Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that was my last org - tech startup that then started hiring tons of lawyers and finance people during major expansion. gmail labels in outlook is quite an adventure

also no calendar or contacts sync unless you want to use their sync shim which not only doesn't actually work for sync but also does some hugely hosed up poo poo with the outlook profile and renders PST exports essentially worthless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

also no calendar or contacts sync unless you want to use their sync shim which not only doesn't actually work for sync but also does some hugely hosed up poo poo with the outlook profile and renders PST exports essentially worthless

yeah i has to troubleshoot the sanctioned addon and in one instance it tried some hosed up upstream commit of outlook folder layout into gmail and i ended up wasting good 4 hours to assemble emails into some legible to web interface collections, which completely helldumped the outlook in reverse. 2/10 would not recommend

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

carry on then posted:

rude of you to dismiss the oracle cloud out of hand

better dismissing it out of hand than trying to get an oracle breach of contact lawsuit dismissed in court.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I wonder how many companies refuse to touch GPL software under any circumstances but are currently using the Oracle JDK in violation the license agreement?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

mystes posted:

I wonder how many companies refuse to touch GPL software under any circumstances but are currently using the Oracle JDK in violation the license agreement?

it's more the JRE license than the JDK one that's the problem. It's still pretty poo poo but I can understand the JDK being a paid thing, but the primary runtime for one of the most popular languages around not being free is a very Oracle step

and yes I know OpenJDK mostly works as a replacement, that's besides the point

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
mostly is sort of the problem because a lot of times you have to manually tweak things to get it working for any given product, which doesn't scale well even if it's just basic poo poo like env paths

iirc amazon corretto manages to be a better drop-in replacement, but i don't know if there are any landmines hidden in the license agreement

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cinci zoo sniper posted:

topic for random musings - for a 2019 greenfield project, what are the scenarios when azure is preferred to aws or gcp? let's assume a non-dod/feds oriented startup that has equal availability of people who know all the platforms

pricing

ms sql

that's it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Private Speech posted:

it's more the JRE license than the JDK one that's the problem. It's still pretty poo poo but I can understand the JDK being a paid thing, but the primary runtime for one of the most popular languages around not being free is a very Oracle step

and yes I know OpenJDK mostly works as a replacement, that's besides the point

how dense are you

openjdk is an oracle-supported product. it is the upstream from which oracle java is derived. it is the primary runtime.

oracle was tired of branded java being the locus for a bunch of un-paid support bullshit. better to move that poo poo to openjdk mailing lists

if you want an oracle support contract for a java runtime, oracle is happy to sell you one

if you want a free java runtime, that is also available

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the “3 billion devices run java!” image during installation always seemed like a threat

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you cant cut back on java licensing! you will regret this!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i am actually glad that oracle has shitcanned free oracle java

openjdk should always be the default choice and now arch-conservative corporate it departments are being dragged kicking and screaming to where they should have gone to start with: a paid support contract, or the free and open runtime

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pricing

ms sql

that's it

gcp is a non-starter unless you're 100% bought into the kubernetes fad, which leaves only aws.

when it comes to aws, azure is better for:
- identity
- hybrid cloud
- developer tools
- databases
- anything related to microsoft software in any way
- companies in regions served by azure but not aws
- amazon's direct competitors
- companies that will soon be amazon's direct competitors (approximately every company in the world)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gc pubsub and spanner are actually extremely good

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I work in the middle east, where most companies are very wary of placing data outside the gcc / their own country. Microsoft's data centers in the UAE will earn them a shitload of money

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

orange sky posted:

I work in the middle east, where most companies are very wary of placing data outside the gcc / their own country. Microsoft's data centers in the UAE will earn them a shitload of money

total technology spending in the uae is extremely small, so no, it won't

even if microsoft had 100% market share among uae / gcc firms it would be a pissant amount of money

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

gcp is a non-starter unless you're 100% bought into the kubernetes fad, which leaves only aws.

