Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

At least we know nobody's going to bother with a Kindred of the East 20 because they know they'd have to do it from the ground up and nobody wants to bother. I can't blame them.

(The Devil-Tiger Dharmabook is really good, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Kindred of the East the same way I like anime OVAs from the 80s and 90s.

I also have way too much knowledge of it's lore.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like Kindred of the East the same way I like anime OVAs from the 80s and 90s.

I also have way too much knowledge of it's lore.

Same. I remember playing it in high school and the guy running it definitely leaned heavy on the Anime super hero team angle so it was goofy fun.

As a Resplendent Crane I always loved that two of my Dharma rules were "Hey my man, also follow these 20 other rules" I was in a buddy cop situation with a Devil Tiger and we both lived together in our Ninja Turtles style sewer apartment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's funny in Demon Hunter X they make a big to-do of explaining the roles of the sentai team, which the writer (James A. Moore, I think) seems to have gotten mostly from Gatchaman. There's the Leader, the Rebel, the Nerd, the Big Guy and... the Girl. (Can the Girl be any of the other roles, you ask? It's not mentioned, because again Moore is going off half-remembered Gatchaman.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

At least we know nobody's going to bother with a Kindred of the East 20 because they know they'd have to do it from the ground up and nobody wants to bother. I can't blame them.

(The Devil-Tiger Dharmabook is really good, though.)

Now I haven't read it, and I saw how racist Chinatown was in Bloodlines, but I thought the Kuei-jin were pretty interesting and you'd think they would want to capitalize on that. The Kuei-jin' got name recognition and with Bloodlines 2 coming out and more people going back to play Bloodlines 1 these new fans probably wanna read more on the KJ. I know I do.

I only avoided reading about them due to warnings. A new edition could fix that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The problem with the Keui-Jin is the Orientalist nature of the beast is so heavily baked in that you'd need to completely rework everything about them starting with their name. 'Kuei-Jin' doesn't make sense as a name as it's mashing two words from two different languages and making them kiss. The argument was that they call themselves that as a sign of unity, and it's like, congratulations you have recognized a whole two countries in the Asian community with that name. Add to that a lot of the books were 'ha ha foolish slow ugly gaijin vampire I will kill you with my katana you have no honor' and just endlessly talking up how kewl their powers were compared to boring ol' Western Disciplines (which are actually better from a gaming perspective).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

The problem with the Keui-Jin is the Orientalist nature of the beast is so heavily baked in that you'd need to completely rework everything about them starting with their name. 'Kuei-Jin' doesn't make sense as a name as it's mashing two words from two different languages and making them kiss. The argument was that they call themselves that as a sign of unity, and it's like, congratulations you have recognized a whole two countries in the Asian community with that name. Add to that a lot of the books were 'ha ha foolish slow ugly gaijin vampire I will kill you with my katana you have no honor' and just endlessly talking up how kewl their powers were compared to boring ol' Western Disciplines (which are actually better from a gaming perspective).

If fully translated into either language the words are drawn from, for that matter, they translate roughly to 'creepy weirdo' or 'sentai villain' (for Mandarin Chinese and Japanese respectively).

Also, the "kanji" for the element Ghost-Flame was literally a random squiggle that didn't even resemble anything character-like.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
KotE has loads of good material and its problems are fixable, but the bit you would have to rewrite to do the fixing is, more or less, the skeleton. It would be about four times as big a rewrite as Changeling 20th got, and that was the biggest adjustment so far.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
gently caress everyone's poo poo up by hiring the best TTRPG devs from Asia to put together a game focusing on how undeath is represented in various and sundry Asian cultures (INCLUDING southeast Asia, the most neglected of the Asias) and shoehorn it into the world of darkness.

that's the pro move. that's how you make a product not even the twitter mobs can hate you for.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Going back over it I shouldn't be surprised, but they don't even really give South Korea much mention. If it's not China or Japan (and really, Hong Kong or Tokyo) then GTFO.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Going back over it I shouldn't be surprised, but they don't even really give South Korea much mention. If it's not China or Japan (and really, Hong Kong or Tokyo) then GTFO.

