Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Family Values posted:

Let me help you generalize: 'Rich people have proved that the SEC is a joke when it goes up against rich people. However the SEC is not a joke if you are not rich.'

Man I need to read No One Would Listen again. Nail on the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AFashionableHat posted:

So this seems good.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-05/robinhood-has-a-glitch-that-gives-traders-infinite-leverage

These are the jackasses who wanted to create a "savings account" that wasn't just...this year? Last year? Time has little meaning anymore.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha

oh my god robinhood continues to deliver

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

what that robin hood thing means is, basically, robinhood accidentally allowed their users to place immense bets on the market that (while theoretically still just the user's loss) is actually heads the user wins, tails robinhood loses

AGAIN

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like it when Robinhood intervened and closed 1R0NYMAN’s positions, freeing him from liability.

They never even contacted him.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

lmao gold dupe bug irl what will they think of next

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

evilweasel posted:

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha

oh my god robinhood continues to deliver

It gets a bit better. Some rear end in a top hat used this to buy a bunch of shorts of Apple stock. Because he felt that it wouldn't meet expectations due to having the most female executives. He found himself ~$60,000 in debt from the $2,000 he put in initially.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

luxury handset posted:

suburbs exists to drive the cost of homeownership low enough to be broadly accessible to the middle class

one of the big struggles millenials have is that they generally don't want to buy homes in the exurbs of mid-tier cities, which is standard path to homeownership in the united states

There's no loving 'want' about it, the job market is such that even as a gen xer I know I will never live in one place long enough to pay off a mortgage, and am still paying student loans while mid-career.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

There's no loving 'want' about it, the job market is such that even as a gen xer I know I will never live in one place long enough to pay off a mortgage, and am still paying student loans while mid-career.

a lot of people don't

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Uber’s stock lockup expires tomorrow, so that should be interesting lol

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm curious to see, in future years, if the concept of having a home town will disintegrate, or if "where are you from?" will be unanswerable for most people. I'm 37 years old and have never lived anywhere longer than five years. Between all the moving my parents had to do and my own career graduating, I've lived in 24 homes across 19 states. My wife isn't quite as extreme but has still never lived anywhere longer than 8 years herself.

The concept of "hometown" doesn't exist to either of us. We don't go "home" for the holidays, we aren't from anywhere, and I can't even get citizenship from my birth country. I highly doubt we're outliers among the old millennials/young X'ers.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sundae posted:

I'm curious to see, in future years, if the concept of having a home town will disintegrate, or if "where are you from?" will be unanswerable for most people. I'm 37 years old and have never lived anywhere longer than five years. Between all the moving my parents had to do and my own career graduating, I've lived in 24 homes across 19 states. My wife isn't quite as extreme but has still never lived anywhere longer than 8 years herself.

The concept of "hometown" doesn't exist to either of us. We don't go "home" for the holidays, we aren't from anywhere, and I can't even get citizenship from my birth country. I highly doubt we're outliers among the old millennials/young X'ers.

I dont mean to pry. But whats your profession? I just want to understand the example better

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I dont mean to pry. But whats your profession? I just want to understand the example better

No worries about prying; I'm pretty open about it over in BFC. My parents and my wife's parents were both military. Mine were relocated every 1-2 years usually, maybe averaging closer to 2.5 or so once a few of the longer 4-5 yr stints are accounted for. I'm in pharmaceutical R&D now, and I ride from one massive set of layoffs / job-hop-to-advance to the next since the industry is only stable for shareholders. :v:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sundae posted:

No worries about prying; I'm pretty open about it over in BFC. My parents and my wife's parents were both military. Mine were relocated every 1-2 years usually, maybe averaging closer to 2.5 or so once a few of the longer 4-5 yr stints are accounted for. I'm in pharmaceutical R&D now, and I ride from one massive set of layoffs / job-hop-to-advance to the next since the industry is only stable for shareholders. :v:

Okay I 100% get your bouncing around state to state etc from that. Your moving for your profession like a loving figurative contractor

I think you are an pretty major outlier though. Most people dont leave their homes permanently or do so once or twice.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Doggles posted:

My girlfriend moved into a newly built place last year. It came with the Ring smart doorbell. The front door has no peephole. She gets a "motion detected at the front door" alert on her phone every time someone parks at any of the other units nearby. And if the internet, router, or Ring servers ever have an interruption in service... :shrug:

Speaking of...

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/1191807646598344710

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Imagine if they sold the data to DHS/ICE/INS... :frogout:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Okay I 100% get your bouncing around state to state etc from that. Your moving for your profession like a loving figurative contractor

I think you are an pretty major outlier though. Most people dont leave their homes permanently or do so once or twice.

It's going to be interesting to see where it goes. A lot of traditionally white-collar jobs can be done from literally anywhere now, because teleconferencing and document sharing has gotten so good, and companies are starting to hesitate to move people to the coasts due to the skyrocketing cost of living in the Bay, Seattle, NYC, and DC. On the other hand, the less skilled workers are more likely to have to move as automation gets rid of blue collar jobs and creates more job deserts like post-industrial Detroit.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sundae posted:

there have always been people who moved around a lot. army brats, migrant ag workers, folks looking to migrate or settle new land. it's never really been a norm but also, people roam

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
According to statistics from the early 2010s, the average American moves 3 times before 18, 6 times between 18 and 45, and 3 more times between 45 and death. The majority of these moves stay in the same area, often same city. Except for big relatively moves like for campus residence/college apartments, and for retirement communities/nursing homes.

Personally i moved twice before 18 (though does it even count when you're an infant?), and six times since then already, with 4 of those moves being within the same areas (thrice in Blacksburg, twice in/near Boston).

