Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

A little bit of a rough day in AI. CornHolio, I’m sorry to hear about your dad. My parents are getting older and mortality is becoming more real. T-square; fingers crossed for the best results could be.

Spent all night with my oldest. She was yarfing every thirty minutes until about 4 AM. She’s had a rough day. My wife was sick all weekend. I ended up doing a half day at work and coming home to take care of them. Fingers crossed the boys don’t get this. I can be sick all day, but don’t let my babies get sick :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

ilkhan posted:

How much for the 980?

Sent you a PM.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Sent you a PM.
Got it. I'll get back to you. I don't have a loop yet and my 970 is going strong. Pregnancy is eating up the fun money budget right now.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Got it. I'll get back to you. I don't have a loop yet and my 970 is going strong. Pregnancy is eating up the fun money budget right now.

No problem. I'll hold it until at least the end of the month for you. No rush.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

OK, either something is fucky with the forums, I posted a post that should have been in my personal thread somewhere else, or I just plain failed to hit the submit button and closed the window. I know I typed up a post about what I did to my garage over the weekend, but it's clearly not there now...
They say the first to go is your memory. I forget what the second is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^ Yeah, there is something loving with the forums right now. Getting timeouts and 502 errors.

From the cringeworthy dept...

So it's my birthday today. Got into work, had a meeting this AM and noticed I had a missed call and a VM. Listened to it, it was my mom wishing me a happy birthday and she'll call this evening.

I replied to her via text something like "Hi, love you. Talk tonight :)" and sent it.

About 10 minutes later get a text from someone (not mom) and reply.. but then I notice my last text before that was not sent to "Mom" - it was sent to my female Taekwondo instructor that I'm pretty close to (had her over for dinner Saturday). To make it worse I actually *will* be seeing her tonight as there is class.

Sent her a reply "Well, that was awkward. Not meant for you. Mom left me a birthday message"

I don't think she has access to her phone until lunchtime and I haven't seen a reply from her yet so I'm optimistic any feeling of WTF she gets will only last 1 second as she should immediately see my follow up right under it.

:ughh:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 5, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got pulled into the building managers office for a minute this morning. We have this weird fuckaroo in the building, he does and says a ton of odd poo poo and his worldview is kind of loving strange so I joked that he must have escaped from a cult or something. Turns out he spent some time in a religious commune as a kid and that's why he's a weirdo. I didn't get a pip or anything, the boss just wanted to let me know so I didn't hurt his feelings.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Positive note: thing that came off was not cancerous.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Liquid Communism posted:

gently caress yeah. Cancer is awful.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Just spent $229 on 2zzge specific serpentine tensioner and belt, and another $53 on on a serpentine belt tool so I don't booger it up like the last idiot. Cross referencing parts, I came up with a Dayco tensioner and Gates belt that SHOULD have worked, but it wasn't worth the ~$40 in savings to get something that may not be right.

Could be worse - local dealer price was $380 plus tax. The above price was also from a Toyota dealer (Mcgeorge Toyota). Initially my local dealer said they could match other Toyota prices, but when I showed them they couldn't get anywhere close. :suicide:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Expensive weight loss.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
This year's AI:SS thread is up, sorry it's about a week behind due to some personal poo poo.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903165

Come and join the most wonderful Secret Santa event on the whole of the internet!

slothrop fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 6, 2019

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

slothrop posted:

This year's AI:SS thread is up, sorry it's about a week behind due to some personal poo poo.

Come and join the most wonderful Secret Santa event on the whole of the internet!

Hell yeah!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

slidebite posted:

^^ Yeah, there is something loving with the forums right now. Getting timeouts and 502 errors.

From the cringeworthy dept...

So it's my birthday today. Got into work, had a meeting this AM and noticed I had a missed call and a VM. Listened to it, it was my mom wishing me a happy birthday and she'll call this evening.

I replied to her via text something like "Hi, love you. Talk tonight :)" and sent it.

About 10 minutes later get a text from someone (not mom) and reply.. but then I notice my last text before that was not sent to "Mom" - it was sent to my female Taekwondo instructor that I'm pretty close to (had her over for dinner Saturday). To make it worse I actually *will* be seeing her tonight as there is class.

Sent her a reply "Well, that was awkward. Not meant for you. Mom left me a birthday message"

I don't think she has access to her phone until lunchtime and I haven't seen a reply from her yet so I'm optimistic any feeling of WTF she gets will only last 1 second as she should immediately see my follow up right under it.

:ughh:

Less cringey than that, but I very casually and what must have seemed at random invited my mechanic to watch a movie via text. I didn't realize it until he replied "yeah not much of a movie guy" and I had to explain that I thought I was texting my daughter. She had texted me but I was talking to him earlier that day and it defaulted to him when I opened the app.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hey, do you guys want more cancer news?

