Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
One thing that was a little disappointing is that it seems like edit officer replacements for generics don't participate in events that they normally would. An edit Yuan Shu, for example, doesn't seem to ever bother to declare itself emperor, and replacing He Jin seems to not even start the Yellow Turban Rebellion events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I just end up making dumb poo poo when it comes to Edit Officers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Persona 5 Musou, 2/20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKEKHvJJ5Mg

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
You know what I really want, and would be really cool, but would probably never happen?

A Warhammer Musou game.

Oh wow, I forgot that they had announced a Persona 5 Musou game. I was just expecting it to just be Dynasty Warriors with a P5 paint-job, but that trailer makes it look like it'll be a lot more fleshed out than that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That's one hella stylish Musou.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Azran posted:

That's one hella stylish Musou.

Holy poo poo. I was just expecting something along the lines of Hyrule Warriors at BEST.

I wasn't expecting Atlas to bring the polish and basically give us Persona X Dynasty Warriors in such a manner.

The grin on my face is real, holy loving poo poo I can't wait for the English Release....assuming that Atlas is going to act like Atlas, and bring it over because Persona. Here's hoping we get it translated.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd be surprised if it didn't get localized. The last time we didn't get a Persona game was the PSP port of Eternal Punishment, iirc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Oh wow, I forgot that they had announced a Persona 5 Musou game. I was just expecting it to just be Dynasty Warriors with a P5 paint-job, but that trailer makes it look like it'll be a lot more fleshed out than that.

Hmmm, I dunno, it looks like a lot. And I'm not really looking to play a 23 minute mission only to have to kill time for three hours between the next one. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All the platforming stuff reminds me of Pirate Warriors 1....

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
I'm not interested in it mostly because it's leaving money behind by not being a full Persona Musou. :colbert:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Dual Monarchy posted:

I'm not interested in it mostly because it's leaving money behind by not being a full Persona Musou. :colbert:

Yea, the fact it's only Persona 5 really rankles.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I don't even know what any of that is.

I'm just here waiting for the next DW/SW game :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Eh, while I'd love a Persona Warriors with full representation from all the games (yes, 1 and 2 included), I'd prefer a smaller, but fully polished cast over a larger cast with a bunch of duds and one or two super overpowered dudes. And the fact that it's Persona 5 only makes sense, considering it's the most recent and most popular game in the franchise. I'll be happy if the full cast of P5 is playable in the game, along with whatever OCs Omega Force makes for the game. Then they can build on the cast in DLC and/or sequels.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Apparently there’s a part of the trailer where some background poo poo flickers backwards through the color schemes of all 5 persona games which are making some nerds hope all games will be represented.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think that's just people getting their hopes up too much. I think at best you should expect the full P5 cast and maybe Yasogami/Gekkoukan uniform costumes.

If it does happen I'll be thrilled, but given the past history of first-gen crossover Warriors titles, I think expecting a large cast is setting yourself up for disappointment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean if the full Persona 5 cast is in then you can pretty safely assume we'll see P3 or P4 because "A Musou Game Without DLC" isn't happening in 2020.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

That P5 game looks less like a Musou and more like Dragon Quest Heroes. Still hype, but I'm definitely not expecting Shibuya Phantom Thief Warriors.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I know it’s a different genre, but did anyone play TW:Three Kingdoms?

Is it worth getting? Mainly interested if theres some opportunities to see some badass Zhuge Liang tactics come into play.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Manic X posted:

I know it’s a different genre, but did anyone play TW:Three Kingdoms?

Is it worth getting? Mainly interested if theres some opportunities to see some badass Zhuge Liang tactics come into play.

I've played it and enjoyed it. Not quite as much as the TW Warhammer games (the asymmetry of the factions in those really makes things cool), but it's probably like my 3rd/4th favorite TW game. The DLCs so far have been kinda supbar though (well, YT was average, but 8 Princes was...not great), so probably don't get them.

There's even a mod on Nexus to replace the ingame portraits with DW9 portraits, if DW has forever morphed how you imagine 3K era characters.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 31, 2019

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The diplomacy system is the best it's ever been, too. There is also a mod calles Make Them Unique that is adding professionally-made art to characters who currently use generic portraits, such as Wen Chou or Lady Wu.

Also the Nanman are coming at some point in the future. Next DLC is also for the main campaign (rather than its own thing, like Eight Princes) so we'll see how that goes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I didn't like it at all but I think I just don't like Total War :(

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shinji117 posted:

There's even a mod on Nexus to replace the ingame portraits with DW9 portraits, if DW has forever morphed how you imagine 3K era characters.

DW has forever tainted my idea of how I think a bunch of Chinese folk from almost 2000 years ago look. This mod will help greatly in cementing this bizarre perception for the rest of my life.

