins. Lactose intolerance will usually manifest as loose bowels after eating milk, but also they tend to get a lot of gas and general indigestion. Doesn't sound like what you're experiencing.

Drinking a lot of fluids can give you loose bowels, it's one of the home remedies for mild constipation. So it might be worth trying to cut down on the night time drinking (after consulting with your paediatrician).

Yes it could be teething, too. They swallow a lot of drool during teething which, combined with hormonal effects, can loosen the poop.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My 21mo has been Naruto-running everywhere lately. Anyone else experience this?

No, he's never seen anime.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

Pretty sure this is common in the first couple years. My son used to do it a lot before he turned three and I've definately seen other little kids doing it at the park.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

That might be something to try. He's recently discovered he likes applesauce. He could easily eat those toddler fruit packets that are like $1 each all day every day if we let him. I think I will try limiting him and see how it goes! Thanks for the idea.

For the lactose intolerance: He has a milk allergy so he doesn't get any milk!

Edit: My eldest was never that much into those packets. Infact, he had the opposite problem. He was always constipated because he refused to drink anything.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 9, 2019

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

My 19 mo old does the same.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

PerniciousKnid posted:

Slimy Hog posted:

My 19 mo old does the same.

WHO WILL BE. . . THE NEXT HOKAGE??

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Alterian posted:

Do pro-biotics actually work? I've heard new research says its bunk/anti-beneficial. We were going to start keeping a food and poop log to see if we can find a correlation before we go back to the doctor. I don't know if it matters but he does drink a poo poo ton of water / oat milk. At night he probably drinks about 24oz of it at least some nights.

I’m a fan of probiotics and kefir/yogurt, it seems to keep my baby pretty regular, he recently finished a 10 day course of antibiotics and didn’t even get any diarrhea.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

My 4 year old is doing it occasionally, I just assume he learned it at school.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hi_Bears posted:

I’m a fan of probiotics and kefir/yogurt, it seems to keep my baby pretty regular, he recently finished a 10 day course of antibiotics and didn’t even get any diarrhea.

Dairy free yogurts are very hit or miss and they are annoyingly expensive! I might start cutting his applesauce with it though. I was going to invest in some refillable pouches.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Alterian posted:

Dairy free yogurts are very hit or miss and they are annoyingly expensive! I might start cutting his applesauce with it though. I was going to invest in some refillable pouches.

Oh right I forgot the dairy aspect sorry. There are dairy free probiotics drops and powders you can mix in

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Alterian posted:

That might be something to try. He's recently discovered he likes applesauce. He could easily eat those toddler fruit packets that are like $1 each all day every day if we let him. I think I will try limiting him and see how it goes! Thanks for the idea.

My kids love applesauce, but they quickly moved on from packets to bowls. I mix in oats for variety and fullness, which both my kids enjoy.

I think probiotics work for certain situations (like after certain antibiotics). I don't put any stock in taking them daily like a multivitamin.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Parenting thread! I have a weird question:

In terms of language development, would a parent who stutters be an issue for kids learning how to talk? I don't have any children, but I plan on it in the next couple of years, and recently developed a stutter from an injury. I couldn't find much online, the search terms I tried just brought up articles on how parents can deal with a stuttering kid. My gut says kids are smart and they'll figure it out, but I'm also afraid of loving my future kids up.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Parenting thread! I have a weird question:

In terms of language development, would a parent who stutters be an issue for kids learning how to talk? I don't have any children, but I plan on it in the next couple of years, and recently developed a stutter from an injury. I couldn't find much online, the search terms I tried just brought up articles on how parents can deal with a stuttering kid. My gut says kids are smart and they'll figure it out, but I'm also afraid of loving my future kids up.

OH HEY, something I have direct experience with.

So, I have a stutter and a speech sound disorder. I can't pronounce the dental fricatives (English th sound) correctly. My son is autistic and was nonverbal for a time, so our experience is a little more complex, but once he started talking, and went through speech therapy, my particular disorders have had no noticeable long term effect on his speech. He's actually been diagnosed with the same speech sound disorder as me, but that's related to a slight defect in how our tongues rest and are attached. Speech therapy, which I never got, has caused it to be practically unnoticeable. He doesn't stutter at all.

I actually brought up the same concerns with his speech therapist. The way she explained it to me, he's going to hear so many other people, who don't share the disorder(s) talking, that it'll all just settle itself. Any defects of speech are almost certainly innate problems that he has. It's something similar to something you often see with kids who start off life with an accent uncommon to the area they're in. They get most of their verbal input early in life from their parents and pick up their accent, of course, but once they start spending most of their day elsewhere, it starts blending and being overtaken by the accent they hear the most.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
How old does your kid have to be before Baby Beluga stops playing in your head on repeat?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

wizzardstaff posted:

How old does your kid have to be before Baby Beluga stops playing in your head on repeat?

Swim so wild and swim so free

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My wife sings baby beluga to put our baby to sleep so it's always in my head.

On the other hand, I sing Party Rock Anthem and am far better at putting him to sleep so make of that what you will.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Renegret posted:

Swim so wild and swim so free

I just can't stop thinking about that little white whale on the go.

:3:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

PerniciousKnid posted:

When my daughter was a little over a year old she had a couple of weeks where if she was upset about something she would stand with her knees slightly bent and her fists clutched at her side screaming like she was powering up to fight Goku.

She's since switched to the more traditional face down on the floor style of tantrum.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
My daughter (2.5 yrs old) is doing really well at potty training. She mostly poops at school, so I don't see it very often, but over the weekend she went twice at home and I noticed a very strange behavior. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not.

After she hops down from the potty and it's time to wipe, she bends over, puts her hands on the ground, and spreads her legs apart a little. This makes it very easy to reach her butt to clean it, but it just looks super weird, and she's never done it before that I've seen. Is this something her daycare would have taught her to make it easier for them to clean, and if so, is this a normal thing for a daycare to do? She only does it after pooping, not after peeing, and never while just playing around/clothed. I asked her where she learned it but she's at the age where she'll just agree with anything, so if I ask if it was at school, she'll say "yah at school". If I asked her if she learned it on Mars, she'd say "yah on Mars".

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
That's how my butt got wiped when I was a little kid.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

The Pirate Captain posted:

My daughter (2.5 yrs old) is doing really well at potty training. She mostly poops at school, so I don't see it very often, but over the weekend she went twice at home and I noticed a very strange behavior. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not.

After she hops down from the potty and it's time to wipe, she bends over, puts her hands on the ground, and spreads her legs apart a little. This makes it very easy to reach her butt to clean it, but it just looks super weird, and she's never done it before that I've seen. Is this something her daycare would have taught her to make it easier for them to clean, and if so, is this a normal thing for a daycare to do? She only does it after pooping, not after peeing, and never while just playing around/clothed. I asked her where she learned it but she's at the age where she'll just agree with anything, so if I ask if it was at school, she'll say "yah at school". If I asked her if she learned it on Mars, she'd say "yah on Mars".

I guess I don't know if it's normal everywhere, but that's what my daughter's daycare taught as well. Even for regular poopy diaper changes I think that's what they had her do once she was in the toddler class, ages ~2.5 and up, so it seems pretty normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Pirate Captain posted:

That's exactly how they did it at my daughter's daycare as well. They called it "bootin' up." It was awesome. Before she was good at wiping herself, we'd just say "Boot up!" and bam, butt in the air. And no it wasn't "booty up" they say "boot up" and "bootin' up" at school ha. No idea.