Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Gatts posted:

Good strategy by hedging bets for the Justice Dems backing Warren and Bernie while still showing support for each other to calm followers from canceling them.

I almost can't believe I typed such words.

Looking at CSPAM it didn’t work and now Preslley is an establishment shill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

BonoMan posted:

It is very very unlikely though. From that article.

oh okay, even though the rules let them do it, they never would because it would be bad optics and uncharted waters. thanks, I feel lots better

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
https://twitter.com/aldotcom/status/1192187600452407298

"No no no, we really don't mean to prohibit free speech. Why would you get that idea?"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Petr posted:

oh okay, even though the rules let them do it, they never would because it would be bad optics and uncharted waters. thanks, I feel lots better

The rules don't let them do it, the dude is pretending they do.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

That legislature option is only to establish a different criteria for counting or not counting votes, which again must be objective and impartial to be constitutional. That might matter if someone won by like 30 votes, then they can say "hey, ballots spoiled in this way count, and ballots spoiled in this other way don't count, we're clarifying what is required for provisional ballots to count, and what do you know, the vote changed by 32 votes, what a coincidence!" The margin is too large for minor changes in vote counting standards to matter.

They can't go "yo, gently caress this vote, Bevin wins".

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Petr posted:

We're not relying on optics. The courts will not let them do what you think they will do.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i was being cheeky about the AOC tweet btw

oh, also too. in the excitement over winning the KY governorship, i completely forgot one salient issue: what's the breakdown of republicans in the state house(s)? do they have veto proof majorities?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Also, Bevin is literally the least popular Republican in the state and local politicians were throwing him under the bus as soon as it looked like he was losing. Tying themselves even more tightly to him would be legislative suicide.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Also, the last KY governor who attempted to do that is literally the only sitting governor in American history to be assassinated.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rigel posted:

The courts generally are pretty vicious about smacking this sort of poo poo down. They would need to come up with overwhelming proof that someone or a group or specific people were changing votes or stuffing the ballot, and that the vote totals could be corrected in Bevin's favor. (If it were somehow unable to be corrected, the remedy would be a special election)

They did find wierd ballot stuffing cases in Kentucky though...

In the GOP :lol:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

It is them attempting to steal an election in plain sight. Not The new normal.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

rudy doing his regular weekly Unprompted Admission Of A Crime

https://twitter.com/marty_lederman/status/1192202823435317248

now that's what i call an admission against interest lol

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/RebeccaBuck/status/1192202031089508352

lmao they're going to somehow gently caress this up so hard Doug Jones gets reelected

Trump is going to endorse Roy Moore and tear the party apart :getin:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

https://twitter.com/mark_gander3/status/1192141094835769350?s=20

https://twitter.com/mark_gander3/status/1192143631555055617

https://twitter.com/mark_gander3/status/1192143907577978880

a response chain i found funny/hosed up.

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/RebeccaBuck/status/1192202031089508352

lmao they're going to somehow gently caress this up so hard Doug Jones gets reelected

trump will go hard against sessions and for pedo moore or whoever. than it will be a shitshow.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1192210537779589120?s=19

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1192192577136521216?s=19

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I gotta admit, I did not see the Tulsi punchline coming.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Purity fails the test again.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Also, the last KY governor who attempted to do that is literally the only sitting governor in American history to be assassinated.

I watched a timely YouTube about him today!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

This is a good article. It reminds me that outside of the racism, the GOP has nothing. Their actual policies and plans are deeply unpopular. Kansas's governor was voted out for similar reasons, and remember that Trump's approval rating was at it's lowest when the GOP was trying to kill off the ACA and then pass their tax cut for the wealthy.

https://www.vox.com/2019/11/6/20951510/matt-bevin-kentucky-governor-loss-beshear-medicaid-teacher

quote:

But it’s also wrong to assume Bevin’s loss was just about him. His defeat was a defeat for some of the core issues in the Republican Party. Bevin is politically toxic because for four years he aggressively pushed a pretty standard conservative agenda. He signed laws to mandate ultrasounds and require that health care providers show patients pictures of fetuses before performing an abortion. The state passed conservative labor laws, including a “right to work” policy to undercut unions, and repealed the prevailing wage, which guaranteed public works employees base salaries. Bevin allowed charter schools to come to Kentucky while proposing cuts to public schools.

Outside of Trump's racism and dementia ranting, there is nothing. When Republicans actually try to run on the policies, their own base hates them. I think when leftists stick to bread and butter issues, this is why they succeed. Look at Danica Roem - she runs on local issues she knows her constituents care about in a formerly conservative district, and they love her. Her GOP opponents had ZERO arguments against her political views, so they attacked her for being transgender - and got slaughtered electorally twice for it.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

More TD reacts for those interested

"In super liberal areas you have a better chance primarying them on a moderate platform - say, "hey, maybe we don't let illegals get away with driving without insurance". We could really make progress if pedes ran the D ticket with a "orange man bad but..." Ticket.
The goal is to MAGA, regardless of the letter in front of your name."

I like how this person is skirting around the idea that the problems we're facing go beyond typical points of political division in a fairly awkward way. I hope their congressional bid launches without any major hiccups!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

oh, also too. in the excitement over winning the KY governorship, i completely forgot one salient issue: what's the breakdown of republicans in the state house(s)? do they have veto proof majorities?

