Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Drink?
This poll is closed.
Water 32 26.67%
Tea 21 17.50%
Soda 28 23.33%
Alcoholic 22 18.33%
I dunno 17 14.17%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*sees someone asking why a yuri manga couldn't just stay fluffy* is the yuri tokusatsu getting interesting now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

*sees someone asking why a yuri manga couldn't just stay fluffy* is the yuri tokusatsu getting interesting now
yeah something actually interesting happened in it so 10/10 but it wasnt executed or paced very well

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

yeah something actually interesting happened in it so 10/10 but it wasnt executed or paced very well

rip

i read a few early chapters of the manga and thought it was cute but it didn't do much to hold my attention

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I haven't kept up with it but it's in the same wheelhouse as other manga I've read where it isn't amazing, but I can appreciate the author's shared interests and making something that's just expressing that.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/1192082884452134912

:black101: Kyuu-chan

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lmao at the three camera dots. please destroy that $1k phone

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkmJqKdRONY

FIYA
FIYA
PSYCHO SOLDIAAAA
FIYA
FIYA
PSYCHO SOLDIAAAA

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_E9m2uLg2w

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What's the yuri tokusatsu?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sakurazuka posted:

What's the yuri tokusatsu?

doomrider7 posted:

New Hero-san and Former General-san

https://mangadex.org/title/31932/hero-san-and-former-general-san

Why couldn't this just stay a fun goofy yuri tokusatsu.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh I thought there was an actual show lol

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Colonel posted:

FIYA
FIYA
PSYCHO SOLDIAAAA
FIYA
FIYA
PSYCHO SOLDIAAAA

listen fools

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh I thought there was an actual show lol

Cowards Toei still refuse to do a Live Action Precure

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/blazethedrago/status/1192219055731675137?s=21

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/Synthgrind/status/1191331329478184961

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Clarste posted:

That's an older work by the author of Spy x Family, which is currently being serialized.

I wondered about that after page 27. The face looked right out of that.

The Colonel posted:

I miss ssss.Gridman. :(

Motto posted:

I haven't kept up with it but it's in the same wheelhouse as other manga I've read where it isn't amazing, but I can appreciate the author's shared interests and making something that's just expressing that.

When you have niche interests sometimes that's what you've got to do!

There's a lot of things that are kinda subpar but I read them anyways because they're the best I've got.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 7, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

i feel really bad for the kid who had to go through this

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Clarste posted:

That's an older work by the author of Spy x Family, which is currently being serialized.

I thought the art looked familiar.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean I recognized it because in the first chapter of Spy x Family I had to translate "by the author of I Spy" on the title page.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a recommended Ultraman to jump into on Crunchyroll? Thinking of trying yet again.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Colonel posted:

FIYA
FIYA
PSYCHO SOLDIAAAA
FIYA
FIYA
PSYCHO SOLDIAAAA

fuckin yuzo koshiro did this arrangement afaict

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I'm going to assume she showed it to her mom, because what the gently caress kind of paranoid parent looks at what their kid checks out of the school library.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I'm going to assume she showed it to her mom, because what the gently caress kind of paranoid parent looks at what their kid checks out of the school library.

what kind of parent alerts every news station in the tristate area instead of just going to the principal and saying 'hey this doesnt feel like its appropriate for kids?'

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I mean, the paranoid/policing assholes aside, responsible parents should probably know what their kids are reading so they can provide context to their kids if need be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at the same time i think its important and healthy for kids to have stuff they do or enjoy that their parents just dont know about and have no context for whatsoever

like most of us got into anime for exactly that reason when we were kids, because we wanted that

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I got into anime because my dad rented Speed Racer and Robotech from Blockbuster for us.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol, a manga about a guy being led into crossdressing by an online friend of his is getting scanlated... but only the pixiv previews, not the actual manga. And the pixiv previews don't have the crossdressing element actually appear in them until like 10 chapters in. And the scanlators changed the title from 'Reality Sometimes Tells Lies' to 'Hanging Out With a Gamer Girl.'

So naturally with a title like that it got tons of views, but now the crossdressing thing is in every preview, so now everyone's mad that this manga that has always actually been about crossdressing suddenly has crossdressing in it, when they thought it was a random het romance gamer girl thing. And a bunch of other language scanlation groups are also picking it up... but the pixiv previews, not the actual manga. And even the original scanlators, after being informed they were only translating previews, are still going ahead with translating the previews.

The whole thing's a mess.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 7, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

lol, a manga about a guy being led into crossdressing by an online friend of his is getting scanlated... but only the pixiv previews, not the actual manga. And the pixiv previews don't have the crossdressing element actually appear in them until like 10 chapters in. And the scanlators changed the title from 'Reality Sometimes Tells Lies' to 'Hanging Out With a Gamer Girl.'

So naturally with a title like that it got tons of views, but now the crossdressing thing is in every preview, so now everyone's mad that this manga that has always actually been about crossdressing suddenly has crossdressing in it, when they thought it was a random het romance gamer girl thing. And a bunch of other language scanlation groups are also picking it up... but the pixiv previews, not the actual manga. And even the original scanlators, after being informed they were only translating previews, are still going ahead with translating the previews.

I'm reading that one. So what's getting scanlated was only the previews? I was wondering why it was only five pages.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

I'm reading that one. So what's getting scanlated was only the previews? I was wondering why it was only five pages.
Yeah. If you look, the title of the mangadex page has actually been updated to reflect it's only the previews.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

what the gently caress lol

that sucks though it sounds like an interesting manga i'd like to, actually get to read

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Talking about stuff with a gamer friend is the actual title on the pixiv series so I can get them doing that, buuuuut, I don't know how you miss the melonbooks link to the full manga in the description of the first one, not to mention the multiple times the previews end with 'buy this at comiket!' pages

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Endorph posted:

Crossdressing is cool and good, but lmao at that title change, what even

No seriously though, what?? Didn’t realize that some people just... make up entirely new titles instead of translating what’s there.

to be fair, I’d expect bad titles like that to come more from publishers instead of scanlation groups

e: oh it’s the actual title on Pixiv? That makes it slightly better at least, but yikes at the rest.

Oh wait it’s just gamer friend in the original instead of “gamer girl”, my point still stands :colbert:

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 7, 2019

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
hey that series is by the artist that did

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Nondevor posted:

Oh wait it’s just gamer friend in the original instead of “gamer girl”, my point still stands :colbert:

Yeah...that part was in service of attracting a readership I presume

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what its mostly led to is a bunch of mangadex readers acting like they were tricked into reading a manga about crossdressing and now theyre gay

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
anyways "those are just the previews" isn't the full story about this either, it's legitimately a webmanga. ch 1, 11, and 28 are comiket samples and are labeled as such in the title., but most of them are just short because its a webmanga on pixiv/twitter.

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 7, 2019

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Endorph posted:

what its mostly led to is a bunch of mangadex readers acting like they were tricked into reading a manga about crossdressing and now theyre gay

sounds like a good end result to me tbh

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
As long as it's still about two gaming dorks hanging out it's all fine and it being about crossdressing as well shouldn't matter.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

That's just how it works. They're all gay now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Endorph posted:

I mean the plot for this is basically a 1:1 for a bunch of gay manga, it just (assumedly) doesn't end with them getting hosed in a park bathroom

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)