Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What really bugged me about Scream 2 was how preposterous the opening murders are. At first it seems like the killer just went for two random people in a movie theater. But then you find out they were specifically targeted because they had similar names to the first two victims in the first film. But...how the gently caress would the killer know that Omar Epps would convince his girlfriend to see the movie then need the restroom and use a stall just so he could be stabbed in the head through the wall?

I think they were sent free tickets. It's phrased such that you thought everyone had free tickets, but it didn't really look like a free event.

As to how you'd find a properly named couple in the first place, especially pre-facebook, :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It reminds me of how I Still Know What You Did Last Summer has perhaps the dumbest loving setup in the history of film.

So Jennifer Love Hewitt is now at college in Boston, studying political science and living with her roommate Brandy. She's still seeing Freddie Prinze Jr., but he's living down in North Carolina. Two two women get a call from a local radio station with a trivia question which, if they get right, will get them four tickets to the Bahamas. The question is "What is the capital of Brazil?" and they both answer "Rio!" and now they're off to the Bahamas.

But the capital of Brazil is Brasilia. So was the audience supposed to know right away that the answer was wrong, basically removing all tension from the next hour of the movie as poo poo's going down and the characters are trying to figure out what's wrong? Also making them both idiots in college, especially with one in political science? Or were they expecting the audience to be just as stupid as the characters in order to generate suspense?

And that's not even the best part. There's this guy at school, literally the only person that treats Hewitt's character nicely, and Brandy's been telling her to dump Freddie and get with him. His name? Will Benson. But wait...Freddie is on his way up to Boston from North Carolina to propose! But the fisherman somehow knew the exact route Freddie would take across six states in order to ambush the car, kill his friend, and incapacitate him. So now that Hewitt can't get a hold of Freddie, she decides to take Will and Brandy's boyfriend.

We get to the end of the movie and the fisherman makes his one-handed appearance near the graves of a bunch of people from the first film, and introduces his accomplice...Will. Will Benson. And they actually loving say out loud "You know...WILL, BEN'S SON" and now we're asked to believe that the fisherman had his son enroll in the same college as Hewitt and Brandy to get close to them, was able to fake a call from a radio station the girls already listen to and would take any answer they gave even if it were incorrect, knew Hewitt would be convinced to take Will and not take Freddie, knew when and where Freddie would be coming up to visit her to take him out but not kill him for some reason, somehow transported all the bodies from the first movie to graves in the Bahamas, killed everyone else on the island even though their target was Hewitt, and I can't keep going because the blood from my eyes may short out my keyboard.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seemed to make sense to me; the whole theme is that they don't really understand how the game works, and they're trying to think laterally by having the hot chick distract the goons- because they're teenagers, of course they think that's a foolproof plan- and especially have trouble understanding their characters' innate abilities, since it involves using skills they've never learned and muscle memory they don't have. Doesn't help that the movie seems to follow some of the cartoon 'rules' of Jumanji, where the game is sentient, infinitely spiteful, and likes to think it's teaching you a lesson.
They literal list smolder as one of his strengths and when he does it all the characters stops in their tracks. Its also dumb to make a woman who's not good at flirting try and do that when she's not even the only one in the group who could easily beat them up instead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that bugged me about Terminator Dark Fate is that if Terminators had been coming back multiple times you'd think the government would have some knowledge of them by this point.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I was always bugged by how everyone in The Long Kiss Goodnight is a master knife thrower, and they do it like it was the vaping of the 90s

Geena Davis is cool though

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Joey Freshwater posted:

Regarding the Jumanji back and forth, I've not seen it so sorry if this doesn't apply, but just a thought: Ever played a stealth game where you come up on two goons you're supposed to beat up or whatever and they're just jabbering away? And if you just sit there they eventually start repeating themselves?

Could it be like that? Those NPC dudes just sit there running through that script to infinity whether someone is present or not, because how would they know? You're in stealth.

I bought Thief (2014), played it for a few hours and then deleted it and this was an extremely annoying part of the game. The background dialogue must've been keyed to where you were and just constantly repeated itself over and over, sometimes overlapping in a cacophony of repeated dialogue. Which was especially infuriating because I was probably in that spot specifically to scope out the path forward so imagine trying to memorize guard movements while 4 npcs jabber endlessly.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

I bought Thief (2014), played it for a few hours and then deleted it and this was an extremely annoying part of the game. The background dialogue must've been keyed to where you were and just constantly repeated itself over and over, sometimes overlapping in a cacophony of repeated dialogue. Which was especially infuriating because I was probably in that spot specifically to scope out the path forward so imagine trying to memorize guard movements while 4 npcs jabber endlessly.

it was pretty immersive in the 90s :shrug:

ohhh you mean new Thief never played

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beachcomber posted:

One thing I like from the Terminator 2 extended media, I think it's the novelization, is the idea that Skynet was very hesitant to use the T-1000 because it doesn't have any direct control, and might not even have a complete idea as to how it actually works.