My girlfriend's scans came back negative yesterday after three months of weekly chemo. They took her off of chemo yesterday and started a regimen to keep that poo poo away. Basically her cancer cells had specific estrogen/hormone receptors, and that's what the cells were feeding off of. For now she'll go in every three weeks to get her usually scheduled herceptin and perjetta infusions that target the receptors on the cancer cells to continue beating on anything that's left undetected. She also got started on a monthly little injected dissolv-ey pip thingy that tricks the brain into inducing menopause to stop her body from producing estrogen, and a daily oral pill to assist in beating on any cancer cells. If she responds well to that, we'll probably have her ovaries surgically removed to fully eliminate estrogen production. But no more chemo, she can start feeling more like herself again, and go do stuff, and not feel sick all of the time.

I haven't seen her as happy and excited as she was yesterday in months :unsmith:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CHEER ENFORCEMENT: coloring (seriously you guys its relaxing) , used car shopping from the past.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'd send you one from the UK but according to the dipshits of society we've banned them...

Good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
bold moves by toyota offering a three year anticorrosion warranty

pretty good reminder of how much better made cars are in 2019

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Nice to see you are still an rear end in a top hat.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

T-Square posted:

I haven't seen her as happy and excited as she was yesterday in months :unsmith:

Hell yeah dude, gently caress a cancer.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bold moves by toyota offering a three year anticorrosion warranty

pretty good reminder of how much better made cars are in 2019

It's still wild to me seeing like less than five year old Silverados/Sierras that are all shiny and new uunnntilll you get to the back and the rear wheel arches/bed are completely rotted out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Only -22 out and i can hear my fuel pump pumping jello

T-Square posted:

It's still wild to me seeing like less than five year old Silverados/Sierras that are all shiny and new uunnntilll you get to the back and the rear wheel arches/bed are completely rotted out.

And this was well known, 2008s rotted out by 2012, and i still see 2015s rotting.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

T-Square posted:

My girlfriend's scans came back negative yesterday after three months of weekly chemo. They took her off of chemo yesterday and started a regimen to keep that poo poo away. Basically her cancer cells had specific estrogen/hormone receptors, and that's what the cells were feeding off of. For now she'll go in every three weeks to get her usually scheduled herceptin and perjetta infusions that target the receptors on the cancer cells to continue beating on anything that's left undetected. She also got started on a monthly little injected dissolv-ey pip thingy that tricks the brain into inducing menopause to stop her body from producing estrogen, and a daily oral pill to assist in beating on any cancer cells. If she responds well to that, we'll probably have her ovaries surgically removed to fully eliminate estrogen production. But no more chemo, she can start feeling more like herself again, and go do stuff, and not feel sick all of the time.

This is some good poo poo

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

https://youtu.be/-sl-tuo579U

Phone posting, but worth the click.

Seriously, this channel is gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRbS7TDoDRQ

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

slothrop posted:

This needs more :siren: SIRENS used :siren:. Everyone that has never done this, and everyone that has done this should participate if capable

T-Square posted:

But no more chemo, she can start feeling more like herself again, and go do stuff, and not feel sick all of the time.

:five:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Thanks internet friendos. Fringe benefit, having children already weren't part of our life plan before all of this, so now my mom can't whine at me about it anymore because we'll be incapable of conceiving children :smug:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

T-Square posted:

My girlfriend's scans came back negative yesterday after three months of weekly chemo.
<snip>

That's the best, I'm going to celebrate for you!

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Going to go see the UP Big Boy with my Grandpa Friday morning :)

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtgtsorjKBk

Apparently smokeless oil exists, he names it in the comments. Super shady but I still like the channel.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

T-Square posted:

Hell yeah!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rdb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtgtsorjKBk

Apparently smokeless oil exists, he names it in the comments. Super shady but I still like the channel.

Oh, don't watch anything other than the car-destroying videos, too. The pair of them are seriously stereotypical "used car guys," but drat, there is some funny poo poo... look at the Durango they tun into a shop-vac. If you don't laugh as the Magnum V8 sucks Cheerios into the intake, then you have no soul.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Oh, don't watch anything other than the car-destroying videos, too. The pair of them are seriously stereotypical "used car guys," but drat, there is some funny poo poo... look at the Durango they tun into a shop-vac. If you don't laugh as the Magnum V8 sucks Cheerios into the intake, then you have no soul.

