Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

General Olloth posted:

In my opinion you give combiplasma to seekers instead of vets for ZM.

When you blow the plasma you have other ammunition types that are also handy. The small blast one gains shred in ZM and the scatter stops when it hits walls, and the heavy one is OK at still chipping wounds on stuff after the plasma is gone or if you need less punch than plasma.

Also they're BS5 and their gimmick of picking an enemy unit to have preferred enemy on comes up much more reliably in the small game size/forces your opponent to make different deployment choices.

Seekers are amazing and good home for combiweapons, but the choice is between the extra punch of seekers vs. vets objective scoring ability and the fact it’s pretty trivial for a lot of lists to make them basic troops. You can really go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Seekers are amazing and good home for combiweapons, but the choice is between the extra punch of seekers vs. vets objective scoring ability and the fact it’s pretty trivial for a lot of lists to make them basic troops. You can really go either way.
Seekers score too :ssh:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
This seems like it shouldn't be something I need to ask about, however this came out before the switch: 25mm or 32mm bases for marines?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

koreban posted:

This seems like it shouldn't be something I need to ask about, however this came out before the switch: 25mm or 32mm bases for marines?

32mm

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Is there a Champ Industries analog that makes 32mm plastic industrial motif bases that isn't the super expensive GW ones?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
A Cyclops in ZM is beautiful/awful

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Beerdeer posted:

The TKWG Experience™️

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Edit: ty awful app for the double poast.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 5, 2019

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Hey I double posted too!

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 5, 2019

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Vets are better than seekers because they can be your cumpulsory troops, cost less, and outflank. Also better in melee. Seekers own tho and they do more damage more reliably.

koreban posted:

Is there a Champ Industries analog that makes 32mm plastic industrial motif bases that isn't the super expensive GW ones?

After the new ZM rules we are embracing the new 32mm power loader/sentinel meta

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

After the new ZM rules we are embracing the new 32mm power loader/sentinel meta

I emailed Champ industries and asked if he was doing or could do 32mm bases. Maybe I'll hear back. His website is still up.

I also ordered a 3pack of little tractor guys from anvil industries for Cyclops because I had some paypal credit sitting around.

Shapeways had some good enough DA emblem MkIV shoulderpads, tartaros shoulderpads, and boarding shields.

I'm on the fence about a forgeworld order for the DA praetor, contemptor, and leviathan because I love me those models.

Just gotta wait on shipping...

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
I ordered a recast Skoria off Aliexpress. Wish me luck. (I am perfectly happy to buy from Forgeworld and I do, I just wanted something to gently caress around with with my new set-up and practice on/ruin.)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

koreban posted:

I emailed Champ industries and asked if he was doing or could do 32mm bases. Maybe I'll hear back. His website is still up.

I also ordered a 3pack of little tractor guys from anvil industries for Cyclops because I had some paypal credit sitting around.

Shapeways had some good enough DA emblem MkIV shoulderpads, tartaros shoulderpads, and boarding shields.

I'm on the fence about a forgeworld order for the DA praetor, contemptor, and leviathan because I love me those models.

Just gotta wait on shipping...
Dark Angels have an awesome aesthetic going right now with the recent FW releases. They've helped affirm my choice in legion despite the long wait. :v: I am really optimistic on their eventual unique units, but I have no idea what they might be. The only things they've mentioned so far are terran robots and I am very down for those. I know we're bound to get some knightly melee unit, but I hope they focus more on the weird tech angle.
Dreadwing destroyer terminators, please.:dogcited:

Rules-wise, you're in for a bit of an uphill battle as DA are the only legion still with beta rules. The Blood Angels and White Scars didn't change much from their original rules so I'm expecting them to stay similar too. The bonus to swords is actually kind of nice even if it is limited in application (tactical squads, assault squads, and vets get some mileage out of it) and the unique DA wargear is all great, particularly stasis grenades and acid rounds. I'm hopeful that that list will get expanded in book 9. However, their downside is kind of ridiculous and you will lose a lot of close games as a result of it. It can be mitigated by running multiple smaller units or taking units like dreadnought talons which split after deployment. Dark Angels aren't trash tier or anything, they're still marines. They're just a little under-tuned right now compared to the other legions.

That said, their unique Rites of War are both fantastic. Ironwing and Ravenwing are extremely specific though and can be hard to build lists for. They also don't have much overlap so if you want to run one, pick one and focus on it first. I chose Ironwing and I will be buried under my pile of tanks and dreadnoughts. It is totally fine to focus on smaller games (like ZM) and ignore RoWs for now. A lot of the generic ones may be worth considering though, particularly Pride of the Legion which works perfectly as pseudo-Deathwing and won't require a lot of investment in expensive resin vehicles/jetbikes/whatever. The plastic MkIII and MkIV kits can easily be assembled as vets if you want to go this route.

