Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I reckon Robinhood's trying to keep themselves differentiated in a broker market where all the big players decided to also drop commissions. I think they're the only ones with commission free options trading still, but I'll take paying commissions over my brokerage shuttering because they go bankrupt calculating margin wrong (or because the SEC shutters them because they were calculating margin wrong) and having to chase my account balance through SIPC through months on end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
By the time you've read the 5th RH story from WSB (now with > 4M of shadow margin created out of thin air) and realized that there could be two, ten or a hundred times as many people playing this game with other wagers and NOT posting about it, if you have even a single red cent in a RH account you'd better get that poo poo out to a reputable brokerage YESTERDAY.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Why does that sub casually throw around the words "retard" and "autist" like it's a hilarious sub for a wannabe investor?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

Why does that sub casually throw around the words "retard" and "autist" like it's a hilarious sub for a wannabe investor?
Because harsh language is socially associated with toughness and clout because of the schoolyard days of yore, you idiot.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
It's basically /biz/ but with a ban on talking about crypto

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

As a person who doesn't know poo poo about stock trading or margins besides "index funds good", can someone tell me if these people with their $1mil+ in RH balances from gaming this bug actually have the ability to cash this out...?

Edit: ok I found an article that explains it a bit more clearly https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-05/robinhood-has-a-glitch-that-gives-traders-infinite-leverage

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Sirotan posted:

As a person who doesn't know poo poo about stock trading or margins besides "index funds good", can someone tell me if these people with their $1mil+ in RH balances from gaming this bug actually have the ability to cash this out...?
What does your heart tell you?

(it's extremely unlikely any of them will walk away with cash)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It'd be funny if RH confiscated any earnings from the leverage gambles and called it a TOS violation. (But who am I kidding, most of these people are going to gently caress it up hard and bet on green.)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The only position I've seen go positive was someone who played long-AMD straight with 1.7M of leverage and made like 75k on a 4.5% uptick in the underlying security. I don't know what he's going to do, or if he had the good sense to cash this out, but yeah I would imagine they'd seize the funds as being in violation of their ToS.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I am sure the RH organization is calling every lawyer they can find to decide what to do to limit their exposure to the SEC

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It's been like a week. At this point the fact the haven't fixed it must mean that either they can't or they won't.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

They attempted a hot fix this morning, disabling buying/selling deep ITM calls. The fact that this is what they're attempting means almost certainly the way margin is calculated is deeply integrated into the platform and would take the whole ship down if they tried to fix it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Other than the SEC violations what's happening to the money that doesn't exist that was being used to secure these positions in the first place? WSB is a pretty popular sub on Reddit, there could be an insane amount of this happening. I guess the individuals are on the hook, but these are largely poorish 20 something's so it's not like they are gonna pay it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

Other than the SEC violations what's happening to the money that doesn't exist that was being used to secure these positions in the first place? WSB is a pretty popular sub on Reddit, there could be an insane amount of this happening. I guess the individuals are on the hook, but these are largely poorish 20 something's so it's not like they are gonna pay it.
The disruptor has become the disrupted.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

We're either going to see an absolute cherry bomb of financial reporting about the amount of shadow leverage these traders generated or, more likely, RH is going to pay all of this out of the VC lewt they're rolling in and bury the story so their imminent IPO goes off without a hitch.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We're either going to see an absolute cherry bomb of financial reporting about the amount of shadow leverage these traders generated or, more likely, RH is going to pay all of this out of the VC lewt they're rolling in and bury the story so their imminent IPO goes off without a hitch.

There was a Bloomberg article on this yesterday. Complete with a screenshot of a wsb redditor doing the glitch.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Fhqwhgads posted:

There was a Bloomberg article on this yesterday. Complete with a screenshot of a wsb redditor doing the glitch.

Yeah but it's not one or even 5 people who've done this - I bet it's upwards of 50 and the Bloomberg piece was exceedingly short on details (and schadenfreude) for the trading platform who I'm sure scrambled to kill as much of the content as possible.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

The money definitely exists, it's just Robinhood's money that they're stupidly lending to their users. In theory RH can go after the individuals in question for any negative balances that result but in practice they're probably on the hook for all of that.

They may try to unwind some of the trades if it gets bad enough but I have no idea how they'd go about doing that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

RH is going to pay all of this out of the VC lewt they're rolling in and bury the story so their imminent IPO goes off without a hitch.