when it comes to aws, azure is better for:
- identity
- hybrid cloud
- developer tools
- databases
- anything related to microsoft software in any way
- companies in regions served by azure but not aws
- amazon's direct competitors
- companies that will soon be amazon's direct competitors (approximately every company in the world)

i'm starting to wonder if you actually work for microsoft

it's hard to believe a case of brainworms this bad would happen just working at a regular windows shop

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

total technology spending in the uae is extremely small, so no, it won't

even if microsoft had 100% market share among uae / gcc firms it would be a pissant amount of money

Saudi companies will probably go for it too. To a certain extent, maybe Egyptian companies, depending on the link.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's hard to believe a case of brainworms this bad would happen just working at a regular windows shop

he does. like, he doesn't even try to hide it, he uses what's pretty clearly internal terminology all the time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well that is certainly letting down the yospos ideal of highly objective commentary on important computer matters

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pricing

ms sql

that's it

afaik for pricing its all swings and roundabouts as you'll save on one thing and pay more for another

but cloud pricing is a non-starter when one month of a consultant is the same as our entire cloud budget. It's modern bikeshedding, i tell my boss as he wants to cut our sql server in half

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am actually glad that oracle has shitcanned free oracle java

openjdk should always be the default choice and now arch-conservative corporate it departments are being dragged kicking and screaming to where they should have gone to start with: a paid support contract, or the free and open runtime

What?

How does that benefit anyone but Oracle.

I don't see why they couldn't sell support contracts while keeping the runtime itself free, as Sun has

e: except b/c they're a bunch of greedy assholes Oracle of course

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 6, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

here's the pricing table (from here)

truly a solution for every it department out there

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 6, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

n bsd is talking about banks and fortune 50 companies and absolutely no one else, so sometimes you get weird seeming takes

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

carry on then posted:

he does. like, he doesn't even try to hide it, he uses what's pretty clearly internal terminology all the time

you two should make your yosposters.xlsx files public so that we can figure out how you arrived at such disparate backstories about me.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: sure thing,

quote:

Bill Gates thinks Windows Mobile would have beaten Android without Microsoft’s antitrust woes

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/6/20952370/bill-gates-windows-mobile-android-competition-comments-microsoft-antitrust

pram
Jun 10, 2001
coincidentally HP and RIM believe they would have dominated the space if google and apple didn’t.. uh.. exist

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

bill's argument seems to be that, if left unchecked by the doj, then he would have paid more attention to mobile, and the pocket pc/windows mobile efforts of the very early 2000s would have been successful. this seems doubtful given the hardware available at the time, but microsoft did have a massive head start and they certainly squandered it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Windows Mobile probably just made it take longer for Microsoft to release Windows Phone in the end, although I don't know what Windows Mobile 7 was like so I'm not sure exactly how far behind they were in 2010.

The real problem is just that there was only a window of a couple years to become the second smartphone OS and Windows Phone came way too late for that.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 7, 2019

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
edgium is good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

Windows Mobile probably just made it take longer for Microsoft to release Windows Phone in the end, although I don't know what Windows Mobile 7 was like so I'm not sure exactly how far behind they were in 2010.

The real problem is just that there was only a window of a couple years to become the second smartphone OS and Windows Phone came way too late for that.

the real problem was they wanted to license their os and have minimum specs, and android didn't

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone made a joke about edge and the masturbating tactic of the same name

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

no plz fill that void

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
microsoft edge, more like masturbatory edging amiright????

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

🎶 one step closer to Microsoft Edge and I’m about to nut 🎶

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

microsoft edge, more like masturbatory edging amiright????

u delivered also innovative use of the word tactic

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tactical masturbation, truly the cutting edge

KDE Perry
Dec 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer
we'll sell you the whole os, but you're only gonna need the edge

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

echinopsis posted:

has anyone made a joke about edge and the masturbating tactic of the same name

I have, op

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

whatever happened to that feature ms teased about being to group related programs in a single window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Joe 30330 posted:

edgium is good

It's pretty much a carbon copy of Chrome, I see no reason to act like it's special somehow.

You could have had this browser for years.