Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
My interpretation with "do you know" type checks is that everyone rolls them and the appropriate skill is basically the likelihood to know a specific piece of knowledge. The sage wizard is much likely to know about say, odd spell effects, but him rolling a 2 and the fighter rolling a nat 20 is another way of saying "Wiz doesn't know everything, but it turns out that Jocky McMuscles has seen this before when he fought against the dark witches of something-or--other". I see it as a good opportunity for improvising and character building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

JustJeff88 posted:

My interpretation with "do you know" type checks is that everyone rolls them and the appropriate skill is basically the likelihood to know a specific piece of knowledge. The sage wizard is much likely to know about say, odd spell effects, but him rolling a 2 and the fighter rolling a nat 20 is another way of saying "Wiz doesn't know everything, but it turns out that Jocky McMuscles has seen this before when he fought against the dark witches of something-or--other". I see it as a good opportunity for improvising and character building.

The problem with everyone rolls rolls is that statistically, someone's gonna roll high in a normal group regardless of what anyone's skills are so if it's basically a near guaranteed success why even roll?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Glagha posted:

The problem with everyone rolls rolls is that statistically, someone's gonna roll high in a normal group regardless of what anyone's skills are so if it's basically a near guaranteed success why even roll?

In this case, to see who knows.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Glagha posted:

It's a good question. Why even roll? 90% of the time that's the answer to this question, just give them the exposition and keep the game moving and engaging. The other 5%, you're rolling that skill to decide how well they succeed, and the final 5% is in combat where dice and turns are more meaningful.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Rolling with no chance of failure?

Everyone makes an X, Y, or Z check, highest result gets to tell us how they overcame the obstacle.

Then, if applicable:

Highest roll describes how they helped everyone else.

Second highest roll describes how they assisted.

Lowest roll describes how they hosed up and what it cost them.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I like your style Elector_Nerdlingen, sounds like my kind of fun. Different games have different tastes but the people I've played D&D with would basically agree with your interpretations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
the thing I have the largest problem with is reliance on secret doors to get to the plot critical portions of the map, in official modules.

It's just like, fiiiine you fuckers I will have this NPC will "Hey Listen" the secret door.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

yeah that's pretty bad. I've run a couple modules where players were paralyzed with indecision by things like, "Hey a gigantic blue dragon is attacking the castle. the story assumes you want to rush in as a bunch of level 1 guys and make the dragon leave, right? :smug:"

secret doors are a bad idea if there is a chance that nobody in the party has that specific skill. you might as well have a "recommended party composition" section in your campaign module with stat blocks and skills. 2 tanks, 2 dps, 1 heals, 1 support LFG - LMoP (lost mines of phandelver).

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
That is extremely good  Elector_Nerdlingen and I should use it.

Dexo posted:

the thing I have the largest problem with is reliance on secret doors to get to the plot critical portions of the map, in official modules.

It's just like, fiiiine you fuckers I will have this NPC will "Hey Listen" the secret door.
I prefer to make the hidden door a little more obvious. Bookcases, curtains, a rug that looks bumped or askew. Even if you fail the passive check, there's always listening to the GM's descriptions.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
If there's a secret door, it should lead to a bonus room or an alternate path, so that it's OK if it gets skipped. If it really has to lead to something plot-critical, there are multiple ways to find out about it.

This also applies to metaphorical secret doors in the adventure structure.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

KingKalamari posted:

I feel like 2 can occasionally be disregarded in cases like keeping watch or other activities where the roll is for the player's to anticipate something. Basically if the player's are setting up a watch at camp for the night I'd want them to always roll perception for each watch as having them only do so if they're going to get ambushed is going to telegraph what's going to happen. You could theoretically get around this by only using passive perception for watches but I feel like that could potentially skew the odds against the players as they wouldn't be able to take advantage of things like having multiple people on watch at once to gain advantage on the check.