Finally, if you're near the Longview crew, may god have mercy upon your soul because they won't. :rip:

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I ordered a recast Skoria off Aliexpress. Wish me luck. (I am perfectly happy to buy from Forgeworld and I do, I just wanted something to gently caress around with with my new set-up and practice on/ruin.)
Good luck.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

Finally, if you're near the Longview crew, may god have mercy upon your soul because they won't. :rip:

I'm in Portland. I used to play at Panascope's house regularly, so I'm savvy to the "if you're not cheatin, you're not tryin" meta.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

koreban posted:

I'm in Portland. I used to play at Panascope's house regularly, so I'm savvy to the "if you're not cheatin, you're not tryin" meta.

The preferred term is now "Get mad or stay bad" I believe.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Instead of painting my toxx I am trying to rush out a couple of proteus raiders for the next event. The breeding program is a work in progress ...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
its true thou, Dark Angles are the only beta legion

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Killer_Bees! posted:

Instead of painting my toxx I am trying to rush out a couple of proteus raiders for the next event. The breeding program is a work in progress ...

A good crop so far.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

its true thou, Dark Angles are the only beta legion

Rude.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
This is a good write up of 30K, nice work Twisted.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hot drat. It’s like goonhammer writers exist just for me.

Thanks dudes.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Good stuff.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

quote:

There is a Legion to suit everyone, and none are necessarily better or worse than each other – they all play differently.
Haha yeah but Sons of Horus are the best.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

panascope posted:

Haha yeah but Sons of Horus are the best.

They do seem to have the best color scheme.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Also the best looking helmets.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

No, the Raven Guard are best known for the beakie helms.

Sons of Horus helmets are up there, though.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Helmets? Who needs those. One legion is so special they send in their boys with padded ones instead.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Give me Sarum or give me death guard

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

There’s a reason everyone steals dark angel helmets for their conversions, imo

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

BULBASAUR posted:

Helmets? Who needs those. One legion is so special they send in their boys with padded ones instead.

And let’s not even start with how lame right-side-up Bolters are!

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Got my first game in last night with a full Ruinstorm Daemon list against Booley's Blood Angles. We played 2500 points and used the first scenario in the Signus campaign where the Marine player needs to have more of his units in his deployment zone (24" in from a short edge) at the end of the game than the daemon player.

My list was (Eminations of Horror in parentheses):
Generic Dominion
Flying Daemon Lord (Rending Melee, 3+ Armor, Psyker 3)
Greater Daemon (Defensive Grenades, -1T aura, Psyker 1)
Chosen (Defensive Grenades, 12" Armorbane attack, Psyker 2)
3 Units of 10 Lesser Daemons (Flamer per 3 models, Brotherhood of Psykers 1)
3 Daemon Beasts (Rending Melee, Brotherhood of Psykers 1)
2 Shrikes (Rending Melee, 12" Armorbane attack)
2 units of 3 Brutes (Rending Melee, Smash)
3 Greater Beasts (Rending Melee, 3+ Armor, -1T aura)

Blood Angels:
Day of Revelation
Jump Praetor
Ralderon and 4 Crimson Paladins in a Phobos Land Raider
2 units of 10 Tacticals in Melta Rhinos
2 units of 15 Assault Marines
10 Dawnbreakers
5 Angel's Tears with Assault Cannons
Lightning full of Phosphex Bombs

I deployed 3 portals in a line 12" out from the BA's deployment zone. Because he went first, had a lot of deep strikers, and the scenario allowed the reroll of deep strike scatter, Booley got the idea to try to choke out my portals by surrounding them. This would have been a pretty big move, but came one bad run roll short, and only surrounded 2 portals. Ultimately the plan backfired, because now his forces were going to be stuck fighting my units early game when they are at their strongest and near my portals where I can reroll failed invulnerable saves.

Long story short, my dice were extremely hot (making many 5+ invulnerable saves against a lot of insta-death attacks) and he was rolling very poorly (characters whiffing 4 out of 5 attacks etc) and I had ground him down to nothing by turn 4.

On paper, spamming the psychic shriek power seemed good (Roll 3D6, each point exceeding target's Ld does a wound with no saves of any kind). It wasn't good, it was downright dirty. It was removing dawnbreakers and terminators by the handful and even caught Ralderon for 7 damage.