It's the novelisation. John Connor's troops are busting down the door before Skynet sends Arnie to 1984, and it waited until literally the last possible millisecond before sending the T-1000 because it's so volatile and unpredictable. But it's not just the T-1000; Skynet was unsure about the use of time travel in the first place, because it couldn't predict the consequences.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Jedit posted:

It's the novelisation.

I think it's brought up in SCC that Skynet doesn't trust the T1000 as they're too adaptable, and can't be trusted to stick with mission parameters. As we see in season two yes I'm still mad it got cancelled I have chosen my hill to die upon sir and I will not waver in my purpose.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Nightmare on Elm Street 3.

Why is Nancy carrying her sleep medication around in her purse?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Alan Smithee posted:

I was always bugged by how everyone in The Long Kiss Goodnight is a master knife thrower, and they do it like it was the vaping of the 90s

Geena Davis is cool though

Weren't they all master spy assassins, though?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Weren't they all master spy assassins, though?

yeah

but it annoyed me

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm irritated with the nice guy character in shows who is desperate to be in a relationship which somehow makes them irresistible to every single woman who gets near them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gaunab posted:

I'm irritated with the nice guy character in shows who is desperate to be in a relationship which somehow makes them irresistible to every single woman who gets near them.

Jazz from Fresh Prince?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Gaunab posted:

Are you saying you wouldn't gently caress Ross Geller?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's the novelisation. John Connor's troops are busting down the door before Skynet sends Arnie to 1984, and it waited until literally the last possible millisecond before sending the T-1000 because it's so volatile and unpredictable. But it's not just the T-1000; Skynet was unsure about the use of time travel in the first place, because it couldn't predict the consequences.

I'm upset that in Genesys, when they have an Evil John Conner, they protagonists don't team up with the T-1000 that was sent specifically to kill John Conner.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

It reminds me of how I Still Know What You Did Last Summer has perhaps the dumbest loving setup in the history of film.

What hosed me up about this movie is the horribly inaccurate title. It takes place one year after the first movie, so it should be called “ I Still Know What You Did TWO Summers Ago”, not “I Still Know What You Did Last Summer”.

Beachcomber posted:

In the first Nightmare On Elm Street Nancy’s mom checks Nancy’s room looking for any pills or amphetimenes that Nancy might have hidden so she could stay up. She doesn’t find anything and leaves. Nancy, who was pretending to be asleep the whole time reaches under her bed and pulls out a coffee maker with an entire pot of coffee in it. Nancy’s mom would have been able to smell a running coffee machine form at least the hallway.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Counterpoint: it was the 80's and Nancy's mom's nose was wrecked from doing so much cocaine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Well now what does cocaine smell like??

gasoline :ssh:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

What really bugged me about Scream 2 was how preposterous the opening murders are. At first it seems like the killer just went for two random people in a movie theater. But then you find out they were specifically targeted because they had similar names to the first two victims in the first film. But...how the gently caress would the killer know that Omar Epps would convince his girlfriend to see the movie then need the restroom and use a stall just so he could be stabbed in the head through the wall?

I know that they changed up the entire plot when the script leaked online. Maybe this made more sense in the original version?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Sand Monster posted:

I know that they changed up the entire plot when the script leaked online. Maybe this made more sense in the original version?

That would actually make a lot of sense, that the whole "killing people with the same name" thing didn't happen until the forced rewrites. Especially because I don't think we find out the names of Jada and Omar's characters in that scene, which makes it seem even more out of left field.

Was that the first instance of the script of a major movie leaking online, leading to changes? It was in 1997.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

muscles like this! posted:

Something that bugged me about Terminator Dark Fate is that if Terminators had been coming back multiple times you'd think the government would have some knowledge of them by this point.

I don’t get how Sarah Connor had been successfully killing Terminators by herself. Did Skynet/Legion just have a really bad batch up until the start of the movie?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

I mean, if she ends up in a situation where she needs to sleep and doesn't have it, she could literally die so why take chances?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

I don’t get how Sarah Connor had been successfully killing Terminators by herself. Did Skynet/Legion just have a really bad batch up until the start of the movie?

There was a comic I saw somewhere where Hitler was in his office, sees a random dude appear, and takes him out. Pan out to see several other guys, all in various different outfits. Hitler makes the remark that since so many people travel in time to kill him, he's gotten REALLY good at this.

Other than all the parental fuckery in Frozen, I think I know what I hate the most: Olaf. He is the JarJar of the movie and only does one thing that isn't even needed. And then the whole surprise villain, when clearly it should have been the trolls.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Her entrance to the fight against the Rev9 sure is impressive but I don't know how exactly she was supposed to finish it off seeing as the rocket launcher didn't damage the endoskeleton and a shotgun sure wasn't going to do anything against the liquid metal part.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cowslips Warren posted:

There was a comic I saw somewhere where Hitler was in his office, sees a random dude appear, and takes him out. Pan out to see several other guys, all in various different outfits. Hitler makes the remark that since so many people travel in time to kill him, he's gotten REALLY good at this.

