Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Nobody would play “Commander but only with Pioneer cards” at that point you just have a regular commander deck. Lots and lots of players from the last 5 years have Commander decks built, not every mander-player is going back in time to tweak their deck full of Urza’s Saga stuff.

Fragmenting the Commander format into multiple formats is a pretty bad idea, but Brawl isn’t that. Pioneer Commander would be.

That's why I think pioneer is more suited to brawl than it is commander. Let commander be the legacy format that spans the full history of the game, but make brawl an eternal format with much fewer busted cards and no rotation. I know there would be some issues to work out banlist-wise, but after that I think it'd be a very neat format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Framboise posted:

That's why I think pioneer is more suited to brawl than it is commander. Let commander be the legacy format that spans the full history of the game, but make brawl an eternal format with much fewer busted cards and no rotation. I know there would be some issues to work out banlist-wise, but after that I think it'd be a very neat format.

At that point i just don't see there being any point in making it a distinct format. "Commander but only cards from the last 8 years" just describes over 2/3 of the Commander decks at my LGS. Brawl being "only standard" is the most interesting cut-off to me, because Standard cards are the cards you see the absolute least of in Commander, traditionally.

What I mean is for me, untuning my EDH decks to be PIONEER ONLY would be a chore, but for most of the people I play with, they might have to change fewer than 10 cards in all of their decks combined

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 6, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Counterpoint: buying a Gauntlet of Might and jamming it into my Feldon deck was one of my favorite MTG memories as it's the only format I'd realistically be able to play it in

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hmmm I wonder what these numbers formatted xx.xx are. It’s a mystery.

That's why we invented unit symbols! There is no indication of units nor indication of summing a unit cost. There's also no title on the column. I will not be shamed for someone else's poorly presented information.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

That's why we invented unit symbols! There is no indication of units nor indication of summing a unit cost. There's also no title on the column. I will not be shamed for someone else's poorly presented information.

Well you absolutely should be lmfao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Hey I didn't reply to your post because I wanted to just let you go on and feel intellectually superior to a stranger on the internet. You go right on and do that bud it's fine

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

oko costs 1UG, but 1UG what? 1UG dollars? 1UG pounds? clarity please wizards

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Nope, you're right. My confusion on cost came from here:

But price is a tab not a column :shobon: The card costs ~$19 if you click through.*

Didn't realize the R cost. That is significant. Need to get in the habit of considering cost when I'm looking at cards. Still big noob. I understand now, thanks all.

*I still don't know what that 75.96 refers to though.

we were all big noob at some point, Perry Mason Jar

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Hey I didn't reply to your post because I wanted to just let you go on and feel intellectually superior to a stranger on the internet. You go right on and do that bud it's fine

People in this thread are mean for fun sometimes, it's like a rite of initiation kinda

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What is a card?

A miserable little pile of dollars!

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I still wonder what the final straw was that ran mcmagic out of this thread.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Being banned for D&D posts, I thought?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

sit on my Facebook posted:

People in this thread are mean for fun sometimes, it's like a rite of initiation kinda

It's all good

80s James Hetfield posted:

I don't know who that is or how it relates to my post but now I wonder that, too.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I'd like to take credit for that personally, but I think that it was probably a group effort.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Magic players broadly think it's funny and cute and endearing to constantly subtly (and overtly) berate and troll each other, when it's in fact incredibly transparent as a desire to demonstrate themselves as intellectually superior. It's why magic twitter is mostly a cesspool and why this thread has some of the worst posters.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

All formats are kind of sucking hard right now and he (like quite a few people) are taking a break. (I assume)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Toshimo posted:

What is a card?

A miserable little pile of dollars!

Shame we never got a decent Castlevania reference in any of the Innistrad sets.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ShaneB posted:

Magic players broadly think it's funny and cute and endearing to constantly subtly (and overtly) berate and troll each other, when it's in fact incredibly transparent as a desire to demonstrate themselves as intellectually superior. It's why magic twitter is mostly a cesspool and why this thread has some of the worst posters.

really this thread has some terrible posters in it and we should all be ashamed

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Mat Cauthon posted:

Shame we never got a decent Castlevania reference in any of the Innistrad sets.

Aside from a Vampire Killer whip, how could you tell if something was from Castlevania or just a direct riff on gothic horror?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Sorin as a flipwalker but he's a lizard on the planeswalker side.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

whydirt posted:

Aside from a Vampire Killer whip, how could you tell if something was from Castlevania or just a direct riff on gothic horror?

Wall Turkey

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

whydirt posted:

If it took the form of a patchislot machine.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

whydirt posted:

Toshimo posted:

Wall Turkey

I would also accept a Dhampir creature or a land that makes "vampire hunter" tokens.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
human creature that you can sac to turn into a pile of Secret tokens

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

There's no units because there's an Online tab (for MTGO prices where it's the price in Event Tickets) and a Paper tab (where it's the dollar cost from TCGPlayer Mid.) Switching back and forth and adding/removing a unit symbol would look weird.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Toshimo posted:

Wall Turkey

Wall of Mysteries
(3)
Artifact Creature - Wall

Defender

T, sac: create a food token

0/5

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

ShaneB posted:

*high on power*

*whispers* you're not the smartest man in the room anymore

-all of wotc(nerds(people)), ever

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Hellsau posted:

There's no units because there's an Online tab (for MTGO prices where it's the price in Event Tickets) and a Paper tab (where it's the dollar cost from TCGPlayer Mid.) Switching back and forth and adding/removing a unit symbol would look weird.