Otherwise, yeah, definitely agree to only have players roll when success and failure are of consequence.
Advantage adds +5 to a passive check :eng101: but yeah, setting up camp would fall under the "special occasions" clause. Searching and spotting is a general RPG problem that's way too involved to go into on my phone but 4e and 5e's passive perception is a the best solution so far. If you get your players /and yourself/ used to when you use passive and when you use active then it really cuts down on roll bloat. Always rolling for watch even if there's nothing there is good since it's minimally time consuming compared to the benefit. Everyone rolling in sequence every time they enter a new room in case this one has a potion in it, not so much, unless you're specifically running that kind of game and there's some kind of opportunity cost.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Rolling with no chance of failure?

Everyone makes an X, Y, or Z check, highest result gets to tell us how they overcame the obstacle.

Then, if applicable:

Highest roll describes how they helped everyone else.

Second highest roll describes how they assisted.

Lowest roll describes how they hosed up and what it cost them.
Yeah this is a real good tool for the box. It's not suitable for all scenarios, like rolling to see who successfully kicked down the door is a bit overkill, but the big secret to GMing is there's never any one right answer. You need a big toolbox of potential right answers and a big part of your job is judging which right answer would be most fun right now.

There are definitely wrong answers though:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Adventure Zone have just gone back to 5e,and in the first episode they had 2,maybe 3 "roll to see if you know this thing, oh you rolled kinda poo poo but it's common knowledge so you know it anyway"
And this is a very good post:

Guildencrantz posted:

If there's a secret door, it should lead to a bonus room or an alternate path, so that it's OK if it gets skipped. If it really has to lead to something plot-critical, there are multiple ways to find out about it.

This also applies to metaphorical secret doors in the adventure structure.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 6, 2019

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

It is fun to roll dice

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

It is fun to roll dice

This is why I require my players to roll 3d6 down the line after choosing a class and species. Lower stats, especially in a primary stat, leads to objectively better roleplaying.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is why I require my players to roll 3d6 down the line after choosing a class and species. Lower stats, especially in a primary stat, leads to objectively better roleplaying.

Yes that is exactly what he was saying. Good job.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Verisimilidude posted:

It is fun to roll dice
It is fun to roll dice when it is fun to roll dice. It's not fun to roll dice when it's not fun to roll dice. Sometimes the latter can detract from the former! All things can be done to excess.

Also I know being idiotically reductionist is like, your thing, but please gently caress off we're having an actually interesting discussion.

e: actually the idiotically reductionist guy is someone else, rest still stands.

Dameius posted:

Yes that is exactly what he was saying. Good job.
If it's as simple as "it's fun to roll dice" then all dice rolling is equally fun. If it's more nuanced than that then "it's fun to roll dice" is a real dumb post. It was a pretty good rebuttal.

Sorry I mean "whoosh lol"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 6, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Glagha posted:

It's essentially a lovely sword they can die

It would be super interesting to stat ranger beasts as 'just a GOOD sword that can die' - or more accurately, as effectively ranged weapons you can only use when the figure concerned is adjacent to the target.

You'd have tyo stat them as good ranged weapons, and you'd have to stat them as somehow able to do magical damage because 5e, but other than that it would be a neat solution.

(This would assume they would move when you move, without needing to spend actions on it, and not have their own turn)

There are a whole range of good ways to do pet classes.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Amazing how two separate people can take a very non-controversial statement and blow it meaninglessly out of proportion. I think people need to take a step away from this thread and perhaps D&D as a game because it gets incredibly toxic in here sometimes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

thespaceinvader posted:

It would be super interesting to stat ranger beasts as 'just a GOOD sword that can die' - or more accurately, as effectively ranged weapons you can only use when the figure concerned is adjacent to the target.

You'd have tyo stat them as good ranged weapons, and you'd have to stat them as somehow able to do magical damage because 5e, but other than that it would be a neat solution.

(This would assume they would move when you move, without needing to spend actions on it, and not have their own turn)

There are a whole range of good ways to do pet classes.
4e tries for the it's a sword but good approach, how effectively it was executed is... up for debate.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

Amazing how two separate people can take a very non-controversial statement and blow it meaninglessly out of proportion. I think people need to take a step away from this thread and perhaps D&D as a game because it gets incredibly toxic in here sometimes.

