Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
MTGO Holiday Cube with silver borders :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
“Can I get Oracle text for this card. It’s in karate.”

Judges, let me know what infraction you would recommend to be handed out.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

DQ for unironic racism - he should have used the comedy term "moon language." :colbert:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Match loss for unsportsmanlike conduct.

I’m not a judge but I think this ruling is fine.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

whydirt posted:

Any last minute guesses about the Mystery Boosters before this weekend?

gold bordered reprints that ignore the reserve list

there i am the most optimistic

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

It would be pretty sweet if it was something like gold bordered vintage cube or even legacy cube in the mystery packs.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
The fourth installment - Unreserved

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

stump collector posted:

The fourth installment - Unreserved

What's next? Unreleased?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

Did someone actually say this? :psyduck:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mystery boosters are gonna be bulk rares and draft chaff, wotc's getting in on that sweet sweet repack grift

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Silhouette posted:

Mystery boosters are gonna be bulk rares and draft chaff

so, normal boosters

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Tubgoat posted:

Did someone actually say this? :psyduck:

I'm gonna say yes. a player once called me over for Oracle text on a Chinese traditional card and said "I can't read this ching chong stuff"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It’s gonna be pioneer masters

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sickening posted:

usc minor and a warning, but future incidents of this type of thing can be upgraded to game loss

If the player deliberately asks an Asian judge or opponent (“hey, read this karate for me!”) then an argument could be made for usc major and a match loss

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Paul Zuvella posted:

It’s gonna be pioneer masters
They specifically said it wasn't.

I still think it's a chaos draft of some sort.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Hellsau posted:

It's going to be a pre-made cube, the finished product will be 360 cards for $100. Mostly cool-but-worthless commons, uncommons and rares/mythics, with some card like Lightning Bolt and a few value reprints tossed in. Basically the same amount and quality of reprints they put into an entire set of Commander decks.

The boosters will only be available for magicfests, that's why it doesn't have a set name and CFB said they can only run events "while stocks last". The cube will be black border and only available at your LGS.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheTofuShop posted:

I'm gonna say yes. a player once called me over for Oracle text on a Chinese traditional card and said "I can't read this ching chong stuff"
:ohno:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've always been low key surprised they allow people to use cards with printings for languages they can't read in a game where text is extremely important.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I have English copies of my two Russian cards nearby, just in case.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I have English copies of my two Russian cards nearby, just in case.

You are a gentleperson and a scholar

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I had someone call a judge on me like 20 years ago because I couldn’t quote verbatim the text on my German Anson Maddocks Llanowar Elves.

The judge was visibly annoyed because the guy I was playing would always try to rules lawyer to get free wins.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah that is definitely a stupid example of an rear end in a top hat.

I just know people who are bad at interpreting their cards in english when they are able to look at and read them. I shudder at them having foreign ones

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Had a guy flip a Korean Thing in the Ice and insist that my Bedlam Reveler got bounced because he didn't know the text of a card he was playing. It owned.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Once had a guy try to exile my Sarkhan, Dragonlord with a Korean that 1W instant from Fate Reforged, he was taken aback when I didn't fall for it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I've always been low key surprised they allow people to use cards with printings for languages they can't read in a game where text is extremely important.

I have five Russian Stonehorn Dignitaries and only one English one. I don't know why. I think I picked up the commons and other bulk that someone didn't want when they cracked a box? So my Pauper deck has four Russian cards sleeved up and one English one in the deckbox, which is not legal for a tournament but who cares about that.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

I have five Russian Stonehorn Dignitaries and only one English one. I don't know why. I think I picked up the commons and other bulk that someone didn't want when they cracked a box? So my Pauper deck has four Russian cards sleeved up and one English one in the deckbox, which is not legal for a tournament but who cares about that.

I thought they decided this is legal now as long as it’s really clear which cards are and are not in your 75. So, if your English one is unsleeved, or in a different sleeve, you’re okay.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
There's a local kid who has a deck with a bunch of Japanese cards in it that he bought during a summer he actually spent in Japan. He actually had the common sense to print out English proxies and put them in different colored sleeves that he keeps in the deckbox, and whenever he plays a Japanese card he puts the English proxy on top of it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Playing with foreign cards that are complicated in a tourney is a balls to the walls scumbag move. Like angle-shooting the Llanowar elf is bullshit, everyone knows what that does, but if you sit down across from me with a Chinese Citadel of Bolas or Fires of Invention you’re a trash bag.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

fadam posted:

Just dropped 92 Canadian bucks to finish this. If I lose tonight you owe me big time pal.

How did that go BTW

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sometimes you just happen to already have non-English copies and don't wanna buy more :shrug:

though intentionally going out of your way to play an unreadable deck makes you terrible and when you get owned it owns:

Cactrot posted:

Had a guy flip a Korean Thing in the Ice and insist that my Bedlam Reveler got bounced because he didn't know the text of a card he was playing. It owned.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sometimes foreign copies of cards are cheaper than the english versions so you have the actual card you can play with and a printed out version for reference

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Man I really want to upgrade the Blue Green Crush deck for pioneer play but everything in those colors is crazy right now. I know it won't be an amazing deck so I'm not out to spend time of money but any upgrades I can think of like the mana or sideboard stuff is nuts. drat those colors for having fun and stupid strong cards.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ShaneB posted:

How did that go BTW

2 for 2, got clapped by Bogles and Hardened Scales, but ran over Soul Flayer and some Dimir control pile.

Deck seems strong and is a lot of fun. I’m going to copy Ross Merriam/the Grindcast boys and ditch the Ornithopter/Drum package and bring in interaction, Hangarbacks and that new colourless snake. Gingerbrute is a hell of a card.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

usc minor and a warning, but future incidents of this type of thing can be upgraded to game loss

If the player deliberately asks an Asian judge or opponent (“hey, read this karate for me!”) then an argument could be made for usc major and a match loss

All that makes sense. Does the rules breaker being asian themselves muddy this up at all?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m gonna agree that Mystery Boosters are likely some kind of cube in a box, which is why there’s a difference in how they’re sold for Magicfests vs LGS.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bust Rodd posted:

Playing with foreign cards that are complicated in a tourney is a balls to the walls scumbag move. Like angle-shooting the Llanowar elf is bullshit, everyone knows what that does, but if you sit down across from me with a Chinese Citadel of Bolas or Fires of Invention you’re a trash bag.
I just assume that if you're playing foreign language cards you're trying to bullshit me on what it actually does. I think that they should be treated kind of like the flip card checklists; you have to have (at least) one English language version on hand and visible for your opponents to read when you play it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mystery booster is actually Wizards introducing Historic to Paper and announcing that they actually intend for Arena to not be trashed by standard.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I have some foreign language cards in my commander decks simply because they were the more affordable options. But there's generally little question on what Mox Diamond, Vampiric/Enlightened Tutor do since they're so familiar.

I do have a Japanese alternate-art Saheeli, Sublime Master as an Oathbreaker though, but I keep an English version in my box just in case people forget what she does.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Yawgmoth posted:

I just assume that if you're playing foreign language cards you're trying to bullshit me on what it actually does. I think that they should be treated kind of like the flip card checklists; you have to have (at least) one English language version on hand and visible for your opponents to read when you play it.

So foreign players with a deck in their native language should have to buy it all again in English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sickening posted:

All that makes sense. Does the rules breaker being asian themselves muddy this up at all?

not to me though I haven’t judged in a while. angle shooting being a minor religion among tournament grinders, we don’t want to give people an out to IPG violations