Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Kind of invalidated by the raid thing though. Also still needs a way to give a pokemon it’s ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I'll take these changes with a grin. Removal of the idiotic vitamin cap means no more pokerus song-and-dance EV training, which means repetitive EV stat boost leveling is now optional.
Changing abilities and personalities means no more soft-resetting endless hours and quicker breeding. Passing egg-moves made simpler means the end of convoluted chain breeding schemes. It's like someone finally sat down to play the games and went "wait a moment, this poo poo is awful!"

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Holy poo poo the ability to change natures on the fly is a game changer for me. I cannot tell you how many hours I've wasted trying to get perfect IV's for a specific nature.

Speaking of which, did they mention how IV's will work? Is it like Sun and Moon where there are bottle caps only usable at level 100? I cant watch the video do to me being at work :smith:.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I'll never use any of these features, but I'm very glad they're in the game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Avalerion posted:

Kind of invalidated by the raid thing though. Also still needs a way to give a pokemon it’s ha.

Yeah good luck getting a gigantamax pokemon with a HA.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mesadoram posted:

Holy poo poo the ability to change natures on the fly is a game changer for me. I cannot tell you how many hours I've wasted trying to get perfect IV's for a specific nature.

Speaking of which, did they mention how IV's will work? Is it like Sun and Moon where there are bottle caps only usable at level 100? I cant watch the video do to me being at work :smith:.

I feel like an everstone makes getting a specific nature trivial - its the IVs that are the pain.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dienes posted:

I feel like an everstone makes getting a specific nature trivial - its the IVs that are the pain.

I thought bottle caps made IVs irrelevant for a few gens now? Unless you’re still hunting high/6IVs for breeding purposes?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I thought bottle caps made IVs irrelevant for a few gens now? Unless you’re still hunting high/6IVs for breeding purposes?

Bottle caps requiring you to grind to level 100 isn't actually much better than either breeding for a decent set, or hacking.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They had several issues. You have to grind the Pokemon up to 100 to use them. They were also stupid rare in Gen VII, but that's being fixed in Gen VIII since you can just buy them with BP now. Another problem is that they only set the IV to 31. There are some cases where you want 0 IVs in a stat instead. Also that's not even getting into the clusterfuck that is Hidden Power.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You can now renickname traded Pokemon if they didn't have a nickname in the first place. However the nickname you give it is permanent.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Gruckles posted:

Bottle caps requiring you to grind to level 100 isn't actually much better than either breeding for a decent set, or hacking.

In addition to that, getting the caps is a pain. In LGPE, you can only get one a day from Mina. In USUM, you have to either get 30 consecutive victories in the Battle Tree, get really lucky while fishing, or get lucky in one of a couple Festival Plaza shops.

A regular bottle cap only does a single stat, so if you have more than one that needs fixing, you get to do it all over again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dienes posted:

In addition to that, getting the caps is a pain. In LGPE, you can only get one a day from Mina. In USUM, you have to either get 30 consecutive victories in the Battle Tree, get really lucky while fishing, or get lucky in one of a couple Festival Plaza shops.

A regular bottle cap only does a single stat, so if you have more than one that needs fixing, you get to do it all over again.

If you get Battle Agency to 50 you can get easy gold bottlecaps.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

RatHat posted:

Oh ?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Araxxor posted:

You can now renickname traded Pokemon if they didn't have a nickname in the first place. However the nickname you give it is permanent.
What an arbitrary choice.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What an arbitrary choice.

Probably just a case of lazy programming since they decided they really don't want you changing the nicknames of traded Pokemon for some reason. "Does it have a nickname? No, then it has the can be nicknamed flag." And then nicknaming it gets rid of the flag.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's a cool concept and they're neat designs. jesus, lighten up.

The designs suck and he's allowed to say that they suck.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Araxxor posted:

Probably just a case of lazy programming since they decided they really don't want you changing the nicknames of traded Pokemon for some reason. "Does it have a nickname? No, then it has the can be nicknamed flag." And then nicknaming it gets rid of the flag.

you can also turn off nicknames all together if the one screenshot menu is to be believed?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Good to know that dragons still evolve stupid-late

Granted, with how easy leveling has become since Gen V, 60's not as daunting as it used to be

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Araxxor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWGGtKgalDo

We got nature changing mints.