Apparently KY requires a simple majority to override vetos.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

She has been an establishment shill well before this. She voted for that bill to ban BDS months ago.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mr Interweb posted:

It's a simple majority to override a Veto.

Yeah....

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

PerniciousKnid posted:

Apparently KY requires a simple majority to override vetos.

why even give the governor veto power in the first place then lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

goethe.cx posted:

It’s left over from the pre Civil Rights Act days I’m sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

goethe.cx posted:

Many rules of our country revolve around the idea that everyone involved is acting in good faith.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Could we meaningfully destabilize or destroy the Mexican cartels even if we wanted to? I don't fully understand their operating structure, but they seem to be at least as well organized as ISIS and better armed. Of course I'd love to see them dismantled, but is that actually a feasible near-term outcome if the force of the US military was brought to bear on the problem?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Trump knows the trial has started in the minds of Americans.

Thats why he went to the baseball game. He thought he could dick ride the military and get cheers.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Tacier posted:

Could we meaningfully destabilize or destroy the Mexican cartels even if we wanted to? I don't fully understand their operating structure, but they seem to be at least as well organized as ISIS and better armed. Of course I'd love to see them dismantled, but is that actually a feasible near-term outcome if the force of the US military was brought to bear on the problem?

Oh I’m sure we could dust off the old Vietnam War strategy of Bodycount to measure “winning” and do pretty loving well at it destroying tons of cartel grunts but do you honestly think that wouldn’t create more problems then it would solve?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I don't think invading Mexico would go well.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Tacier posted:

We could legalize all drugs and enact harsh gun control. That would do the trick pretty nicely.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The US actually addressing the Cartel issue would mean acknowledging them as a major destabilizing force in Mexico. Which would open up asylum claims. Sooooo....yeah.

I mean, the whole situation with El Chapo’s son a few weeks back is just about all you need to know about how bad it really is.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I dont think I saw anyone call out this bit from the Taylor testimony transcripts

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1192185304716914688

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

kidkissinger posted:

She has been an establishment shill well before this. She voted for that bill to ban BDS months ago.

I mean, haven't all the members of the Squad done some questionable things at this point? Representative Omar had the Armenian Genocide recognition vote, Representative Ocasio-Cortez completely dropped the ball with regards to Venezuela, and I think Representative Tlaib doesn't really have anything now that I am actually thinking about it. I'm not trying to defend any of those things, I'm just saying that I don't think it's fair to call any of them establishment shills.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Tacier posted:

Iraq but Better Armed and On Our Borders seems real fuckin dumb.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tacier posted:

When PRI ran Mexico from 1917 all the way to the Bush era cartels were practically a 4th branch of government. When the Fox administration finally broke the grip of PRI rule they took US money and aid to go after cartels, which turned into the huge disaster it is today. For example, multiple chiefs of the anti-drug task force that Fox set up to combat the cartels were found out to be cartel members themselves.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/1191917239395667974

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Something that’s been bugging me, we all know that Trump has so many judicial vacancies to fill because McConnell obstructed Obama’s picks. But Republicans only took control of the Senate in the 2014 midterms so Obama was obstructed from January 2015-17. Did 100 vacancies really open up in just 2 years? How did that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

What's with all the weird public appearances lately? Are they trying to make him seem like someone who goes out and does things because we all know that Trump spends literally every free moment angry tweeting. It also seems like getting booed that hard might have shaken him up considering he normally exists in a perfect bubble of sycophantic yes men and how they're now desperately trying to find places he can go in public without being booed. The people around him have no doubt been telling him that everyone loves his policies, that he's the most popular, here have this poll we commissioned, see 95% approval! as a way of getting him to keep signing whatever order they put in front of him. As a huge fuckin narcissist it's got to actually hit him pretty hard to realize that 3/4 of the people in any stadium hate his guts.

I still can't get over him getting booed out of a loving UFC match. Like traditionally you get all manner of horrible people turning up to fights including like literal mob dudes who have carved up bodies and even those dudes don't even get booed out of the venue. You have to be really, really loving disliked to get booed that hard

I'm sure this is driven by Trump himself, I doubt that anyone with half a brain on his team (not that there are any of those left) would consider chasing after sports audience applause to be a worthwhile pursuit for him with more to gain than lose.

If it were handlers trying to humanize him they would have made sure he brought Barron to the World Series game and at least tried to coach him to interact with the kid in some kind of human way, instead of just having him in a corporate box with his usual retinue of toadies.

It's impossible for me to put myself in the mindset of someone like Trump, but I guess he actually believes the whole country loving LOVES him and all the polling etc. is bullshit. So he decided hey there's a huge sports event in town I'm gonna loving go and get the adulation that's due to me! Rally crowds probably aren't the same anymore for him, they're preselected worshippers so he doesn't get off on their adulation the way he used to, he now wants to be able to go out in some random crowd and get worshipped. :laugh: Bad idea, Donnie!

Getting his rear end booed at the WS game was probably quite a shock to him as he actually believes himself to be loved and is normally shielded from any such encounters with the masses, and doesn't believe any polling. Then the UFC thing a further shock.

Trump will never fully internalize a message like a crowd booing him. He can always at least partially rationalize it away that it was Northeastern Elites or whatever, but he doesn't want to let it go entirely so he's going to chase his high to progressively chuddier fan base sports, getting close to full chud with a football game between Bama and LSU.

If he's not satisfied with what he gets there he'll eventually be attending monster truck rallies in Branson every weekend for the rest of his term.