The heretical dharma book has a bit more variety, but yeah. I think that the Trashing Dragons had some Korean penanggalan stuff going on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Green Courts of Korea don't get a lot of page count, but are basically the chillest court.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
If you get your jeong to maximum you can appreciate the totality of all relationships, even the frusturating ones with dullards. If the rulers ever get pushy the seonbi write an Upwards Appeal and tie it to the handle of an axe for delivery.

edit- also they let foreigners in if they can correctly spell tteobokki on the first try.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Quick question regarding V5, I've been using the Vamp generator on here https://chartopia.d12dev.com/collection/576/

And it's pretty handy for NPC stats but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for stating NPC Mortals? Non enemy mortals at least.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Children of Gaia are the best Tribe.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Demon: The Descent 2E with no taint of Matt McFarland would be an instant day-one buy from me, although conversely I would hope that OPP could get Rose Bailey on board and I seem to recall she's pretty busy with her own games these days.

e: also much as I like crunch the comparatively-streamlined design of Changeling 2E would be really good for Demon, simply because Demon has SO MANY subsystems that making all of them insanely complicated doesn't really do it any favors

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 6, 2019

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

gently caress everyone's poo poo up by hiring the best TTRPG devs from Asia to put together a game focusing on how undeath is represented in various and sundry Asian cultures (INCLUDING southeast Asia, the most neglected of the Asias) and shoehorn it into the world of darkness.

that's the pro move. that's how you make a product not even the twitter mobs can hate you for.

You'd basically have to Scion the poo poo out of the writing process - I know they went above and beyond to be respectful to all the real-world faiths portrayed, but did the additional effort translate into better sales? I really hope so, because I'd love to see them Scion the poo poo out of Mage: The Awakening.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Get Grabowski to do Kindred of the East 20. So he can poo poo on Qin Shi Huang Di more.

Unless he's retired nowadays?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

kaynorr posted:

You'd basically have to Scion the poo poo out of the writing process - I know they went above and beyond to be respectful to all the real-world faiths portrayed, but did the additional effort translate into better sales? I really hope so, because I'd love to see them Scion the poo poo out of Mage: The Awakening.

:smith: I would like to think so, but I can't imagine that it did.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It looks like Colin Suleiman is in the. comments on Mummy being salty that he wasn't consulted.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

It looks like Colin Suleiman is in the. comments on Mummy being salty that he wasn't consulted.

sounds like Mummy 2E's chances of being good just shot up massively

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

kaynorr posted:

Do you mean Ascension? Other than having Greek terms the groups in Awakening did not seem to be strongly culturally bound compared to either the Traditions/Conventions in oMage or the various pantheons in Scion.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 7, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rand Brittain posted:

maybe he should have considered that before he sexually harassed had dangerously smoldering eyes at women

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

maybe he should have considered that before he sexually harassed had dangerously smoldering eyes at women

Hey! That's unkind. He couldn't help himself. He is the primary caregiver for his female relatives.

What's that? How does that justify anything? Look behind you! A huge distracting thing!

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

sounds like Mummy 2E's chances of being good just shot up massively

He's not throwing a fit in the comments or anything. He posted twice, once for a literal "+1" in response to somebody going "I like Mummy," and the other time in response to somebody going "where's CA Suleiman, isn't this his game?" At most the latter comment is a little sulky, but no, it doesn't indicate any kind of revolution against the jerk with the smouldering eyes.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by what I see from Mummy so far, or specifically, from Mummy's development and structure as a game. Much less is changed than I would prefer to see. It's still a big improvement on 1e just by virtue of telling you to your face what the game is about and what the setting is like, but well, damning with faint praise.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is there anything in the world of darkness series that captures the feeling of being a nightmare? Like, when I initially heard the elevator pitch for Beast, I thought it'd be something like "you are the human incarnation of a folkloric nightmare creature of some kind" and then I found out that Beast is very yikes. I remember reading somewhere someone's idea about playing as something that protects through fear in like a sorta PSA kinda way and that got me thinking about how it could be fun to play as someone who is the incarnation of the boogeyman or the incarnation of a hidebehind or something like that where they have nightmarish powers but they are protectors seeking to keep people safe and protecting them so long as they respect the rules and keep safe, stuff like being the manifestation of telling people to not get lost in the forest or the manifestation of teaching people that grief and mourning is okay and haunting those who would dare try to do harm to others for grieving or mourning or something like that. Just being a person who has unlocked the power to be a guiding force of nature through the image of something fearsome, be it keeping people from trashing up the forest or maybe just teaching miserly old men about how to stop being so ornery and greedy with their money around Christmas time and actually give their employees a decent wage.

.....so yeah, is there anything in any of the books that really accomplishes that, seeing as Beast went in such an unfortunate direction? I'd guess Geist, but I figured people in here would know.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Has the Mummy stuff provided any actual reason for there to be a group of mummies this time around? I never played the original, but I heard that was an issue, and the few attempts were kind of tacked on and contrived.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

.....so yeah, is there anything in any of the books that really accomplishes that, seeing as Beast went in such an unfortunate direction?

