Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Forceholy posted:

Yeah, I'm getting that vibe as well. Dr. Manhattan could be a huge red herring. Petey did mention that she quoted Ozymandias after she revealed that huge structure in the middle of Tulsa after buying Veidt's company.

For like a second I was rolling my eyes at someone unironically quoting the Shelley poem in a way that goes completely against the meaning of it and then I remembered that OZY Fest exists and that I overestimated humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

For like a second I was rolling my eyes at someone unironically quoting the Shelley poem in a way that goes completely against the meaning of it and then I remembered that OZY Fest exists and that I overestimated humanity.

“admittedly ours is a stupid and wrong interpretation - because that’s who we are”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sleeveless posted:

Hahaha gross

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Imagine the poor marketer who has to justify the founder's misreading of that poem after the fact.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

This writeup for it is amazing, that specific kind of weird impotent flailing and rallying around vague broad concepts people were doing before the actual 2020 election started gearing up and they had actual candidates and platforms to rally around is such an odd cultural artifact despite only being last year.

feedmyleg posted:

Imagine the poor marketer who has to justify the founder's misreading of that poem after the fact.

The actual About Us page that's from is even worse than you can imagine.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

It’s amazing how well cast the watchman movie is...it’s too bad the actors aren’t age appropriate to play their counterparts in this shown
Counterpoint: Matthew Goode

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

This reads like a fake web site on a comedy show like 30 Rock

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've always thought that Ozymandias, the name, was one of the worst parts of Watchmen. I guess the message is that Veidt is so egotistical that he thinks he can redefine the meaning of the poem, but it just makes him look so obviously dumb.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I mean, Ozymandias is extremely dumb. His whole plan is idiotic

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The ones who named themselves were either consciously or unconsciously stating the problem they were trying to address. "The world is a sick joke", "the only meaning in the universe is the one we impose on it", "all our efforts are, in the long run, doomed"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ozymandias is the English poetic name for Ramses II—it wasn’t invented for the poem. I agree that you’re supposed to be thinking of the poem, but Veidt may just be egotistical enough to not be thinking of the poem.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Ramses II was even his super clever and secure computer password so yeah that tracks

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
boys folder

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Speaking of Ozy and lack of security/safetey, I never really got the scene in the comics where Rorschach is talking to him in his office and there are giant open windows....high up in a skyscraper...in heavy rain.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Speaking of Ozy and lack of security/safetey, I never really got the scene in the comics where Rorschach is talking to him in his office and there are giant open windows....high up in a skyscraper...in heavy rain.

there were open windows? maybe the movie is running together with the book in my mind

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mandrel posted:

there were open windows? maybe the movie is running together with the book in my mind

Yeah, Rorschach had his grappling hook on a conveniently open window. In a rainstorm.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Colonel Whitey posted:

Ramses II was even his super clever and secure computer password so yeah that tracks

Moore literally predicted people using admin as their password

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
FullFirst volume of soundtrack is streaming on Spotify.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 6, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

No, it's just the first volume.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Gave it a fast spin on Apple Music and went ahead ordered the vinyl for volume 1. That packaging is super nice.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

nate fisher posted:

Gave it a fast spin on Apple Music and went ahead ordered the vinyl for volume 1. That packaging is super nice.

Where the heck did you find the vinyl version for sale?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At first I hated Matthew Goode as ozy but I’ve come around to it because it makes him seem even more pathetic

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

hell yea finally

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Excellent! Here's the Apple Music link.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Nail Rat posted:

Where the heck did you find the vinyl version for sale?

Target still has it listed for preorder and accepted my order with a delivery date of next week. I am not 100% sure if it will happen (I’m telling myself glitch), but looks good so far. You never know if you don’t try.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I found a link that worked on Amazon for a preorder. For some reason there are two vinyl pages listed. The one with the image shows not available, the other lets you preorder (but at this point, estimated ship date is not available because the first run is sold out)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z74G6ZQ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Nail Rat posted:

I found a link that worked on Amazon for a preorder. For some reason there are two vinyl pages listed. The one with the image shows not available, the other lets you preorder (but at this point, estimated ship date is not available because the first run is sold out)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z74G6ZQ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't see that one. I only saw the one linked from the NIN store (which is sold out). I have a feeling the Target is either a placeholder for the second run. It also shows without the image which makes me a little worrisome. I didn't care for a second run, but I wanted it to be exactly like the first run.

https://www.target.com/p/trent-reznor---watchmen--volume-1--ost---vinyl-/-/A-78786715

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm sure it will be exactly the same. So far Reznor has never done different colors or packaging for any distinct runs of releases.