You don't get to dictate who can and can't post in this thread. If you don't want to defend your white noise post, just say so.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Verisimilidude posted:

Oh no I said a stupid thing, time to double down and say stupider things. I'm just making random statements in isolation haha why are you acting like context is real.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I wasn't even responding to either of you and am in complete agreement with literally everything you're both saying though? You both took what I wrote as a jab against you and instead of handling it like adults you decided to get immediately triggered.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Verisimilidude posted:

I wasn't even responding to either of you and am in complete agreement with literally everything you're both saying though? You both took what I wrote as a jab against you and instead of handling it like adults you decided to get immediately triggered.

Go back to 4chan with the triggered poo poo. Also, complaining about everyone getting angry and argumentative, says the person who starts lecturing everyone because like one rear end in a top hat took your post out of proportion and another made a sarcastic statement that could have been just a joke and not even intended as a dig at you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

Speaking of being toxic, you can gently caress off with that garbage.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Splicer posted:

4e tries for the it's a sword but good approach, how effectively it was executed is... up for debate.

I mean, it's not, really.

4e's beastmaster ranger was complete trash, and there were zero effective builds in which the beast did anything other than get in the way, provide combat advantage, and enable bonuses.

4e got the mechanical basis of how the beast worked more or less OK, but the scaling of its attacks was terrible, and essentially all the powers using it were terrible, doubly so on the highest-damage class in the entire game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Glagha posted:

Go back to 4chan with the triggered poo poo. Also, complaining about everyone getting angry and argumentative, says the person who starts lecturing everyone because like one rear end in a top hat took your post out of proportion and another made a sarcastic statement that could have been just a joke and not even intended as a dig at you.
<:mad:>

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Last night my group teleported back to port Nyanzarou after completing the Tomb of Annihilation and I got to spend money for the first time in about 7 levels.

My Paladin now has 23 AC w/ immunity to crits, Resistance to Spell Damage and Advantage on Saves vs Spells. Come at me bro.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Not everyone knows you're a hive mind!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

Last night my group teleported back to port Nyanzarou after completing the Tomb of Annihilation and I got to spend money for the first time in about 7 levels.

My Paladin now has 23 AC w/ immunity to crits, Resistance to Spell Damage and Advantage on Saves vs Spells. Come at me bro.

And then you have no more upgrades to aspire to because 5e’s systems are really shallow?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

And then you have no more upgrades to aspire to because 5e’s systems are really shallow?

Let them have their fun, goddamn.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Sorry, multiple assholes. Multipasshole. Polydickery.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Arivia posted:

haha i know right

My dwarf is very old so if i hit ancients paladin 15 before the end of his natural life he is theoretically immortal tho

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Not everyone knows you're a hive mind!
I am legion, I contain multiturds

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Arivia posted:

what do you do for fun, christ

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Farg posted:

what do you do for fun, christ

be disappointed that this terrible game is the face of the hobby and has done nothing interesting in ~7 years of production

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

change my name posted:

Yeah the way I use history rolls (and my friends do when DMing) is that you have a baseline knowledge of a thing, but the better you do on the roll the more specialized info you have one; IE, recognizing a cult symbol as a cult symbol vs. knowing who it belongs to and some history on that thing.

In the Curse of Strahd game I'm running I have a player running an elf noble with history trained. Since Barovia is it's own demi-plane his characters knowledge of history has been completely useless but the party took over a manor in Vallaki and I've let him roll history to represent how much he's learned and retained from reading the books left behind by the previous owner. It let's him use one of his trained skills and given me the opportunity to let them know lore bits that may have not come up otherwise.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I literally don't remember a 4e beastmaster ranger. What book is it in?

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009

Arivia posted:

be disappointed that this terrible game is the face of the hobby and has done nothing interesting in ~7 years of production

Post somewhere else then?

My stupid paladin got duped into putting on some armor of vulnerability and we don't have anyone with remove curse yet so I'm trolling around in plate about to rolled by the first dude I see with a hammer or knife.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Arivia posted:

:hmmyes:

Opentarget posted:

Post somewhere else then?

:hmmno:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I don't think there was one. There was however a summoner wizard in some book that I don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Martial Power.