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

According to statistics from the early 2010s, the average American moves 3 times before 18, 6 times between 18 and 45, and 3 more times between 45 and death. The majority of these moves stay in the same area, often same city. Except for big relatively moves like for campus residence/college apartments, and for retirement communities/nursing homes.

I'm mad jealous of anyone who moved only three times before they were 18, by that point I think I had lived in 6 different places from Maui to Vermont. As an adult I'm active duty military so moving constantly is all my fault but I have never known an actual hometown like other people.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Softbank lost $4.6b thanks to WeWork, and Masayoshi Son basically called Adam Neumann a con-man without using those precise words.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I don't think being a military brat is all that common tho.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Feinne posted:

Softbank lost $4.6b thanks to WeWork, and Masayoshi Son basically called Adam Neumann a con-man without using those precise words.

Is it a con if he tells you exactly what he's going to do with your money, then does just that? They're supposed to be sophisticated investors, they bought into his 'vision' while the whole of the wider world was telling them how stupid it was.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

peanut- posted:

Is it a con if he tells you exactly what he's going to do with your money, then does just that? They're supposed to be sophisticated investors, they bought into his 'vision' while the whole of the wider world was telling them how stupid it was.

To his credit the quote I saw suggests Son does in fact feel pretty foolish for trusting him at least, which is probably the closest thing a billionaire can come to emotion.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't think being a military brat is all that common tho.

But moving to where the jobs are at any given moment sure is.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Feinne posted:

This is what I found for this quote

quote:

"We created a monster," Son has told colleagues, according to the paper. And in reference to Neumann: "We gave him all the capital."

I didn't see the con-man part. This is more interesting to me:

quote:

"If SoftBank says this is the value, how much of that should you believe?" the Financial Times quoted Kirk Boodry, a technology analyst at Redex Holdings who publishes on Smartkarma, a research platform, as saying.

It never dawned on me but its now kind of obvious that private investments in these companies means that the buyer gets to declare the value of an asset as its paid for and a lot of people pretend that the value is accurate instead of being skeptical. I can't believe that never really hit me before but I also can't fathom why someone would accept such a claim to value. I guess there isn't any other alternative and the rewards for playing the game are so great.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MickeyFinn posted:

It never dawned on me but its now kind of obvious that private investments in these companies means that the buyer gets to declare the value of an asset as its paid for and a lot of people pretend that the value is accurate instead of being skeptical. I can't believe that never really hit me before but I also can't fathom why someone would accept such a claim to value. I guess there isn't any other alternative and the rewards for playing the game are so great.

Yeah, it's pump-and-dump. I'm sure that SoftBank will survive this with ease, they can't be hiding other overvalued assets or revenues. :angel:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AceOfFlames posted:

But moving to where the jobs are at any given moment sure is.

Or the rent is cheap. Or which one of your parents talks you into moving in with them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Huh. I just did a quick count, and my husband and I have lived in 4 different geographic locations in our 35 years of marriage. We are nomads, following the migrating software jobs as is our ancient custom.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mister Facetious posted:

Imagine if they sold the data to DHS/ICE/INS... :frogout:

As opposed to what they do now which is give it to them for free?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

fishmech posted:

Personally i moved twice before 18 (though does it even count when you're an infant?), and six times since then already, with 4 of those moves being within the same areas (thrice in Blacksburg, twice in/near Boston).

Credit where it's due - thanks for posting stats on this! :)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...88b6_story.html

quote:

A pedestrian killed when she was struck by a self-driving Uber SUV last year probably would have been saved if the company had not disabled the automatic emergency braking feature that came with the vehicle, according to new documents released Tuesday by federal investigators.

Uber retrofitted the Volvo XC90 with sensors and computers as part of an aggressive bid to make quick progress in the highly competitive world of autonomous vehicles. But to avoid interference with its self-driving testing on public roads, Uber actively blocked the Volvo from slamming on the brakes in an emergency.

However, documents released Tuesday by the National Transportation Safety Board show Uber’s self-driving system was programmed using faulty assumptions about how some road users might behave. Despite having enough time to stop before hitting 49-year-old Elaine Herzberg — nearly 6 seconds — the system repeatedly failed to accurately classify her as a pedestrian or to understand she was pushing her bike across lanes of traffic on a Tempe, Ariz., street shortly before 10 p.m.

Uber’s automated driving system “never classified her as a pedestrian — or predicted correctly her goal as a jaywalking pedestrian or a cyclist” — because she was crossing in an area with no crosswalk, NTSB investigators found. “The system design did not include a consideration for jaywalking pedestrians.”

So who gets charged with manslaughter in the alternate universe where tech companies don't get to literally get away with murder?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Family Values posted:

Let me help you generalize: 'Rich people have proved that the SEC is a joke when it goes up against rich people. However the SEC is not a joke if you are not rich.'

Everybody should read The Chickenshit Club: Why the Justice Department Fails to Prosecute Executives by Jesse Eisinger about the failure of DOJ/SEC in prosecuting white collar crime.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

duz posted:

As opposed to what they do now which is give it to them for free?

I accidentally had an attack of optimism that such wasn't the case.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. I just did a quick count, and my husband and I have lived in 4 different geographic locations in our 35 years of marriage. We are nomads, following the migrating software jobs as is our ancient custom.

Migrant software engineers...

Now this is the tech thread post i was looking for

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

GrandpaPants posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...88b6_story.html

So who gets charged with manslaughter in the alternate universe where tech companies don't get to literally get away with murder?

Doesn't take into account that jaywalkers exist :stonklol:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/maxwellstrachan/status/1192140451178012672

Good luck with that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ceciliakang/status/1192159161007693828

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

*scam host checks his e-mail*

"From: AirBnB: Click the link to verify your listing!"

*clicks*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wait wait wait

I was certain they said all their listings were already verified!