Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Aren’t death guard ~half of the chaos list that basically won every major tournament for most of this year?

Paired with tzeentch stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Also I think DG are one of like 3 armies that have actual good terminators.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 5, 2019

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Kinda feeling like a grot today, kicked around and abused by the big green bourgeoisie... At least my incursors and infiltrators came in today so I can look forward to assembling the meat of my army tonight after work.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
BourgOrksie

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
What are the pipe things supposed to be on the CSM models? The BSF Chaos lord have loads of them and I don't know what colour to paint them.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Muppetjedi posted:

What are the pipe things supposed to be on the CSM models? The BSF Chaos lord have loads of them and I don't know what colour to paint them.

The motif I've seen in the latest model releases seems to be powered armor cabling with its jacket either (A) wearing away from many millenia of battle, or (B) slowly turning into flesh as the armor fuses with its wearer.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Two Beans posted:

Working on a kitbash for a Thousand Sons flavored Lord Discordant. Here's where I'm at so far.

This is awesome.

That being said, have I missed the news and Thousand Sons can run disco lords now, or was your plan to run a thousand sons themed CSM equivalent?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

queef anxiety posted:

death guard are hella fun to paint but are pretty average/bad on the TT if that matters to you

I just paint minis for fun/relaxation. I don't play the tabletop game.

I've done the Easy-to-Build Death Guard in the past, and I like how they came out (probably because you can screw up a bit and they still look pretty good), and I thought the contrast paints would work well with them for giving them a grungy, messy look.

I've also thought about doing Thousand Sons as well, and some of the colors for Thousands Sons I was going to use for Sisters of Battle when they come out. For the most part, I wanted to do something with the 'vanilla' Chaos Space Marine models.

Are the Thousand Sons all Rubric Marines, or are there some regular, non-dust marines in their ranks?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Max Wilco posted:

Are the Thousand Sons all Rubric Marines, or are there some regular, non-dust marines in their ranks?

The sorcerers and aspiring sorcerers are all guys whose will was strong enough to avoid getting dusted by the Rubric, and now they get to command their former fellows.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Stephenls posted:

The sorcerers and aspiring sorcerers are all guys whose will was strong enough to avoid getting dusted by the Rubric, and now they get to command their former fellows.

Oh, right. That I knew about. What I meant were the rank-and-file, standard infantry troops. I figured maybe they had lost some of the original 'all is dust' Rubric Marines in various battles over time, and so they had to conscript new, non-dust marines from other legions or something to replace them.

My reason for asking was to see if it was possible to have a Thousand Sons army with regular CSMs in it, painted in Thousand Sons colors.

EDIT: From one of the Warhammer wikis:

quote:

Legion Recruitment

The XV Legion was initially created from Terran stock. After his genetic-sons of the XV Legion were reunited with their Primarch, Magnus the Red's pact with Tzeentch was sealed; only one in a thousand Battle-Brothers were spared from the further corruption of the Flesh-Change. Throughout the rest of the Great Crusade, the Legion recruited exclusively from Prospero, despite the fact that the isolated world possessed only a small population with low genetic diversity. Though new recruits were only culled for the Legion in small numbers, many of them were psychically gifted. This resulted in the Thousand Sons being a smaller Legion than was common amongst their fellow Astartes.

Currently it is unknown how the Legion is able to maintain its current strength. It was once observed that the Legion has performed what appeared to be some sort of resurrection ritual for a slain Thousand Son Astartes. This magical conjuration allowed the XV Legion's Chaos Sorcerers to summon the spirits of deceased Thousand Sons from the Warp so they could possess a mortal body. The Sorcerers were able to use either a living body or a deceased shell for the embodiment of the dead souls. It made no particular difference for the ritual which was used, as both were effective. These newly possessed bodies then transformed into reborn Thousand Sons Battle-Brothers, maintaining the always small numbers of the XV Legion even after their fall to Chaos.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 6, 2019

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Aren’t death guard ~half of the chaos list that basically won every major tournament for most of this year?

iirc it's not death guard, but Demons of Nurgle that get paired with Thousand Sons. Lots of plague bearers screening a bunch of sorcerers is the basic idea.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

DandyLion posted:

This is awesome.

That being said, have I missed the news and Thousand Sons can run disco lords now, or was your plan to run a thousand sons themed CSM equivalent?