Changeling, be a Darkling, join the Scarecrow Ministry, that's exactly and explicitly what they do. They were doing it before Beast: The Primordial ever stole the name "beast" from the list of Changeling's Seemings. Use Contracts and you can even walk into people's dreams and be nightmare directly.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

FirstAidKite posted:

Is there anything in the world of darkness series that captures the feeling of being a nightmare? Like, when I initially heard the elevator pitch for Beast, I thought it'd be something like "you are the human incarnation of a folkloric nightmare creature of some kind" and then I found out that Beast is very yikes. I remember reading somewhere someone's idea about playing as something that protects through fear in like a sorta PSA kinda way and that got me thinking about how it could be fun to play as someone who is the incarnation of the boogeyman or the incarnation of a hidebehind or something like that where they have nightmarish powers but they are protectors seeking to keep people safe and protecting them so long as they respect the rules and keep safe, stuff like being the manifestation of telling people to not get lost in the forest or the manifestation of teaching people that grief and mourning is okay and haunting those who would dare try to do harm to others for grieving or mourning or something like that. Just being a person who has unlocked the power to be a guiding force of nature through the image of something fearsome, be it keeping people from trashing up the forest or maybe just teaching miserly old men about how to stop being so ornery and greedy with their money around Christmas time and actually give their employees a decent wage.

.....so yeah, is there anything in any of the books that really accomplishes that, seeing as Beast went in such an unfortunate direction? I'd guess Geist, but I figured people in here would know.

The Scarecrow Ministry Entitlement in Changeling is exactly this. They create (and embody) spooky urban legends to keep mortals away from dangerous places, like unsecured gates into the Hedge.

The Hunters in Darkness tribe in Werewolf also does this sometimes to keep humans away from the sacred places in their territory.

It's not a primary focus of Sin-Eaters, but since their social factions are build-your-own, you could certainly build a krewe that uses spooky stories about haunted houses to keep humans away from dangerous areas. They'd probably be an Undertaker krewe, or maybe Necropolitans.

Desiden posted:

Has the Mummy stuff provided any actual reason for there to be a group of mummies this time around? I never played the original, but I heard that was an issue, and the few attempts were kind of tacked on and contrived.

The intention with Mummy was that you'd play it Ars Magica troupe-style, with one player playing their mummy for a story while the other PCs play as their cult, then rotating in a different Mummy PC/cult for the next story, with the "all Mummy" stories being pretty rare, probably chronicle-capping events. Sadly that, like a lot of what the game was really about, got largely buried in 1e; hopefully 2e will be more explicit.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Just play Wraith, the best game. There are two guilds that are specifically about spooky haunted house powers and another that is dream stuff.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

GimpInBlack posted:

The intention with Mummy was that you'd play it Ars Magica troupe-style, with one player playing their mummy for a story while the other PCs play as their cult, then rotating in a different Mummy PC/cult for the next story, with the "all Mummy" stories being pretty rare, probably chronicle-capping events. Sadly that, like a lot of what the game was really about, got largely buried in 1e; hopefully 2e will be more explicit.

I'm gonna spitball on this for a minute. What if everyone played mummies, just slightly less OP versions, and the game progresses backwards from your most modern (and lowest powered) resurrection as you slowly remember who you are and what cabal created you for what purpose.

So, you and your buddies are in a museum which is getting robbed by ISIS or some poo poo. You fight them off and protect the museum, and once it's safe you have a flashback to the LAST time you protected this museum from the Kaiser or some poo poo, and in that flashback you encounter some relics from your burial, which sends you back FURTHER to when you failed to protect your city from invading hordes, and finally it culminates in the ritual of your creation, as you meet your cultists and have good ole fun times till, for whatever reason, you're sent to sleep.

End story arc! No moral.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

What if the game progresses backwards from your most modern (and lowest powered) resurrection as you slowly remember who you are and what cabal created you for what purpose.

It sounds like MTC 2e is equipped to do this part fine, actually, assuming the Storytelling chapter actually has practical advice on how to structure passage through nonlinear time. Your fresh-from-chargen traits represent your first experienced Descent from your perspective as a mummy, which may be completely detached from where it falls in actual world chronology.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

What if everyone played mummies

This is the part that MTC 2e seriously needs good Storytelling advice to be able to cover that MTC 1e didn't have. (It had a brief, in my opinion inadequate, attempt in the corebook's Storytelling chapter, which was barely ever brought up elsewhere.) That, or some mechanic to synchronize a mummy team's Descent and death-cycle together, which I'm honestly very surprised wasn't already core. If they do put something like that in 2e, well, that would help a lot.

The problem with a team of mummies isn't that they're too powerful to run a gang of. Mage is right over there, after all. It's that the thematic oomph of being a mummy is about dying, lying dead, and then returning from death. You'd have the same problem in Vampire if there were a huge emphasis on falling into torpor: telling that story is a hassle when everybody's death clocks aren't on the same timer.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I'm gonna spitball on this for a minute. What if everyone played mummies, just slightly less OP versions, and the game progresses backwards from your most modern (and lowest powered) resurrection as you slowly remember who you are and what cabal created you for what purpose.

