Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Eschenique posted:

This caught me off guard because in the late 90s when a brand new phone was like $60 you could get a phone for free if you signed up for 2 years.

Somewhere along the way this transition to a payment plan for a $700 phone on top of the regular monthly fee.

you can get bottom tier prepaid flip and pseuso-smart phones for like $20, and some carriers will give you a crappy smartphone free with a data plan. you can also get old iphones for pretty cheap. paying $200+ for a phone is a status symbol, all the power of a miniature laptop in your pocket so you can be using the internet everywhere, all of the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

luxury handset posted:

you can get bottom tier prepaid flip and pseuso-smart phones for like $20, and some carriers will give you a crappy smartphone free with a data plan. you can also get old iphones for pretty cheap. paying $200+ for a phone is a status symbol, all the power of a miniature laptop in your pocket so you can be using the internet everywhere, all of the time!

Yeah it's just the process was so seamless that I think I was two $700 phones in before I realized it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Walmart has a 'lowend' galaxy phone thats actually quite good; the only downside really is it only has 16gb of storage and I guess no fingerprint or nfc if you care about that. It's only like $70, prepaid plan is separate

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Julio Cruz posted:

except they’re even more expensive, you’re just not paying the cost all at once

How? Every phone I've gotten has been at 0%. I suppose I'm losing pennies due to inflation.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Walmart has a 'lowend' galaxy phone thats actually quite good; the only downside really is it only has 16gb of storage and I guess no fingerprint or nfc if you care about that. It's only like $70, prepaid plan is separate

My current phone is a 4 year old Sony and it's still going strong.

In fact repair costs are going down. The price of a new screen (rip) halved. Maybe the spare parts inventory is really big?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Phones are both unaffordable and functionally free.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've only ever gotten "new" phones (as in, an improvement over the previous) either as hand me downs (and thus used), or when I switched carriers and got the sign up discount.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
New high-end flagship phones are expensive, but it's still possible to get a phone a couple generations older for free or $5/$10 a month. Which is a great counterpoint to bring up whenever someone brings up seeing a "welfare queen" using an iPhone.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Forceholy posted:

A crazy amount of millennials and zoomers will sell out for a bit of wealth.

The "They Live" effect.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Ok Boomer

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Oh wait, one more.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I agree, no performance is worth one million dollars, let alone many millions. We should seize that money to help our mentally ill veterans and provide affordable housing for the transient working class in large cities! The remainder could go to advertisements encouraging everyday folks to take pride in their own lives, cultures, and bodies instead of idolizing a parasitic class of extraordinarily lucky turncoats.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

borkencode posted:

Oh wait, one more.

True if you consider tax breaks for billionaires welfare.

That said, the billionaire menu is.a.poor mans idea of how a rich.man eats

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm not gonna lie if I ever inherit a billion dollars I'm donating most of it and living off the residual of the rest. And I'll eat Red Lobster biscuits for every meal.*

*I assume rich people have some kind of cholesterol regulating nanorobots.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Always a good one; ask people how much they think we spend on foreign aid, and how much we should be spending (they usually think we spend way more than we do, and think we should spend more than we actually do :ssh:)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
welp bought a lobster, there goes the whole month.(lol at poo poo that doesnt happen)

also jail would have spolied soylent level poo poo, while homeless might have some sort fastfood meal, while work would have a wide range of stuff depending of what kind of work, class , and area the worker has.,

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
I'm from Minnesota, and I'm currently down in a Southern state for a company-wide training program. Every day that I've been on the road with a boomer coworker, as soon as I said I'm from Minnesota, they've launched into an anti-Ilhan Omar FW:FW:FW:FW rant. Like, no political subject was brought up previously, but as soon as I said "Minnesota" the floodgates opened. Marrying her brother, saying that 9/11 was no big deal, saying that she hates all white people, all the greatest hits. Three days in a row.

I was caught off guard the first day, but after the initial ambush, I started pushing back, and as soon as I asked "where, exactly, are you getting this information?" they IMMEDIATELY changed subject. One of them mumbled something about "them" doing a lot of research, but didn't clarify.

This afternoon, I got an ad on a random website with the text "SHOCKING! See the video that Ilhan Omar doesn't want you to see!" underneath a photoshopped picture of modern-day Omar smiling with a blurry shot of the burning Twin Towers in the background.

I am so, so very tired.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

PhazonLink posted:

welp bought a lobster, there goes the whole month.(lol at poo poo that doesnt happen)

That poo poo happens all the time. Persistent poverty creates a feast or famine mindset.

Poor people deserve nice things and deserve to celebrate. Removing the "famine" part of the equation moderates "feast" part.

Let people have what joys they can and work towards giving them more and sustained joys.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Always a good one; ask people how much they think we spend on foreign aid, and how much we should be spending (they usually think we spend way more than we do, and think we should spend more than we actually do :ssh:)

Whenever someone makes this argument, I like to ask why they're suddenly a big supporter of domestic welfare programs.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Considering how much voting Americans have been doing in favor of not helping someone in order to help the veterans. The veterans must surely have been helped by now.

I have an online friend who works for the Veteran assistance thing. And he says that it's not even a straight up funding issue. It's that they have too little staff to handle the sheer amount of bureaucracy between getting the money from the pile to the veterans that need it. But there's no effort made to increase staff or reduce bureaucracy.

Of course you could also argue that this bureaucracy and the low staff count is to keep costs down which is probably true.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
People say I am making up things but "Pentagonism" by Juan Bosch is a must read and discusses the utility of broken bodies to the MIC.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Eschenique posted:

Considering how much voting Americans have been doing in favor of not helping someone in order to help the veterans. The veterans must surely have been helped by now.