This is some of the most bizarre poo poo, I can't stop watching

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
goodbye old friend

not worth the effort to part out or sell so i donated it. 200k HARD miles i put on when i bought it new. I beat the poo poo outta that car and had a blast doing it. surprisingly reliable for a chrysler all things considered and I've owned my share of lovely chryslers but i stretched it as thin as it would go. parts are impossible to find and by the time i parked it in my garage to think about what i was gonna do it was up for its third t-belt, another clutch, another set of control arms, short in the stereo harness that prevented the car from starting if there was a stereo installed, a short in the cluster harness that would randomly shut off the cluster (super fun when it happened while running), short in the cam sensor circuit that would cause all kinds of whacky poo poo. it was rear ended a few years ago. not too bad but the rear doors never lined up right afterwards. Oh, both front window motors blew out.

I'm kinda sad about it but what a basket case. A+ would buy again though (new).

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

The SRT-4 is a buzz box I should have totally bought during the sweet spot of depreciation. They just embarrassed cars well above their punching weight. I respected them for sure. Having ridden right seat in one with a giant turbo I can say it wasn’t the fastest car I’d ridden in, but it’s top 3 most terrifying things I’ve been in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We have a pretty large SRT4 group here locally and they're all shockingly nice and cool guys. I think there's about 9 of them altogether and they'll roll out to shows together and man is it neat to see that many clean neons.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The SRT-4 is a buzz box I should have totally bought during the sweet spot of depreciation. They just embarrassed cars well above their punching weight. I respected them for sure. Having ridden right seat in one with a giant turbo I can say it wasn’t the fastest car I’d ridden in, but it’s top 3 most terrifying things I’ve been in.

oh for sure. really god drat fast for what they were when they were sold but I never felt safe in it. Especially the 03's like mine with an open diff.

Not too long ago while it was just kinda sitting in my driveway someone left a note on it one day saying they wanted to buy it. I was on the fence about selling it at the time and called the guy. we chatted for a bit and he didn't seem to know much about the car. towards the end of the call he said he would be buying it for his daughter and lol nope nope nope. I don't want your daughters death on my conscious my dude. he says awww come on it cant be that bad. Ummmm Neon's aren't exactly known for structural rigidity on their own and mine was just under 300 to just one wheel. she's gonna die in 6 months if it doesn't explode before then. Never heard from him again :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

T-Square posted:

That is awesome man. We find out about my stepdad within the next couple of weeks ourselves. Saw him 2 weekends ago and he was doing *awesome* with no real negative side effects from the chemo. We're cautiously optimistic.

LloydDobler posted:

Less cringey than that, but I very casually and what must have seemed at random invited my mechanic to watch a movie via text. I didn't realize it until he replied "yeah not much of a movie guy" and I had to explain that I thought I was texting my daughter. She had texted me but I was talking to him earlier that day and it defaulted to him when I opened the app.
Hah. Well, could have been more awkward if he accepted.

All went well with my situation. She just laughed when she saw my text at lunch... but I did the same god drat thing later that day (not a love one) but sent her a work text. She must think I'm a total idiot that has no idea how to use a phone. Whelp.

Also, new computer parts are ordered and should have tomorrow. New PC is going to utilize the existing case and bulk drives and 1080ti but my OS drive will be instead a 1TB 970 EVO M.2 and finally making the plunge to Win 10.

I gave a long hard look at a new Ryzen, and I *drat near* jumped ship but stayed with Intel just because of the gaming edge... although I have zero doubt a Ryzen would have been more than ample.

i9-9900K w/32GB.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

slidebite posted:

Also, new computer parts are ordered and should have tomorrow.

You'll love the nvme drive (and win10 is actually faster than 7, shame about the ads); it really is an improvement over a SATA SSD. I think the vanilla 970 evo is one gen old, but it's still fast as hell.

I'm still using a sandy bridge machine, which has PCIe 2.0, so no nvme support. It's hackable in, but with the slower bus, probably not worth it. That's the one thing making me think about upgrading, even though my machine is running perfectly fine.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Raluek posted:

You'll love the nvme drive (and win10 is actually faster than 7, shame about the ads); it really is an improvement over a SATA SSD. I think the vanilla 970 evo is one gen old, but it's still fast as hell.

I'm still using a sandy bridge machine, which has PCIe 2.0, so no nvme support. It's hackable in, but with the slower bus, probably not worth it. That's the one thing making me think about upgrading, even though my machine is running perfectly fine.

Wait, what ads in Win10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I love fuel issues in diesels... our big Massey tractor was playing up and dying under load. When you ran the revs up an air bubble appeared in the fuel bowl... service guy suggested checking the inlet screen on the lift pump.

This is what greeted us inside the pump....

The machine spends most of its time slashing, and its on its 4th fuel cap cos they get lost or forgotten or fall off so it’s inhaled a LOT of chaff into the tanks.

The worst thing is... the end of the pick up is 2” off the bottom of the 200L tank, so we’re running it down at the moment and I get to drain and flush the tank next week... including a 2” deep layer of poo poo off the tank floor...