So, you and your buddies are in a museum which is getting robbed by ISIS or some poo poo. You fight them off and protect the museum, and once it's safe you have a flashback to the LAST time you protected this museum from the Kaiser or some poo poo, and in that flashback you encounter some relics from your burial, which sends you back FURTHER to when you failed to protect your city from invading hordes, and finally it culminates in the ritual of your creation, as you meet your cultists and have good ole fun times till, for whatever reason, you're sent to sleep.

End story arc! No moral.

this sounds rad

and not just because it gave me the opportunity to go "lol you just described Mummento"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks for the answers! :)

Meanwhile, over in the mummy 2e kickstarter

quote:

– Interestingly, you experience your periods of activity non-linearly. You might wake up in 2012, and then later wake up in 910 BCE, lamenting the lack of effective modern transport or communications.

Was this a thing in 1e? I dunno why but despite world of darkness basically containing anything it wants, there's something about this that bugs me a lot.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

FirstAidKite posted:

Thanks for the answers! :)

Meanwhile, over in the mummy 2e kickstarter

Was this a thing in 1e? I dunno why but despite world of darkness basically containing anything it wants, there's something about this that bugs me a lot.

No, it’s the big change for 2e.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry to be random, just one quick question. I was looking up books and WW Wiki articles on demons and stuff and came across this thing for Mage called Mastigos. That has nothing to do with Infernalism, or what I usually think of when I think of oWoD Demons like Baali or Demon The Fallen, right? Sounds more like Chaotic Neutral instead of Chaotic Evil, in short.

I was also just trying to find out about the afterlife. I know Wraith exists but what about vampires? Where do they go after they meet Final Death?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

There are two separate but similar settings/tabletop games/cinematic universes/whatever that the original White Wolf Game Studios launched, as the new thread title implies: World of Darkness (or oWoD - Vampire: the Masquerade, Mage: the Ascension, etc.) and what has retroactively been renamed Chronicles of Darkness (or nWoD - Vampire: the Requiem, Mage: the Awakening, etc.) Mastigos is a character type from Mage: the Awakening. They're not from the oWoD at all.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I Am Just a Box posted:

There are two separate but similar settings/tabletop games/cinematic universes/whatever that the original White Wolf Game Studios launched, as the new thread title implies: World of Darkness (or oWoD - Vampire: the Masquerade, Mage: the Ascension, etc.) and what has retroactively been renamed Chronicles of Darkness (or nWoD - Vampire: the Requiem, Mage: the Awakening, etc.) Mastigos is a character type from Mage: the Awakening. They're not from the oWoD at all.

Oh poo poo, you're right. I'm dumb. The Mage titles sound so similar I can never remember which is old and which is new. Might help if I actually read a Mage book sometime but eh.

Thanks for that and sorry.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry to be random, just one quick question. I was looking up books and WW Wiki articles on demons and stuff and came across this thing for Mage called Mastigos. That has nothing to do with Infernalism, or what I usually think of when I think of oWoD Demons like Baali or Demon The Fallen, right? Sounds more like Chaotic Neutral instead of Chaotic Evil, in short.

I was also just trying to find out about the afterlife. I know Wraith exists but what about vampires? Where do they go after they meet Final Death?

The thing with Mastigos is that they are warlocks, they do summon and control demons, but those demons are inner demons (goetia) and not demons from christian hell. Mastigos are the kinds of people who solve their character defects by conjuring the demon of their own fury and bind it. They can also conjure gods and devils and concepts that exist in the collective unconscious. Hope that helps.

Regarding the other questions: Mastigos are for chronicles of darkness (what used to be called new world of darkness) and Wraith and Vampire the Masquerade are part of the classic World of Darkness. There is some interaction between the two lines. The Giovani and Cappadocian vampires use necromancy to conjure wraiths and such and I believe some vampires can become wraiths when they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Thanks for that and sorry.

No need to apologize, the situation is unnecessarily confusing, especially with games like Vampire and Mage sharing some major jargon terms and concepts. (I think you could make a decent argument that the game named Ascension is all about Awakening, and the game named Awakening is about the paths to Ascension.)

Re: the oWoD afterlife: I think there's some edition ambiguity as to whether destroyed vampires can linger as wraiths without some kind of Necromancy fuckery, but my assumption has generally been that the answer to "what happens to a vampire at Final Death?" is usually "annihilation and oblivion; you had your afterlife already and Final Death means final." As to whether that's oblivion with a capital or a lowercase O in Wraith terms, it's possible some vampires retained enough moral humanity to move on to the unknown fate of wraiths who achieve Transcendence, whether that be union with a creator, reincarnation, or whatever. Or maybe they just all go down the hole. Depends on how bleak you're shooting for, and where your characters are on the spectrum between The Crow and The Purge.