They got rid of the 10 cap on vitamins. You can now use up to 26 on a stat.

Pokemon in the daycare can pass their egg moves to each other. No breeding required.

They also introduced experience candies. Gives a set amount of XP, allowing for multiple level ups in some cases.

Oh hell yes.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Some of you people complaining about the leveling to 100, Were you alive when Blue and Red came out for the gameboy?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RatHat posted:

My festival plaza is already full. :colbert:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ka0 posted:

Some of you people complaining about the leveling to 100, Were you alive when Blue and Red came out for the gameboy?

We had Dodrio Tower then.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Ka0 posted:

Yeah I had a kabutops I kept trading between R/B/Y/G/S/C and in 21 years that's the only pokemon I've ever taken to level 100.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

less laughter posted:

We had Dodrio Tower then.

I didn't. It took 9 year old me months to get my Venusaur to level 100. But it felt *so rewarding* back then.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Ka0 posted:

Oh yeah, we used Missingno to get infinite rare candies :science:

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
can you imagine how sick this game would be if it had the national dex on top of everything else we know

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Live Free posted:

can you imagine how sick this game would be if it had the national dex on top of everything else we know

Honestly that's the crushing part. The game has some incredible ideas and QoL changes, and I love the new designs. But the inexplicable National Dex changes just sting, even if I probably wouldn't even use the National Dex.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ka0 posted:

yeah and leveling to 100 was still too much work when i was 7 and had all the free time in the world

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
switch has so many franchise entries that are either best in series or best in a long time. I feel like this would be one if dexit wasn't hanging over its head. here's hoping for all our boys to come back soon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Live Free posted:

You're right and it is genuinely sad.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Pentaro posted:

Oh yeah, we used Missingno to get infinite rare candies :science:

I was the idiot who duped my Ultra Balls, luckily level 81 Venosaur was still a shitwrecker.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

they should have gone all in on the Wild Area and use that as the basis of every area/route with Pokémon. Having the “new” way of looking /catching Pokémon be this walled off garden whole every other route is exactly as every other game is real dumb.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah and leveling to 100 was still too much work when i was 7 and had all the free time in the world

Grind those Chanseys

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Live Free posted:

switch has so many franchise entries that are either best in series or best in a long time.

Pity about the lovely thumbsticks huh.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

they should have gone all in on the Wild Area and use that as the basis of every area/route with Pokémon. Having the “new” way of looking /catching Pokémon be this walled off garden whole every other route is exactly as every other game is real dumb.

This game could be a test run for that. For all we know, they wanted one last traditional style game with a prototype of their new idea baked into it, and then the next follow up would go all in on the Wild Area for a true series evolution.

But unfortunately I kinda doubt it.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Ka0 posted:

Pity about the lovely thumbsticks huh.

the drift thing is wack but hopefully gets fixed soon, other than that I don't mind them a bit

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Live Free posted:

It'd be worse

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Countblanc posted:

It'd be worse

galaxy brain

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

RatHat posted:

According to the website the chances of a Dynamax pokemon appearing as Gigantamax is normally "very, very small".
:shepicide:

it's super cool how they made a bunch of new special forms for new and old pokemon and then arbitrarily made the ability to actually use said pokemon stupidly rare

Araxxor posted:

We got nature changing mints.

They got rid of the 10 cap on vitamins. You can now use up to 26 on a stat.

Pokemon in the daycare can pass their egg moves to each other. No breeding required.
nice
don't care about vitamins because they're always expensive and all money should be going towards fashion anyways, but egg move fuckery/nature mints is convenient as hell

Live Free posted:

the drift thing is wack but hopefully gets fixed soon, other than that I don't mind them a bit
seeing as that's caused by them cheaping out on materials for the joysticks, it can't BE fixed without changing hardware

and seeing as they used the same exact joysticks for the SwitchLite, which doesn't even have removeable joycons, yeah, it won't ever be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Somehow I’ll manage to have fun with only 400 Pokémon.