Thousand Sons cannot run them, correct. My Lost Sons (who identify as Thousand Sons) can since I use the CSM book for their army list like how you've already guessed.

e: More pics here: https://imgur.com/a/42mXBmd

e2: here's my ForgeSphinx (Forgefiend/Warsphinx kitbash) as well:

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 6, 2019

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Oh, right. That I knew about. What I meant were the rank-and-file, standard infantry troops. I figured maybe they had lost some of the original 'all is dust' Rubric Marines in various battles over time, and so they had to conscript new, non-dust marines from other legions or something to replace them.

My reason for asking was to see if it was possible to have a Thousand Sons army with regular CSMs in it, painted in Thousand Sons colors.

EDIT: From one of the Warhammer wikis:

Lore wise I believe there are a few marines that survived the rubric that weren't powerful sorcerers, but not enough to fill out squads.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I assume that the Thousand Sons themselves just never grow in size, but any splinter groups/Chapters that fall to Tzeench by necessity use the Rubric to make more dusty boys.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I assume that the Thousand Sons themselves just never grow in size, but any splinter groups/Chapters that fall to Tzeench by necessity use the Rubric to make more dusty boys.

I had no idea that they could make more of them. I thought it was a one time epic fuckup.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

JBP posted:

I had no idea that they could make more of them. I thought it was a one time epic fuckup.

More of a recent thing, as people pointed out attrition would have ended the Legion by now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Shockeh posted:

More of a recent thing, as people pointed out attrition would have ended the Legion by now.

Sure, but if they know it will dust the new guys wouldn't they avoid it? Or is the explanation that they're avoiding mutations, but probably also just want more robots rather than thinking chaos marines?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am seriously toying with the idea of running a grot heavy force with lots and lots of scratch built conversions. I see lots of stuff online built of white plastic that seems to come in all kinds of useful shapes. Where can I learn more about modeling stuff like this? I want to make grot chariots.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JBP posted:

Sure, but if they know it will dust the new guys wouldn't they avoid it? Or is the explanation that they're avoiding mutations, but probably also just want more robots rather than thinking chaos marines?

New guys may not get a choice.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

JBP posted:

Read about how TSons get pilots for their Helbrutes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kitchner posted:

New guys may not get a choice.

Yeah this is what I assumed. They're just fresh robots to the sorcerors.

Two Beans posted:

Read about how TSons get pilots for their Helbrutes.

I will :ohdear:

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

Two Beans posted:

Thousand Sons cannot run them, correct. My Lost Sons (who identify as Thousand Sons) can since I use the CSM book for their army list like how you've already guessed.

e: More pics here: https://imgur.com/a/42mXBmd

e2: here's my ForgeSphinx (Forgefiend/Warsphinx kitbash) as well:

This thing is loving metal as hell.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
My Kill Team roster. The "Corrosun Purifiers" my very first painted miniatures, obviously not as great as some of the other things posted here but I wanted to share my progress anyway. The big guys in the back are my Ogryn/Bullgryn proxies made from ambots (thanks to whomever suggested this). They fight hard and die hard and are an absolute blast to play, I had a lot of fun building and painting these dudes. Any suggestions on improving my painting game are greatly appreciated.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I really dig the paint and basing on those dudes! Nice work man, would love to play against!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Bob Wins posted:

My Kill Team roster. The "Corrosun Purifiers" my very first painted miniatures, obviously not as great as some of the other things posted here but I wanted to share my progress anyway. The big guys in the back are my Ogryn/Bullgryn proxies made from ambots (thanks to whomever suggested this). They fight hard and die hard and are an absolute blast to play, I had a lot of fun building and painting these dudes. Any suggestions on improving my painting game are greatly appreciated.

Nice, I was actually wondering about the new Scions because I have a bunch of the old kasrkin models with a paint job I really like but wasn't sure whether the new Scions looked good with camo but apparently they do

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
those guys look really cool, but I can't shake the suspicion they work for the Night Lords.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
Never really thought about it until now but I do totally see the night lords comparison, at my local FLGS I got a few guys saying my guys looked like they worked for Cobra from GI Joe.

My homebrew lore is that these guys come from a system of moderately developed mineral rich cool climate worlds that support a single Forge world. Recently the sector has developed a bit of a genestealer cult problem, and while every uprising has been squashed, they seem to be ramping up in frequency. (my local meta is full of cult players and they are a faction that I have a lot of wins against)

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I guess if you count 3 Pb and a dp being the only DG part of the armies. If plague bearers get nerfed in CA idk how they're gonna hold up outside of kitchen table games as dread spam isn't what it used to be with sm being so good.