I'm pretty sure that the two time travellers had their civilization under attack from the future and were losing badly, so their only choice was to recruit the one man who'd successfully defeated all comers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In the first Nightmare On Elm Street Nancy’s mom checks Nancy’s room looking for any pills or amphetimenes that Nancy might have hidden so she could stay up. She doesn’t find anything and leaves. Nancy, who was pretending to be asleep the whole time reaches under her bed and pulls out a coffee maker with an entire pot of coffee in it. Nancy’s mom would have been able to smell a running coffee machine form at least the hallway.

Even as a stupid teenager, coffee maker under the bed never made sense. I feel like that scene must have been improvised and the writers hadn't figured out it out yet. No one had a spare thermos, but someone remembered the Mr. Coffee in the break room.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Cowslips Warren posted:

Other than all the parental fuckery in Frozen, I think I know what I hate the most: Olaf. He is the JarJar of the movie and only does one thing that isn't even needed. And then the whole surprise villain, when clearly it should have been the trolls.

Disney should stop doing surprise villains, because surprise villains never get villain songs.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Dr Christmas posted:

Disney should stop doing surprise villains, because surprise villains never get villain songs.

This was my irritating thing about the first couple of Harry Potter books.

Book starts, Harry is getting shat on by the meanie normal people. Goes to school, where some new evil plot is afoot. Meets new guy who seems to help him agaisnt other guy who seems to be hindering him. Whoops surprise! The guy you thought was good was really bad, and the guy that was bad was really good. Harry goes home, and nothing has changed and the whole cycle begins again in the next book.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Saw the trailer for the new Invisible Man film. It looks like it might be pretty good, but I'm kinda hoping there's a line or something in there about how he's not visible under a thermal cam, cause if not, gently caress the whole movie plot can be solved in a day by just buying a camera off amazon and overnighting it.

"MY ABUSIVE EX IS AN INVISIBLE MAN WHO'S HAUNTING ME"
"Well, you sound crazy"
"LOOK THROUGH THIS OVER THERE"
"Oh poo poo, you right, open fire boys!"
*roll credits*

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

An invisible man would either be blind or just straight up magic (where there's no rules.)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
True, but the whole idea in the trailer is he's THERE and you can SEE HIM BREATHE and BE SPOOKY IN THE STEAM, so if he's there and his breath is foggy, he should show up on a thermal camera pretty easily.

Granted, anything in scifi you have to take with a grain of salt, it just seems like a massive overlook by the script writers if they didn't think of it. FLIR cams are pretty cheap nowadays (as opposed to the ones back in the day that were like 30k a pop) and easily available.

Granted, throw out a line like "HE'S PARTIALLY PHASED OUT OF THIS DIMENSION AND INTO THE NEXT" or "HE'S OUT OF SYNC WITH REALITY AND THAT'S WHY HE CAN WHATEVER" and it's cool.

I'm just worried, cause the trailer makes the movie look pretty good, but I just hate "obvious" (to me anyway) plot holes like that.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Saw the trailer for the new Invisible Man film. It looks like it might be pretty good, but I'm kinda hoping there's a line or something in there about how he's not visible under a thermal cam, cause if not, gently caress the whole movie plot can be solved in a day by just buying a camera off amazon and overnighting it.

"MY ABUSIVE EX IS AN INVISIBLE MAN WHO'S HAUNTING ME"
"Well, you sound crazy"
"LOOK THROUGH THIS OVER THERE"
"Oh poo poo, you right, open fire boys!"
*roll credits*
I remember in Hollow Man everybody trapped in the underground lab started using thermal goggles to try to find Sebastian Caine, but Caine sabotaged the HVAC system to blast 90+ degree air, rendering it useless.

Same technique was used in the Pierce Brosnan remake of The Thomas Crown Affair.

Real talk: thermal imaging doesn't allow you to see through walls like the movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx49t4sv7f0&hd=1

My favorite thing is that thermal devices can be defeated by plain glass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIhFupwqOU4&hd=1&t=446s

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I thought it was funny in Hollow man how he made a thing of not being able to close his eyelids and yet somehow his eyes bend light normally

Boy was that movie rapey as gently caress

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Everyone makes fun of it but nowadays it's easier to picture a scientist going out raping as soon as they turn invisible.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lol Elisabeth Moss is in it

Guess she’s being haunted by thetans

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

An invisible man would either be blind or just straight up magic (where there's no rules.)

I mean baked into that is the assumption that your invisibility doesn't include the ability to generate light - a Sufficiently Good version of the old video projector + camera trick could cover up the eyeholes in your invisibility cloak

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Sufficiently advanced technology indistinguishable from magic blah blah blah

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Alan Smithee posted:

I thought it was funny in Hollow man how he made a thing of not being able to close his eyelids and yet somehow his eyes bend light normally

Boy was that movie rapey as gently caress

Following the multi-layered and controversial Starship Troopers (1997), Verhoeven wanted to tone down the levels of sex and violence in his next film, aiming to make a more "conventionally commercial blockbuster".

:thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mierenneuker posted:

Following the multi-layered and controversial Starship Troopers (1997), Verhoeven wanted to tone down the levels of sex and violence in his next film, aiming to make a more "conventionally commercial blockbuster".

:thumbsup:

It was a clever satire, not horniness. Ok???