Amazon product pages can get pretty weird for highly in-demand products (see the NES classic)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:dance:

Time to break out the enormous blue dildos and turn up the music.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

MoaM posted:

The only :tinfoil: I'd like to add this thread is that A, the news-stand scene from last week's episode implies there are psychics (or a singular psychic or another psychic device) in Tulsa and B, there are prominent, slightly transparent blue dots in the sky of two of the outdoor Veidt scenes.

Re: B - A pale blue dot?
Could support the "Veidt's on Mars" theory. (Unless you mean more than one being visible at once - I've not gone and checked.)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Is there Veidt on Mars? *guitar bit*

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Why the gently caress would I care about the difference between a communist and a nazi, both dead ideologies when capitalism was doing so well for me ?

This is the greatest post I’ve ever read

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The sister night actress is really good. The old lazy is terrible. I hate most of her dialogues and delivery. I imagine that's how Lindelof talk.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Mandrel posted:

I mean, Ozymandias is extremely dumb. His whole plan is idiotic

Ozymandias was right. The world was moments away from nuclear Armageddon when his plan went through.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mike the TV posted:

Ozymandias was right. The world was moments away from nuclear Armageddon when his plan went through.

Yeah, the book makes it clear that Dr Manhattan had skewed the balance of MAD and America thought that since he was on their side, a nuclear exchange was winnable. Thing was, even if he gave enough of a poo poo to actually try to stop the nukes, it was unlikely that he would be able to.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

EmptyVessel posted:

Re: B - A pale blue dot?
Could support the "Veidt's on Mars" theory. (Unless you mean more than one being visible at once - I've not gone and checked.)

Supposed to look like lens flare but so many pieces of the puzzle fit that it's probably our man Doc.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Mike the TV posted:

Only because Dr. Manhattan left Earth, which was caused by Ozy's cancer scam, part of the plan. If he hadn't murdered most of Dr. Manhattan's associates there would be no crisis; the military would have either smoothed things over with Laurie or found a replacement. There may have been a long term danger, but the immediate crisis was entirely Veidt's fault and he thus can get no credit for averting it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mike the TV posted:

why not just ask Manhattan to rid the world of nuclear weapons? seems like a reasonable Plan A when Plan B is “kill millions with an psychic alien squid”

Thranguy posted:

the immediate crisis was entirely Veidt's fault and he thus can get no credit for averting it.
Veidt probably assumed that Autistic Superman would have lighted out for the galaxy sooner or later, so a crisis was inevitable

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 7, 2019

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Thranguy posted:

Only because Dr. Manhattan left Earth, which was caused by Ozy's cancer scam, part of the plan. If he hadn't murdered most of Dr. Manhattan's associates there would be no crisis; the military would have either smoothed things over with Laurie or found a replacement. There may have been a long term danger, but the immediate crisis was entirely Veidt's fault and he thus can get no credit for averting it.

Imagine what it would be like if, in real life, there were people out there tripping over their balls in the rush to give credit to some megalomaniac who created the very problems he claims to have fixed, with those "fixes" coming at enormous, terrible cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

TenementFunster posted:

why not just ask Manhattan to rid the world of nuclear weapons? seems like a reasonable Plan A when Plan B is “kill millions with an psychic alien squid”

I think Moore was aware of this plothole, one of the supplementary articles included at the beginning of the issues was focused partly on hand waving it. If I remember correctly it argued that the Russians would never willingly acquiesce to a foreign agent after the betrayal and dehumanization they received at the hands of the nazis, and a mass launch of thousands of ICBMs would be beyond even Manhattan's capability to prevent.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 7, 2019