Ooh, fair enough fair enough. Still if you added a title that read "Cost (Total)" it would be helpful. Ultimately this is really only a problem if you click on that link blindly with no familiarity with the site and you don't bother to click around and you're dumb as poo poo, lol, but still

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Let's talk about magic content again

Here's another brew for pioneer, the newest and best format

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2435130#paper

Wishclaw Talisman just has to be a good card right? I think so, and combining it with Karn to break the symmetry and tutor up bullets from the full 75 seems like a great way to start. If I can win even a single game with Great Creator +1 on a Parhelion, I'll consider it a resounding success.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

little munchkin posted:

we were all big noob at some point, Perry Mason Jar

Big noob, big life

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Let's talk about magic content again

Okay! So check this out: I'm noob. Word. I didn't do any research and bought the Spellslinger's Starter Kit. I only have mild regrets. Yesterday I ordered two battledecks. I also have one U/G welcome deck (30/30). So the cards I have (excluding Revised Edition cards I inherited) can be found in these lists:

Green/Blue Welcome Decks: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Core_Set_2020/Welcome_decks
Red/White Starter Kit Decks: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Core_Set_2020/Spellslinger_Starter_Kit
Savage Reign Battle Deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/savage-reign/
Out of Hand Battle Deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-05-19-out-of-hand/

Aiming to slowly build a decent-like Standard deck or maybe Brawl deck or both or whatever. So far I think Blue has been most fun for me but I side-stepped it when choosing a Battledeck because Savage Reign has great value for the price (:10bux:) and gives me a good mix of lands that I can build up from. I haven't touched Black yet; my girlfriend chose the Black deck (Out of Hand) so that's why I have that (she also has never played Black, we're both noob).

Well my question is if any of these cards get me towards a satisfying Standard deck for FNM and/or what singles I should be targeting - especially, of course, rares and mythics. I'm not too bothered about the color/strat right now, I'll have fun either way, so just whatever gets me there.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 6, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Okay! So check this out: I'm noob. Word. I didn't do any research and bought the Spellslinger's Starter Kit. I only have mild regrets. Yesterday I ordered two battledecks. I also have one U/G welcome deck (30/30). So the cards I have (excluding Revised Edition cards I inherited) can be found in these lists:

Red/White Starter Kit Decks: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Core_Set_2020/Spellslinger_Starter_Kit

Aiming to slowly build a decent-like Standard deck or maybe Brawl deck or both or whatever. So far I think Blue has been most fun for me but I side-stepped it when choosing a Battledeck because Savage Reign has great value for the price (:10bux:) and gives me a good mix of lands that I can build up from. I haven't touched Black yet; my girlfriend chose the Black deck (Out of Hand) so that's why I have that (she also has never played Black, we're both noob).

Well my question is if any of these cards get me towards a satisfying Standard deck for FNM and/or what singles I should be targeting - especially, of course, rares and mythics. I'm not too bothered about the color/strat right now, I'll have fun either way, so just whatever gets me there.

Well, Savage Reign has 15 cards in it that are not even standard legal, so like, half of the deck needs to be replaced to even bring it to FNM. Out of Hand is even worse, only 11 of those cards are standard legal.

Honestly these are all extremely far from being playable at virtually any FNM event, regardless of format

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 6, 2019

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Rats! Oh well. Guess I'll just need to whole hog a budget deck that can scale up then.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Turns out Oko is becoming more and more common in Pioneer for those that care.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

Turns out Oko is becoming more and more common in Pioneer for those that care.

Oko more like, Oh no!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Well... I regret to inform you that no, none of these really get you close to a deck that's going to get you any match wins at an FNM. My recommendation would be the Budget Magic series at mtggoldfish, the site I linked to for that pioneer decklist. Something like this, for instance:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-77-standard-affinity-standard-magic-arena

is a fully playable standard deck you can buy starting from zero for less than $80, and probably substantially less than that if you were to go buy the list off of tcgplayer.com as the listed prices on mtggoldfish tend to be slightly higher than the actual purchase prices you can find with a little smart shopping. The budget magic articles will also frequently include an ultra-budget version for extreme penny pinching. Browsing through a few of those lists will also serve to give you a good idea of standard rares/mythics that are actually good enough to be playable without being $$$

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Also, don't be afraid to spring for cards that aren't near mint or lightly played. While a budget standard deck shaves off less compared to, say, a commander deck does with less-than-perfect cards, money is money.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Thanks for the help!

Would angling for a Pioneer deck be cheaper or about the same?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Pioneer is as cheap as it’s been going to be right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
a good pioneer deck is going to be more expensive than a good standard deck on average almost by definition