At the end of the day, the game confirmed a lot of my suspicions that you really have to tech differently when going up against daemons, which at this point in the meta, most people don't have the unit options to do. Stuff like autocannon teams and sicaran punishers would have really wrecked my poo poo. While stuff that is traditionally good like power fists or lascannons were either getting saved against, or dealing 1 wound to a 6 wound model. The dawnbreakers were doing some heavy lifting until I screamed them off the table, having killed both the Greater Lord and Greater Daemon.

Shrikes are amazing, they were just bouncing around the backfield like pinballs with incredible mobility wrecking all of the soft targets.

A heavy psychic skew is probably the typhon of the daemon list. I would probably not choose that option again for friendly games.

Ghazk fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 8, 2019

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

How's this look for babbys first crack at a 30k list with ZM in mind:

++ Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1,000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Centurion [85pts]: Artificer Armour, Calibanite War Blade, Melta Bombs, On Foot, Refractor Field
. Chainsword or Combat Blade: Combat Blade
. Consul: Centurion, Legion

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [185pts]
. Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Extra Armour, Molecular Acid Shells
. . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Twin-linked Bolter

Terminator Squad, Legion [175pts]
. Tartaros Pattern Terminator Armour
. Terminator Sergeant, Legion: Calibanite War Blade, Combi-Bolter
. Terminators, Legion: Combi-Bolter
. . Power Weapon: Power Sword

+ Troops +

Breacher Siege Squad, Legion [200pts]: 9x Breacher Siege Space Marines, Legion
. Breacher Siege Sergeant, Legion: Bolter

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [155pts]: Bolters, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion
. Additional Wargear: Additional Chainswords/Combat Blades, Vexilla, Legion
. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Bolter

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Flamer Plasma Repeater [200pts]: Flamer, Plasma Repeater, 4x Space Marines, Legion, Support Squad
. Sergeant, Legion: Bolt Pistol, Flamer

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: I: Dark Angels, Loyalist

Rite of War

+ Use Playtest Rules +

Use Playtest Rules: Playtest Rules Off

++ Total: [1,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
God drat lads that is some quality 30k hams your duking it out with there, good job!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

koreban posted:

No AP2 means Terminators will clean your clock.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

panascope posted:

No AP2 means Terminators will clean your clock.

Support squad was supposed to have plasma repeaters. Options being in 40 different places meant I missed the flamer button. Points didn't change, though.

e: also I couldn't find where to add cyclops demo vehicles. Is that allied in via a second detachment?

koreban fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 9, 2019

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
My Custoady buddy posted pictures from our Friday game:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4nlAgEn5dx/

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

koreban posted:

Support squad was supposed to have plasma repeaters. Options being in 40 different places meant I missed the flamer button. Points didn't change, though.

e: also I couldn't find where to add cyclops demo vehicles. Is that allied in via a second detachment?

Cyclops bomb cars are from the solar auxilia list.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Zasze posted:

Cyclops bomb cars are from the solar auxilia list.

"This game needs more VBIEDs" - goons

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

JcDent posted:

My Custoady buddy posted pictures from our Friday game:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4nlAgEn5dx/

How were the custodes in ZM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

koreban posted:

++ Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1,000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Centurion [85pts]: Artificer Armour, Calibanite War Blade, Melta Bombs, On Foot, Refractor Field
. Chainsword or Combat Blade: Combat Blade
. Consul: Centurion, Legion

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [185pts]
. Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion: Extra Armour, Molecular Acid Shells

Terminator Squad, Legion [175pts]
. Tartaros Pattern Terminator Armour
. Terminator Sergeant, Legion: Calibanite War Blade, Combi-Bolter

+ Troops +

Breacher Siege Squad, Legion [200pts]: 9x Breacher Siege Space Marines, Legion
. Breacher Siege Sergeant, Legion: Bolter

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [155pts]: Bolters, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion
. Additional Wargear: Additional Chainswords/Combat Blades, Vexilla, Legion
. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Bolter

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Flamer Plasma Repeater [200pts]: Flamer, Plasma Repeater, 4x Space Marines, Legion, Support Squad
. Sergeant, Legion: Bolt Pistol, Flamer

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: I: Dark Angels, Loyalist

Rite of War

+ Use Playtest Rules +

Use Playtest Rules: Playtest Rules Off

++ Total: [1,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

With ZM you only need one compulsory troop choice, so I’d choose between the breachers and the tacs and then spend the points you save on wargear and padding out squads. Also, sword termies is fluffy for DA but I really think you’d benefit from taking at least a couple powerfists in the squad. Beyond that it looks like you’re covering your bases pretty well- just be SUPER careful with the plasmas since they only have a 6” range if you move.