Excited for new EC/WE rules even if it does delay their codex for another year :negative:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

queef anxiety posted:

I guess if you count 3 Pb and a dp being the only DG part of the armies. If plague bearers get nerfed in CA idk how they're gonna hold up outside of kitchen table games as dread spam isn't what it used to be with sm being so good.

Excited for new EC/WE rules even if it does delay their codex for another year :negative:

Heck yeah. I thought the death blight lord terminators were competitive and also basically the only competitive terminators in 40k.

Emperors Children would be freaking rad as heck!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Does anyone have experience with those Leviathan models from DreamForge Games? Currently they're having a liquidating sale and it's just 25 dollars for one of them and they're the same size and shape as a knight. Are they actually a good kit?

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Wins posted:

Great paint job! I haven’t put bullgryns into any of my lists despite their usefulness just because I hate the model. Seeing yours just made me buy 2 boxes of ambots!

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

goose willis posted:

Does anyone have experience with those Leviathan models from DreamForge Games? Currently they're having a liquidating sale and it's just 25 dollars for one of them and they're the same size and shape as a knight. Are they actually a good kit?

It seems like there are two sizes, one is a little small and the other is a little big, but they do look like they’re very posable.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

LibCrusher posted:

Great paint job! I haven’t put bullgryns into any of my lists despite their usefulness just because I hate the model. Seeing yours just made me buy 2 boxes of ambots!

Thanks! I wrote a guide on how I did it if you’re interested but it’s a pretty easy kit bash. It really is a good proxy because ambots and bullgryns are nearly identical in size and use the same base. The only thing you might want to do is get some green stuff and fatten it up, the ambots have a really thin waist where the pilots legs should be. I kept everything as is by explaining it away as the forge world my guys are from have a dreadnaught like suit for injured Scions to fight another day.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

goose willis posted:

I hope so, since I ordered four of them a few days back. I picked up four of the chassis plus a ton of weapon options that correspond quite well (in entirely too good a coincidence) with various Knight weapons, particularly Chaos stuff. I had ordered the right-hand claw some time back and attached it to a normal Knight, as a stand-in for the Paragon Gauntlet; it looks decent, if a bit huge. With shipping, four knight knock-offs plus the extra weapons were less than $200, and I'm thinking it'll make a pretty solid set for a near-2k Chaos Knights list, which to be honest is only half an idea at this point - but if nothing else, I guess I can put some black and gold paint on them and sell them as a 'chaos or imperial knight army, ready to go, special models no longer in production!!!' and somebody will bite. I guess I still need to buy bases for them, since the picture showed them on what looked like circular 100mm or 120mm bases.

The kits they're dumping are all plastic, and the claw I built was on a sprue; it felt like similar quality plastic to GW - maybe a bit less, but the pieces were thick and heavy enough that I wasn't at all worried about them bending or snapping. According to their site, they're getting rid of their inventory because they're switching to resin, which is... unfortunate.

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 7, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Question: The other day I found out that there was a mini of 30K-era Ahriman that was in the Burning of Prospero boxset. Did that mini ever get a separate release, or was only with the boxset?

Also, I noticed that the Imperial Knight Paladin got removed from the store. Is there any chance of it coming back?

My guess is that the answers to both question is 'no', but maybe I'm wrong.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Max Wilco posted:

Also, I noticed that the Imperial Knight Paladin got removed from the store. Is there any chance of it coming back?
The paladin kit was superceded by, and replaced with the warden kit, which is exactly the same plus an extra sprue with the new weapons.

The Imperial Knights Renegade box, if you can get your hands on one, contains one paladin kit and one warden kit, and is absurdly good value for its retail price.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

Question: The other day I found out that there was a mini of 30K-era Ahriman that was in the Burning of Prospero boxset. Did that mini ever get a separate release, or was only with the boxset?
I only ever saw it in the box set with BoP.

here is an eBay link to one that’s (at time of posting) $20.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

koreban posted:

I only ever saw it in the box set with BoP.

here is an eBay link to one that’s (at time of posting) $20.

I was buying 30k Ahrimans on eBay at about 6 bucks a pop last year. Glad I stocked up.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

goose willis posted:

Oh man, shipping is 20 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Two Beans posted:

I was buying 30k Ahrimans on eBay at about 6 bucks a pop last year. Glad I stocked up.

At one point people were giving away the characters from both Betrayal at Calth and Burning of Prospero because so many boxes were being split up for the marine squads.