IF ZHUGE LIANG ISN'T WEARING THAT WHIRLY HAT THEN IT AIN'T ZHUGE LIANG.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

IF ZHUGE LIANG ISN'T WEARING THAT WHIRLY HAT THEN IT AIN'T ZHUGE LIANG.
Good news, he has a hat in 3K

Jia Xu has the biggest hat though.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 1, 2019

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I just Platinumed Pirate Warriors 3. It was the quickest I've completed a Musou game, and I'm now 5 episodes into watching One Piece. That won't take long, right? Right?

And now it's time to finally get to Samurai Warriors 4-2. Ideally wrapping it up just in time for Warriors Orochi 4. It never ends. :shepface:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't watch the anime, read the manga, or at least switch after Water 7 when what pacing it had turns to utter poo poo.

That's a good 250 episodes or so anyway

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Uncle Ulty posted:

I just Platinumed Pirate Warriors 3. It was the quickest I've completed a Musou game, and I'm now 5 episodes into watching One Piece. That won't take long, right? Right?

And now it's time to finally get to Samurai Warriors 4-2. Ideally wrapping it up just in time for Warriors Orochi 4. It never ends. :shepface:

if you want it to go faster there's always the manga, you can get access to the whole thing for like, 3 bucks a month on the SJ app/website

(keep this in mind doubly around marineford where the pacing of the anime gets really loving dire and never really recovers even to this day)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
60 episodes in and I am surprised how bloated each arc has become after the first few villains. Until they get to Arlong, each arc villain doesn't put up a tough fight, but manages to drag it out several episodes longer than needed. It really feels like Grandpa Ryu exists to troll the viewer, with several episodes involving around staring at his eyes and pretending to advance the story.
I'll switch to the manga.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Oh god, I remember at one point the anime caught up to the manga and I think the manga was on break for a while, so they just kept doing flashback fillers. Not even filler arcs since all of the characters were in a place where it would have been impossible to cram in anything else, just straight up "Hey, remember when...?" over and over again. Pretty sure that was near the end of Water 7.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That stuff was better than the current method of three minute intro, five minutes of what happened last week, then stretching out a single manga chapter per episode because at least you could skip those.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sakurazuka posted:

That stuff was better than the current method of three minute intro, five minutes of what happened last week, then stretching out a single manga chapter per episode because at least you could skip those.

I watched the whole series through to what was then current and then tried watching the simulcast. Things slowed down significantly once they got to the New World.

There's always a comment on Crunchyroll telling you the timestamp for the episode's title card. I remember not long before I gave up on the anime it was like 13 minutes in. 13 minutes of "what happened in the last dozen episodes(it was like 2-3 episodes worth of stuff in a normal show)" in a 22 minute show. I think I quit watching like 2-3 episodes after that.

One Piece's anime is mostly good until Water 7, Water 7 is really really good, it slows down a bit after that, slows down some more after the New World starts up, then hits a loving brick wall 2 arcs into the New World and I doubt it recovered because I gave up on it when things were getting interesting but nothing was still happening in an episode.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm going through DW7 and I gotta agree with the people who say it's got better storytelling than DW8 but man, the Wu ending is so unintentionally hilarious to the point it makes me wonder if something got lost in translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUSx-H34f6M

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Azran posted:

I'm going through DW7 and I gotta agree with the people who say it's got better storytelling than DW8 but man, the Wu ending is so unintentionally hilarious to the point it makes me wonder if something got lost in translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUSx-H34f6M

That first half has some real Evangelion vibes.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Having a blast playing through pirate warriors 3 for the first time. I'm switching between story and dream mode picking up coins. Do all the coins get used in some way? I've got rare coins like zeff, or the first marks you get for maxing out crew levels, but I don't see anywhere to use them.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Kingtheninja posted:

Having a blast playing through pirate warriors 3 for the first time. I'm switching between story and dream mode picking up coins. Do all the coins get used in some way? I've got rare coins like zeff, or the first marks you get for maxing out crew levels, but I don't see anywhere to use them.

Yes, some of the rare gold coins are used to unlock a character’s special moves or their limit break.

I think most of the gold coins received in Dream Mode are for stat maxing or limit breaks. Special move gold coins are usually unlocked through special objectives in story mode

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

usually a character's last upgrade of a stat will involve those unique gold coins. like all the strawhats have either the last level of their musou bar or their skill slots (i forget which) locked behind the going merry and thousand sunny coins

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ah okay, I was wondering where they'd come in.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Get ready to play Thriller Bark a whole lot if you want the Straw Hats at more than like half power.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Uncapping levels rules though cause you get the special extended combos from kizuna mode all the time.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The coin that bottlenecked my progress was conqueror's haki, it takes a long while to get in dream mode and it's necessary to level break a lot of characters, including Luffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

With Pirate Warriors 3 on sale for like $12 dollars on the Switch, I was wondering if that’s still worth it with Pirate Warriors 4 coming out next year? Are PW sequels generally straight upgrades or are there reasons to go back to older entries?