The fedora wearing Reddit version of Robin Hood, stealing from the rich to give to the stupid

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

What's that saying? If you owe robinhood 50K, that's your problem. If 1000 redditors owe robinhood a million dollars, that's robinhood's problem

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BMan posted:

What's that saying? If you owe robinhood 50K, that's your problem. If 1000 redditors owe robinhood a million dollars, that's robinhood's problem

All I'm taking from this is that we should all sign up and make $$$.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

They've disabled the underlying "trick" by not allowing you to trade deeply ITM options (hence the best and fastest way to turbocharge your leverage is gone) and any play that makes sense (i.e. a long timeframe hold) will get absolutely destroyed by the theta decay on your leverage are some words people said on the internet so I'm not going to do it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Given everything else RH has hosed up, has anyone tried depositing a negative amount of money into their trading account just on the off-chance it works? :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Theta decay on leverage? Uuuuugh.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm just assuming theta decay refers to the angle of the downward red line on the graph of a RH user's net worth since I'm learning trig right now.

No one can tell me otherwise :colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BMan posted:

probably gonna need to stick another zero on it tbh

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sundae posted:

Given everything else RH has hosed up, has anyone tried depositing a negative amount of money into their trading account just on the off-chance it works? :v:

If you successfully deposited -$1, you could end up owning all the money in the entire world.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shut up Meg posted:

If you successfully deposited -$1, you could end up owning all the money in the entire world.

My bank account is LITERALLY OVERFLOWING. :signings:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sundae posted:

My bank account is LITERALLY OVERFLOWING. :signings:

:thurman:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/zebulgar/status/1192198379859636225?s=21

BWVC

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

This slide is some extremely advanced naked grift

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

They've disabled the underlying "trick" by not allowing you to trade deeply ITM options (hence the best and fastest way to turbocharge your leverage is gone) and any play that makes sense (i.e. a long timeframe hold) will get absolutely destroyed by the theta decay on your leverage are some words people said on the internet so I'm not going to do it.

Can we counter this with chroniton radiation and a tachyon beam, mister Spock?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

theta decay on your leverage are some words people said on the internet so I'm not going to do it.

theta decay is describing that as an option gets closer to its expiration, it is worth less. If you consider two option contracts for 100 shares of SPY at 307, one that expires on 15 Nov is worth less than one that expires on 20 Dec. The extrinsic value of a contract (everything that isn't however far in the money it is) trends toward 0, reaching 0 at expiration.

For the stupid covered call leverage that the WSB clown was doing, he was selling calls so collecting premium now for the liability in the future of selling at the strike. Theta would have made the calls he sold worth less, so he could buy them back for a profit later, but SEC Regulation T still makes the whole plan a bad idea.

For what people are talking about it's probably a synthetic stock (Buy a call and sell a put), where you do get absurd leverage and a profit/loss mirroring owning stock, but the call you bought loses value with every day that you hold it.

Basically he dumb, and you shouldn't play with margin, and if you do play with margin, you should drat well understand all the ways that you'll get burned... which leads back to don't play with margin.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Asleep Style posted:

This slide is some extremely advanced naked grift

I'm really hoping the PDF that guy uploaded is real.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I knew a guy in undergrad who ended up working for the vampire squid in their 1000x leverage desk. He put it as their desk for if institutions want to yolo

Wonder what's he thinking now. Gonna email him

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Re: softbank silliness, how about this slide deck about their 30 year vision. It's really something.

PDF warning
https://cdn.group.softbank/en/corp/set/data/irinfo/presentations/vod/2010/pdf/press_20100625_01.pdf

movax
Aug 30, 2008

cage-free egghead posted:

I mean, the description is "4chan + Bloomberg Terminal"

It's edgy, you autist

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Guinness posted:

Re: softbank silliness, how about this slide deck about their 30 year vision. It's really something.

PDF warning
https://cdn.group.softbank/en/corp/set/data/irinfo/presentations/vod/2010/pdf/press_20100625_01.pdf

um excuse me but I think you mis-labeled this. Clearly the slides indicate that this is their 300 year vision.

Way to live in the past. Enjoy all your despair while I'm over here being touched by seeing.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

As a comment on the thread said: EBITNAH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Guinness posted:

PDF warning

Pro click for sure