I have an online friend who works for the Veteran assistance thing. And he says that it's not even a straight up funding issue. It's that they have too little staff to handle the sheer amount of bureaucracy between getting the money from the pile to the veterans that need it. But there's no effort made to increase staff or reduce bureaucracy.

Of course you could also argue that this bureaucracy and the low staff count is to keep costs down which is probably true.

This was true back when the VA was a scandal under Obama/Bush. People who were already in the system were fine and liked it. The issue was always that they couldn't handle the intake, and not shockingly, the problem became a lot less important when a Republican was in the White House.

The problem was Bush created some huge wars, and then just didn't account for the fact that these new wars would mean new veterans.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The used phone market is insane. A note 9 is only $300 on swappa. Just lol if you ever pay retail for a phone.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Shbobdb posted:

That poo poo happens all the time. Persistent poverty creates a feast or famine mindset.

Poor people deserve nice things and deserve to celebrate. Removing the "famine" part of the equation moderates "feast" part.

Let people have what joys they can and work towards giving them more and sustained joys.

Orwell posted:

The miner’s family spend only ten pence a week on green vegetables and ten pence half-penny on milk (remember that one of them is a child less than three years old), and nothing on fruit; but they spend one and nine on sugar (about eight pounds of sugar, that is) and a shilling on tea. The half-crown spent on meat might represent a small joint and the materials for a stew; probably as often as not it would represent four or five tins of bully beef. The basis of their diet, therefore, is white bread and margarine, corned beef, sugared tea, and potatoes – an appalling diet.

Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn’t.

When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don’t want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit ‘tasty’. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you. Let’s have three penny's worth of chips, run out and buy us a twopenny ice-cream! Put the kettle on and we’ll have a nice cup of tea. That is how your mind works when you are at the P.A.C. level. White bread-and-marg and sugared tea don’t nourish you to any extent but they are nicer (at least most people think so) than brown bread-and-dripping and cold water. Unemployment is an endless misery that has got to be constantly palliated.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

T-man posted:

I'm not gonna lie if I ever inherit a billion dollars I'm donating most of it and living off the residual of the rest. And I'll eat Red Lobster biscuits for every meal.*

It's not possible to ethically donate a billion dollars. That kind of money is going to attract so many scammers and grifters you'll end up wasting most of it rather than actually helping needy people. Theoretically giving it to the state could work, but you know, actually existing states aren't very interested in improving the general welfare.

Coming into that kind of money suddenly is a loving curse for your morality.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Orange Devil posted:

It's not possible to ethically donate a billion dollars. That kind of money is going to attract so many scammers and grifters you'll end up wasting most of it rather than actually helping needy people. Theoretically giving it to the state could work, but you know, actually existing states aren't very interested in improving the general welfare.

Coming into that kind of money suddenly is a loving curse for your morality.

I don't know, donating it all to Planned Parenthood so no one in America would ever have to worry about the monetary cost of abortions would feel pretty great.

duz fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 7, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Donate it to me and I promise I will spend it well

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

honestly i'd probably just wander around setting up non-profit housing schemes and giving it to food not bombs

and use it to fund a leftist revolution from behind the scenes, with a billion it really isn't either/or.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if you won a tremendous, 7+ figure sum in a lottery or something, the only way to not torpedo your life and the lives of people subject to your cruel generosity would be to put the money into trusts which pay out a fixed income every year and strict controls about how much of this money can be accessed for different purposes

giving someone a guaranteed $100k yearly income would be difficult but managable, just dropping millions of dollars on a person would likely crush them. the same is true of large institutions just with larger piles of money

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'd still go to work if I won a billion dollars. Gives me structure and a place to be and people to see.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

T-man posted:

honestly i'd probably just wander around setting up non-profit housing schemes and giving it to food not bombs

and use it to fund a leftist revolution from behind the scenes, with a billion it really isn't either/or.

the T stands for Totally Not Soros

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'd still go to work if I won a billion dollars. Gives me structure and a place to be and people to see.

I go to work somewhere else. Or try to run my own business.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, my lottery fantasies involve taking a job i want to do rather than taking a job to earn enough money to support my family. i'd be a public school teacher for sure

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

luxury handset posted:

i'd be a public school teacher for sure

I have frequent nightmares/stress dreams where I'm somehow desperate and have to go back to teaching high school math. No thanks.

I'd probably just be a permanent student, though, and see how many degrees I can collect and different fields I can learn about before I die.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

luxury handset posted:

yeah, my lottery fantasies involve taking a job i want to do rather than taking a job to earn enough money to support my family. i'd be a public school teacher for sure

You won the lottery - you can afford a professional dominatrix if you want to torture yourself.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Finally, a teacher who can actually afford to spend their salary on school supplies and classroom equipment!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

duz posted:

I don't know, donating it all to Planned Parenthood so no one in America would ever have to worry about the monetary cost of abortions would feel pretty great.

Would you be able to live with yourself if that bomb of money ended up destroying Planned Parenthood?

Cus if the answer is yes, then go for it, take the gamble.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

T-man posted:

A billion dollars is the kind of money where I would literally be unable to spend it even if I just blew it on whatever floated my fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

A billion dollars is the kind of money where I would literally be unable to spend it even if I just blew it on whatever floated my fancy.

My typical hypothetical example of how much a billion dollars is:

If you had a billion dollars you could buy a brand new $300,000 Lamborghini in cash on a Sunday. You could then drive that car for a week, and then on Saturday push it off a cliff, and buy a new one on Sunday. You could continue to do that, every week, for over sixty four years. A car that costs more than most people's homes, in cash, every week, for long enough there's a decent chance you could run out of years you can legally drive before you ran out of money, since after getting your license at 16 you'd be over 80.